DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

14 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

This means that I was WRONG about the Ivanko having carry over to torsion spring grippers.

Although I tend to agree, it always takes me a few sets to switch between torsion grippers and the SG type gripper.

If I'm switching from torsion to the SG, first I focus all my power to the end of the handle, but this is not the best approach for the SG type grippers. Switching from the SG to torsion is the other way around; I use a lot of unnecessary force on the middle part of the handle and feeling like I'm weak. Only after a few sets I'm like "oh ok got it". 

I'm not saying you should do this or that, just sharing my experience. And I also love adjustables!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, matek said:

Although I tend to agree, it always takes me a few sets to switch between torsion grippers and the SG type gripper.

If I'm switching from torsion to the SG, first I focus all my power to the end of the handle, but this is not the best approach for the SG type grippers. Switching from the SG to torsion is the other way around; I use a lot of unnecessary force on the middle part of the handle and feeling like I'm weak. Only after a few sets I'm like "oh ok got it". 

I'm not saying you should do this or that, just sharing my experience. And I also love adjustables!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

The thing is all of my strength is in my fingers.

What I notice is that people using torsion spring grippers finish off the close with their palm.

My sweep alone is nearly strong enough to close the gripper but I can't close it if that makes sense.

The final part of the range of motion feels like a "palm squeeze" rather than finger flexion.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Thanks for sharing your experience!

The thing is all of my strength is in my fingers.

What I notice is that people using torsion spring grippers finish off the close with their palm.

My sweep alone is nearly strong enough to close the gripper but I can't close it if that makes sense.

The final part of the range of motion feels like a "palm squeeze" rather than finger flexion.

It totally makes sense to me because I do both (although recently I only use my SG type gripper for parallels).

I think it's still mostly about the fingers with torsion grippers, but the thing is that the angle on the Ivanko is just too close to parallel at every stage of the close. Additionally, because of how the springs are positioned (and just how the device is designed) you get used to applying force in different places compared to what is needed for torsion grippers. With torsion grippers, I really have to focus on the bottom to fully close it. If you check how a torsion gripper closes, it has that big gap on the top (obviously), and applying force let's say on the middle part of the handle would be counter-intuitive. But this is the motion the SG teaches you, in general. And this is why I think you would be a monster on a grip dynamometer now.

I don't know if this made sense to you. If I could give you a parallel choked torsion gripper you would be "ahha!". 

Edited by matek
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, matek said:

It totally makes sense to me because I do both (although recently I only use my SG type gripper for parallels).

I think it's still mostly about the fingers with torsion grippers, but the thing is that the angle on the Ivanko is just too close to parallel at every stage of the close. Additionally, because of how the springs are positioned (and just how the device is designed) you get used to applying force in different places compared to what is needed for torsion grippers. With torsion grippers, I really have to focus on the bottom to fully close it. If you check how a torsion gripper closes, it has that big gap on the top (obviously), and applying force let's say on the middle part of the handle would be counter-intuitive. But this is the motion the SG teaches you, in general. And this is why I think you would be a monster on a grip dynamometer now.

I don't know if this made sense to you. If I could give you a parallel choked torsion gripper you would be "ahha!". 

That makes total sense!

That's exactly what happened to me it felt like I was physically unable to close it.

Every time I get past parallel the gripper is positioned in such a way that it is literally impossible to close it from a mechanical standpoint.

The handles literally weren't able to touch I thought it had to do with my strength but now that you have explained it it makes total sense!

Thanks for the explanation.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Grippers+Thickbar+ Wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

300 lbs Golden grip gripper:

1 no set attempt:

I still can't close this I keep missing by like half a cm.

This means that I was WRONG about the Ivanko having carry over to torsion spring grippers.

I have gone up 74 lbs RGC on the Ivanko and I have gained 0 Torsion spring gripper strength in the process of doing so.

I told @mcalpine1986 that it had great carry over but like I said I was WRONG.

This also means that I will not be chasing any CoC certfications.

I will just stick to adjustables because I enjoy using them the most.

Vulcan V2:

3 negatives: 10-11 these felt very comfortable so I guess I can call this a PR!

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Wrists: Sledgehammer+Plate+Fatgripz extreme rolling handle

Finger curl 40 kg 3x3

Plate wrist curl: 10 kg

Reverse plate wrist curl: 10 kg

Fatgripz extreme thumbless wrist curl: 40 kg

Radial deviation

Miller lever

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Recovery:

Vulcan V2:

2-2 

3xfailure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

That's a huge volume for the grip. Have to reconsider my sessions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikhael said:

That's a huge volume for the grip. Have to reconsider my sessions.

I don't think I do that much volume.

I did 4 singles with grippers 17 reps for wrists+circumduction and 4 singles for thickbar in 1 session.

25 reps+circumduction for thickbar,wrists and grippers

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, matek said:

I really want to get a dynamometer but I have no idea which one would be best for my "type" of grip strength.

There are static and dynamic dyno's.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

I really want to get a dynamometer but I have no idea which one would be best for my "type" of grip strength.

There are static and dynamic dyno's.

Probably you would perform a little bit better on dynamic ones, but if you want to get on a list, you want to get the GM 150 (static). https://grippermania.ru/gm150/ranking#m-abs 

But of course, it's from Russia... So who knows if you would get the product to the Netherlands at all. 

Edited by matek

I got a GM around this time last year, Its built absolutely bullet proof, My max score is 125KG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, matek said:

Probably you would perform a little bit better on dynamic ones, but if you want to get on a list, you want to get the GM 150 (static). https://grippermania.ru/gm150/ranking#m-abs 

But of course, it's from Russia... So who knows if you would get the product to the Netherlands at all. 

That one is freaking awesome.

I also want the silarukov wrist wrench Russia has some awesome grip stuff.

• Like 1

Just now, Jermiah Merciconah said:

I got a GM around this time last year, Its built absolutely bullet proof, My max score is 125KG

I remember watching that video of yours.

125kg is a great score.

16 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

That one is freaking awesome.

I also want the silarukov wrist wrench Russia has some awesome grip stuff.

I know man... I really want the "SILARUKOV 14 mm "MONSTER" Adjustable Hand Gripper" which is not a hand gripper but a chest crusher. 

• Like 1

Just now, matek said:

I know man... I really want the "SILARUKOV 14 mm "MONSTER" Adjustable Hand Gripper" which is not a hand gripper but a chest crusher. 

Chest crushers must be great for benders!

48 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Chest crushers must be great for benders!

For one specific part of the bend I think they are good. But really specific. 

I have a chest crusher but I maxed it out really fast. It's still good for hypertrophy with a lot of reps, but not for strength gains. That silarukov "gripper" would have been perfect. 

• Like 2

On 6/3/2022 at 3:11 PM, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Grippers+Thickbar+ Wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

300 lbs Golden grip gripper:

1 no set attempt:

I still can't close this I keep missing by like half a cm.

I have gone up 74 lbs RGC on the Ivanko and I have gained 0 Torsion spring gripper strength in the process of doing so.

I told @mcalpine1986 that it had great carry over but like I said I was WRONG.

This also means that I will not be chasing any CoC certfications.

I will just stick to adjustables because I enjoy using them the most.

Vulcan V2:

3 negatives: 10-11 these felt very comfortable so I guess I can call this a PR!

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Wrists: Sledgehammer+Plate+Fatgripz extreme rolling handle

Finger curl 40 kg 3x3

Fatgripz extreme thumbless wrist curl: 40 kg

Radial deviation

Miller lever

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Recovery:

Vulcan V2:

2-2 

3xfailure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Thanks for letting me know.  I think beginners and people at lower levels of RGC will have some carryover but once you get to your sort of strength level you need specificity.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Thanks for letting me know.  I think beginners and people at lower levels of RGC will have some carryover but once you get to your sort of strength level you need specificity.

You're welcome man I don't want you to waste your time.

I was nearly able to close the 300 lbs non rated gripper without ever training torsion spring grippers so there is definitely some carry over.

I just think the specificity of training with torsion spring grippers will allow you to reach your goals much faster if the goal is certification.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

Today's session:

Grippers+1HP+Wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

Golden grip 300 lbs gripper:

1 attempt:

I moved my fingers down the handle as @mateksuggested but this made it even worse I have no strength whatsoever at that specific angle I was barely able to move the handles.

This was the final test now I am 100% certain about not chasing the CoC certifications.

3 negatives:

11-10 PR!

These still pop open just a tad but it's barely noticeable anymore so I'll take it.

60mm pinch block:

12,50x8

18,75x5

22,50x3

26,25x1

32,50x1

Wrists:

Plate curl: 10 kg

Reverse plate curl: 10 kg

Front sledge choke

Rear sledge choke

Sledge Pronation hold

Sledge Supination hold

Sledgehammer curl

Fatgripz thumbless wrist curl: 40 kg

Sledge reverse curl

Recovery:

Vulcan V2: 2-2

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Today's session:

Grippers+1HP+Wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

Golden grip 300 lbs gripper:

1 attempt:

I moved my fingers down the handle as @mateksuggested but this made it even worse I have no strength whatsoever at that specific angle I was barely able to move the handles.

This was the final test now I am 100% certain about not chasing the CoC certifications.

3 negatives:

11-10 PR!

These still pop open just a tad but it's barely noticeable anymore so I'll take it.

60mm pinch block:

12,50x8

18,75x5

22,50x3

26,25x1

32,50x1

Wrists:

Front sledge choke

Rear sledge choke

Sledge Pronation hold

Sledge Supination hold

Sledgehammer curl

Fatgripz thumbless wrist curl: 40 kg

Sledge reverse curl

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Nice workout, you're getting strong on the pinch block!

Interesting experience with the grippers. Well, moving your fingers down as much as possible (and concentrating on the bottom) is indeed very important for torsion grippers. Btw, what about the Vulcan? Do you close it in the same way as the ISG?

• Like 2

Just now, matek said:

Nice workout, you're getting strong on the pinch block!

Interesting experience with the grippers. Well, moving your fingers down as much as possible (and concentrating on the bottom) is indeed very important for torsion grippers. Btw, what about the Vulcan? Do you close it in the same way as the ISG?

Thanks man!

I don't really do any normal closes with the Vulcan because I can't set the settings I am currently able to close.

I cheat close the Vulcan and do negatives.

I used to do wide sets with it but yeah I just set it a tiny distance and close it explosively I do make sure to split the pinky and stuff but that's basically it.

• Like 1

Today's session:

2HP+Thickbar

60mm Pinch block:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Fatgripz Extreme rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 7

Today's session:

1HP+Thickbar+wrists

60mm pinch block:

12,50x8

18,75x5

22,50x3

26,25x1

33,75x1 BOOOOOOM PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR YEAHHHHHHH BUDDYYY!

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Wrists:

Finger curls: 40 kg 3x3

Plate reverse wrist curl: 10 kg

Fatgripz extreme thumbless wrist curl 37,25 kg PR!

Radial deviation

Miller lever

Ulnar deviation

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 5

Today's session:

Grippers+wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

3 negatives:

11-11 (highest setting)

BOOOOOOOOOOM PRRRRRR!!!!!

These popped open just a tad but it was barely noticeable so I'll take it!

This also means that because of my inability to set grippers that I have now officially conquered the orange spring!!

Wrists:

Front sledge choke

Rear sledge choke

Pronation hold

Supination hold

Sledgehammer curl

Sledgehammer reverse curl

Fatgripz thumbless deadlift: 40 kg

Recovery:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
Typos
  • Like 5

Today's session:

2HP+Thickbar

60mm pinch block:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Fatgripz extreme rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Recovery:

100 lbs golden grip gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 5

Today's session:

1HP+Thickbar+Wrists

60mm Pinch block:

12,50x8

18,75x5

22,50x3

26,25x1

35x0 miss

Nooooooo I did manage to get air under it but unfortunately I wasn't able to lock it out.

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Wrists:

Finger curls 3x3: 40 kg

Fatgripz extreme thumbless wrist curl: 40 kg PR!!

Radial deviation

Ulnar deviation

Miller lever

Pronation

Supination

Circumduction

Recovery:

100 lbs golden grip gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 2

I am dealing with some wrist joint pain at the moment.

My sledgehammer and my 10 kg plate have never caused any issues so I assume it's the wrist curls with the loading pin.

I will no longer be performing wrist curls and wrist extensions with non leverage implements.

The weight of regular wrist curls and extensions is too much for my joints.

My wrists ache and I sometimes get pins and needles which is obviously very bad.

I will take a week off from wrist training and let my wrists heal.

Edited by DevilErik