DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

Just now, Kluv#0 said:

Strong work again with the sledgehammer! I love wrist strength training as you earn everything-nothing given.

Thank you very much!

Same here!

I agree I love having to push myself in order to get PR's.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Golden grip grippers:

Warming up:

100 lbs

150 lbs

200 lbs

300 lbs gripper:

3 no set attempts:

I got pretty damn close but I started realising that training torsion spring grippers without a set is a waste of time so I used a small set for my final attempt I measured the spread between the handles after using the set and it was 5 cm.

4th attempt with a set: CLOSED YEAHHHHHHHHH BUDDY GOAL SMASHED!

Since I closed the gripper today I will start using the Ivanko twice a week from now on because I don't have a torsion spring gripper that is more difficult than this one.

Vulcan V2 gripper:

Orange spring

4 singles: 8-7

Got all 4

Wrists:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Hammer curl

Reverse curl

Recovery:

100 lbs golden grip gripper 3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 4

Nice, strong closes! 5cm is really wide, almost CCS. Do you plan on certifying on a CoC, or wide sets just feel good because of your giant hands? 😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, matek said:

Nice, strong closes! 5cm is really wide, almost CCS. Do you plan on certifying on a CoC, or wide sets just feel good because of your giant hands? 😁

Thanks I appreciate it!

Yeah I would like to certify one day.

No sets and wide sets are my favourite sets but I am training credit card sets now because it is the "narrowest" set that actually feels good.

MMS and deep sets despite my inability to set grippers that deep just don't feel good.

I suck at setting but deep sets and mms just feel weird even with a trainer.

The only reason I am using 5 cm sets with this gripper is because it actually got narrower from using it too much which sucks so now in order to set it I just keypinch the handles and the distance between the handles is 5 cm after the keypinch "set".

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

I see. I'm sure you can get to a really high level in no time! I tried every kind of set, and indeed TNS feels completely different than a CCS. Neither feels good to me though 😁. With my normal-sized hands, my strategy is to get strong MMS, then GHP block sets, then start training CCS. So going wider and wider. Certification-wise; MM Level 0 -> GHP Level 7 -> Coc#3. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matek said:

I see. I'm sure you can get to a really high level in no time! I tried every kind of set, and indeed TNS feels completely different than a CCS. Neither feels good to me though 😁. With my normal-sized hands, my strategy is to get strong MMS, then GHP block sets, then start training CCS. So going wider and wider. Certification-wise; MM Level 0 -> GHP Level 7 -> Coc#3. 

I hope so!

Yeah all sets feel completely different.

That's a good strategy!

Good luck on your gripper journey!

• Thanks 1

Today's session:

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up: (1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

One rep max: (6,10) easy close

Vulcan V2: 4 attempts:

I did one attempt with 8-8 I got pretty close.

I decided to give negatives a try again.

I did 2 negatives with 8-8 these felt pretty easy so I moved up a notch to 8-9 and did two more negatives.

These negatives felt great so I might use them to break through my singles plateau.

My one rep max keeps going up so I don't need them for that.

Rebuilding my Ivanko strength with this strategy is going great!

Wrists:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Sledge choke

Hammer curl

Reverse curl

Recovery:

Golden grip 100 lbs gripper:

3x failure

• Like 3

Great work big man 💪 Ivanko super gripper is tough! I have one but my son likes to lose it frequently:(

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Great work big man 💪 Ivanko super gripper is tough! I have one but my son likes to lose it frequently:(

Thanks for the support man I really appreciate it!

Rebuilding my strength is going really well.

It definitely is hopefully I will be able to close the highest setting in a few months from now.

I am also going to get a loading pin,plates,a pinch block and a rolling handle this year.

I really want to be more well rounded I am kind of a one trick pony right now.

That sucks :(

Maybe you should hide it from your son then haha.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

If I repeat myself multiple times or say that I really appreciate your support a million times it's because my memory is pretty bad because of an accident I have had when I was younger.

I often forget that I have already thanked someone.

I obviously do appreciate all the support but I can imagine it getting annoying after me saying it 10 million times.

Just know that I mean well and don't do it on purpose.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Ivanko super gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

One rep max:

(4,12) easy close!

I definitely have my "old strength" back and I am progressing insanely fast!

Vulcan V2:

9-9

3 negatives

These negatives are INSANELY effective.

If all goes well I will close (6,12) in 3 weeks from now which means negatives allowed me to make MONTHS and MONTHS worth of progress in just 5 weeks.

I have probably wasted 9 months worth of progress messing with attempts but got it all back in weeks thanks to negatives.

Wrists:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Hammer curl

Reverse curl

Sledge choke

Recovery:

100 lbs golden grip gripper:

3x failure 

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

Nice workout man. I've been thinking about trying negatives once per week as well. 

• Like 2

Be careful with those negatives man, I've seen so many people injure themselves due to them, I personally never rely on them

• Like 1

6 hours ago, matek said:

Nice workout man. I've been thinking about trying negatives once per week as well. 

I personally would NEVER recommend them to anyone because promoting a training style that has a very high injury risk is something I would never do but in the end it is up to you.

Only perform them like this.

Also I do my negatives AFTER my max work, only use a gripper I can close with just my hands and only use grippers I am about a MMS from closing.

Negatives do not have to be heavy in order to be effective.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Be careful with those negatives man, I've seen so many people injure themselves due to them, I personally never rely on them

Thank you for looking out for me I really appreciate it.

I am VERY careful I do my negatives after my max work and I only do them with a gripper I am about a MMS away from closing.

Edited by DevilErik

3 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I personally would NEVER recommend them to anyone because promoting a training style that has a very high injury risk is something I would never do but in the end it is up to you.

Also I do my negatives AFTER my max work, only use a gripper I can close with just my hands and only use grippers I am about a MMS from closing.

Thank you I will keep this in mind. 

And you convinced me not to try it yet. Maybe a few months later when I'm more experienced. 

• Like 1

Today's session:

Ivanko super gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9) 

This warm up felt rather heavy so I decided not to do the (1,10).

I actually thought it was going to be a terrible session because of the warm up feeling strangely heavy.

One rep max:

I decided to skip (5,11) because it's only a 1 lb increase so I went straight to (7,10)

125 LBS RGC

SUPER EASY CLOSE

I checked three times to see whether or not I had the right setting because I SMASHED it shut like it was nothing even though it was a 5 lbs increase.

I think these negatives are turning me into a monster.

Vulcan V2:

3 negatives:

9-10

These are starting to feel heavy so I am going to stick with this setting until it feels a bit lighter.

Wrists:

Sledgehammer:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Hammer curl

Reverse curl

Sledge choke

Recovery:

3x failure

I was struggling to make progress I have wasted about 9 months messing with attempts but I am now a few settings away from (6,12) which is the setting I closed before getting the lucky close and getting injured which was (9,12).

So I was able to make MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS worth of progress in just a few weeks.

I probably won't be doing negatives forever because of the injury risk but right now they are feeling like a cheat code.

Also putting your ego aside and doing a weight reset can be super beneficial.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Ivanko super gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9) 

This warm up felt rather heavy so I decided not to do the (1,10).

I actually thought it was going to be a terrible session because of the warm up feeling strangely heavy.

One rep max:

I decided to skip (5,11) because it's only a 1 lb increase so I went straight to (7,10)

125 LBS RGC

SUPER EASY CLOSE

I checked three times to see whether or not I had the right setting because I SMASHED it shut like it was nothing even though it was a 5 lbs increase.

I think these negatives are turning me into a monster.

Vulcan V2:

3 negatives:

9-10

These are starting to feel heavy so I am going to stick with this setting until it feels a bit lighter.

Wrists:

Sledgehammer:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Hammer curl

Reverse curl

Sledge choke

Recovery:

3x failure

I was struggling to make progress I have wasted about 9 months messing with attempts but I am now a few settings away from (6,12) which is the setting I closed before getting the lucky close and getting injured which was (9,12).

So I was able to make MONTHS AND MONTHS AND MONTHS worth of progress in just a few weeks.

I probably won't be doing negatives forever because of the injury risk but right now they are feeling like a cheat code.

Also putting your ego aside and doing a weight reset can be super beneficial.

Strong workout again and congrats on excellent progress. I have a hard time setting the Vulcan gripper but might try negatives,too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

Strong workout again and congrats on excellent progress. I have a hard time setting the Vulcan gripper but might try negatives,too.

Thank you very much!

I understand that,the Vulcan is an absolute b1tch to set my closes are pretty weak because of that.

I am just using the negatives to build my Ivanko strength.

It feels like a torsion spring gripper with the orange spring so keeping it closed is pretty damn hard and since the Ivanko has a hard sweep and pretty much gives up at the end of the range of motion they have perfect synergy.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:38 PM, DevilErik said:

Thanks for sharing this vid by Jedd- very informative/useful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kluv#0 said:

Thanks for sharing this vid by Jedd- very informative/useful.

You're welcome I am glad I was able to help you with something.

Jedd has some great informative videos.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

It’s funny how everyone hands are different. I find setting the Vulcan easier than any other gripper. Maybe because there isn’t much lee-way. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

It’s funny how everyone hands are different. I find setting the Vulcan easier than any other gripper. Maybe because there isn’t much lee-way. 

Even with the CROM spring?

21 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Even with the CROM spring?

I have the CROM but I haven’t even tried it. Don’t get me wrong it’s hard to set. I find it easier to know when it’s properly set vs a COC. Maybe that’s a better way of putting it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I have the CROM but I haven’t even tried it. Don’t get me wrong it’s hard to set. I find it easier to know when it’s properly set vs a COC. Maybe that’s a better way of putting it.

I am terrible at setting lol it always feels like the gripper is trying to open my hand which means I am probably the most terrible setter ever.

I am getting better at it though now that I am messing with negatives.

The narrowest set I do is CCS so it doesn't really matter haha.

Edited by DevilErik