DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

9 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I am terrible at setting lol it always feels like the gripper is trying to open my hand which means I am probably the most terrible setter ever.

I am getting better at it though now that I am messing with negatives.

I get what you mean. Maybe when I get to a higher setting like you I’ll know first hand (pun intended) what you mean and be afraid of it flying out of my hands. I’m sure your far from the worse setter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I get what you mean. Maybe when I get to a higher setting like you I’ll know first hand (pun intended) what you mean and be afraid of it flying out of my hands. I’m sure your far from the worse setter.

The CROM spring is nearly impossible to set at higher levels the orange spring is doable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

The CROM spring is nearly impossible to set at higher levels the orange spring is doable.

If it was easy it wouldn’t be worth doing it anyhow.

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

If it was easy it wouldn’t be worth doing it anyhow.

It would be in my opinion because you still train your crush grip with it.

I know setting is a big part of training grippers I am just not a fan I still love using the Vulcan though.

I am glad my half a*s set works for me.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DevilErik said:

It would be in my opinion because you still train your crush grip with it.

I know setting is a big part of training grippers I am just not a fan I still love using the Vulcan though.

I am glad my half a*s set works for me.

I'd throw the CROM and try it myself, but that spring is a pain to take on and off... Its almost worth buying two Vulcans, but my pockets aren't that deep. 

keep up the good work, I don't compete so I don't  go crazy with the sets either.. I just focusing on closing them.. I recently have tried taking your approach to grippers a little bit. So far, so good.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'd throw the CROM and try it myself, but that spring is a pain to take on and off... Its almost worth buying two Vulcans, but my pockets aren't that deep. 

keep up the good work, I don't compete so I don't  go crazy with the sets either.. I just focusing on closing them.. I recently have tried taking your approach to grippers a little bit. So far, so good.  

The CROM and the orange spring are completely different so it might be good to train both but that is up to you of course.

The orange and the CROM feel like completely different grippers.

Thanks man, you really don't have to I am currently doing 8 reps per week and I am making great progress.

I wouldn't mess with negatives yet if I were you but of course it's up to you.

When I first got my Ivanko I'd do a warming up, a max and then 3 triples with 5 minutes rest between sets.

I just don't want people to get hurt that's all

Edited by DevilErik
Wanted to add something.
  • Like 2

Today's session:

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)

One rep max:

(6,11) BOOOOOM CLOSED BABYYYYYY

I am now 2 settings away from my old strength level.

Negatives:

These are starting to feel too heavy so I am going to ditch them.

They have allowed me to make insane progress but I don't want to get injured so I am probably going back to singles or triples next week.

Recovery:

Golden grip 100 lbs gripper:

3x failure

• Like 5

On 3/25/2022 at 11:57 AM, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)

One rep max:

(6,11) BOOOOOM CLOSED BABYYYYYY

I am now 2 settings away from my old strength level.

Negatives:

These are starting to feel too heavy so I am going to ditch them.

They have allowed me to make insane progress but I don't want to get injured so I am probably going back to singles or triples next week.

Recovery:

3x failure

Nice progress and glad you know when to stop...  If you think its a good idea to give up negatives for a while, listen to your self.... Nothing worse than feeling a huge pop in your hand followed by pain... Hurt my elbow bending a nail like that 2 weeks ago. 

Do you hold on to the Ivanko with the other hand while using it?  I don't, but it could come in handy for getting stronger i think.   Thanks again for recommending it to me a few months ago. I use it for warming up sometimes for real high reps at the end of the workout... But i love that thing.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice progress and glad you know when to stop...  If you think its a good idea to give up negatives for a while, listen to your self.... Nothing worse than feeling a huge pop in your hand followed by pain... Hurt my elbow bending a nail like that 2 weeks ago. 

Do you hold on to the Ivanko with the other hand while using it?  I don't, but it could come in handy for getting stronger i think.   Thanks again for recommending it to me a few months ago. I use it for warming up sometimes for real high reps at the end of the workout... But i love that thing.  

I might give them up forever I am not sure we'll see.

Damn that sucks man I am sorry to hear that.

No I don't that would make it an assisted close.

I think it would come in handy if you were to use it for forearm hypertrophy.

For strength purposes though I personally wouldn't recommend it but in the end it's up to you.

I am glad you like it man.

It sure is an awesome piece of equipment!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I might give them up forever I am not sure we'll see.

Damn that sucks man I am sorry to hear that.

No I don't that would make it an assisted close.

I think it would come in handy if you were to use it for forearm hypertrophy.

For strength purposes though I personally wouldn't recommend it but in the end it's up to you.

I am glad you like it man.

It sure is an awesome piece of equipment!

Thanks.. It could have been worse.. The pain isn't terrible.. just there. Still, my elbow and tricep hurt and part of my lat.   It's all part of the progress. I'm incredibly stubborn and my body gives out before my mind and that's what happens.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

One rep max:

(8,10)

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM EASY CLOSEEEEEEEE

Vulcan V2:

8-7: 5 second hold 

This was way too easy so I moved up a notch to 8-8

8-8: 2 closes

I wasn't even able to close 8-8 fresh I am SO MUCH stronger than before.

Recovery:

3x failure

• Like 4

Measured my handspread today.

Nearly 23 cm (9 inches) wide measured from thumb to pinky

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

Nice, mines only like 8 1/4".... I think been a while since i measured it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Nice, mines only like 8 1/4".... I think been a while since i measured it.

Hand spread can't get wider right? Or can it?

Or do you mean that you can't remember the exact measurement?

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

Hand spread can't get wider right? Or can it?

Maybe a little. But i've been playing guitar for like 15 years..  I feel like if anything would help with the spread.. it would be that.  

• Like 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

Maybe a little. But i've been playing guitar for like 15 years..  I feel like if anything would help with the spread.. it would be that.  

That's awesome!

On 3/30/2022 at 4:19 PM, DevilErik said:

Measured my handspread today.

Nearly 23 cm (9 inches) wide measured from thumb to pinky

Awesome. That is interesting and you are very tall yes? How long are your hands from wrist crease to middle finger tip? 

My left is 9 3/8" wide and my right 9 1/4" wide yet they are not overly long.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Awesome. That is interesting and you are very tall yes? How long are your hands from wrist crease to middle finger tip? 

My left is 9 3/8" wide and my right 9 1/4" wide yet they are not overly long.

I am 193 cm tall or 6'4 and my hands are 22 cm long.

I say my "hands" but I have only measured my right hand because I assumed they'd be equal in length and spread lol.

I usually don't really care about measurements I just thought these were interesting and could maybe tell me something about my potiental.

For example I think I have only measured my arms 3 times in like 5 years lol.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I am 193 cm tall or 6'4 and my hands are 22 cm long.

I say my "hands" but I have only measured my right hand because I assumed they'd be equal in length and spread lol.

I usually don't really care about measurements I just thought these were interesting and could maybe tell me something about my potiental.

For example I think I have only measured my arms 3 times in like 5 years lol.

I find the whole thing facinating tbh. Miny left is 20cm long and right 19.8cm and im 175cm or 5ft 8.89in tall. Not quite 5ft 9in lol. 

If you are right handed id think your left will be a smidge bigger. Its ussually the case witg right handers.

Hand anatomy plays a big part as well, palm to finger ratio, Thickness affects thick bar work, thumb length etc. You could have 2 people with the same size length and width on paper but they could look/be made up very different. All very interesting i think.

Edited by mcalpine1986

20 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

I find the whole thing facinating tbh. Miny left is 20cm long and right 19.8cm and im 175cm or 5ft 8.89in tall. Not quite 5ft 9in lol. 

If you are right handed id think your left will be a smidge bigger. Its ussually the case witg right handers.

Hand anatomy plays a big part as well, palm to finger ratio, Thickness affects thick bar work, thumb length etc. You could have 2 people with the same size length and width on paper but they could look/be made up very different. All very interesting i think.

That is pretty interesting.

I just took some pictures I don't know what the advantages of my hand anatomy are when it comes to grip sport.

20220401_114632.thumb.jpg.0df92a9ac06df09c802d51231e9a86fb.jpg20220401_114659.thumb.jpg.73c9e6a0e5c56a421307b937691446e8.jpg

20220401_114642.jpg

20220401_115614.jpg

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I just took some pictures I don't know what the advantages are of my hand anatomy.

20220401_114632.thumb.jpg.0df92a9ac06df09c802d51231e9a86fb.jpg20220401_114659.thumb.jpg.73c9e6a0e5c56a421307b937691446e8.jpg

20220401_114642.jpg

20220401_115614.jpg

Whoa man your fingers and especially thumbs are very long. You would get very good wrap on axles and other thick bar stuff as well as pinch. Along with your very strong crush strength you could do very well.

If you can do thick bar and pinch that wony affect your back you would do very well. Id think blobs would be perfect for you. They are so light they wont hurt your back but would take your whole hand strength to new levels. With hands and thumbs are big as yours you would do well with blobs. The hard part is finding them. 

Edited by mcalpine1986
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I just took some pictures I don't know what the advantages of my hand anatomy are when it comes to grip sport.

20220401_114642.jpg

20220401_115614.jpg

I never thought i'd tell another man his thumb is huge, but here we are.  🤣  It looks like a 5th finger

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Whoa man your fingers and especially thumbs are very long. You would get very good wrap on axles and other thick bar stuff as well as pinch. Along with your very strong crush strength 

If you can do thick bar and pinch that wony affect your back you would do very well. Id think blobs would be perfect for you. They are so light they wont hurt your back but would take your whole hand strength to new levels. With hands and thumbs are big as yours you would do well with blobs. The hard part is finding them. 

That's awesome!

There are blobs on ebay but they are crazy expensive.

I think I will get the 120mm cube pinch block from godsofgrip once I have my loading pin and plates.

I might be able to build up my lower back with the loading pin the weights in grip sport aren't exactly heavy compared to gym lifts.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I never thought i'd tell another man his thumb is huge, but here we are.  🤣  It looks like a 5th finger

Its massive isnt it lol. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

That's awesome!

There are blobs on ebay but they are crazy expensive.

I think I will get the 120mm cube pinch block from godsofgrip once I have my loading pin and plates.

I might be able to build up my lower back with the loading pin the weights in grip sport aren't exactly heavy compared to gym lifts.

Yes they are exepensive. Other options are the Silarukov blob and david hornes blob top trainer what attaches to a loading pin. 

A wide cube from GOG would be cool. Thats very wide though at 120mm. Would be great fun. Tbh if i was you to start maybe something around the 100mm mark. 

• Like 2