DevilErik's Training Log

DevilErik

12 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

Hey, we are who we are. What really counts is that we do the best we can with what we got.

I yam what i yam and thats all i yam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Blacksmith513 said:

I yam what i yam and thats all i yam.

Amyam!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's all that counts

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DevilErik said:

I am 193 cm tall and my wingspan is 195 cm.

I think so too I have always been a bit lazy when it comes to arm training.

Haha I also think having big forearms is awesome however I'd rather focus on getting crazy wrist strength and I have noticed that heavy singles in a circuit work best for me.

I used to only care about size and thought strength was just a cool "by product" so the speak but ever since I have gotten into grip my whole mindset has changed.

Size and strength obviously go hand in hand when it comes to resistance training but grip is entirely different.

Grip training obviously contributes to forearm size but grip work by itself isn't going to build massive forearms.

I am starting to appreciate strength a lot more and I now see size as a cool by product.

Thanks man will do!

Yes Grip strength if different but for me. Ive always training for both size and strength, my wrist and arm bones are tiny. I started with 6.5" wrists and they barely tape 7" now so ive had to do a lot of work to get the size on the measuring tape. My frame is more suited for bodybuilding than strength training i just prefer to train for strength.

I just love training full stop though, ove the years i have probably tried everything. Ive always had a facination with getting bigger forearms though.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

yeah 16inch forearms, thats massive. My forearms are only about 12inchs but they look like steel cables.

Big forearms are where its at. I'm not talking bodybuilder forearms either (not that i'm knocking them they work their asses off)...  To this day, i've never seen more impressive arms and forearms than my grandpa... He got in many fights because people didnt think he was as strong as he looked... And a bookie was ordered to stab him but years later told him he was too afraid.🤣 I swear thats a true story.

You can pretty always get good read on someone, just by looking at their eyes, forearms and shaking their hand.

It is massive indeed. Im much the same, my wrist tendons are very promenent and although My forearms are not big but big for my size if you know what i mean and very sinewy. 

I love stories like that. Yes to me developed forearm and traps are the muscles that scream power. 

A lot of old timers worked with their hand and had the forearms and grip to show for it. Ive trained in many bodybuilding gyms over the years and seen tonnes of bodybuilders but the most impressive ive seen were actually a cabinet maker. He was about 5ft 10in 200lbs and his forearms must have been about 16" but crazy density, like a Dorian yates type look and as far as im aware he didnt weight train. Hands like shovels as well. Building furniture by hand, hammering and turning screwdrivers all day will build some forearms.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

Yes Grip strength if different but for me. Ive always training for both size and strength, my wrist and arm bones are tiny. I started with 6.5" wrists and they barely tape 7" now so ive had to do a lot of work to get the size on the measuring tape. My frame is more suited for bodybuilding than strength training i just prefer to train for strength.

I just love training full stop though, ove the years i have probably tried everything. Ive always had a facination with getting bigger forearms though.

I honestly wish I could train for strength but my body can't handle it.

I would just add 5/3/1 to an existing hypertrophy routine and I would have the best of both worlds.

Strong but boring seems like an awesome 5/3/1 template.

6.5-7" aren't super small I guess I have heard of people having 6" wrists but I get what you are saying.

Doing what you love is the most important thing you can definitely outwork genetics.

Big forearms are awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcalpine1986 said:

It is massive indeed. Im much the same, my wrist tendons are very promenent and although My forearms are not big but big for my size if you know what i mean and very sinewy. 

I love stories like that. Yes to me developed forearm and traps are the muscles that scream power. 

A lot of old timers worked with their hand and had the forearms and grip to show for it. Ive trained in many bodybuilding gyms over the years and seen tonnes of bodybuilders but the most impressive ive seen were actually a cabinet maker. He was about 5ft 10in 200lbs and his forearms must have been about 16" but crazy density, like a Dorian yates type look and as far as im aware he didnt weight train. Hands like shovels as well. Building furniture by hand, hammering and turning screwdrivers all day will build some forearms.

The best story of my grandpa, was one where this short bodybuilder plumber, who blamed my grandpa, dad and uncle on a chimney not working properly, and then kicked over all their bricks that where drying because they where in his way.

You'd have to of known my gramps to appreciate it but he looked at the plumber who was probably in his 20s and my grandpa in his 60s and said "so you are a body builder huh", he said yup.. "I used to f*** bodybuilders up the *** when  I was younger".  That was his way of saying don't mess with him. There are so many stories, i wish he didn't die when i was only 9.

I also know a blacksmith, thats one of the most jacked people i've met... She's over 6ft... You don't see men built like her.  Huge forearms, legs....arms.. I think she works out a little but more to keep in shape. Thats all from hard work.

• Like 1

Today's session:

Grippers+1HP+Wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

3 negatives:

10-10

60mm Pinch Block:

15x8

22,50x5

26,25x3

30x1

32,50x1

This is INSANE before I put the grip tape on my block my all out max was 27,50 kg I just pulled 32,50 kg for a training max!

I guess friction truly is everything when it comes to pinch lifts.

Wrists: Sledgehammer+Fatgripz extreme+Plate

Plate curl: 10 kg

Reverse plate curl: 10 kg

Front+rear sledge choke

Supination hold

Hammer curl

Pronation hold

Fatgripz extreme thumbless deadlift: 40 kg

Fatgripz extreme reverse curl: 36,25 kg

Recovery:

Vulcan V2: 2-2

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 6

Eric, I meant no disrespect

Just now, John Knowlton said:

What do you mean John?

for the comment from Friday  

Just now, John Knowlton said:

for the comment from Friday  

2 minutes ago, John Knowlton said:

None taken man don't worry.

• Like 1

Thanks

• Like 2

Hey what is the grip tape for? Is it to help with the block slipping out of the hands?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Hey what is the grip tape for? Is it to help with the block slipping out of the hands?

Yeah it's skateboard tape.

It makes sure the feet of skateboarders stay on the skateboard while doing tricks.

My block kept slipping it was simply impossible to hold onto.

I never knew the sandpaper like layer on skateboards was tape I always thought skateboards just came like that.

The tape isn't too gritty so it's very comfortable.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

NICE

• Like 1

Today's session:

2HP+Thickbar

60mm pinch block:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Fatgripz extreme rolling handle:

40 kgx1

Recovery:

Vulcan V2:

2-2

3x failure

Extensor "bucket":

3x failure

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, mikhael said:

What is Vulcan V2 and extensor bucket? 

The Vulcan V2 is an adjustable gripper.

The extensor bucket is a protein powder container filled with sand in which I perform finger extensions.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 2

NICE ONE

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DevilErik said:

The Vulcan V2 is an adjustable gripper.

This I don't know, but the latter I suspected. Thanks for the response. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikhael said:

REDVULCAN.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mikhael said:

Yup, David Horne makes them... Its my favorite gripper...

• Like 1

Today's session:

Grippers+Thickbar+ Wrists

Vulcan V2:

Warming up:

1-1/2-2/3-3/4-4

300 lbs Golden grip gripper:

1 no set attempt:

I still can't close this I keep missing by like half a cm.

This means that I was WRONG about the Ivanko having carry over to torsion spring grippers.

I have gone up 74 lbs RGC on the Ivanko and I have gained 0 Torsion spring gripper strength in the process of doing so.

I told @mcalpine1986 that it had great carry over but like I said I was WRONG.

This also means that I will not be chasing any CoC certfications.

I will just stick to adjustables because I enjoy using them the most.

Vulcan V2:

3 negatives: 10-11 these felt very comfortable so I guess I can call this a PR!

60mm rolling handle:

10 kg

20 kg

30 kg

40 kg

Wrists: Sledgehammer+Plate+Fatgripz extreme rolling handle

Finger curl 40 kg 3x3

Plate wrist curl: 10 kg

Reverse plate wrist curl: 10 kg

Fatgripz extreme thumbless wrist curl: 40 kg

Radial deviation

Miller lever