matek's training log

matek

13 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks! I really pumped up myself for the 220lb single, but it wasn't that bad. Next time I do OHP I will go a little bit heavier. 

I'm finding that "pumping" myself up makes a huge difference. Especially with grip, there is a huge connection with the mind and hands. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

100 kg OHP is very strong great job man!!!!

Thanks man! Next time I'm trying 102.5kg, that's basically my bw. 

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm finding that "pumping" myself up makes a huge difference. Especially with grip, there is a huge connection with the mind and hands. 

For sure. If something is actually heavy for most of my body, it's easy for me to get into the zone (I think this is obvious from my bending videos). But for grip, especially thick bar and pinch I find this to be difficult because I feel like my legs and back are doing almost nothing. I have to "trick" my brain to really activate my CNS for these, but I guess it will get better as I get used to it. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, matek said:

For sure. If something is actually heavy for most of my body, it's easy for me to get into the zone (I think this is obvious from my bending videos). But for grip, especially thick bar and pinch I find this to be difficult because I feel like my legs and back are doing almost nothing. I have to "trick" my brain to really activate my CNS for these, but I guess it will get better as I get used to it. 

I am sure you will destroy it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, matek said:

I should start doing something for my legs.. I do hindu squats and weighted carries.  I guess the Napalm Nightmare DL'S are hitting my legs and rowing has made them more muscular, but I'm doing myself a disservice.  I really want to learn Pistol Squats.

I'm finding with the Rolling Grip Thing, I really need to focus and I lift it way easier. 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I should start doing something for my legs.. I do hindu squats and weighted carries.  I guess the Napalm Nightmare DL'S are hitting my legs and rowing has made them more muscular, but I'm doing myself a disservice.  I really want to learn Pistol Squats.

I'm finding with the Rolling Grip Thing, I really need to focus and I lift it way easier. 

It's been many years since I've done those, but pistol squats are awesome! 

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

You need some real weight for legs man pistol squats are never going to get your legs big.

I personally think it is a trash exercise and belongs in the garbage next to the smith machine.

Weighted Step ups,lunges and bulgarian split squats are way better.

Also sled drags are probably a lot better for legs if you want to do a conditioning based exercise for legs.

Just my two cents I am not saying what you are doing is wrong.

Edited by DevilErik

11 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

You need some real weight for legs man pistol squats are never going to get your legs big.

I personally think it is a trash exercise and belongs in the garbage next to the smith machine.

Weighted Step ups,lunges and bulgarian split squats are way better.

Also sled drags are probably a lot better for legs if you want to do a conditioning based exercise for legs.

Just my two cents I am not saying what you are doing is wrong.

Your right. I had tons of lower back issues when I was younger so I never squared. I think the last few years of stretching and learning to squat really low has corrected it. But I’ve still been afraid to lift heavy. I still want to learn pistols. 

i actually like goblet squats and would love to goblet squat my inch some day.

• Like 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Your right. I had tons of lower back issues when I was younger so I never squared. I think the last few years of stretching and learning to squat really low has corrected it. But I’ve still been afraid to lift heavy. I still want to learn pistols. 

i actually like goblet squats and would love to goblet squat my inch some day.

Goblet squats can be great after your heavy work for like sets of 20 in my opinion I also used to incorporate them.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Please elaborate. Just to make sure we're on the same page 😄: pistol squats are deep one leg squats with your own bw, and when getting stronger, holding a kettlebell/dumbbell, right?

According to my experience, it can get your legs quite strong. Not necessarily big though, I agree with that, but that's about the routine. And pistol squat requires much less equipment/weight compared to back squat (obviously), lunges or goblet squats. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matek said:

Please elaborate. Just to make sure we're on the same page 😄: pistol squats are deep one leg squats with your own bw, and when getting stronger, holding a kettlebell/dumbbell, right?

According to my experience, it can get your legs quite strong. Not necessarily big though, I agree with that, but that's about the routine. And pistol squat requires much less equipment/weight compared to back squat (obviously), lunges or goblet squats. 

The main problem is the instability and often not being able to get the same range of motion consistently because of that.

Not having a consistent range of motion leads to less hypertrophy and strength gains.

This also makes it hard to load because loading this exercise only exacerbates the instability problem.

Don't get me wrong I don't believe there are any inherently bad exercises this exercise just has a lot of issues.

I also don't think it is possible to get strong legs with pistol squats squatting your body weight with one leg no matter how much weight you are holding is simply not enough to get strong in my opinion.

People have different opinions about what is considered strong or not so if you don't care about squatting 180-225-270 kg then pistol squats are perfectly fine.

This is obviously just my opinion I am in no way mocking people that decide to utilize pistol squats.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, DevilErik said:

The main problem is the instability and often not being able to get the same range of motion consistently because of that.

Not having a consistent range of motion leads to less hypertrophy and strength gains.

This also makes it hard to load because loading this exercise only exacerbates the instability problem.

I agree with the instability problem; compared to back squat, pistol squat is definitely a "feat" that requires more skill. I think who does/want to do pistol squats appreciate this aspect though.

People have different opinions about what is considered strong or not 

I agree, that's the thing. In my opinion, pistol squatting with the beast kettlebell (48kg) is quite strong and just requires a strong hamstring and quad. That being said, I wouldn't compare it to back squats, because it's just too different (and the "feat" aspect). 

But not everyone has access to a rack, bar, enough weights, etc. Pistol squat in this aspect is convenient; with no or minimum equipment you can get a good leg workout - if you learn how to balance your body. For example, you do 6x8 or smg like that.

This is obviously just my opinion I am in no way mocking people that decide to utilize pistol squats.

Nah don't worry it didn't come out that way👍

• Like 2

2022/09/01 Pull

It's already September. Time flies.

Bodyweight is 104kg/229lb. Slowly, but my bw keeps increasing. But it seems like it doesn't affect my pullup strength (yet), I'm getting stronger. So it doesn't bother me too much, but if it goes above 105kg I'll do a short cut (for a month or smg). 

Neutral grip weighted pullups

- 5x2 61kg/134lb

- 5x4 51kg/112lb

Felt strong today.  Btw I sweat so much the weights in my weight vest are full of rust 😅

Wide grip lat pulldown

- 5x8 146kg/322lb

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

2022/09/01 Pull

Bodyweight is 104kg/229lb. Slowly, but my bw keeps increasing. But it seems like it doesn't affect my pullup strength (yet), I'm getting stronger. So it doesn't bother me too much, but if it goes above 105kg I'll do a short cut (for a month or smg). 

- 5x2 61kg/134lb

- 5x4 51kg/112lb

Felt strong today.  Btw I sweat so much the weights in my weight vest are full of rust 😅

Wide grip lat pulldown

- 5x8 146kg/322lb

Are eating much calories above your needs at the moment?

1 hour ago, matek said:

2022/09/01 Pull

- 5x2 61kg/134lb

- 5x4 51kg/112lb

Wide grip lat pulldown

- 5x8 146kg/322lb

Not sure i'm ever buying used weights again!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Are eating much calories above your needs at the moment?

I estimate my average daily intake around ~4000 kcal. Sometimes more, sometimes a little bit less. Based on the Mifflin St. Jeor formula, my BMR is around ~3300 kcal. Of course this is just an estimate, and my metabolism is faster than the average in my age group, but I'm definitely in a surplus. Maybe around a 9-10% less would be my maintenance considering I'm not gaining weight rapidly. 

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Not sure i'm ever buying used weights again!

"Weight vest barely used. NO low ballers PLEASE!!!" 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, matek said:

I estimate my average daily intake is around ~4000 kcal. Sometimes more, sometimes a little bit less. Based on the Mifflin St. Jeor formula, my BMR is around ~3300 kcal. Of course this is just an estimate, and my metabolism is faster than the average in my age group, but I'm definitely in a surplus. Maybe around a 9-10% less would be my maintenance considering I'm not gaining weight rapidly. 

"Weight vest barely used. NO low ballers PLEASE!!!" 

I think i'm probably around 3-4000 too. But ive never really counted calories. I'm always hungry, non stop. My work makes it hard to figure out how many calories to have...Some days I'm pushing concrete all day or something physical, the next day we are driving around between jobs. 

So i just go by feel.. For supper the other night I felt like 3 cheeseburgers so I had 3 cheeseburgers.. Big ones too. I just try to avoid sweets, except for like twice a month.

*edit* has your appetite slowed down at all? Since i've always been the youngest, everyone always told me just wait till you hit mid 20s... I'm approaching 30 and besides the fact some things don't settle great like they used to,  I still can eat almost as much as when I was younger.

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I think i'm probably around 3-4000 too. But ive never really counted calories. I'm always hungry, non stop. My work makes it hard to figure out how many calories to have...Some days I'm pushing concrete all day or something physical, the next day we are driving around between jobs. 

So i just go by feel.. For supper the other night I felt like 3 cheeseburgers so I had 3 cheeseburgers.. Big ones too. I just try to avoid sweets, except for like twice a month.

Yes, with your job BMR estimations get complicated. You can have an estimation here , if you're interested (note the activity level). 

Recently I'm just making sure I get in enough protein. With the training volume I do, there can be a huge difference in regeneration. But when I'm on a diet I weigh, count, log everything. 

• Like 1

Do you guys notice that your gripwork is getting weaker when you are in a caloric deficit? Or does this not affect your gripstrenght?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

Do you guys notice that your gripwork is getting weaker when you are in a caloric deficit? Or does this not affect your gripstrenght?

I've heard many people say, grip is not affected dramatically by weight loss or weight gain.  I was close to 200lbs a couple years back and i'm overall stronger now at 172lbs. But i'm sure it helps  some to be heavier, as long as its muscle and not fat.

I'd say with bending, losing weight and being flexible might even help, you can get into better positions for leverage. 

Long story short, the great thing about grip is that weight or age or height isn't a major factor in concurring your goals.. 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, SteinWillems1 said:

In general, I've heard the same as @Blacksmith513. But I guess if you lose a lot of muscle mass with the fat, you will get weaker (naturally), and will feel it in exercises such as DOH deadlift and other grip-related exercises where it's not just about grip.

The other thing is how the caloric deficit affects your mood, and hormone levels. For example, it's really hard to activate your CNS if you're hungry and feel like crap because you're chasing a single digit bodyfat or smg like that. But this is not specific to grip of course. 

• Thanks 1

2022/09/02 DU bending and Short braced bending

Had half the day off, so I did a longer session. It was a good opportunity to DU bend (almost) all my 1/3" mild steel. These are from a different supplier than my usual CRS. It takes some power to kink these, but once it starts moving it's easy. 

DU in single thicker leathers

- 2x CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 170mm (9/32" x 6.7")

These were just part of the warmup.

- 5x CRS (mild steel) 8.5mm x 190mm (1/3" x 7.5")

- 12x CRS (mild steel) 8.5mm x 178mm (1/3" x 7")

Got a nasty blood blister near the end, but it was very fun. I also made some notes to myself about the technique. 

All bars were above 40 degrees.

Short braced bending

- Bolt 10.75mm x 300mm (27/64" x 11.8") - double leathers

This was my hardest short braced bend so far. It just kept springing back. I had to hold the hit during the sweep for an eternity to finally get it moving. Btw I measured the shaft at multiple places, and it's between 10.7 and 10.8. I'm not sure what is the "official" size of this bolt because I never heard of an M11 bolt. Maybe an imperial unit bolt (they sell both imperial and metric bolts here). 

- 3x CRS (SS400) 9mm x 178mm (0.354" x 7") - single leathers

I was too tired for something thicker. 

All sub 2".

20220902.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/09/02 DU bending and Short braced bending

I was too tired for something thicker. 

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that one!

Seriously though nice session. I'm looking to start upping my volume soon.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that one!

Seriously though nice session. I'm looking to start upping my volume soon.

😄

Thanks! I'm sure a slightly higher volume (not like what I did today) would help with your progress 👍

2 minutes ago, matek said:

😄

Thanks! I'm sure a slightly higher volume (not like what I did today) would help with your progress 👍

Yeah, right now levering a 20lbs sledge and the inch are my main goals. But i'm just slowly going to build up my bending, which is probably a good way to go about it. You should buy some #84 rubber bands for the WD. I did, its going great for going in between levels...  Get stronger without taking too much from actually bending.

I really want to do David Hornes Mankiller challange, its snapping a G8,G5 and something equivalent to a red nail in under 20 minutes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah, right now levering a 20lbs sledge and the inch are my main goals. But i'm just slowly going to build up my bending, which is probably a good way to go about it. You should buy some #84 rubber bands for the WD. I did, its going great for going in between levels...  Get stronger without taking too much from actually bending.

I really want to do David Hornes Mankiller challange, its snapping a G8,G5 and something equivalent to a red nail in under 20 minutes.

Thanks, I'll buy some rubber bands for the WD2 when I decide to train it more frequently/seriously👍 I rarely go full effort on it, so adding a rep or holding the rep longer was enough so far. Actually I might skip it this week because the inside of my elbows are a little bit irritated from pullups. But maybe I'll do some light work on it because I like playing with it 😁
The mankiller challange sounds fun, go for it!

• Like 1