matek's training log

matek

New workout routine from this weak. I will try to squeeze in everything I like. 

Order was a little bit different, but one DU bend -> one reverse bend. 

DU leather singles 
- CRS HEX 7mm x 7" (hard batch)
Basically, just warmup, didn't go crazy on it (not in the video). 
- Grade 12.9 bolt 6mm x 6"
Second warmup (not in the video).
I found a place where they sell 12.9 bolts in almost any length (5mm increments). This was actually a 180mm bolt, but I cut it to 6" to avoid snapping at the thread. Wasn't hard or something, but I'm still astonished at how strong it is for the diameter. 
- CRS 21/64" x 7"
First main bend. I found a few 21/64" bars from the previous batch. Wanted to compare it with the current one because that feels super hard. And indeed, this is easier to bend, so it's not like I became weaker. 
- A2 stainless bolt 8mm x 5"
- Drill rod 5/16" x 7"

DU leather doubles 
- CRS SQUARE 7mm x 7" 
One long hit, 41 degrees. At ECGB, the estimated rating is 520 (at 7"). I truly felt like it was around 500. 
- C45 8mm x 7" 
Two hits to 46 degrees. It was one of the last bends, so I knew if I rest longer between the hits, this material won't ever move again... 

Reverse leather singles 
- CRS 7mm x 7"
The warmup bend (not in the video). 
- Grade 4.8 bolt 8mm x 7"
Just testing a maker I had never tried before. 
- A4 stainless bolt (Horrido) 8mm x 7" 
It was well over 40 degrees after the first hit, but I wanted to try it out in both hand positions. 
- CRS SQUARE 1/4" x 7"
I started to get tired at this point. 
- Annealed 35CroMo 7mm x 6.5" 
 Hmm, maybe not quite as strong as C45, but still well above a "normal" CRS. 
- CRS rectangular 6mm x 9mm x 7"

All were above 40 degrees. 

20230306_1.JPG

20230306_2.JPG

• Like 5

Very impressive. That’s some crazy bending.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

Very impressive. That’s some crazy bending.

Thanks John! Was a long session..

• Like 1

Back to the gym... felt weird but good.

Fat Gripz original (blue, 2.25") Double Overhand beltless deadlifts
-3x1 130kg/286.6lb
-2x1 125kg/275.6lb

Fat Gripz extreme (orange, 2.75") Double Overhand beltless deadlifts 
-2x1 105kg/231.5lb
-1x1 with 5 sec hold on top 100kg/220.5lb

Double Overhand beltless deadlifts
-1x2 160kg/352.7lb
-2x1 180kg/396.8lb
-1x1 182.5kg/402.3lb

• Like 3

Nice workout for just getting back to gym.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice workout for just getting back to gym.

Thanks! If I can follow the routine I created, there will be 2 training days in the gym per week. 

• Like 2

60mm pinch block
Both hands
- 2x2 30.7kg/67.7lb
- 2x1 33.4kg/73.6lb
- 2x1 34.7kg/76.5lb
- 2x1 35.9kg/79.1lb

Failed the second set with LH, but this was still pretty good for me.

Blobs
RH
- 7x1 KWN50 (50.5lb/22.9kg) slow, assisted lift
LH
- 3x2 KWN40 (41.2lb/18.7kg) lift
- 4x1 KWN40 + 5.7lb (46.9lb/21.3kg) lift

Dropped one. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, matek said:

60mm pinch block
Both hands
- 2x2 30.7kg/67.7lb
- 2x1 33.4kg/73.6lb
- 2x1 34.7kg/76.5lb
- 2x1 35.9kg/79.1lb

Blobs
RH
LH

Dropped one. 

What pinch block width do you think is most beneficial for increased gripper performance? I think I saw 8mm width and also 100mm so that's huge difference 😆

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, martincerven said:

What pinch block width do you think is most beneficial for increased gripper performance? I think I saw 8mm width and also 100mm so that's huge difference 😆

Pinch can help build your thumb muscle, and that's the bigger, the better for grippers. But overall, I don't think pinch will help a lot with grippers. There are other things that help more.. like doing grippers 😆. Jokes aside, doing thick bar might help. 

That being said, if I had to choose only one block, that would be the 80mm one. Or 3" (76mm). But not because grippers, I just like that the most. 

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, matek said:

60mm pinch block
Both hands
- 2x2 30.7kg/67.7lb
- 2x1 33.4kg/73.6lb
- 2x1 34.7kg/76.5lb
- 2x1 35.9kg/79.1lb

Blobs
RH
LH

Dropped one. 

I might start adding blob training to my routine if I can handle it.

My loadable blobtop from World of Grip should be here in a few weeks. Ive got enough goals but I'm looking at it more as just another way to train pinch and build thumb strength than training to lift the blob. If that makes sense.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I might start adding blob training to my routine if I can handle it.

My loadable blobtop from World of Grip should be here in a few weeks. Ive got enough goals but I'm looking at it more as just another way to train pinch and build thumb strength than training to lift the blob. If that makes sense.

Yeah sure, why not. And blobbing is fun anyway; it feels good to lift it and feels good to look at it 😄
The blobtop will be really nice!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, matek said:

Yeah sure, why not. And blobbing is fun anyway; it feels good to lift it and feels good to look at it 😄
The blobtop will be really nice!

Yup. I get a blob just thinking about blobbing. 

it looks perfect because I own the red pill which is one of the hardest blobs to pick up. I have no desire to own 10 blobs.  So hopefully I can just use this to eventually lift the red pill. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yup. I get a blob just thinking about blobbing. 

it looks perfect because I own the red pill which is one of the hardest blobs to pick up. I have no desire to own 10 blobs.  So hopefully I can just use this to eventually lift the red pill. 

As far as I know, that thing is at a different level. Wide, heavy, and very slick because of the paint. Would be a great deal to lift it!💪

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, matek said:

As far as I know, that thing is at a different level. Wide, heavy, and very slick because of the paint. Would be a great deal to lift it!💪

Yeah its intense.. I feel like i'm not worthy of owning it. Unless a heavier one has been make since, I own the heaviest one, I believe its 56.4lbs... 

I'm pretty sure i've read its even more of an elite lift than the inch. I think between this trainer, and maybe rigging up a blob deload system, I should be able to do it eventually. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm pretty sure i've read its even more of an elite lift than the inch. I think between this trainer, and maybe rigging up a blob deload system, I should be able to do it eventually. 

If you can elevate yourself somehow -so it's like you're picking up the blob trainer from the ground- you can surely get to the york half 100/blob50 level. I don't know about the red pill because it's super wide. The top is even wider than the original fat man blob. Just my experience so far, but width is a much bigger limiter than weight. 
But since you have it, you can practice on it as well anyway!

Edited by matek
  • Like 1

Grippers
RH
- 4x5 Standard Fe RGC 134 MMS
- 2x1 Standard Adjustable Tungsten set to RGC 160, 2-3 sec hold, 22mm choked

LH
- 6x2 GD Iron 90, Level 5, narrow spread (45 mm), no extensions, handles touching, no set
Got all, but from halfway, I had to reposition the gripper for the second rep. 

Forearm/wrist recovery
- 2x45 wrist curls
- 2x40 reverse wrist curls
- 3x1 ulnar deviation rolls with Twist yo wrist
- 3x1 radial deviation rolls with Twist yo wrist
- 3x16 extensor bands 

20230309_1.JPG

Edited by matek
  • Like 5

OHP 
- 1x2 92.5kg/203.9lb
- 1x3 85kg/187.4lb
- 2x5 80kg/176.4lb
- 1x10 70kg/154.3lb
- 1x10 60kg/132.3lb

Weighted neutral grip pullups
I was afraid I lost a lot of strength during this longer pullup hiatus, but it wasn't that bad, considering I'm also heavier now (110kg/242.5lb).
- 2x3 41kg/90.4lb
- 2x5 31kg/68.3lb
- 2x8 20kg/44.1lb

Weighted dips
- 4x10 20kg/44.1lb

Compound row machine (Nautilus)
- 4x16 110kg/242.5lb (full stack)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, matek said:

OHP 
- 1x2 92.5kg/203.9lb
- 1x3 85kg/187.4lb
- 2x5 80kg/176.4lb
- 1x10 70kg/154.3lb
- 1x10 60kg/132.3lb

Weighted neutral grip pullups
I was afraid I lost a lot of strength during this longer pullup hiatus, but it wasn't that bad, considering I'm also heavier now (110kg/242.5lb).
- 2x3 41kg/90.4lb
- 2x5 31kg/68.3lb
- 2x8 20kg/44.1lb

Weighted dips
- 4x10 20kg/44.1lb

Compound row machine (Nautilus)
- 4x16 110kg/242.5lb (full stack)

What's your opinion on dips for mass? General consensus is of course that bench is the king of push, but you do find pockets of people who swear by progressively weighted dips as being the king instead.

• Like 2

Nice workout today 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

What's your opinion on dips for mass? 

It's absolutely great for mass. Depending on how you do it, you can target your shoulders or chest more. Triceps is used a lot either way. 

32 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

General consensus is of course that bench is the king of push

I really don't think so. In my opinion, strict OHP is the king of push. Not for mass though. 

A long time ago, I had great progress with weighted dips and went up to around 80kg I think. I got really strong at got elbow problems 👍😂. So just be careful, but it's a great exercise. 

Nice workout today 

Thanks John!

Edited by matek

20 minutes ago, matek said:

It's absolutely great for mass. Depending on how you do it, you can target your shoulders or chest more. Triceps is used a lot either way. 

I really don't think so. In my opinion, strict OHP is the king of push. Not for mass though. 

A long time ago, I had great progress with weighted dips and went up to around 80kg I think. I got really strong at got elbow problems 👍😂. So just be careful, but it's a great exercise. 

Thanks John!

OHP is my favourite push too actually, although I'm going for a one-arm push press lately as I'm emphasising core strength. It's my main push, with other bits coming from a couple of push up variations, low frequency, low volume (part of another workout) so not much in mass gains to be had there. 

I'll try those dips. I recently worked out that indeed I CAN perform them in the corner of kitchen after all, one hand either side of the counter... It'd make for a nice triceps addition as currently I'm lacking. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gripperer said:

OHP is my favourite push too actually, although I'm going for a one-arm push press lately as I'm emphasising core strength. It's my main push, with other bits coming from a couple of push up variations, low frequency, low volume (part of another workout) so not much in mass gains to be had there. 

I'll try those dips. I recently worked out that indeed I CAN perform them in the corner of kitchen after all, one hand either side of the counter... It'd make for a nice triceps addition as currently I'm lacking. 

Then try dips for sure. I recommend something like 5x10 or 8x8. If your shoulders don't hurt, go deep. 
Be careful in the kitchen corner 😄

Today was rest day anyways, so I thought, why not try unbraced snapping (for the first time, I think) with some easier stuff in half suedes. Well, I can say that unbraced snapping would be an amazing workout if you find a bar hard enough for you or you do easier stuff for volume.
As for technique, I tried chest crush<->chest pull and reverse<->reverse-reverse (?😄). Quite different from braced snapping. Anyways, fun. Might try it with harder stuff in the future. 
Tomorrow will be grippers.

20230311.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, matek said:

Today was rest day anyways, so I thought, why not try unbraced snapping (for the first time, I think) with some easier stuff in half suedes. Well, I can say that unbraced snapping would be an amazing workout if you find a bar hard enough for you or you do easier stuff for volume.
As for technique, I tried chest crush<->chest pull and reverse<->reverse-reverse (?😄). Quite different from braced snapping. Anyways, fun. Might try it with harder stuff in the future. 
Tomorrow will be grippers.

20230311.jpeg

Nice, yeah I love snapping even more than bending steel. There is some technique involved thats for sure, if I don't do it for a while I feel off groove. I like the chest crush, although it like to try strictly reverse snapping.. Maybe next thursday, ill try a reverse-reverse snap...  It really feels like a fight sometimes.

• Like 1

Supper cool , bending and snapping 

• Like 1