matek's training log

matek

2022/12/07 DU bending

Warmup
- high rep wrist curls, pulldowns
- high rep closes with the GD Iron 90 up to Level 4
- few sets of pushups 
- WD2 in DU position with the Orange spring up to (6-6)
- CRS (mild steel) 8.5mm x 203mm (0.335" x 8")
- Galvanized steel 9mm x 178mm (0.354 x 7")

DU doubles (leathers) 
- Brass HEX 10mm x 190mm (~25/64" x 7.5") - 1 hit, 97 degrees
Very strange. The round from the same supplier is much harder than the FBBC brass. But this hex was super mild. 
- Increased carbon stainless (304H) HEX 8mm x 203mm (~5/16" x 8") - 3 hits, 50 degrees
- CRS (SS400) HEX 8mm x 190mm (~5/16" x 7.5") - 1 hit, 45 degrees
- Increased carbon stainless (304H) 8mm x 178mm (~5/16" x 7") - 1 hit, 42 degrees

DU singles (leather)
- Drill rod (SK95) 8.1mm x 178mm (0.319" x 7") - 5 hits, 51 degrees
I knew this is from a hard batch. Took me ~2 mins in singles today. 
- 2x Drill rod (SK95) 7.9mm x 190mm (5/16" x 7.5") - 1 hit, 1 hit, 83 degrees, 85 degrees
- 2x CRS (SS400) 8mm x 152mm (~5/16" x 6") - 1 hit, 1 hit, 64 degrees, 67 degrees

20221207.jpeg

• Like 7

Awesome wrist session. I might start doing a couple sets of higher rep wrist curls myself at the end of my sessions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2022/12/10 wrist/forearm recovery workout

About 15 sets of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, all very high rep

20221210_1.jpeg

20221210_2.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, matek said:

2022/12/10 wrist/forearm recovery workout

About 15 sets of wrist curls and reverse wrist curls, all very high rep

20221210_1.jpeg

20221210_2.jpeg

those aren't forearms...their fivearms!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2022/12/16 some braced bending and chest

Leather singles
- CRS 21/64" x 6"
- Drill rod 8mm x 5"

Leather doubles
- CRS HEX 9mm x 6"
I knew this was harder than my usual CRS (different supplier), but I didn't expect this to be such a hard bend. It was waay harder than an 8mm 10.9. I tried to get that last half inch for like 10 mins, but it just got stuck at 2.5".

Adjustable armbar at max resistance
- 10x16

20221216.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, matek said:

2022/12/16 some braced bending and chest

Leather singles
- CRS 21/64" x 6"
- Drill rod 8mm x 5"

Leather doubles
- CRS HEX 9mm x 6"
I knew this was harder than my usual CRS (different supplier), but I didn't expect this to be such a hard bend. It was waay harder than an 8mm 10.9. I tried to get that last half inch for like 10 mins, but it just got stuck at 2.5".

Adjustable armbar at max resistance
- 10x16

20221216.JPG

Strong bending man. Every bend is so unique. But that fight is what makes it fun. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Strong bending man. Every bend is so unique. But that fight is what makes it fun. 

Thanks! It was quite a fight indeed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks! It was quite a fight indeed.

What amazes is the mindset I get in and probably others do too. I feel like my house could be on fire and it wouldn't even register with me. 

• Like 1

2022/12/20 some reverse bending

No chance of DU yet because of my left wrist, so I did some reverse bending with my right hand front. I'm one CROM level weaker in this position on the WD2, but it didn't bother my left wrist too much, which is good.
Most of these bends are very off-center because I tried to do most of the work with my right (front) hand, minimizing the strain on my left wrist. I tried playing with uneven wrap depth, but it still looks pretty bad 😅.

When I started bending in March, reverse felt the most natural first, so I thought that will be my main style. But then I fell in love with DU quickly, so I haven't done much reverse besides the Wrist Developer 2 sometimes (which I like a lot). But nice session, without any expectations. 

Paper towel
- Bolt (some CRS) 6mm x 150mm (~15/64" x 6") - 1 hit

Suede singles
- CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7") - 1 hit
- 2x CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 152mm (9/32" x 6") - 1 hit, 1 hit

Leather singles
- Grade 4.8 bolt 8mm x 150mm (~5/16" x 6") - 3 hits
- CRS (SS400) 7.1mm x 127mm (9/32" x 5") - 2 hits
- Drill rod (SK95) 7.1mm x 178mm (9/32" x 7") - 2 hits
- 3x Nails taped together (some CRS) 5.2mm x 150mm (~13/64" x 6") - 3 hits

These don't look that horribly off-center because I hit them multiple times, changing up which end goes to my front hand. 

20221220.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

That is some real strong bending. Maybe its time to focus on reverse for a while.

give it a go with weight hanging from the front arm.  I learned a lot from just the two sessions I tried it. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work 

Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That is some real strong bending. Maybe its time to focus on reverse for a while.

give it a go with weight hanging from the front arm.  I learned a lot from just the two sessions I tried it. 

Thanks!
It looks badass I have to say, but why do you think it is beneficial? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, matek said:

Thanks!

Thanks!
It looks badass I have to say, but why do you think it is beneficial? 

I don’t plan on using it in my routine right now, except for when I have extra energy and time but it taught me to use my back hand more in the bend. 

For the longest time I’d only use it as a vise.m and rely on front hand. When you have weight hanging from your wrist, it keeps it locked and you must rely on the back hand more.

Those were just my observations, maybe you don’t have that issue. But I recommend giving it a go at least once. Maybe you will get something different out of it I didn’t, or nothing at all.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I don’t plan on using it in my routine right now, except for when I have extra energy and time but it taught me to use my back hand more in the bend. 

For the longest time I’d only use it as a vise.m and rely on front hand. When you have weight hanging from your wrist, it keeps it locked and you must rely on the back hand more.

Those were just my observations, maybe you don’t have that issue. But I recommend giving it a go at least once. Maybe you will get something different out of it I didn’t, or nothing at all.

Thanks, I'll give it a try when my left wrist feels better.

• Like 1

Not training, but I rolled up a cheap frying pan because I had never done it before, and I was curious.
It's just a party trick (at least with the one I did anyway), like smashing an apple. But, I bet kids would like it. 🙂

20221226.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

2023/01/10

I'm still alive, just haven't been doing much training in the past month (and almost zero grip). But I've been reading your logs :)

Did some braced bending today:

• HRS 9mm x 5"
  • Drill rod (SK95) 8.0mm x 5"
  • Bolt stainless (304) 10mm x 7"
  • Bolt (some CRS I guess) 8.4mm x 4"

I'm glad we have to measure the 2" from the bolt head haha. 

• Bolt titanium (Ti-6Al-4V - Grade 5 Ti) 8mm x 6"

This is absolutely the worst material to bend to sub 2". Grade 5 titanium is one of the strongest alloys (much stronger than pure Ti because of the 4% vanadium). But it behaves differently than high-grade hardened bolts (like 10.9, grade 8, etc.). At the same diameter and length, it's easier to bend... Or I thought first. It springs back so much, at some point I started to think it is impossible to finish :D. The last ~8mms took me like 20 minutes. Extremely annoying because you have to bend it much, much deeper than 2" and hold it for eternity - then hope it springs back to sub 2". 

20230110.JPG

• Like 9

5 hours ago, matek said:

2023/01/10

I'm still alive, just haven't been doing much training in the past month (and almost zero grip). But I've been reading your logs :)

Did some braced bending today:

• HRS 9mm x 5"
  • Drill rod (SK95) 8.0mm x 5"
  • Bolt stainless (304) 10mm x 7"
  • Bolt (some CRS I guess) 8.4mm x 4"

I'm glad we have to measure the 2" from the bolt head haha. 

• Bolt titanium (Ti-6Al-4V - Grade 5 Ti) 8mm x 6"

This is absolutely the worst material to bend to sub 2". Grade 5 titanium is one of the strongest alloys (much stronger than pure Ti because of the 4% vanadium). But it behaves differently than high-grade hardened bolts (like 10.9, grade 8, etc.). At the same diameter and length, it's easier to bend... Or I thought first. It springs back so much, at some point I started to think it is impossible to finish :D. The last ~8mms took me like 20 minutes. Extremely annoying because you have to bend it much, much deeper than 2" and hold it for eternity - then hope it springs back to sub 2". 

20230110.JPG

Glad to see you back at it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back to (regular) training, finally. Big hiatus, but it doesn't matter. The grind continues.
That being said, I haven't touched the Wrist Developer or grippers for months now, so nothing crazy. 

Wrist Developer 2 (suedes)
CROM spring
Both hand positions (so 10 sets in total):
- Level 8 (2-1) 2x5
- Level 7 (1-2) 2x10
- Level 6 (1-1) 1x16

Not bad to be honest. Did a few slow reps with the Orange spring as well.

Grippers
- GD Iron 90 (without extensions): I just did a bunch of reps with both hands on levels 1-2-3-4
RH:
- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS 
- 1x1 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS 

These were noticeably harder than two months ago, but closed it all. 
- 4x1 Standard Adjustable Tungsten set to RGC ~167 choked at 21mm 
 These were not that hard.
- 2x1 Standard Iron (RGC 134) CCS
Missed the second, grip already tired. 

20220124.JPG

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

how the wrist feeling?

Thanks Joe, wrist is feeling much better. I should've started grip training again a month ago (or at least "normal" training), but <insert arbitrary excuse>

Glad to see you're back as well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matek said:

I'm back to (regular) training, finally. Big hiatus, but it doesn't matter. The grind continues.
That being said, I haven't touched the Wrist Developer or grippers for months now, so nothing crazy. 

Wrist Developer 2 (suedes)
CROM spring
Both hand positions (so 10 sets in total):
- Level 8 (2-1) 2x5
- Level 7 (1-2) 2x10
- Level 6 (1-1) 1x16

Not bad to be honest. Did a few slow reps with the Orange spring as well.

Grippers
- GD Iron 90 (without extensions): I just did a bunch of reps with both hands on levels 1-2-3-4
RH:
- 2x1 GHP #7 (unrated) MMS 
- 1x1 CoC #3 (unrated) MMS 

These were noticeably harder than two months ago, but closed it all. 
- 4x1 Standard Adjustable Tungsten set to RGC ~167 choked at 21mm 
 These were not that hard.
- 2x1 Standard Iron (RGC 134) CCS
Missed the second, grip already tired. 

20220124.JPG

Great session man welcome back!!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, DevilErik said:

Great session man welcome back!!!

Thanks Erik!

• Like 2