2022/10/07 Wrist Developer (suedes)

Orange spring:
Both hand positions:
- 20x (1-1), (2-2), (3-3)

-10x (4-4), (5-5)

CROM spring: 
LH front:
- 2x1 Level 11 (3-2)

First time on Level 11. I don't know how I compare to other people, but I think this definitely takes some power and wrist stability. So I'm happy I got them but I know my left inner elbow will hurt for days now. I know I shouldn't do max efforts on the WD2, but once in a while I can't help it. I had some long days at work recently, and I needed this. 
- 5x Level 9 (2-2)
- 10x Level 8 (2-1)

RH front:
- 2x3 Level 9 (2-2)
- 5x Level 8 (2-1)
- 15x Level 7 (1-2)

My wrist could easily handle a higher level, but around my thumb MPC joint it just hurts too much. I don't know why my LH can handle the pressure so much better. But at least my right elbow was fine. 

Also did 30 mins of cardio. 

• Like 7

Yeah the WD can be tough, like I said before get some #84 rubber bands and you can use them for micro loading.  The Wrist Developer does do exactly  what it says... develops the wrist.. Its also very tough on everything from the elbows down.

I hope to be using the CROM spring late this year, don't want any set backs so I'm going slow. There has been so many springs its hard to keep track but 3-2 on the CROM is pretty strong. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah the WD can be tough, like I said before get some #84 rubber bands and you can use them for micro loading.  The Wrist Developer does do exactly  what it says... develops the wrist.. Its also very tough on everything from the elbows down.

I hope to be using the CROM spring late this year, don't want any set backs so I'm going slow. There has been so many springs its hard to keep track but 3-2 on the CROM is pretty strong. 

Thanks!

Yeah it's tough on my elbows if I go for singles or doubles. I feel like on the WD2, intensity can cause much more damage than volume. But this might be only me. Btw grippers are the other way around for me.

You'll get there this year for sure. The CROM spring behaves slightly differently than the Orange, you'll see (I'm not talking about the overall resistance). 

I'm using this to determine the levels.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks!

Yeah it's tough on my elbows if I go for singles or doubles. I feel like on the WD2, intensity can cause much more damage than volume. But this might be only me. Btw grippers are the other way around for me.

You'll get there this year for sure. The CROM spring behaves slightly differently than the Orange, you'll see (I'm not talking about the overall resistance). 

I'm using this to determine the levels.  

Thanks. I’m not so sure I couldn’t do 1-1 level 6? On the crom right now. But I’m afraid for same reasons you stated.

• Like 2

2022/10/08 Grippers

I did this workout in the morning (worst time for grippers), but no other choice today. Only RH this week (because left elbow). 

RH:
- 2x1 GoG Elite #6 (unrated) MMS
First time trying this, wasn't particularly hard so I did it twice (video is the second close). The average on these is RGC 158, but it's difficult to compare it to my CoC #3 or GHP #7 because the final crush is harder but the spread is only 59mm, so it's very easy to set it properly. Fun gripper.
- 1x CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS

Second close with the GHP felt much harder than the first.
- 2x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~163, parallel (20mm) choked
- 2x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~156, parallel (20mm) choked
- 1x5 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~149, parallel (20mm) choked

Grip was tired, so good finisher. 

Here is a picture of the spreads. Btw my #3 shrink almost a 1mm since I first measured it (or measurement error, which is equally likely). 

spreads.jpg

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/10/08 Grippers

I did this workout in the morning (worst time for grippers), but no other choice today. Only RH this week (because left elbow). 

RH:
- 2x1 GoG Elite #6 (unrated) MMS
First time trying this, wasn't particularly hard so I did it twice (video is the second close). The average on these is RGC 158, but it's difficult to compare it to my CoC #3 or GHP #7 because the final crush is harder but the spread is only 59mm, so it's very easy to set it properly. Fun gripper.
- 1x CoC #3 (unrated) MMS

Second close with the GHP felt much harder than the first.
- 2x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~163, parallel (20mm) choked
- 2x1 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~156, parallel (20mm) choked
- 1x5 Standard adjustable Ti set to RGC ~149, parallel (20mm) choked

Grip was tired, so good finisher. 

Here is a picture of the spreads. Btw my #3 shrink almost a 1mm since I first measured it (or measurement error, which is equally likely). 

spreads.jpg

Nice work! Strong closes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2022/10/09 Pinch

60mm pinch block
Both hands
- 5x1 31.9kg/70.3lb

Failed one with LH.
- 3x1 30.6kg/67.5lb
Clean reps, but tore my right thumb webbing mehh. 

3" x 40mm hub
Both hands:
1x 19.2kg/42.3lb
1x 20.5kg/45.2lb

RH:
4x1 21.7kg/47.8lb

LH:
4x1 20.5kg/45.2lb

Hub felt good this week.

Blob 40 (18.7kg/41.2lb)
Both hands:
- 8x1 assisted lifts with slow negative phase

I have a feeling that once per week with the blob won't be enough for me to improve. 

+ Bent a 6mm x 6" bolt barehanded

Because why not.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, matek said:

2022/10/09 Pinch

60mm pinch block
Both hands
- 5x1 31.9kg/70.3lb

Failed one with LH.
- 3x1 30.6kg/67.5lb
Clean reps, but tore my right thumb webbing mehh. 

3" x 40mm hub
Both hands:
1x 19.2kg/42.3lb
1x 20.5kg/45.2lb

RH:
4x1 21.7kg/47.8lb

LH:
4x1 20.5kg/45.2lb

Hub felt good this week.

Blob 40 (18.7kg/41.2lb)
Both hands:
- 8x1 assisted lifts with slow negative phase

I have a feeling that once per week with the blob won't be enough for me to improve. 

+ Bent a 6mm x 6" bolt barehanded

Because why not.

Awesome bend... I'd like to do some form of bare handed bending at some point, but only easy stuff to freak out people who know nothing about bending...

Yeah go for the blob twice a week, like I messaged you... Maybe thigh holds would be good one day and then the other day what your doing....But I think it wouldn't take long, if your not there now for it to turn into an endurance thing over strength...But it would probably help your hands and tendons get used to the size and weight..

I don't know anything about training for the blob and don't want to come off like I do. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Awesome bend... I'd like to do some form of bare handed bending at some point, but only easy stuff to freak out people who know nothing about bending...

Thanks! Yeah this wasn't hard either (wasn't particularly pleasant though). If you want to freak out/entertain non-bender people, doing easy stuff barehanded will definitely do the job 😄

44 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yeah go for the blob twice a week, like I messaged you... Maybe thigh holds would be good one day and then the other day what your doing....But I think it wouldn't take long, if your not there now for it to turn into an endurance thing over strength...But it would probably help your hands and tendons get used to the size and weight..

I don't know anything about training for the blob and don't want to come off like I do. 

Yeah man, twice per week would be the best. Actually, I'm changing my weekly routine from next week, but it's very hard to fit in two blobbing sessions per week. I would have to throw out something to keep the training efficiency/regeneration the same. Will see... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matek said:

Thanks! Yeah this wasn't hard either (wasn't particularly pleasant though). If you want to freak out/entertain non-bender people, doing easy stuff barehanded will definitely do the job 😄

Yeah man, twice per week would be the best. Actually, I'm changing my weekly routine from next week, but it's very hard to fit in two blobbing sessions per week. I would have to throw out something to keep the training efficiency/regeneration the same. Will see... 

It all depends on your goals and whats important to you.  But you bought the blob, so lifting it must be high up there.

I've always wanted to ask you... Can you do rafter pull ups? Being in construction, thats something I really want to do, that would impress people.. I know its different movement and different grip, but i'm starting to do RGT inverted rows, then build up to pull ups with them..

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I've always wanted to ask you... Can you do rafter pull ups? Being in construction, thats something I really want to do, that would impress people.. I know its different movement and different grip, but i'm starting to do RGT inverted rows, then build up to pull ups with them..

Basically neutral position pinch pullups, right? I've never tried those and it depends on the thickness, but I really don't think I could do that at my current bw/pinch strength. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, matek said:

Basically neutral position pinch pullups, right? I've never tried those and it depends on the thickness, but I really don't think I could do that at my current bw/pinch strength. 

it would be 1.5" thickness... At least in America thats what all 2"xs are.... Maybe in Japan they still care about craftsmanship and use proper dimension lumber.

I think I saw a video of David Horne doing them. Which was impressive. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

it would be 1.5" thickness... At least in America thats what all 2"xs are.... Maybe in Japan they still care about craftsmanship and use proper dimension lumber.

I think I saw a video of David Horne doing them. Which was impressive. 

I see! 1.5" doesn't sound impossible but I still wouldn't be able to do it at my current pinch strength.

I can do pullups with only my middle fingers (on a pullup bar), but I'm too amateur in pinching to have the thumb strength for the rafter pullup. At least at 233lb bw.

But sounds like a cool feat for sure!

• Like 1

2022/10/10 WD2 in DU position, Short braced bending

WD2 DU (single suedes) - CROM spring
Modified DU position:
- 1x10 Level 6 (1-1)
- 1x8 Level 7 (1-2)
- 2x6 Level 8 (2-1)
- 2x5 Level 9 (2-2)
- 2x4 Level 10 (2-3)

Conventional DU position:
- 4x3 slower reps Level 6 (1-1)
So far I was using the WD2 in DU position for warmups only, first time doing something like this.

Short braced bending
- 1x 10.9 Bolt (hardened CrMo) 8mm x 152mm (5/16" x 6")
- 2x CRS (SS400) 9.5mm x 165mm (3/8" x 6.5")

20221010.jpeg

• Like 7

2022/10/11 Grippers

RH:
- 2x1 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
- 2x1 ESG #6 (unrated) MMS
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Ti at RGC ~156 30mm choked
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Ti at RGC ~160 20mm choked
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Ti at RGC ~156 20mm choked
- 2x1 Standard Fe (RGC 134) MMS

Based on my recent gripper sessions, I think I found a way that allows me to progress with only one gripper session per week (this is about my dominant hand). To summarize it (this is mainly for future me):
1. Do MMS closes every gripper workout. It's very easy to get out of practice at setting grippers. 
2. Do choked closes (20mm-30mm) every gripper workout. It's a cheatcode to get a strong finishing crush, and because I really like doing them it keeps my motivation high. 
3. Slowly decreasing the difficulty as I'm getting tired is obvious. But decreasing it just enough so I'm still only able to do singles (or doubles max) works the best for me. 

I cut my left index finger near the fingertip while preparing food 😑, so had to skip LH. 

20221011.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

good work.

were did you get the choker from

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

good work.

were did you get the choker from

Thanks John.

The choker is a filed M42 (42mm) washer. More info here with its advantages and disadvantages: 

Since this post, I made some additional modifications, so it's perfect for my Standard Adjustable gripper. I can choke it to 20mm (parallel) or 30mm - depending on the notch I filed to the washer. Took some time to hand file medium-high carbon steel somewhat accurately, but it was worth it for me. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

2022/10/12 DU bending

Supposed to be a thick bar day, but my fingertip is still healing (I cut it while food prep), so I switched some days. 

Doubles (leathers):
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 8.1mm x 178mm (0.319" x 7")
- 3x Drill rod (SK95) 8mm x 178mm (0.315" x 7")
- 4x CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 178mm (21/64" x 7")

Recently I was mainly bending in single leathers, but I decided to bend more in doubles, because my long-term goal is still the Horrido 8.8 cert. 

Singles (leathers):
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 7.8mm x 178mm (0.307" x 7")
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 7.7mm x 178mm (0.303" x 7")
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 7.6mm x 178mm (0.299" x 7")
- 1x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6")
- 1x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")

All one hit and above 40 degrees. Hands trashed, good workout.

20221012.JPG

• Like 6

pretty cool.

not bad for having a cut  fingertip

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/10/12 DU bending

Supposed to be a thick bar day, but my fingertip is still healing (I cut it while food prep), so I switched some days. 

Doubles (leathers):
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 8.1mm x 178mm (0.319" x 7")
- 3x Drill rod (SK95) 8mm x 178mm (0.315" x 7")
- 4x CRS (SS400) 8.3mm x 178mm (21/64" x 7")

Recently I was mainly bending in single leathers, but I decided to bend more in doubles, because my long-term goal is still the Horrido 8.8 cert. 

Singles (leathers):
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 7.8mm x 178mm (0.307" x 7")
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 7.7mm x 178mm (0.303" x 7")
- 1x Drill rod (SK95) 7.6mm x 178mm (0.299" x 7")
- 1x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6")
- 1x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")

All one hit and above 40 degrees. Hands trashed, good workout.

20221012.JPG

All you need is Liquid bandage, a band aid and some liquid courage. You won’t feel any pain while bending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

that is the best pre workout

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

pretty cool.

not bad for having a cut  fingertip

Thanks!

It didn't really interfere with DU bending. Thick bar or pinch would be a problem though, it's a relatively deep cut. I think I will have to do my pull workout this week with straps/without index finger. ☹️

• Like 1

that's ok it could be worse . you could miss your workout all together

• Like 2