matek's training log

matek

45 minutes ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Very strong pinching Matek 💪 and that is a beautiful specimen right there 😄. I love cats so much!

Thanks! I have two. They can be annoying sometimes, but I still love them 🙂

• Like 3

2022/10/27 Grippers and Wrist Developer

Grippers
RH:
- 3x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS
- 3x1 MMS set practice with my Standard Cobalt (RGC 165)

I held the set gripper for a few secs. Very tiring. 
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Titanium set to RGC ~156 choked to 30mm
- 2x1 Standard Iron (RGC 134) MMS

LH:
My LH middle finger hurts, so I just did some easy NS closes with the GD Iron 90. 

Wrist Developer 2 reverse (single suedes)
Both hand positions:
- 4x10 Level 7 CROM spring (1-2)
- 3x15 Level 6 CROM spring (1-1)

Decided to spare my elbows a little bit, so went with volume instead of intensity. This made the workout a little bit too long ( I did these with both LH front and RH front).

+ I've DU bent a 8.6mm x 8" Japanese construction nail in doubles. The head is huge, so I will cut down the ends next time. It was a little bit hard to get it started, but then it was fine. 

20221027.jpeg

• Like 8

2022/10/28 Forearms/wrists

- 3x40 wrist curls
- 3x35 reverse wrist curls
- 5x14 thumb work with resistance band
- 3x2 ulnar deviation rolls with the twist yo wrist
- 3x2 radial deviation rolls with the twist yo wrist
- 3x30 extension bands

Short workout. These workouts really help me with recovery (elbows and wrists), honestly, I should do these every week without exception.

20221028.jpeg

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, matek said:

- 3x40 wrist curls
- 3x30 extension bands

Short workout. These workouts really help me with recovery (elbows and wrists), honestly, I should do these every week without exception.

20221028.jpeg

nice workout and pic

its sessions like these that allow us to keep going.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

nice workout and pic

its sessions like these that allow us to keep going.

Thanks!

Yes these high rep forearm/wrist workouts are really useful

• Like 2

6 hours ago, matek said:

- 3x40 wrist curls
- 3x30 extension bands

20221028.jpeg

Popeye forearm!!💪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2022/10/29 DU bending (doubles)

- 2x Increased carbon stainless (304H) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7") - 1 hit, 1 hit
By no means these were easy. Long hits. 
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 190mm (~5/16" x 7.5") - 2 hits, 2 hits
- CRS (SS400) 9mm x 190mm (0.354" x 7.5") - 4 hits

I'm super happy about this one.

If I want that 8.8 cert this year, I need to intensify training in big doubles. So I'll try DU bending twice per week. I'll still keep one of the workouts as a singles and doubles session, and add a shorter one using only doubles (like this time).  

20221029_1.jpeg

20221029_2.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 9

thats some nice bending right there.

I need to smarten up and start marking my stock too. I'm finding out there is so much more to this stuff than just going through the motions. gotta take notes and be consistent and every little detail counts.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

thats some nice bending right there.

I need to smarten up and start marking my stock too. I'm finding out there is so much more to this stuff than just going through the motions. gotta take notes and be consistent and every little detail counts.

Thanks!

Yes, I do recommend that. Take notes and be as meticulous as possible!

• Like 2

2022/11/01 DU bending (singles and doubles)

Doubles:
- ECGB drill rod 8.42mm x 190mm ('Q' or ~1/3" x 7.5")
I wanted to do this cert in corduras+ leathers, but at the 3 min mark, I knew I couldn't put it to 40 within the time limit; I already needed a break. I still got it to ~30 degrees like this. I took a 10 mins break and finished it in double leathers. I'm happy I could do it, but a little bit mad at myself that I didn't go with double leathers from the beginning... Unfortunately, this was my only 1/3" cert rod, so I will have to order again from @devinhoo
- 2x Increased carbon stainless (304H) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")
- C45 CRS (S45C) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")

These were done in corduras + leathers. Each one hit, except this last pseudo-hexabastard, which took two hits.

Singles (thicker leathers):
- 2x C45 CRS (S45C) HEX 7mm x 178mm (~9/32" x 7")
- Drill rod (SK95) 8mm x 178mm (0.315" x 7")
- Drill rod (SK95) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")

One hits.
- 3x2 CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6") 
First time implementing my idea of doing "reps" with bending: for 1 set, I do 2 bars in one hits without a break/rewrapping. Then a proper break (a few mins), and repeat (here, for 3 sets). 

All above 40 degrees. Very long session, but I'm sure I'm getting closer to my goals. 

20221101.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, matek said:

2022/11/01 DU bending (singles and doubles)

Doubles:
- ECGB drill rod 8.42mm x 190mm ('Q' or ~1/3" x 7.5")
I wanted to do this cert in corduras+ leathers, but at the 3 min mark, I knew I couldn't put it to 40 within the time limit; I already needed a break. I still got it to ~30 degrees like this. I took a 10 mins break and finished it in double leathers. I'm happy I could do it, but a little bit mad at myself that I didn't go with double leathers from the beginning... Unfortunately, this was my only 1/3" cert rod, so I will have to order again from @devinhoo
- 2x Increased carbon stainless (304H) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")
- C45 CRS (S45C) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7")

These were done in corduras + leathers. Each one hit, except this last pseudo-hexabastard, which took two hits.

Singles (thicker leathers):
- 2x C45 CRS (S45C) HEX 7mm x 178mm (~9/32" x 7")
- Drill rod (SK95) 8mm x 178mm (0.315" x 7")
- Drill rod (SK95) 7.9mm x 178mm (5/16" x 7")

One hits.
- 3x2 CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6") 
First time implementing my idea of doing "reps" with bending: for 1 set, I do 2 bars in one hits without a break/rewrapping. Then a proper break (a few mins), and repeat (here, for 3 sets). 

All above 40 degrees. Very long session, but I'm sure I'm getting closer to my goals. 

20221101.jpeg

you still did it.. If it was easy there would be no point in doing it. Thats a pretty cool idea.. So you essentially your swapping back and forth between two bars? 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

you still did it.. If it was easy there would be no point in doing it.

Thanks. Sure, I'll get the cert next time (just have to place an order).

49 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Thats a pretty cool idea.. So you essentially your swapping back and forth between two bars? 

No; I put the first bar to 40+ degrees in one hit, then immediately the second. So two hits in total, but working on the very same range. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks. Sure, I'll get the cert next time (just have to place an order).

No; I put the first bar to 40+ degrees in one hit, then immediately the second. So two hits in total, but working on the very same range. 

I like that. I'll give it a go at some point.

• Like 1

2022/11/03 Grippers

Only with RH, because I want my LH middle finger to heal, and heavier grippers hurt a lot. 

- GHP #7 (unrated) 1.5" block set
Smooth close. 
- 2x1 Standard Cobalt (RGC 165) MMS - as far as I can 
I've got good movement in both attempts after the set, especially the first was pretty good, 5-8mm between the handles (so still a long way to go, I know, but good progress for me). 
- 2x1 GoG ESG #6 (unrated) 30mm block
I got this "setting block" with my last steel order. It's just a 20mm x 30mm x 100mm square aluminum pipe.
- 2x GHP #7 (unrated) MMS with 20mm block
The block makes it more challenging because I definitely need a pause. The second already felt hard at this point. 
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Titanium set to RGC ~163 - parallel 20mm choked

+ Oiled the springs of all my grippers and cut like 70 steel bars for bending. 

20221103.jpeg

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, matek said:

2022/11/03 Grippers

Only with RH, because I want my LH middle finger to heal, and heavier grippers hurt a lot. 

- GHP #7 (unrated) 1.5" block set
Smooth close. 
- 2x1 Standard Cobalt (RGC 165) MMS - as far as I can 
I've got good movement in both attempts after the set, especially the first was pretty good, 5-8mm between the handles (so still a long way to go, I know, but good progress for me). 
- 2x1 GoG ESG #6 (unrated) 30mm block
I got this "setting block" with my last steel order. It's just a 20mm x 30mm x 100mm square aluminum pipe.
- 2x GHP #7 (unrated) MMS with 20mm block
The block makes it more challenging because I definitely need a pause. The second already felt hard at this point. 
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Titanium set to RGC ~163 - parallel 20mm choked

+ Oiled the springs of all my grippers and cut like 70 steel bars for bending. 

20221103.jpeg

Training one hand different from the other bothers my OCD so much. This week is the first time I’ve ever done that due to a strain. 

But that’s something I got to get used to.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Training one hand different from the other bothers my OCD so much. This week is the first time I’ve ever done that due to a strain. 

But that’s something I got to get used to.

I can relate to that.
It would bother me more with pinch or fat bar. But, with grippers, the difference is already quite big between hands, so... And honestly, this was an excellent gripper workout for me, probably because I "saved" my CNS just for my right hand. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 8:24 AM, matek said:

I can relate to that.
It would bother me more with pinch or fat bar. But, with grippers, the difference is already quite big between hands, so... And honestly, this was an excellent gripper workout for me, probably because I "saved" my CNS just for my right hand. 

nothing like saving it for your hand....😜  

grippers are weird and I haven't touched mine in a while.. But I found setting my Vulcan was easier  than COCS and was more consistent between hands.

I don't remember if we've ever talked about this but have you ever done 20 second reps with the WD? I tried that yesterday on 1-1 with the Orange spring... That really felt more like actual bending than repping it out. 

I think both have their place.. But I really liked the 20 second rep... Maybe thats why some people say the WD benefited their bending and some people say it doesn't... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

nothing like saving it for your hand....😜  

grippers are weird and I haven't touched mine in a while.. But I found setting my Vulcan was easier  than COCS and was more consistent between hands.

I don't remember if we've ever talked about this but have you ever done 20 second reps with the WD? I tried that yesterday on 1-1 with the Orange spring... That really felt more like actual bending than repping it out. 

I think both have their place.. But I really liked the 20 second rep... Maybe thats why some people say the WD benefited their bending and some people say it doesn't... 

The Vulcan looks fun, but I just know I wouldn't like it because of the lack of knurling ☹️. It would be something I use only for warmups and I already have an adjustable gripper for that.

I did some very long reps on the WD2 before, mainly for warmup. That being said, I don't think I've ever done a 20 sec rep. More like holding lower levels midway for ~10 secs, basically doing strict ulnar deviation.

2022/11/05 Pinch

New pinch blocks (60mm and 80mm) from Gods of Grip. It's more challenging to pinch than my cheap Chinese 60mm block because the edges are rounded a lot. But it takes chalk better, which is fantastic. 

60mm pinch block
RH:
2x1 28.1kg/62lb
4x1 30.7kg/67.7lb
1x 31.9kg/70.3lb
LH:
7x1 28.1kg/62lb

Went easy on my LH because of my middle finger.

80mm pinch block
Both hands:
- 3x1 25.6kg/56.4lb
- 2x1 24.3kg/53.6lb

First time trying a 80mm block. 

125mm pinch block 
RH:
- 4x1 17.9kg/39.5lb
- 1x8sec hold 15kg/33.1lb

LH:
- 2x1 17.9kg/39.5lb
- 2x1 19.1kg/42.1lb
- 1x10sec hold 15kg/33.1lb

My middle fingers don't work that much on this monster block, so it was ok with my LH (my left thumb is like a full cm longer than my right, so I'm better on super wide stuff with my left). But pinch was pretty tired at this point. 

Hopefully, next week I will have more time to go to the gym and do regular workouts.

20221105.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 8

Really nice additions to your collection 👍 I love my GoG 60mm block! Probably the best pinch block I own imo. You won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Way cool 

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Really nice additions to your collection 👍 I love my GoG 60mm block! Probably the best pinch block I own imo. You won't be disappointed. 

Thanks, I like them a lot. I was surprised by how rounded the edges are; it feels like I'm using the end of my fingers much more on this. 

• Like 1

2022/11/09 Grippers

RH:
- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) 1.5" block set
- 2x1 CPW Standard Cobalt RGC 165 MMS attempt - as far as I can 

About the same amount of movement I got last week. But my setting game is getting better for sure. 
- 1x IM CoC #3 (unrated) MMS
This felt hard after the Cobalt attempts.
- 1x GHP #7 (unrated) MMS 
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Titanium set to RGC ~156 choked to 30mm
- 3x1 Standard Adjustable Titanium set to RGC ~163 choked to 20mm
- 2x3 U-shaped 30mm width gripper set to RGC ~128

My grip was already pretty tired at this point, so I decided to play around with this strange gripper. I still like it. 

Btw if somebody wonders why my CoC#3 looks like this... no, it's not an old CoC. I decided to remove the corrosion from the springs with the usual stuff I use to remove rust. Well, it did remove the rust - and the shiny finish 😐. Oh well, it's still the same gripper.

20221109.jpeg

• Like 7