Busy week of bending ,nice work

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

Busy week of bending ,nice work

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice work 

Thanks!

• Like 1

Too much work today (got home late), so I had to move my rest day to today. 
Did this to a 5.3mm x 150mm nail though (unbraced), just to do smg with my hands

20230405.jpeg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, matek said:

Too much work today (got home late), so I had to move my rest day to today. 
Did this to a 5.3mm x 150mm nail though (unbraced), just to do smg with my hands

20230405.jpeg

How do you do it?  Do you bend it a bit at each end and then loop it?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

How do you do it?  Do you bend it a bit at each end and then loop it?

Almost! Initially, I wrapped one end normally (~4cm), and the other super deep. Then bent it concentrating on bending where the wraps meet. I did this part DU, makes sense to me. Then I wanted to do it as you described, but the already bent part was too much in the way, so I just basically straight away reversed it to a loop in a few hits (I wrapped one end, but at the already bent end I just used the wrap as protection). Then I chest crushed the nail from the "sides" so the nail is almost touching itself (so it looks cooler 😄). 

• Like 1

Hack Squat
- 5x7 200kg/441lbs

I like thick bar deadlifts, but I might switch to thick-handle dumbbell lifts for a while because I haven't done them for a long time, and I want to lift an inch replica one day.
Fat gripz original (blue, 2.4" on the dumbbell) one-handed dumbbell lift
RH:
- 2x1 59kg/130lbs - both leveled
- 2x1 63.5kg/140lbs - both leveled
- 2x1 65.8/145lbs - little tilted, leveled
- 2x1 68kg/150lbs - both little tilted
- 2x1 70.3kg/155lbs - both little tilted

LH:
- 2x1 63.5kg/140lbs - little tilted, leveled
- 2x1 65.8/145lbs - little tilted, tilted
- 2x1 68kg/150lbs - both tilted
- 2x1 70.3kg/155lbs - both tilted

Not bad but the problem with tilted lifts is that it's probably much harder with the inch because of the globes. 
First I want to lift the inch in any way (so not leveled), but I'm not sure if it's worth doing tilted lifts with normal dumbbells... Any opinion is welcome... @Bigfoot Grip I remember you have a loadable inch. What do you think? Should I just concentrate on doing leveled lifts with dumbells if I want to lift the inch in any way? Do you still count it as a lift in your training if the plate touches your wrist/lower part of the palm? They have this type of Ivanko dumbbells at my gym (not my picture, but we have exactly the same dumbbells), plates are not big, but still, the difference can be big compared to a globe dumbbell. 

img.jpg

• Like 4

I can't answer your question. But those are awesome dumbbell deadlifts.

• Thanks 1

Yes you want to keep it as level as possible. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

I can't answer your question. But those are awesome dumbbell deadlifts.

Thanks John! I got my Fat Gripz already used, and it rolls around the standard barbell, but these dumbbells are fine. 

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Yes you want to keep it as level as possible. 

Thanks!
Is it because of the issue I mentioned? Or smg else?

6 minutes ago, matek said:

Thanks!
Is it because of the issue I mentioned? Or smg else?

If your not lifting it level it’s probably a little to heavy, sometimes mine aren’t level lifts and It still counts as long as it’s not severe in my books.. I’m training, not competing. But you don’t want your wrist touching the plates at all.  What I do is load with lighter plates first and put heavier ones on outside. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, matek said:

Hack Squat
- 5x7 200kg/441lbs

I like thick bar deadlifts, but I might switch to thick-handle dumbbell lifts for a while because I haven't done them for a long time, and I want to lift an inch replica one day.
RH:

LH:

Not bad but the problem with tilted lifts is that it's probably much harder with the inch because of the globes. 
First I want to lift the inch in any way (so not leveled), but I'm not sure if it's worth doing tilted lifts with normal dumbbells... Any opinion is welcome... @Bigfoot Grip I remember you have a loadable inch. What do you think? Should I just concentrate on doing leveled lifts with dumbells if I want to lift the inch in any way? Do you still count it as a lift in your training if the plate touches your wrist/lower part of the palm? They have this type of Ivanko dumbbells at my gym (not my picture, but we have exactly the same dumbbells), plates are not big, but still, the difference can be big compared to a globe dumbbell. 

img.jpg

I don’t actually know have never lifted a loadable inch or inch or anything but I would think maybe a tilted lift would be easier on an inch than a fat grip because it will tilt further giving you more of like a v bar style lift where the plates will hit your wrist/forearm earlier and not give as much tilt. Just a guess though.

in my opinion if you just want to lift it any way possible I don’t see why training with a tilt wouldn’t help. It’ll get you stronger I’m sure. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, matek said:

Hack Squat
- 5x7 200kg/441lbs

RH:

LH:

img.jpg

Hey buddy thanks for the questions. I should preface my answer by saying I have never lifted the inch. I'd like to think I figured out a couple of things though on the grip journey though 😁

I personally don't see or have an issue with tilted lifts so long as the person realizes it's not the same as a level lift and likely will not be recognized as a legit lift of the inch by most grip guys. Personally I have your approach to this feat of strength. Lift it by any means(tilt) but with the goal of gradually progressing to a level lift. An analogy I can think of were you an I used to be powerlifters would be like an athlete performing a touch and go bench press PR in training with the longer term goal to be to clean it up with a strict pause for a competition in front of judges. Nothing wrong with it as long as they understand the difference. 

I like experimenting with different styles on my loadable inch. I've noticed for example using a neutral grip is easier than using a pronated grip. In older grip board threads I've noticed some gripsters advocate to lift the bells with your wrist directly over the bell almost more pinch-esque. Others may try to cup more using wrist flexion much like an arm wrestler. By far my strongest position after experimenting is neutral grip using alot of wrist flexion so my wrist is no where near being directly above the bell's handle. I actually do alot of my inch training using the harder methods with the hope of good carryover(pronated grip+wrist positioned over the handle). Typically if I just want to max out for a new PR I use my strongest position(neutral+cup wrist). May help if I mention my hands suck for this sport lol. Average length 7 5/8" and the span is 8.25". So for me what I learned early on is getting extremely strong wrists and learning how to incorporate them into grip lifts will likely be the best path forward. Could be wrong though and remain open minded. 

Hopefully this helps in some way. It's weird because of almost any grip feat or implement I've found the inch style bells to be the one that requires the most experimentation to find a lifters optimal positioning. 

@ZRMMA would be a great guy to talk to about inch lifts. Hey Zack any thoughts? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bigfoot Grip said:

Hey buddy thanks for the questions. I should preface my answer by saying I have never lifted the inch. I'd like to think I figured out a couple of things though on the grip journey though 😁

I personally don't see or have an issue with tilted lifts so long as the person realizes it's not the same as a level lift and likely will not be recognized as a legit lift of the inch by most grip guys. Personally I have your approach to this feat of strength. Lift it by any means(tilt) but with the goal of gradually progressing to a level lift. An analogy I can think of were you an I used to be powerlifters would be like an athlete performing a touch and go bench press PR in training with the longer term goal to be to clean it up with a strict pause for a competition in front of judges. Nothing wrong with it as long as they understand the difference. 

I like experimenting with different styles on my loadable inch. I've noticed for example using a neutral grip is easier than using a pronated grip. In older grip board threads I've noticed some gripsters advocate to lift the bells with your wrist directly over the bell almost more pinch-esque. Others may try to cup more using wrist flexion much like an arm wrestler. By far my strongest position after experimenting is neutral grip using alot of wrist flexion so my wrist is no where near being directly above the bell's handle. I actually do alot of my inch training using the harder methods with the hope of good carryover(pronated grip+wrist positioned over the handle). Typically if I just want to max out for a new PR I use my strongest position(neutral+cup wrist). May help if I mention my hands suck for this sport lol. Average length 7 5/8" and the span is 8.25". So for me what I learned early on is getting extremely strong wrists and learning how to incorporate them into grip lifts will likely be the best path forward. Could be wrong though and remain open minded. 

Hopefully this helps in some way. It's weird because of almost any grip feat or implement I've found the inch style bells to be the one that requires the most experimentation to find a lifters optimal positioning. 

@ZRMMA would be a great guy to talk to about inch lifts. Hey Zack any thoughts? 

I don’t get too caught up in level or tilt lifts with the actual Inch or bells above the Inch. For lifting the Inch I’d say it’s by any means necessary and over time it’ll get stronger and you can pull more level/strict lifts etc.

As far as regular dumbbells or loadable ones I would try to keep them off of your arms as much as possible. Regular dumbbells already have zero spin/torque to them and the roll or spin is what kills most on the Inch. So if you have a plain dumbbell that’s already not rolling much or at all and you use your arm contact to aid it even more or to relieve some of the weight off your grip… I think it’s just asking for disappointment down the road.

If you have a thick handled loadable (which I’ve never used) I’d assume if the plates are tight and the torque is there then mainly try to control it without contact but mixing in tilt and level may not be as bad. 

For such a basic and simple design The Inch Bell is pretty hard to replicate. Even when lifting replicas or different brands they can all have slight variance to them as well. 

• Like 4

Just now, ZRMMA said:

I don’t get too caught up in level or tilt lifts with the actual Inch or bells above the Inch. For lifting the Inch I’d say it’s by any means necessary and over time it’ll get stronger and you can pull more level/strict lifts etc.

As far as regular dumbbells or loadable ones I would try to keep them off of your arms as much as possible. Regular dumbbells already have zero spin/torque to them and the roll or spin is what kills most on the Inch. So if you have a plain dumbbell that’s already not rolling much or at all and you use your arm contact to aid it even more or to relieve some of the weight off your grip… I think it’s just asking for disappointment down the road.

If you have a thick handled loadable (which I’ve never used) I’d assume if the plates are tight and the torque is there then mainly try to control it without contact but mixing in tilt and level may not be as bad. 

For such a basic and simple design The Inch Bell is pretty hard to replicate. Even when lifting replicas or different brands they can all have slight variance to them as well. 

This

@matek,  I recommend getting an actual inch ASAP. Everything else will help but you need the inch. I don't even know how to describe the thing other than it commands respect. 

As you know, obviously I've never lifted the inch but i've been training for it for about 8 or 9 months of this or whatever its been, i'm starting to learn  and notice things. Try to be as consistent as possible, it takes time to see what works and what does. My progress has been both very frustrating and incredibly rewarding. And keep reps low, your training for strength.

• Like 2

After reading the different responses here just thought I'd ramble a bit more lol. 

The loadable or replica depending which you prefer to call it that I use is the FBBC Pro Dumbbell handle. It is 2.5"/63.5mm so slightly larger than an 2 3/8"/60mm inch dumbbell. It takes standard plates, huge threaded bolts, is the same length as the real inch(ends up kind of smushing your hand together effecting how much wrap you get) and you use wrenches to tighten the every living hell out of it.

On top of this based on suggestions by Swedish gripsters on the board I decided to use 25lb plates as opposed to 10lb plates to produce even more rotation. It is extremely hard. Harder than real inches. 

One of imo the more underrated competitive gripsters Steve Millard said once he lifted 160lbs on the Pro DB handle he lifted the inch. That's likely him using 10lb plates(which allegedly simulates the same level of rotation and pick height of the actual inch db) not the bigger plates which make it even harder. Andrew Durniat one of the goats of grip said the Pro DB handle is the most inch like feel he has ever felt!

The number 1 pain in the a** with the Pro DB is you have to build it then disassemble it every time you want to change weights. This is where I won't deny the actual inch style db's would be so much easier provided you owned a number of different sizes. Another option is using magnets, bands and other gadgets to micro load or deload the bells weight. Problem is the bells cost a fortune and imagine having to move lol. I move alot and am somewhat of a nomad and I prefer urban lifestyle much like the Japanese and Europeans do so for me I prefer the portable convenience of the Pro DB personally. If I wanted to own a detached house with a big basement or garage i.e. man cave maybe I would feel different and splurge on buying a half a dozen different size bells. 

I respect everyone's opinion on the board but one gripe I have is this assertion that everyone should spend a small fortune on grip gear. Its 100% BS and just a way to either...

A. Get gripsters to buy more from grip suppliers and manufacturers 

B. To validate all of their own purchases which likely equate to alot of money being spent. 

C. They are genuinely trying to help and think they are doing the right thing but imo I believe they are off in judgment. 

Show me a guy who can throw a fat gripz extreme on a 172lb regular gym db and I would be mystified if they couldn't lift a real inch db. While I 100% agree with Zack about it being hard to simulate the rotation of the real inch it's still important to consider the difficult aspects of a thick grip silicone attachment. What I mean is sure there will undoubtedly be less rotation using some sort of fat silicone grip. Often times they don't hold chalk the same as the inch's and can be more difficult in other ways than just rotation. Alot of people on the board in old threads have even gone as far as to say provided no tilt is being used a blue fat gripz really isn't that far off an actual inch which I can believe. I could easily see someone lifting 180lbs-185lbs strict on a blue fat gripz getting a good lift on a 172 inch. 

Morale of the story....save your money folks and don't waste thousands like my dumb a** did 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4

Thank you everyone, for your valuable input!
I definitely learned a couple of new things. @Bigfoot Grip I haven't built/copied the FBBC Pro Handle myself because it really looks troublesome to change the plates, and I already have access to big dumbbells at my gym (and the plates are super tight on them). Fat Gripz are great in many aspects, but as you said, it has drawbacks when it comes to serious thick bar training. In addition to what you've mentioned, I hate that it has a texture because of the logo, etc. (newer ones even have a rubber knurling on them). Introducing any texture makes the lifts easier... 

Since I want to lift an inch replica and certify on it (the company that makes the KWN blobs and the inch replicas runs a cert list), I'll have to buy one eventually. It might sound strange, but my biggest problem is noise absorption and floor protection (I don't have a garage). Also, I don't want to make it a "rack pull" essentially, so if the inch is elevated, I must be as well. I'll figure something out eventually, but it can't be too large because I have to store it somewhere 😄.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, matek said:

Thank you everyone, for your valuable input!
I definitely learned a couple of new things. @Bigfoot Grip I haven't built/copied the FBBC Pro Handle myself because it really looks troublesome to change the plates, and I already have access to big dumbbells at my gym (and the plates are super tight on them). Fat Gripz are great in many aspects, but as you said, it has drawbacks when it comes to serious thick bar training. In addition to what you've mentioned, I hate that it has a texture because of the logo, etc. (newer ones even have a rubber knurling on them). Introducing any texture makes the lifts easier... 

Since I want to lift an inch replica and certify on it (the company that makes the KWN blobs and the inch replicas runs a cert list), I'll have to buy one eventually. It might sound strange, but my biggest problem is noise absorption and floor protection (I don't have a garage). Also, I don't want to make it a "rack pull" essentially, so if the inch is elevated, I must be as well. I'll figure something out eventually, but it can't be too large because I have to store it somewhere 😄.

Yes great point about the logo and writing on the Fat Gripz brand. I much prefer the feel of steel as opposed to the plastic type of texture. But the convenience and easy portability of it is one thing I find so enticing with the thick grip attachments. Also love them for pull ups specifically neutral grip which you of course dominate on lol. 

• Like 1

Grippers
RH
- 5x2 MMS with 4-sec holds on the reps, Standard Fe RGC 134 
- 1x1 21mm choked, Standard W adjustable set to RGC 175
- 3x1 MMS set practice and holding at parallel for 3 secs, GHP #8 unrated

The second set practice felt super good, but unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what I did differently :(. Edit: did one more, maybe I can replicate that set. Unfortunately, it was my usual set

LH
- 5x1 21mm choked, Standard W adjustable set to RGC 160
- 4x1 U-shaped parallel gripper (30mm) set to RGC ~147

+ 5x14 21kg/46lbs Neck extensions between the gripper sets

20230406.jpeg

Edited by matek
  • Like 6

I like the neck work. When a dude has a thick neck, instinctively you're thinking "he's going to be hard to knock out... Or choke..." 

Or maybe that's just me. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Gripperer said:

I like the neck work. When a dude has a thick neck, instinctively you're thinking "he's going to be hard to knock out... Or choke..." 

Or maybe that's just me. 

Haha thanks! I got this neck harness recently, to do something meaningful between pinch/gripper sets that doesn't influence my grip sets at all. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, matek said:

Haha thanks! I got this neck harness recently, to do something meaningful between pinch/gripper sets that doesn't influence my grip sets at all. 

I’ve been thinking about buying one myself.

• Like 2

OHP
- 3x3 92.5kg/204lbs
- 2x5 85kg/187.4lbs
- 1x7 80kg/176.4lbs

Weighted neutral grip pullups
- 3x4 43.5kg/95.9lbs
- 2x6 36kg/77.2lbs
- 1x9 20kg/44.1lbs

This felt relatively easy today.

Weighted dips
- 2x8 31kg/68.3lbs
- 1x12 20kg/44.1lbs

One-handed cable triceps pushdown
- 3x12 45.4kg/100lbs both arms
My left elbow hated this, I won't do this again. 

One-handed iso-lateral row - Hammer Strength
(counting only the plates)
- 3x10 100kg/220.5lbs both left and right

Lat pulldown
- 2x8 127kg/280lbs
- 1x10 118kg/260lbs

Skipped 300lbs this week, I was way too tired at this point. 

+ did 3x14 traps shrugs on the calf machine (full stack) while I was waiting for the dips parallel bar

I ate a bunch of chicken heart skewers after workout, so recovery 2000%.
Now it's Saturday night here, and Monday is supposed to be DU and reverse bending... I might have to reschedule that. But if I feel like I recovered to 70-80%, I will just do it. 

• Like 4

Nice work

• Thanks 1