DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

nice work, just be careful with that right hand 

Today's workout:

Warming up: 1 close with the 100 lbs golden grip gripper.

4 no set attempts with the 300 Lbs golden grip gripper (getting closer)

4 no set closes and holds to failure with the 250 lbs golden grip gripper.

First set: close +15 second hold

Second set: close + 12 second hold

Third set: close + 8 second hold

Fourth set: Couldn't get the close so didn't do the set.

I could easily get 6 closes with the 250 lbs gripper so I had to find a way to make it more difficult for myself because I don't have a gripper in between the 250 and 300 lbs.

I didn't do any dynamic pinch today I have been dealing with some wrist tendonitis lately and I think that dynamic pinching is what caused it.

I went a bit overboard with it I will up the reps and take some elastic bands off.

Luckily I have been able to get rid of 90% of my tendonitis with ultra high reps with a super light gripper,some radial deviation stretches with my sledgehammer and some ultra high rep wrist flexion and extensions with a resistance band.

The stretches hurt but they did help.

Recovery: extensor bands 3x reps to failure and 2x holds to failure.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Today's workout:

Warming up: 1 close with the 100 lbs golden grip gripper.

4 no set attempts with the 300 Lbs golden grip gripper (getting closer)

4 no set closes and holds to failure with the 250 lbs golden grip gripper.

First set: close +15 second hold

Second set: close + 12 second hold

Third set: close + 8 second hold

Fourth set: Couldn't get the close so didn't do the set.

I could easily get 6 closes with the 250 lbs gripper so I had to find a way to make it more difficult for myself because I don't have a gripper in between the 250 and 300 lbs.

I didn't do any dynamic pinch today I have been dealing with some wrist tendonitis lately and I think that dynamic pinching is what caused it.

I went a bit overboard with it I will up the reps and take some elastic bands off.

Luckily I have been able to get rid of 90% of my tendonitis with ultra high reps with a super light gripper,some radial deviation stretches with my sledgehammer and some ultra high rep wrist flexion and extensions with a resistance band.

The stretches hurt but they did help.

Recovery: extensor bands 3x reps to failure and 2x holds to failure.

Tendonitis blows. About 8 years ago I developed it in both elbows, both hands and both feet.  Because it was in multiple places and both sides, I was so scared I had rheumatoid arthritis like my mom and had to get tests. Turned out to be from how i was holding my tablet night in bed and bending my wrists....As for my feet... well you gotta know when to get new work boots.

I don't know if stretching is new for your or not. But take it from  still someone young enough I COULD still get away neglecting it, don't. It's just as important.  I started  stretching when i was probably 24 or 25, but got serious about it 2 years ago.  I wish I took it more serious when I was 18.. Nothing crazy, just 10-20 minutes of full body stretching and once you get you know what your body needs focus on those areas.   I'm not saying your muscle are tight I have no idea and i'm no physical therapist, but tight chest muscles, neck, shoulders, they can attribute to tendonitis and I think its very important if you wanna be one of those badasses in their 60s still setting records. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Tendonitis blows. About 8 years ago I developed it in both elbows, both hands and both feet.  Because it was in multiple places and both sides, I was so scared I had rheumatoid arthritis like my mom and had to get tests. Turned out to be from how i was holding my tablet night in bed and bending my wrists....As for my feet... well you gotta know when to get new work boots.

I don't know if stretching is new for your or not. But take it from  still someone young enough I COULD still get away neglecting it, don't. It's just as important.  I started  stretching when i was probably 24 or 25, but got serious about it 2 years ago.  I wish I took it more serious when I was 18.. Nothing crazy, just 10-20 minutes of full body stretching and once you get you know what your body needs focus on those areas.   I'm not saying your muscle are tight I have no idea and i'm no physical therapist, but tight chest muscles, neck, shoulders, they can attribute to tendonitis and I think its very important if you wanna be one of those badasses in their 60s still setting records. 

Damn that sucks man.

I am not a big fan of stretching in general.

My wrist was just feeling super tight and it was hurting all the time.

I do believe that stretching can help with pain relief but I don't believe in the principle of stretching in order to prevent pain.

I used to stretch my fingers all the time and that actually made me lose gripper strength and it didn't do anything for me.

I have to have a certain amount of tightness in my fingers in order to exert maximum force.

If stretching works for you by all means keep doing it but it only works for me when I am already in pain.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Yep as we get older we need to stretch more.

Today's workout:

Ivanko super gripper warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-26-43-60 LBS RGC

4 NS attempts:

Figured out a way to prevent myself from cheating at No Sets.

My TNS is just as strong as my NS with this gripper but the gripper feels more stable in my hand while doing no sets.

Did the first attempt with (10,12) it just felt off it was way too heavy I am clearly not recovered from last workout.

So I decided to drop down to (8,12) 156 LBS RGC

Did 3 NS attempts with (8,12) these were very close.

4 NS reps with (7,9) 113 LBS RGC.

I nearly closed (4,12) 120 LBS last time but I just wasn't feeling it today so I dropped down to 113 lbs RGC just to make sure I'd get the reps.

Didn't do any dynamic pinch today I am pain free but I want to wait another week before going back to dynamic pinch.

Better be safe than sorry.

Recovery: 

Extensor bands 3x reps to failure

2x holds to failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Because I am not able to recover from the closes + holds I will just do 6 attempts  without any reps from now until I am able to close the 300 LBS golden grip gripper.

Just got my Orange Spring in the mail!

It's time to become a No Set MONSTER!

20220127_131921.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

It's time to become a No Set MONSTER!

Vulcan is so wide (and pretty heavy as for a handgripper grabbed with one hand)!  That would be a real challenge 😎

Good luck and don't get injured!

Edited by insane.warrior
  • Like 1

Just now, insane.warrior said:

Vulcan is so wide!  That would be a real challenge 😎

Good luck and don't get injured!

The Vulcan is insanely wide.

Luckily my hand is also pretty wide.

Thanks man! I am super careful now.

20220127_141548.thumb.jpg.90989ddb1bf24e0aeacaf4aaefc58ab2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Today's workout:

Vulcan V2 Orange spring

Warming up: 

1-1

2-2

Tested the highest setting and moved it about a quarter of the  range of motion

Dropped down to 8-8 for 4 No set attempts.

First attempt: Got pretty close damn this spring feels great!

Second attempt: Moved it approximately the same distance as my first attempt.

Third attempt: Same as the second attempt

Fourth attempt: Moved it a good distance obviously not as far as previous attempts.

Left hand attempts feel pretty odd the Vulcan often ends up locking up the first joint in my pinky finger.

I pushed through the first time to see whether it would go away or not but it didn't so I now set the Vulcan a tiny bit when using it with my left hand.

I don't want to end up injuring my pinky.

4 reps: decided to drop down to 6-6 for my reps.

6-6 is perfect for my reps damn I love this spring!!!!

The first 2 reps were super easy I missed the third by a cm but I hit the fourth.

This session went great I am super happy with the orange spring it just feels awesome!

The journey to closing the highest setting with a No Set begins now!

Recovery:

Extensor bands:

3x reps to failure

2x holds to failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

I found the cause of my wrist tendonitis.

It's actually my extensor band and not my pony clamp.

I have been doing finger extensor work with the lighest extensor band I have for a while now and I have never even felt my wrist while using it.

I just tried out the heaviest one again for the first time in a week and my wrist started aching right away.

I switched back to the lighest one and the pain immediately stopped.

I am glad I found the cause I will stop using the heaviest one for now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I found the cause of my wrist tendonitis.

It's actually my extensor band and not my pony clamp.

I have been doing finger extensor work with the lighest extensor band I have for a while now and I have never even felt my wrist while using it.

I just tried out the heaviest one again for the first time in a week and my wrist started aching right away.

I switched back to the lighest one and the pain immediately stopped.

I am glad I found the cause I will stop using the heaviest one for now.

In the past ive had elbow problems from bands 

Have you tried using the extensor bands thumbless? 

Thats what i do and they have never felt better. Its a smaller ROM but i really feel my extensors more and get a crazy Hypothenar(pinkie pad) pump from them. Worth a try.

• Like 1

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

In the past ive had elbow problems from bands 

Have you tried using the extensor bands thumbless? 

Thats what i do and they have never felt better. Its a smaller ROM but i really feel my extensors more and get a crazy Hypothenar(pinkie pad) pump from them. Worth a try.

I just grabbed them and tried it after reading your message.

This actually feels great and the pinkie pad pump is insane!

Thanks for the tip dude!

• Like 1

Nice work. What did happen to you right hand

17 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Nice work. What did happen to you right hand

Thanks!

Nothing's happened to my hand that was Jermiah.

I just had wrist tendonitis from extensor work that was too heavy.

Edited by DevilErik

19 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I just grabbed them and tried it after reading your message.

This actually feels great and the pinkie pad pump is insane!

Thanks for the tip dude!

No worries, im glad i could help. I do them after each session and my pinkie pads have grown and my wrists and elbows have feel great since i switched to thumbless. 

I do reps upto 100 and the pump is insane.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

No worries, im glad i could help. I do them after each session and my pinkie pads have grown and my wrists and elbows have feel great since i switched to thumbless. 

I do reps upto 100 and the pump is insane.

I really need a bigger pinkie pad.

My thumb pad has gotten huge but my pinkie pad just won't grow.

This might finally cause it to grow.

I am super happy with this tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

I really need a bigger pinkie pad.

My thumb pad has gotten huge but my pinkie pad just won't grow.

This might finally cause it to grow.

I am super happy with this tip.

Mine sort of the opposite, my pinkie pads grow quite well but my thumb pad is slow going even though i do plenty of pinch and thick bar work.

I think genetics play a big part of how your hands grow. My hands thicken on the outer side as well and have grown from the thumbless extensor bands. I can flex my hands and the interossei muscles that lay between the metacarpals pop out. It freaks my wife out lol. 

No flexed and flexed.

If you want pinkie pad growth id recommend the bands thumbless like ive said but also lots of high volume Sledgehammer finger walks. Nothing pumps my hands up like them and ive had growth from them. They will also help your grip in all aspects big style 

20220129_114200.jpg

20220129_114225.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Mine sort of the opposite, my pinkie pads grow quite well but my thumb pad is slow going even though i do plenty of pinch and thick bar work.

I think genetics play a big part of how your hands grow. My hands thicken on the outer side as well and have grown from the thumbless extensor bands. I can flex my hands and the interossei muscles that lay between the metacarpals pop out. It freaks my wife out lol. 

No flexed and flexed.

If you want pinkie pad growth id recommend the bands thumbless like ive said but also lots of high volume Sledgehammer finger walks. Nothing pumps my hands up like them and ive had growth from them. They will also help your grip in all aspects big style 

20220129_114200.jpg

20220129_114225.jpg

That second picture looks sick haha.

My palm has gotten super meaty, my thumbpad has gotten huge and the back of my hand has gotten wider but my pinky pad is still tiny.

I agree genetics is everything.

Women don't like freaky stuff like this and things like veins all over haha I know.

I am going to start doing extensor work thumbless from now on.

I think the bigger pinky pad can help me with grippers especially considering the fact that I only train no sets and table no sets.

I can also start doing the sledge finger walks again I like them a lot but they don't really help my recovery so I quit doing them a while back.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

That second picture looks sick haha.

My palm has gotten super meaty, my thumbpad has gotten huge and the back of my hand has gotten wider but my pinky pad is still tiny.

I agree genetics is everything.

Women don't like freaky stuff like this and things like veins all over haha I know.

I am going to start doing extensor work thumbless from now on.

I think the bigger pinky pad can help me with grippers especially considering the fact that I only train no sets and table no sets.

I can also start doing the sledge finger walks again I like them a lot but they don't really help my recovery so I quit doing them a while back.

Yeah its a big freaky, kind of weird lol.

It will help your grippers no doubt about it, it can only help keep the grippers in position as well. Ive noticed that as my palms get thicker grippers feel more bedded into my palm when closing now. Although ive only recently got into traning grippers regular.

I know sledgehammer finger walks can make me very sore but if you do them often you hands adapt and do not hinder grippers. Ive found that in the past anyway. Its easy to do too much though yes 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yeah its a big freaky, kind of weird lol.

It will help your grippers no doubt about it, it can only help keep the grippers in position as well. Ive noticed that as my palms get thicker grippers feel more bedded into my palm when closing now. Although ive only recently got into traning grippers regular.

I know sledgehammer finger walks can make me very sore but if you do them often you hands adapt and do not hinder grippers. Ive found that in the past anyway. Its easy to do too much though yes 

I have also noticed that.

Now the gripper stays in place despite it moving somewhat during the close.

It's feels great when using torsion spring grippers but I did have to get used to it with the adjustable grippers.

A thicker palm for me actually feels like a disadvantage when it comes to adjustable grippers.

The adjustable grippers get pushed back because of the bigger pad increasing the distance between my fingers and the grippers which makes it a lot more difficult.

I don't really mind though I have been told that I place the grippers very far back in my hand anyway.

I just prefer it like that and I don't feel like changing it.

I would do 3 sets after my training for recovery but I have never really used them for the purpose of growing a bigger pad.

I am going to give it a try I think I will like it because I enjoy doing the exercise itself I just didn't see a reason for me to keep doing it because it doesn't seem to help my recovery at all.

I don't really do too much when it comes to grip training.

I tend to do so when it comes to forearm volume though there are so many wrist angles.

3 sets per wrist angle means 18 sets throw in some brachioradialis work and you exceed 20 sets which means you will gain less muscle as a result of that.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I have also noticed that.

Now the gripper stays in place despite it moving somewhat during the close.

It's feels great when using torsion spring grippers but I did have to get used to it with the adjustable grippers.

A thicker palm for me actually feels like a disadvantage when it comes to adjustable grippers.

The adjustable grippers get pushed back because of the bigger pad increasing the distance between my fingers and the grippers which makes it a lot more difficult.

I don't really mind though I have been told that I place the grippers very far back in my hand anyway.

I just prefer it like that and I don't feel like changing it.

I would do 3 sets after my training for recovery but I have never really used them for the purpose of growing a bigger pad.

I am going to give it a try I think I will like it because I enjoy doing the exercise itself I just didn't see a reason for me to keep doing it because it doesn't seem to help my recovery at all.

I don't really do too much when it comes to grip training.

I tend to do so when it comes to forearm volume though there are so many wrist angles.

3 sets per wrist angle means 18 sets throw in some brachioradialis work and you exceed 20 sets which means you will gain less muscle as a result of that.

Ive only ever tried normal torsion spring grippers but i can see how the vulcan would be different in the hand.

Yes include them as i think.they are benefical just start with low volume. 

Personally i do quite a bit of total forearm and grip work. Maybe over a week 50-60 sets but a lot of it is lower rep stuff. I tfain on instinct no set routines so it would differ every week but i like a lot of overall volume. Works for me. The only thing i like to keep low volume and frequency is grippers. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Ive only ever tried normal torsion spring grippers but i can see how the vulcan would be different in the hand.

Yes include them as i think.they are benefical just start with low volume. 

Personally i do quite a bit of total forearm and grip work. Maybe over a week 50-60 sets but a lot of it is lower rep stuff. I tfain on instinct no set routines so it would differ every week but i like a lot of overall volume. Works for me. The only thing i like to keep low volume and frequency is grippers. 

Wow that is A LOT.

I love lower rep stuff once  I am able to go back to sledgehammer levering I will start doing low rep stuff again.

I have tried sets of 5-10 but I don't like it.

Triples and singles just feel awesome in my opinion.

I only do 16 singles in a week for grippers.

I would do about the same for thickbar and pinch combined.

I respond really well to high intensity low volume.

I love strength but I was never able to train for strength with my full body training because of an accident I have had when I was younger.

But I can train for grip strength and wrist strength and the more I train grip and wrists the more I fall in love with strength in general despite not being able to lift heavy.

Today's workout:

Ivanko Super Gripper

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)

I decided to drop down permanently because I feel like super close attempts work way better on the Ivanko than the attempts on settings I can only close halfway.

4 attempts: (9,11) 160 LBS RGC

These were all SUPER close.

4 reps: (7,10) 125 LBS RGC these technically weren't reps but they were crazy close I only missed by a hair.

Recovery:

Extensor bands

3x reps to failure

2x holds to failure

• Like 1