DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

6 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Tried some sledge levering again today for the first time in weeks.

Radial deviation: 1 single

Ulnar deviation: 1 single

Pronation: 1 single

Supination: 1 single

Wrist curl: 1 single

Reverse wrist curl: 1 single

I haven't lost any strength and I am pain free WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO.

Awesomely done, my friend! and even better when without pain! :D 

• Like 1

Just now, SkyHeart said:

Awesomely done, my friend! and even better when without pain! :D 

Ty man I appreciate it!

2 minutes ago, SkyHeart said:

Hm.. maybe the ripping of skin is due to the dryness of the chalk rubbing on your palms over and over, which temporarily reduces skin elasticity. it almost happened to me a couple of times which is why its my guess (well also what i read up on about frequent chalk use :D )  

i agree about warm ups. if i do just a little, or a couple of very easy sets, its okay, but more than once i tried working up to my max with several sets gradually getting more difficult, but then found once i thought i was ready, it just.. part of my hand and cns fuel was already spent. slightly discouraging at times xD 

Yeah that is probably it.

it's fine though as long as I am not bleeding it's alright haha.

Gripper ramping just burns you out for some reason it's weird.

It sucked thankfully I am used to not doing warm ups now haha.

10 minutes ago, apple said:

Thanks dude I appreciate it!

16 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I just checked out your log your training looks awesome man I see lots of triples and singles which happen to be my favourite rep ranges for grip haha.

You also weren't kidding when you said that you do tons of volume haha.

I also like the fact that you combine your grip and upper body stuff.

Thanks. I do combine upper body training with grip yes. I only really record grip and pulling work on my logs now but tbh all i really do now for pushing muscles are weighted dips and sometimes i do phases of overhead pressing but my right shoulder joint often plays up so i mainly stick to dips. Ive been gripping for 2 years or so but trained 20 years before that so the rest if the body is more maintenance training.

I do lots of resistance band work for the upper body but dont write most of it as im too lazy lol. 

Yes volume and frequency is key for me but i have a limit. Singles work best for grippers i think.

Pinch 1-3 and thick bar 3-6 works best. Its took me a while to figure it out.

Ive lately been splitting up training left and right on different days to good results. I love grip so i can train often and its more rest for each hand.

3 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks. I do combine upper body training with grip yes. I only really record grip and pulling work on my logs now but tbh all i really do now for pushing muscles are weighted dips and sometimes i do phases of overhead pressing but my right shoulder joint often plays up so i mainly stick to dips. Ive been gripping for 2 years or so but trained 20 years before that so the rest if the body is more maintenance training.

I do lots of resistance band work for the upper body but dont write most of it as im too lazy lol. 

Yes volume and frequency is key for me but i have a limit. Singles work best for grippers i think.

Pinch 1-3 and thick bar 3-6 works best. Its took me a while to figure it out.

Ive lately been splitting up training left and right on different days to good results. I love grip so i can train often and its more rest for each hand.

That's awesome man.

Damn man 20 years that is super impressive!

Haha I like resistance band work.

Everyone has a limit but your work capacity is still pretty insane.

I really like ramping up to a max and then doing triples after.

I agree singles are king when it comes to grippers.

That's pretty cool I wish I could train grip every day but that would just be too much.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DevilErik said:

That's awesome man.

Damn man 20 years that is super impressive!

Haha I like resistance band work.

Everyone has a limit but your work capacity is still pretty insane.

I really like ramping up to a max and then doing triples after.

I agree singles are king when it comes to grippers.

That's pretty cool I wish I could train grip every day but that would just be too much.

I started training properly when i was 13 and im 35 now. Just over 2 years of grip now.

Ive build up the work capacity over time..i started grip once per week and gradually built up. 

Im still quite new to grip so its still a learning process. Hooked for life now though i just love grip more than any other type of training ive done in the past. Its addictive.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I started training when i was 13 properly and im 35 now. 

Ive build up the work capacity over time..i started grip once per week and gradually built up. 

Im still quite new to grip so its still a learning process. Hooked for life now though i just love grip more than any other type of training ive done in the past. Its addictive.

That's freaking awesome man!

I might try that as well I tend to respond better to lower volumes though so we"ll see.

I will have to find what works best for me once I get my pinch and thickbar stuff.

I am also quite new to grip I can't wait to get my pinch and thickbar stuff.

I am also hooked for life.

Same here man it's INSANELY addictive.

I am also super happy that I am able to do sledge levering again I absolutely LOVE wrist strength as well.

A 20 kg plate curl is definitely on my list of things I'd like to accomplish.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

That's freaking awesome man!

I might try that as well I tend to respond better to lower volumes though so we"ll see.

I will have to find what works best for me once I get my pinch and thickbar stuff.

I am also quite new to grip I can't wait to get my pinch and thickbar stuff.

I am also hooked for life.

Same here man it's INSANELY addictive.

I am also super happy that I am able to do sledge levering again I absolutely LOVE wrist strength as well.

A 20 kg plate curl is definitely on my list of things I'd like to accomplish.

It takes a while to figure it all out.

I think the more advanced  and stronger you get the more rest you need.

It really id super addictive, i think about grip all the time lol

Its great news about your sledge work pain free 

A 20kg plate curl.is an ultimate goal lf mine as well. Ive done a 15kg quite a few time quite strict but a 20kg is way beyond me atm but one day. Im not traning them atm. I go through phases of focusing on 1 thing at a time as with grip there are too many things to do all at once.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It takes a while to figure it all out.

I think the more advanced  and stronger you get the more rest you need.

It really id super addictive, i think about grip all the time lol

Its great news about your sledge work pain free 

A 20kg plate curl.is an ultimate goal lf mine as well. Ive done a 15kg quite a few time quite strict but a 20kg is way beyond me atm but one day. Im not traning them atm. I go through phases of focusing on 1 thing at a time as with grip there are too many things to do all at once.

I am going to take my time.

I have definitely noticed that I have to rest 5 minutes between sets while training grippers.

Same here haha.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

I was doing too much and my pony clamp is what gave me the wrist tendonitis so I will never touch it again.

15 kg is still pretty damn impressive.

20 kg is insane but I am sure you will get it.

There are way too many things I had made this training routine that included everything from gripper reps to gripper holds like 3 different pinch widths static and dynamic stuff you name it.

After a while I started realising that it is impossible to recover from all of that and that is it unnecessary to train EVERTHING.

Also my goals have changed.

I initially wanted to pinch 2 20 kg plates and close a no.4 but I don't like plate pinching and I only train no sets so a no.4 is probably out of my reach.

My goals right now are to certify on the no.3 without a set and get as strong as possible at both pinch and thickbar.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I am going to take my time.

I have definitely noticed that I have to rest 5 minutes between sets while training grippers.

Same here haha.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

I was doing too much and my pony clamp is what gave me the wrist tendonitis so I will never touch it again.

15 kg is still pretty damn impressive.

20 kg is insane but I am sure you will get it.

There are way too many things I had made this training routine that included everything from gripper reps to gripper holds like 3 different pinch widths static and dynamic stuff you name it.

After a while I started realising that it is impossible to recover from all of that and that is it unnecessary to train EVERTHING.

Also my goals have changed.

I initially wanted to pinch 2 20 kg plates and close a no.4 but I don't like plate pinching and I only train no sets so a no.4 is probably out of my reach.

My goals right now are to certify on the no.3 without a set and get as strong as possible at both pinch and thickbar.

A no set no 4 would be crazy. Ive seen no set 3.5s so its possible one day for you and you have giant hands. 

The good thing about Grip strength is that it develops into older age and many are breaking records s in their 40s and 50s so ill hit my ultimate goals whenever. Im in this for the long haul.

Once you add in pinch and thick bar scale back gripper volume. I find if you add something in your routine, you have to ethier take something else out or reduce the volume right down.

I agree its not needed to train everything as all grip has carryover somewhat. Like now im right hand focused on grippers so ill just do a 2-3 sets of pinch and thick bar after to keep it trained. It would be too much to do it all at once. I think a degree of specialization is needed unless you are a genetic freak which im certainly not lol. I switch focuses every couple of months or so normally and it keeps my fresh and motivated and i progress well.

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

A no set no 4 would be crazy. Ive seen no set 3.5s so its possible one day for you and you have giant hands. 

The good thing about Grip strength is that it develops into older age and many are breaking recorsds s in their 40s and 50s so im ill hit my ultimate goals whenever. Im in this for the long haul.

Once you add in pinch and thick bar scale back gripper volume. I find if you add something in your routine, you have to ethier take something else out or reduce the volume right down.

I agree its not needed to train everything as all grip has carryover somewhat. Like now im right hand focused on grippers so ill just do a 2-3 sets of pinch and thick bar after to keep it trained. It would be too much to do it all at once. I think a degree of specialization is needed unless you are a genetic freak which im certainly not lol. I switch focuses every couple of months or so normally and it keeps my fresh and motivated and i progress well.

I hope so my no set is stronger than my ccs so you could be right.

Yeah I love that about grip strength.

Same here I am also in it for the long haul hopefully I'll still be training grip when I am 70.

My gripper volume is very low I only do 16 reps in an entire week.

I am happy about that.

Seeing how many different implements there are can be pretty overwhelming at times.

That's a great way of doing things!

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

My gripper volume is very low I only do 16 reps in an entire week.

I'd still say thats decently high volume, In an entire week i'll probably do between 6-8 closes in total

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I'd still say thats decently high volume, In an entire week i'll probably do between 6-8 closes in total

Damn I thought my volume was low lol.

Thanks for letting me know haha.

1 hour ago, Jermiah Merciconah said:

Interesting. Is that including warm ups? 

You when you were at a lower strength level gripper wise did you do more volume? 

Today's workout:

Ivanko Super Gripper

Warming up: (1,3)-(1,5)

4 Attempts: (9,11) 160 LBS RGC I AM GETTING CLOSER!!!

These were ALL super close!

4 singles: (6,11) 127 LBS RGC 

These were technically attempts but they were insanely close.

I'll wait until I can close both (9,11) and (6,11) before moving up.

Wrists:

Sledgehammer:

Wrist curl: 1 single

Reverse wrist curl: 1 single

radial deviation: 1 single

unlar deviation: 1 single

pronation: 1 single

supination: 1 single

Sledgehammer curls: 1 single

Sledgehammer reverse curls: 1 single

Circumduction: 1 set to failure

This workout was great I am feeling stronger every week!

Recovery: 

100 LBS Golden Grip Gripper

3x reps to failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

Quick health update:

Ever since I quit my regular resistance training back in December last year I have been feeling a lot better.

Nearly all of my back pain is gone, I have less acne flare ups and I also don't have exertion headaches anymore.

It was definitely the right decision to make despite it being a passion of mine.

I have lost about 2 kg now which is obviously muscle mass.

Performance update:

Losing mass has had ZERO effect on my gripper performance so I guess there is no correlation between muscle mass and gripper strength.

In regular resistance training there a direct correlation between your muscle mass and your one rep max strength(Strength potiental) assuming you max out frequently.

There's a 90% overlap, the remaining factors being limb length, neuromuscular effiency and muscle fiber distribution.

This is obviously within the same individual meaning you can't compare people to each other unless they are very similar in structure.

This is definitely not the case when it comes to grip.

Ofcourse heavy lifting can contribute to grip strength but sets of 5-20 do not seem to have ANY effect on grip strength whatsoever assuming you're using a regular barbell and not a thickbar ofcourse

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Quick health update:

Ever since I quit my regular resistance training back in December last year I have been feeling a lot better.

Nearly all of my back pain is gone, I have less acne flare ups and I also don't have exertion headaches anymore.

It was definitely the right decision to make despite it being a passion of mine.

Performance update:

Losing mass has had ZERO effect on my gripper performance so I guess there is no correlation between muscle mass and gripper strength.

In regular resistance training there a direct correlation between your muscle mass and your one rep max strength(Strength potiental) assuming you max out frequently.

There's a 90% overlap, the remaining factors being limb length, neuromuscular effiency and muscle fiber distribution.

This is obviously within the same individual meaning you can't compare people to each other unless they are very similar in structure.

Ofcourse heavy lifting can contribute to grip strength but sets of 5-20 do not seem to have ANY effect on grip strength whatsoever assuming you're using a regular barbell and not a thickbar ofcourse

Great to hear about no back pain.

As for losing 2 kilos of muscle, that is not much and 2kg spread over a guy your size is nothing really. The forearms are less than 2% of the bodys total muscle and chances are very little if any will have came from the forearms. 

Also grippers once you get to higher levels are often less about muscle mass but CNS and neurological adaptations. Also its more a tendon strength for grippers and tendons rarely shrink with any lost mass.

Edited by mcalpine1986
Clarity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

Quick health update:

Performance update:

That is great news... I'm just curious  What causes your acne? Just still being still kinda young or a medical condition?  I never had bad acne, just regular... I used acne medicine for awhile in high school until I realized I didn't need it.

I haven't for a couple years, but in the summer I still get a few pimples on my forehead from wearing hats at work... Apple Cider Vinegar takes care of that issue. Seriously, pour a tiny bit in a cup, a splash of water and rub it on the affected areas. It works for me... If yours is from a medical issue it might not, but give it a shot.... Thats another thing I do, a shot of it with warm water in the morning. Don't know if it does anything  internally but I'm so used to doing it i'm not gonna stop.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Great to hear about no back pain.

As for losing 2 kilos of muscle, that is not much and 2kg spread over a guy your size is nothing really. The forearms are less than 2% of the bodys total muscle and chances are very little if any will have came from the forearms. 

Also grippers once you get to higher levels are often less about muscle mass but CNS and neurological adaptations. Also its more a tendon strength for grippers and tendons rarely shrink with any lost mass.

I appreciate that man!

You are right about it being nothing.

True I always thought that as well but people kept arguing and telling me that I was wrong.

Crushing strength is like 90% CNS but the guy I was arguing with at that time called BS so I wanted to see for myself whether I was right or not.

True and my forearms also aren't big for someone my size.

Thanks for confirming that's what I always thought but I wasn't sure because people kept telling me that I was wrong and since I am pretty new to grip I wanted to see it for myself.

It's great to hear that tendons don't shrink.

Despite me only gaining gripper strength while losing mass I was still kind of afraid I was going to start losing strength down the road so I am very happy with your confirmation.

Also Jedd made a video a while back which was called: The biggest mistake grip guys make.

In this video he talked about the importance of full body training and how not training your entire body is the biggest mistake most grip guys make and that had me pretty worried because I was forced to quit.

Even though he was mainly talking about pinch and thickbar and the rest of your body not being strong enough to deadlift the weight he also briefly mentioned that it even impacts gripper performance.

Nathan holle also says that it's best to train your entire body.

Those things kinda got me worried but now I am not worried anymore so thanks for that.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

That is great news... I'm just curious  What causes your acne? Just still being still kinda young or a medical condition?  I never had bad acne, just regular... I used acne medicine for awhile in high school until I realized I didn't need it.

I haven't for a couple years, but in the summer I still get a few pimples on my forehead from wearing hats at work... Apple Cider Vinegar takes care of that issue. Seriously, pour a tiny bit in a cup, a splash of water and rub it on the affected areas. It works for me... If yours is from a medical issue it might not, but give it a shot.... Thats another thing I do, a shot of it with warm water in the morning. Don't know if it does anything  internally but I'm so used to doing it i'm not gonna stop.   

It's hereditary but I never really had much acne when I was younger and it started getting worse when I started training.

My biggest concern isn't my acne though it's my abscesses I have had like 7 and 1 nearly killed me.

This condition emerged after I turned 20.

I would get a new abscess every 3 weeks or so while training.

My acne would also get worse after training but at first I didn't think they had anything to do with each other

Like I said until I started getting a new one after 3 weeks.

I would have to take time off because of an abscess then I would go back to training and after 3 weeks I'd have another one.

That was the moment I started realising that there is correlation between the two.

Resistance training creates inflammation in the body and I have heard of a body being able to hold like an entire LB of inflammation.

That made me realise that my training might be the cause while I wasn't  entirely sure about it being the cause I was sure about it contributing to the growth of the abscesses.

Despite me having had another abscess while not training I have them WAY less often and my acne is a lot better.

Medicines don't really work for me.

Apple Cider Vinegar helps somewhat but it keeps coming back.

There is something called isotretinoin but it has HORRIBLE side effects and there is no guarantee that it will get rid of my abscesses.

19 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I appreciate that man!

You are right about it being nothing.

True I always thought that as well but people kept arguing and telling me that I was wrong.

Crushing strength is like 90% CNS but the guy I was arguing with at that time called BS so I wanted to see for myself whether I was right or not.

True and my forearms also aren't big for someone my size.

Thanks for confirming that's what I always thought but I wasn't sure because people kept telling me that I was wrong and since I am pretty new to grip I wanted to see it for myself.

It's great to hear that tendons don't shrink.

Despite me only gaining gripper strength while losing mass I was still kind of afraid I was going to start losing strength down the road so I am very happy with your confirmation.

Also Jedd made a video a while back which was called: The biggest mistake grip guys make.

In this video he talked about the importance of full body training and how not training your entire body is the biggest mistake most grip guys make and that had me pretty worried because I was forced to quit.

Even though he was mainly talking about pinch and thickbar and the rest of your body not being strong enough to deadlift the weight he also briefly mentioned that it even impacts gripper performance.

Nathan holle also says that it's best to train your entire body.

Those things kinda got me worried but now I am not worried anymore so thanks for that.

My view is, I think if you have trained your full body for years you dont just lose that strength built up overnight and will always keep a certain level of strength that never goes away as you will have stronger tendon strength than an untrained person.

Grippers need less upper body strength than say pinch or thick bar though bit it is needed for setting heavy grippers but you mainly TNS yes. Once you start pinching and thick bar you will at least maintain you mass anyway as thick bar especially really hits the back. With grip lifts you recruit more muscle due to irradiation. 

For 20 years i trained everything before i got into grip i was squat and often deadlift mad and would squat normally at least twice per week and have a decent strength level. Since i got into grip i dont really train legs as i dont need to for grip and i dont miss it. A couple of sets of kettlebell swings to warm up and my pinch and thick bar lifts have a training effect on my legs. I have lost quad mass but dont care. Its not held me back in grip as my base of strength is still there. Obviously i will have lost strength in the legs but i have enough to not hinder any grip lifts. For pushing all i do are weighted dips and i feel they help me with setting grippers. My upper back has grown with thick bar lifts yet i do very little direct training.

Most grip lifts like pinch and thick bar are less than 100kg for most people and you will have more than enough strength to do that. Its only really axle deadlifts and V bar lifts than require more full body strength.

Jedd mentioned in one of his vids that its only once you get to 300lbs/136kg on lifts that a lack of full body strength will hinder you with grip and i agree with him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcalpine1986 said:

My view is, I think if you have trained your full body for years you dont just lose that strength built up overnight and will always keep a certain level of strength that never goes away as you will have stronger tendon strength than an untrained person.

Grippers need less upper body strength than say pinch or thick bar though bit it is needed for setting heavy grippers but you mainly TNS yes. Once you start pinching and thick bar you will at least maintain you mass anyway as thick bar especially really hits the back. With grip lifts you recruit more muscle due to irradiation. 

For 20 years i trained everything before i got into grip i was squat and often deadlift mad and would squat normally at least twice per week and have a decent strength level. Since i got into grip i dont really train legs as i dont need to for grip and i dont miss it. A couple of sets of kettlebell swings to warm up and my pinch and thick bar lifts have a training effect on my legs. I have lost quad mass but dont care. Its not held me back in grip as my base of strength is still there. Obviously i will have lost strength in the legs but i have enough to not hinder any grip lifts. For pushing all i do are weighted dips and i feel they help me with setting grippers. My upper back has grown with thick bar lifts yet i do very little direct training.

Most grip lifts like pinch and thick bar are less than 100kg for most people and you will have more than enough strength to do that. Its only really axle deadlifts and V bar lifts than require more full body strength.

Jedd mentioned in one of his vids that its only once you get to 300lbs/136kg on lifts that a lack of full body strength will hinder you with grip and i agree with him. 

I agree.

True I never set grippers anyway so I don't need it for grippers.

I have read about the irradiation effect before and thought it was pretty cool.

It's great that you can still grow with just grip lifts.

Awesome! This information is super helpful thank you so much man!

I stay away from axle and v bar anyway.

My back might be strong enough once I get there because of me training my back through that range of motion from the start.

The loading pin will probably make my lower back stronger despite the tiny range of motion.

That 's why I really want a loading pin it's perfect for my back because the range of motion it tiny compared to other lifts.

• Like 1

Im glad i could be a help.

Yes loading pin work is a good height, not too low. Ive also found with all the unilateral tfaining that my whole core is stronger now. My lower back and obliques. Doing lots of 1 sided thick bar lifts really helps build core stability so i think it will help you back for sure.

Anyway good luck with your training, i look forward to seeing you progress once you start pinch and thick bar.

• Like 1