DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

4 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Im glad i could be a help.

Yes loading pin work is a good height, not too low. Ive also found with all the unilateral tfaining that my whole core is stronger now. My lower back and obliques. Doing lots of 1 sided thick bar lifts really helps build core stability so i think it will help you back for sure.

Anyway good luck with your training, i look forward to seeing you progress once you start pinch and thick bar.

That is awesome!

Thanks man I appreciate it!

I am going to give them my all once I have the equipment for it.

That's also the time I am going to start working towards a 20 kg plate curl.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Today's workout:

Grippers+Wrists

Warming up: 100 LBS Golden Grip Gripper 1 single

Golden grip 300 lbs gripper

4 No Set attempts: I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOO CLOSEEEEEEE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

man this sucked hopefully I will get it next week.

Vulcan V2 Gripper Orange Spring.

4 No Set Singles: 7-6 PR!

Missed 2 attempts by a hair with my right hand.

Got all 4 with my left hand due to using a tiny set just enough so I could get my pinkie on it.

For some reason I am able to set the Vulcan with my right hand.

Wrists:

Sledgehammer all angles 1 single I am definitely getting stronger.

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Hammer curl

Reverse curl

Circumduction

Recovery:

Thumbless extensor bands:

3x reps to failure

2x holds

No more wrist pain while doing these!

This workout went great!

I am still getting stronger each week.

I just have to be patient which I am not very good at to be honest.

Just a quick update regarding my goals:

When I first joined this forum my goals were to pinch 2 45's, close a CoC no.4 with a credit card set, and lift the inch dumbbell however at that time I wasn't aware of how ultra specific grip training is.

I now realise that I don't really have specific goals other than to certify on the no.3 without a set and eventually get to a 20 kg plate curl.

I don't feel like focusing on one specific lift until I reach my goal.

I just want to be good at everything.

I have blue fatgripz and fatgripz extreme these and a rolling handle is all I really need.

There's also a dozen different pinch implements out there and I'd much rather focus on getting good numbers on those.

Of course I could always get the flask later on if I do change my mind.

But for now I just want to focus on numbers rather than specific goals/lifts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Just a quick update regarding my goals:

When I first joined this forum my goals were to pinch 2 45's, close a CoC no.4 with a credit card set, and lift the inch dumbbell however at that time I wasn't aware of how ultra specific grip training is.

I now realise that I don't really have specific goals other than to certify on the no.3 without a set and eventually get to a 20 kg plate curl.

I don't feel like focusing on one specific lift until I reach my goal.

I just want to be good at everything.

I have blue fatgripz and fatgripz extreme these and a rolling handle is all I really need.

There's also a dozen different pinch implements out there and I'd much rather focus on getting good numbers on those.

Of course I could always get the flask later on if I do change my mind.

But for now I just want to focus on numbers rather than specific goals/lifts.

The way you are going you will be great at everything... It seems like it takes a year two of doing things to realize what works and doesn't work for you. It took until the latter half of 2021 to see that for me.

Now i'm finally much more focused and determined but i got a small health issue going on, so I haven't progressed for awhile. 

• Like 2

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

The way you are going you will be great at everything... It seems like it takes a year two of doing things to realize what works and doesn't work for you. It took until the latter half of 2021 to see that for me.

Now i'm finally much more focused and determined but i got a small health issue going on, so I haven't progressed for awhile. 

That's what I want man.

Once I get my loading pin,implements and weights I am going to test different rep ranges, intensities etc.

It's great that you've figured it out though.

Great to hear about you being more focused and determined, I am sorry to hear about the health issue though hopefully you'll be able to recover soon and go back to making progress again.

• Like 1

Today's workout:

This was a weird one but I tried to make the best of it.

It might be because of me waking up at 6 am but I usually don't perform worse with less sleep so I don't know.

Grippers+Wrists

Warming up: 

Ivanko Super Gripper

(1,3) 26 LBS RGC

4 attempts:

First attempt:(9,11)

this felt EXTREMELY heavy I didn't really understand this could it be the lack of sleep despite me normally not noticing a difference?

Second attempt:(9,11)

This felt somewhat lighter than my first attempt but still way too heavy.

Third attempt: I really wanted to make sure it wasn't my lack of sleep so instead of dropping down I increased the weight.

Third attempt: (9.12) 

I moved this just as far as the (9,11)

Fourth attempt:

I was like f it let's go up another notch and go to (10,12) which is the highest setting.

I moved this just as far as (9,11) so apparently it really doesn't matter what weight I am doing with attempts.

Singles:

Ivanko super gripper (6,11) I moved this pretty far but still wasn't able to close it so I decided to grab my Vulcan and use that instead for the remaining singles.

I moved it up a notch to 7-7 instead of no setting it I decided to try ultra wide sets which basically means that I set the Vulcan a tiny bit so I can get my pinky on the handle.

No Sets are great but they sometimes lock up my pinky or make the gripper slide while closing it thus increasing the injury risk.

I really don't want to get injured so I will just set it a tiny bit from now on.

I decided to do 4 singles and I got all of them. 

This is more volume than I normally do but it worked well.

For the last single I attempted 8-8 I misssed it by a hair.

This routine works way better for me attempts only seem to increase my sweep but they don't really do anything for my closing strength.

So from now on I will do 8 singles on Monday instead of 4 attempts and 4 singles.

I will however continue to do attempts with my golden grip gripper because I will probably close it very soon.

Wrists:

All angles 1 single

Sledgehammer

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Sledgehammer curl

Reverse curl

Recovery:

Thumbless extensor bands

I decided to do a bit more volume because my pinky pad is actually growing from doing these!

5x reps to failure

3x holds to failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Today's workout:

This was a weird one but I tried to make the best of it.

It might be because of me waking up at 6 am but I usually don't perform worse with less sleep so I don't know.

Grippers+Wrists

Warming up: 

Ivanko Super Gripper

(1,3) 26 LBS RGC

4 attempts:

First attempt:(9,11)

this felt EXTREMELY heavy I didn't really understand this could it be the lack of sleep despite me normally not noticing a difference?

Second attempt:(9,11)

This felt somewhat lighter than my first attempt but still way too heavy.

Third attempt: I really wanted to make sure it wasn't my lack of sleep so instead of dropping down I increased the weight.

Third attempt: (9.12) 

I moved this just as far as the (9,11)

Fourth attempt:

I was like f it let's go up another notch and go to (10,12) which is the highest setting.

I moved this just as far as (9,11) so apparently it really doesn't matter what weight I am doing with attempts.

Singles:

Ivanko super gripper (6,11) I moved this pretty far but still wasn't able to close it so I decided to grab my Vulcan and use that instead for the remaining singles.

I moved it up a notch to 7-7 instead of no setting it I decided to try ultra wide sets which basically means that I set the Vulcan a tiny bit so I can get my pinky on the handle.

No Sets are great but they sometimes lock up my pinky or make the gripper slide while closing it thus increasing the injury risk.

I really don't want to get injured so I will just set it a tiny bit from now on.

I decided to do 4 singles and I got all of them. 

This is more volume than I normally do but it worked well.

For the last single I attempted 8-8 I misssed it by a hair.

This routine works way better for me attempts only seem to increase my sweep but they don't really do anything for my closing strength.

So from now on I will do 8 singles on Monday instead of 4 attempts and 4 singles.

I will however continue to do attempts with my golden grip gripper because I will probably close it very soon.

Wrists:

All angles 1 single

Sledgehammer

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Sledgehammer curl

Reverse curl

Recovery:

Thumbless extensor bands

I decided to do a bit more volume because my pinky pad is actually growing from doing these!

5x reps to failure

3x holds to failure

It sounds like you CNS just needed activated before your grippers. What do you do to warm up before grippers? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It sounds like you CNS just needed activated before your grippers. What do you do to warm up before grippers? 

I don't warm up at all haha (1,3) 26 lbs RGC was my warming up lol.

I used to do warm ups but they would make me weaker so it is really hard to find the right weight to do warm ups with.

Edited by DevilErik

25 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I think you are right.

I will go back to my old warming up.

(1.3)-(1.5)-(1,7)

And for my golden grip grippers I will close the 100 LBS and the 150 lbs let's see how that will go.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I think you are right.

I will go back to my old warming up.

(1.3)-(1.5)-(1,7)

And for my golden grip grippers I will close the 100 LBS and the 150 lbs let's see how that will go.

Its best to do something. Pushups are good. Do a couple of normal sets then a couple of explosive Clapping or hand release pushups. Then your CNS will be activated and you will perform better at grippers.

• Like 2

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Its best to do something. Pushups are good. Do a couple of normal sets then a couple of explosive Clapping or hand release pushups. Then your CNS will be activated and you will perform better at grippers.

Thanks for the tip man! I will give that a try next workout.

• Like 1

Today's workout:

Golden grip grippers:

Warming up:

100 lbs gripper: 1 close

150 lbs gripper: 1 close

300 LBS gripper: 4 no set attempts

Got INSANELY close on all 4.

I moved the gripper closer to the first palm crease.

I was used to having it all the way back in my hand I kept forgetting to move it.

I am A LOT stronger this way as expected.

Thanks for the tip @Jermiah Merciconah!

I am less than half a cm away from closing this gripper.

Vulcan V2 gripper:4 CCS singles

I moved up to 7-8

Got all 4 (PR!)

I can actually set the Vulcan with the orange spring so I decided to do 4 CCS singles.

Also the gripper is not trying to open my hand for some reason.

So I guess I can actually start training credit card sets from now on.

This will get me to my goals a lot faster.

Wrists: all angles 1 single

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Sledgehammer curl

Reverse curl

Circumduction

Singles work insanely well for wrist strength I am getting stronger every week!

Recovery: 

Golden grip 100 lbs gripper:

3x reps to failure

Extensor bands give me terrible ulnar tendonitis so I can't use them anymore.

This workout went insanely well!

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Today's workout:

Golden grip grippers:

Warming up:

100 lbs gripper: 1 close

150 lbs gripper: 1 close

300 LBS gripper: 4 no set attempts

Got INSANELY close on all 4.

I moved the gripper closer to the first palm crease.

I was used to having it all the way back in my hand I kept forgetting to move it.

I am A LOT stronger this way as expected.

Thanks for the tip @Jermiah Merciconah!

I am less than half a cm away from closing this gripper.

Vulcan V2 gripper:4 CCS singles

I moved up to 7-8

Got all 4 (PR!)

I can actually set the Vulcan with the orange spring so I decided to do 4 CCS singles.

Also the gripper is not trying to open my hand for some reason.

So I guess I can actually start training credit card sets from now on.

This will get me to my goals a lot faster.

Wrists: all angles 1 single

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Sledgehammer curl

Reverse curl

Circumduction

Singles work insanely well for wrist strength I am getting stronger every week!

Recovery: 

Golden grip 100 lbs gripper:

3x reps to failure

Extensor bands give me terrible ulnar tendonitis so I can't use them anymore.

This workout went insanely well!

Fantastic Job! :) looks like exciting progress from start to finish of your post :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Fantastic Job! :) looks like exciting progress from start to finish of your post :D 

Thanks! I appreciate it!

• Like 1

Today's workout:

Ivanko super gripper:

(6,12) miss

(4,12) miss

(2,12) easy close

My close has gotten extremely weak on the Ivanko.

Attempts clearly haven't worked for me so I decided to drop down to something I could easily close and I will start building up my strength again from here.

I lost my ego a while back when it comes to grip so I really don't care.

Vulcan V2 gripper:

4 CCS singles 8-7 PR!!!!

It is very clear that I have my "old" strength back from when I first got my Ivanko.

I am finally smashing PR's left and right again after my dumb ass injury from a long ass time ago.

I just have to start focusing on actual closes again on the ivanko instead of these attempts that aren't working for me.

Wrists all angles 1 single:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Sledgehammer curl

Reverse curl

Circumduction

Sledge choke

My wrists are getting mad strong.

Recovery:

3 sets to failure with the golden grip 100 lbs gripper.

This workout went great!

Now that I have my "old" strength back I can finally start destroying my goals!

The sky is the limit!

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Today's workout:

Ivanko super gripper:

(6,12) miss

(4,12) miss

(2,12) easy close

My close has gotten extremely weak on the Ivanko.

Attempts clearly haven't worked for me so I decided to drop down to something I could easily close and I will start building up my strength again from here.

I lost my ego a while back when it comes to grip so I really don't care.

Vulcan V2 gripper:

4 CCS singles 8-7 PR!!!!

It is very clear that I have my "old" strength back from when I first got my Ivanko.

I am finally smashing PR's left and right again after my dumb ass injury from a long ass time ago.

I just have to start focusing on actual closes again on the ivanko instead of these attempts that aren't working for me.

Wrists all angles 1 single:

Wrist curl

Reverse wrist curl

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Sledgehammer curl

Reverse curl

Circumduction

Sledge choke

My wrists are getting mad strong.

Recovery:

3 sets to failure with the golden grip 100 lbs gripper.

This workout went great!

Now that I have my "old" strength back I can finally start destroying my goals!

The sky is the limit!

Great work. I own an Ivanko SG but have not used it in years, do you feel you get any carryover to normal TSG Grippers? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great work. I own an Ivanko SG but have not used it in years, do you feel you get any carryover to normal TSG Grippers? 

I was nearly able to close the 300 lbs golden grip gripper without a set when I first got it.

Back then I could not even use my Vulcan because I didn't have the orange spring and the CROM spring is just way too heavy to set.

So I pretty much built the strength to close a 300 lbs unrated gripper with just the Ivanko.

So yeah when I get stronger on the Ivanko I also get stronger on normal TSG's.

There's a tremendous carry over in my opinion.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I was nearly able to close the 300 lbs golden grip gripper without a set when I first got it.

Back then I could not even use my Vulcan because I didn't have the orange spring and the CROM spring is just way too heavy to set.

So I pretty much built the strength to close a 300 lbs unrated gripper with just the Ivanko.

So yeah when I get stronger on the Ivanko I also get stronger on normal TSG's.

There's a tremendous carry over in my opinion.

Brilliant thanks, that is quite something. I may have to get it out and start using it. I bought it as a teenager maybe 20 years ago and used to do high rep sets, i used to enjoy the forearm pump but have not touched it since i got into regular grip training.

I remember i used to find it hard with my left sometimes as the handles would sort of move to one side at the close. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Brilliant thanks, that is quite something. I may have to get it out and start using it. I bought it as a teenager maybe 20 years ago and used to do high rep sets, i used to enjoy the forearm pump but have not touched it since i got into regular grip training.

I remember i used to find it hard with my left sometimes as the handles would sort of move to one side at the close. 

You're welcome.

I love it it is easy on your recovery and it even has some carry over to "real world" strength due to the natural range of motion.

I have the same thing I am a lot weaker with my left on the ivanko despite my strength being equal in both hands.

It sucks for the left hand but that is alright.

I just close it as far as I possibly can with my left hand.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

You're welcome.

I love it it is easy on your recovery and it even has some carry over to "real world" strength due to the natural range of motion.

I have the same thing I am a lot weaker with my left on the ivanko despite my strength being equal in both hands.

It sucks for the left hand but that is alright.

I suppose its a more natural closer to parallel handles close than TSG grippers. Ill fish it out and see how i go. I cant remember what settings i used to use. Do you have this chart with the RGC ratings that CPW made? 

20220221_134322.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I suppose its a more natural closer to parallel handles close than TSG grippers. Ill fish it out and see how i go. I cant remember what settings i used to use. Do you have this chart with the RGC ratings that CPW made? 

20220221_134322.jpg

Yeah I do I think I have even posted it here somewhere in my log.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

Just now, DevilErik said:

Yeah I do I think I have even posted here somewhere in my log.

Cool. Im going to start using the SG and use this chart. 

Do you hold the frame with the other hand to steady it while closing or is that considered cheating? 

• Like 1

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Do you hold the frame with the other hand to steady it while closing or is that considered cheating? 

No that is considered cheating haha.

I do position it with my other hand though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Assisted closes can still work though you could utilize it for rep work.

• Like 1