DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

As some of you guys know I have a skin condition that creates abscesses and I've had to quit my regular resistance training because I would get an abscess like every 3 weeks.

I have had numerous ones and I had to get surgery for 2 of those.

One of which nearly killed me because I was getting symptoms of blood poisoning.

I am currently dealing with another abscess which is extremely painful.

I think my loading pin is the cause of it.

Resistance training creates inflammation in the body and since my lower back,glutes and hamstrings are extremely weak I think I actually got a training effect from the volume which created inflammation and ended up giving me this abscess.

I have never been able to train my lower back,glutes or hamstrings due to an accident I have had when I was younger.

Even something like 40 kg can give me a training effect with enough volume.

With pain in my heart I have decided to quit training thickbar, pinch and wrists because they all have the potiental to give me abscesses.

From now on I will only be training grippers because they don't give me any inflammation whatsoever.

1 minute ago, DevilErik said:

As some of you guys know I have a skin condition that creates abscesses and I've had to quit my regular resistance training because I would get an abscess like every 3 weeks.

One of which nearly killed me because I was getting symptoms of blood poisoning.

Resistance training creates inflammation in the body and since my lower back,glutes and hamstrings are extremely weak I think I actually got a training effect from the volume which created inflammation and ended up giving me this abscess.

I have never been able to train my lower back,glutes or hamstrings due to an accident I have had when I was younger.

With pain in my heart I have decided to quit training thickbar, pinch and wrists because they all have the potiental to give me abscesses.

From now on I will only be training grippers because they don't give me any inflammation whatsoever.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope in the future you can start doing it again somehow.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope in the future you can start doing it again somehow.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

Same here I really miss training my entire body.

Luckily I didn't have a base yet for thickbar and pinch so I won't be losing much strength.

Wrist strength however is a whole different story but it's alright.

My health is number one.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Health is the first priority. It's good that you realized this in time, before causing too much damage. 

I hope you will feel better soon, and looking forward to your gripper training logs!

• Like 2

Just now, DevilErik said:

Thanks man I appreciate it.

Same here I really miss training my entire body.

Luckily I didn't have a base yet for thickbar and pinch so I won't be losing much strength.

Wrist strength however is a whole different story but it's alright.

My health is number one.

Have you looked into CBD? I don't use it, but I do I like a little pot, but I've heard plenty of success stories from people using CBD.  Supposedly it helps with inflammation... I was eerie of anything related to cannabis up until late last year when my grandma started using pot gummies. Her, my mom and ,aunt have a very nasty auto immune disorder called Rheumatoid Arthritis.. That too causes inflammation, destroys the joints and organs and messes with the white blood cells.

My mom and aunt are afraid to try it but my 83 year old grandma loves it and it does help pain.  I gave some pot a go and just a little bit does help with recovery.  

Maybe give bending a try also. 

• Like 1

Just now, matek said:

Health is the first priority. It's good that you realized this in time, before causing too much damage. 

I hope you will feel better soon, and looking forward to your gripper training logs!

True, you sometimes have to take a step back and realise that even doing the things you love isn't worth jeopardizing your health for.

Thanks man I really appreciate it I am going to start learning how to set properly and will be focusing on both torsion spring and extension spring grippers.

• Like 2

True, you sometimes have to take a step back and realise that even doing the things you love isn't worth jeopardizing your health for.

Thanks man I really appreciate it I am going to start learning how to set properly and will be focusing on both torsion spring and extension spring grippers.

Awesome! Good attitude!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Have you looked into CBD? I don't use it, but I do I like a little pot, but I've heard plenty of success stories from people using CBD.  Supposedly it helps with inflammation... I was eerie of anything related to cannabis up until late last year when my grandma started using pot gummies. Her, my mom and ,aunt have a very nasty auto immune disorder called Rheumatoid Arthritis.. That too causes inflammation, destroys the joints and organs and messes with the white blood cells.

My mom and aunt are afraid to try it but my 83 year old grandma loves it and it does help pain.  I gave some pot a go and just a little bit does help with recovery.  

Maybe give bending a try also. 

I used to smoke hash but that only flared up my acne and made my abscesses worse.

I haven't tried CBD but I might look into it.

I have never had anything against weed or hash they aren't really drugs in my opinion.

I mean smoking anything is bad but the substance itself isn't really harmful to your health in my opinion unless you smoke it too often.

Damn man I am sorry to hear that.

Rheumatoid Arthritis sounds terrible.

Older people usually don't like trying things like pot because they have been taught that it's as bad as doing hard drugs which really isn't the case.

I could give bending a try I guess.

Edited by DevilErik

31 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

Take care and all the best going forward!

• Like 3

Just now, Kluv#0 said:

Take care and all the best going forward!

Thanks man I really appreciate it!

The same to you hopefully you won't stop doing your awesome wrist lifts!

• Like 2

The same to you hopefully you won't stop doing your awesome wrist lifts!

You are welcome- it was cool seeing your work your wrists in all angles. I just started lawn bowling so I might be chilling on wrist craziness- other than completing a never before seen/done sledge feat- hope to get done within a month.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kluv#0 said:

You are welcome- it was cool seeing your work your wrists in all angles. I just started lawn bowling so I might be chilling on wrist craziness- other than completing a never before seen/done sledge feat- hope to get done within a month.

Thanks man wrist training sure is awesome.

I just looked up lawn bowling I had never heard of it before it looks fun as hell!

I can't wait to see the feat man!

• Like 1

Really inspiring to see that you are not giving up on training and make the best of it despite the circumstances! 

Good luck on training grippers. I will look forward to the logs:)

• Like 3

Just now, SteinWillems1 said:

Really inspiring to see that you are not giving up on training and make the best of it despite the circumstances! 

Good luck on training grippers. I will look forward to the logs:)

• Like 1

So I was watching videos on how to set and practicing my set while lying down.

I found Ivan cuk's setting technique to be the best for me.

It only took me like 2 minutes to figure it out.

To my suprise I nearly closed my 250 lbs unrated gripper while lying down with my hand above my head.

I took a 5 minute break and decided to try it while standing.

My 250 lbs unrated gripper feels like a joke.

This means that my starting point for torsion spring grippers is stronger than a 2.5 which is freaking awesome in my opinion.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 5

Just now, mikhael said:

Would you link the video? 

I didn't make a video.

Boooooooom I am back!

Today's session:

Grippers

300 LBS gripper:

4  CCS attempts

I got super close on all 4 attempts I honestly believe it's a technique issue rather than a strength issue.

250 lbs gripper:

4 attempts:

The first two attempts felt pretty difficult (these were wide sets) so I decided to switch to no sets for my final 2 attempts to see how far I could move it without a set.

These were SUPER EASY this means that my NO SET is my best "set" LOL.

I really am a special little snowflake.

Recovery:

100 lbs gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, DevilErik said:

Boooooooom I am back!

Today's session:

Grippers

300 LBS gripper:

4  CCS attempts

I got super close on all 4 attempts I honestly believe it's a technique issue rather than a strength issue.

250 lbs gripper:

4 attempts:

The first two attempts felt pretty difficult (these were wide sets) so I decided to switch to no sets for my final 2 attempts to see how far I could move it without a set.

These were SUPER EASY this means that my NO SET is my best "set" LOL.

I really am a special little snowflake.

Recovery:

100 lbs gripper:

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Nice work big man! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Kluv#0 said:

Nice work big man! 

Thanks man I appreciate it!

• Like 2

Hey Erik sorry to hear about your health,

Never give up keep moving forward.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey Erik sorry to hear about your health,

Never give up keep moving forward.

Thanks John I appreciate it.

I won't, life will keep kicking you in the face until you're sick and tired of getting kicked.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I won't, life will keep kicking you in the face until you're sick and tired of getting kicked.

This will no happen, so you have no choice and keep moving forward. 

• Like 1

Just now, mikhael said:

This will no happen, so you have no choice and keep moving forward. 

Exactly.

• Like 1

Today's session: grippers

Ivanko Super Gripper:

Warming up:

(1,3)-(1,5)-(1,7)-(1,8)-(1,9)-(1,10)

(10,12) RGC 180:

3 singles

Vulcan V2 gripper:

11-11

2 negatives

Recovery: