DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

Nice work, man. Would be interested to see what you could do with grippers 150-160 RGC. Average CoC 3 is around 148 RGC, but for certification you could very easily be sent a hard CoC 3 in the 150-155 range. If you could CCS 160 RGC consistently, you could absolutely cert the CoC 3.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2022 at 12:32 PM, DevilErik said:

Protein powder container filled with sand:

Finger extensions 3x failure

The pump was absolutely insane I love this thing for recovery purposes.

I'm really interested in this type of extensor training. Have you tried it with rice also? And what kind of movements do you do with your hand in the sand?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jared P said:

Nice work, man. Would be interested to see what you could do with grippers 150-160 RGC. Average CoC 3 is around 148 RGC, but for certification you could very easily be sent a hard CoC 3 in the 150-155 range. If you could CCS 160 RGC consistently, you could absolutely cert the CoC 3.

I bet he'd give a CoC 3 a run for its money.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jared P said:

I'm really interested in this type of extensor training. Have you tried it with rice also? And what kind of movements do you do with your hand in the sand?

No I haven't haha I went straight to the sand and I must say it's brutal!

I keep digging until the back of my hand is covered in sand and then I open and close my hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared P said:

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Same here.

Yeah I am going to assume that I get the hardest coc 3 there is so I am going to prepare for that.

I want it to be easy so that I am 100% certain that I will be able to close it.

I might end up being sleep deprived on the day of the cert so it should be very easy even under the worst circumstances.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Thanks man I appreciate it!

Same here.

Yeah I am going to assume that I get the hardest coc 3 there is so I am going to prepare for that.

I want it to be easy so that I am 100% certain that I will be able to close it.

I might end up being sleep deprived on the day of the cert so it should be very easy even under the worst circumstances.

Me, someday I will close them...  I keep telling myself I will

You.. realistically you can close a #3 right now. No reason to loose sleep. Keep telling you self you can to close it!

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Me, someday I will close them...  I keep telling myself I will

You.. realistically you can close a #3 right now. No reason to loose sleep. Keep telling you self you can to close it!

That's a good thing that means you probably will end up closing them someday.

I guess I should be able to yeah.

Haha I am not going to lose sleep it is just that I am afraid I might get very nervous the day before the cert and I might end up being sleep deprived on the day itself.

I keep telling myself I am a crush monster and a grip monster in general and so far it has been working.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Grippers+Pinch+Wrists

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up: (1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

One rep max:

(9,11) RGC 160

EASY CLOSEEE YESSSSS YESSS YESSSSS!!!!! 

60mm Pinch block 1 HP

10 kg

20 kg

25 kg PR!

I did 2 attempts with my right hand but I missed them both however I did manage to lock it out with my left hand.

Pinch rows:

5x1 22,50 kg

Wrists:

Plate curl: 10 kg

Reverse plate curl : 10 kg PR!

Front+rear sledge choke

Sledgehammer curl

Pronation hold

Supination hold

Thumbless 60mm rolling handle deadlift: 22.50kg PR!

Recovery:

Golden grip 100 lbs gripper:

3x failure 

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

Today's session:

Pinch+Thickbar

Pinch:

60mm pinch block:

1 HP:

10 kg

25 kg

I attempted 26.25 kg but my block is way too slick I really have to season it because it keeps slipping.

2 HP: This was the very first time I tried 2 HP on this block.

40 kg

This was very easy with 2 hands but I really wanted to give 2 HP a try and I must say I like it a lot more than 1 HP.

I had a lot more friction and it just felt a lot better.

Once I get more plates I am definitely going to focus more on 2 HP I am still going to train 1 HP but probably less frequently than 2 HP.

Thickbar:

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

25 kg

26.25 kg  this was very easy.

Recovery:

100 lbs golden grip gripper:

3x failure

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Pinch+Thickbar

Pinch:

60mm pinch block:

1 HP:

10 kg

25 kg

I attempted 26.25 kg but my block is way too slick I really have to season it because it keeps slipping.

2 HP: This was the very first time I tried 2 HP on this block.

40 kg

This was very easy with 2 hands but I really wanted to give 2 HP a try and I must say I like it a lot more than 1 HP.

I had a lot more friction and it just felt a lot better.

Once I get more plates I am definitely going to focus more on 2 HP I am still going to train 1 HP but probably less frequently than 2 HP.

Thickbar:

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

25 kg

26.25 kg  this was very easy.

Recovery:

100 lbs golden grip gripper:

3x failure

Excellent session. 2HP is my fave kind of pinch, you get more wrist into it. Its more fun i think but important to train both. 

You need more weight for rolling handle, its far too light for you as you will lift maybe double that fresh. Id train it dead last if i were you so you are more fatigued.

• Like 2

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Excellent session. 2HP is my fave kind of pinch, you get more wrist into it. Its more fun i think but important to train both. 

You need more weight for rolling handle, its far too light for you as you will lift maybe double that fresh. Id train it dead last if i were you so you are more fatigued.

Thank you very much!

2HP is awesome!

I will keep training both I just prefer 2 HP.

Yeah you are right I really need more weight.

I only have enough weight for 1 HP right now.

I am going to give that a try it might be better for me right now due to lack of weight.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Thank you very much!

2HP is awesome!

I will keep training both I just prefer 2 HP.

Yeah you are right I really need more weight.

I only have enough weight for 1 HP right now.

I am going to give that a try it might be better for me right now due to lack of weight.

Keep an eye out for cheap plates. You will be lifting 45kg at the very least i reckon on the rolling handle maybe even 50kg. 

2HP is awesome and a better feel than 1hp. Both just great to train and will help build your thumb pad helping grippers 

• Like 1

Just now, mcalpine1986 said:

Keep an eye out for cheap plates. You will be lifting 45kg at the very least i reckon on the rolling handle maybe even 50kg. 

2HP is awesome and a better feel than 1hp. Both just great to train and will help build your thumb pad helping grippers 

Will do. I hope so man I have no idea how strong I am at the moment.

2HP feels so much better than 1HP.

I agree.

I am already noticing some pad growth.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Grippers+Thickbar+Wrists

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

One rep max:

(9,12) RGC 174 LBS

WTF THIS WAS A 14 LB INCREASE AND I SMASHED IT SHUT LIKE IT WAS NOTHING I WAS SHOCKED.

I literally checked 3 times and recounted the spring positions because I thought I had the wrong setting.

I AM STRONGER THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN!

IT MUST BE THE CROCS!

WORLD'S BEST LIFTING SHOES!!!!!

Thickbar:

60mm Rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

I was like F it let's ramp up to 40 kg

30 kg

40 kg

You guys were right this is very easy for me!

Wrists:

60mm rolling handle thumbless wrist curl: 25 kg

Plate wrist curl: 3×1 10 kg I can do triples now!!!!

Plate reverse wrist curl

6 kg Sledgehammer:

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Grippers+Thickbar+Wrists

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

One rep max:

(9,12) RGC 174 LBS

WTF THIS WAS A 14 LB INCREASE AND I SMASHED IT SHUT LIKE IT WAS NOTHING I WAS SHOCKED.

I literally checked 3 times and recounted the spring positions because I thought I had the wrong setting.

I AM STRONGER THAN I HAVE EVER BEEN!

IT MUST BE THE CROCS!

WORLD'S BEST LIFTING SHOES!!!!!

Thickbar:

60mm Rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

I was like F it let's ramp up to 40 kg

30 kg

40 kg

You guys were right this is very easy for me!

Wrists:

60mm rolling handle thumbless wrist curl: 25 kg

Plate wrist curl: 3×1 10 kg I can do triples now!!!!

Plate reverse wrist curl

6 kg Sledgehammer:

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

I rock the crocs too man..... Don't knock the crocs!

• Like 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

I rock the crocs too man..... Don't knock the crocs!

Croc Power!

• Like 1

Today's session:

Grippers+Pinch+Wrists

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9),(1,10)

One rep max: 

(10,12) RGC 180 (highest setting)

I moved it a pretty good distance but man this was tough this felt twice as hard as going from 160 to 174 RGC for some reason despite it only being a 6 LB RGC increase. 

However, I do like a good fight it will go down soon!

Vulcan V2 orange spring :I decided to put these back in.

8-8 3 wide set singles: BOOOOOM GOT ALL 3.

I can't believe I am still able to close this after going up 76 RGC on the Ivanko.(after the 10% reset) 

Pinch:

60mm Pinch block:

10 KG

26.25 kg!!! And I got it with BOTH hands HUGE PR!!!!!

Wrists:

Plate curl: 10 kg

Reverse plate curl: 10 kg

Sledge choke front+rear

Sledgehammer curl

Pronation hold

Supination hold

Rolling handle thumbless deadlift: 25 kg PR!

Rolling handle reverse curl: 20 kg

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket": 

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 6

So I have been thinking about why the highest setting on my Ivanko feels this heavy and it's because for some odd reason I can't exert any force when it's on the highest setting.

At first I thought it was just the increase then I thought it was the lack of sleep but not sleeping enough has never affected my gripper performance in a negative way.

I have had this issue before but I never really worried about it because I wasn't strong enough to close it anyway back then.

I was doing attempts with it at that time so it wasn't a big deal.

Every time I try to squeeze my hand gets stopped for some odd reason I think it's due to the springs being too tight or at least it feels like that.

This is why the jump from 160 RGC to 174 RGC felt super easy compared to this jump from 174 RGC to 180 RGC.

When I said I moved it a "decent" distance it was less than halfway which again confirms the weirdness of it because I could move it halfway with attempts weeks ago at the moment of the 10% weight reset when I was sitting at around 100 LBS RGC.

This only happens with this setting so I have decided to not get frustrated about it and just stop using the Ivanko.

The second I drop back down to the setting I closed recently which is 1 setting below it the problem goes away.

There's only a 6 LB difference between the setting I closed and the highest setting.

It feels like I can get injured very easily trying to push through so it really isn't worth it and I still have my Vulcan V2 so it really isn't a big deal.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DevilErik said:

So I have been thinking about why the highest setting on my Ivanko feels this heavy and it's because for some odd reason I can't exert any force when it's on the highest setting.

At first I though it was just the increase then I thought it was the lack of sleep but not sleeping enough has never affected my gripper performance in a negative way.

I have had this issue before but I never really worried about it because I wasn't strong enough to close it anyway back then.

I was doing attempts with it at that time so it wasn't a big deal.

Every time I try to squeeze my hand gets stopped for some odd reason I think it's due to the springs being too tight or at least it feels like that.

This is why the jump from 160 RGC to 174 RGC felt super easy compared to this jump from 174 RGC to 180 RGC.

When I said I moved it a "decent" distance it was less than halfway which again confirms the weirdness of it because I could move it halfway with attempts weeks ago at the moment of the 10% weight reset when I was sitting at around 100 LBS RGC.

This only happens with this setting so I have decided to not get frustrated about it and just stop using the Ivanko.

The second I drop back down to the setting I closed recently which is 1 setting below it the problem goes away.

There's only a 6 LB difference between the setting I closed and the highest setting.

It feels like I can get injured very easily trying to push through so it really isn't worth it and I still have my Vulcan V2 so it really isn't a big deal.

its because your 25 now man... its now a long slow decline!😜 Just kidding.. That's strange but its not a bad problem to have when you think about it... don't get discouraged. 

You could always get another spring for the Ivanko.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

its because your 25 now man... its now a long slow decline!😜 Just kidding.. That's strange but its not a bad problem to have when you think about it... don't get discouraged. 

You could always get another spring for the Ivanko.

Haha yeah that must be it! I am old now!

I am not discouraged I just don't want to end up injurying myself and I don't know if getting another spring is going to fix the problem.

I just know I am able to close the highest setting so that isn't it.

I am just unable to get my hand in position for some weird reason.

I also don't know where to get another spring.

There was this Russian site that sold them but the site itself was in Russian which made it impossible to order one.

I am just going to focus on the Vulcan for now.

Also I see grippers as a tool there is no emotional attachment so I really don't care about having to quit using this gripper because it is just a tool to improve hand strength.

The same thing goes for other grip stuff really for example I don't care about lifting the actual inch db I can just get a wrist wrench and work my way up to being able to lift it.

Getting the actual Inch DB is a huge waste of money in my opinion.

Edited by DevilErik

Today's session:

Pinch+thickbar

60mm Pinch block:

10 kg

15 kg

27,50 kg PR!!!! (Left hand only)

60mm rolling handle:

20 kg

40 kg

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 2

Quick wrist goal update:

Today I tried some sledgelevering with a 2.5 kg plate added and I was actually able to facelever the 8.5kg so I decided to take off the 2.5kg plate and add a 5kg plate for a total of 11kg.

I only did 1 rep because I am going to train tomorrow but this was very difficult despite holding it very close to the head of the hammer.

My next goal is to do a facelever with the 5kg added for a combined total of 11 kg (24 lbs).

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Quick wrist goal update:

Today I tried some sledgelevering with a 2.5 kg plate added and I was actually able to facelever the 8.5kg so I decided to take off the 2.5kg plate and add a 5kg plate for a total of 11kg.

I only did 1 rep because I am going to train tomorrow but this was very difficult despite holding it very close to the head of the hammer.

My next goal is to do a facelever with the 5kg added for a combined total of 11 kg (24 lbs).

That’s awesome. I think it’s because my arms aren’t that long but my arm drops when I lower it to my nose.  The lighter the sledge the less it lowers, so it’s partiallly strength. Being much taller Does yours at all? 

• Like 1

Just now, Blacksmith513 said:

That’s awesome. I think it’s because my arms aren’t that long but my arm drops when I lower it to my nose.  The lighter the sledge the less it lowers, so it’s partiallly strength. Being much taller Does yours at all? 

Thanks man!

I honestly don't know I have never paid attention to it.

Edited by DevilErik

18 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I just checked it does drop when I lower it to my nose but it's a structural thing in my case I physically can't keep my arm fully extended while lowering it to my nose so my arm drops because my elbow starts bending.

I have more structural issues for example I also can't get under a straight bar because my arms don't bent that way so I can only squat with a safety squat bar.

I can't even do radial deviation with just my hand with my arm fully extended.

I can only do like 3/4 of the range of motion.

Edited by DevilErik