Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Great job on the bench. Its definitely my weakest exercise. When I tested my max I could only do 145 lol

Hey man, you're stronger than me on squatting now, and you've improved a lot too. Let's keep it going!

• Like 1

Hey man, you're stronger than me on squatting now, and you've improved a lot too. Let's keep it going!

Roger that buddy

5/26-C2W4D1

Press

65x3

75x3

85x9 (CM=110.5)

Grippers

BBSM(117#)x5 reps LH

6/3-C2W5D1

No deload week this cycle. Maxing out in a few movements just to see where I'm at.

Press

65x5

85x1

105x1 (this is my old PR)

110x1

115xF

115x1

117.5x1 (12lb PR)

6/5-C2W5D2

Deadlift

165x4

215x2

235x1

257x2 (PR, and met my summer goal of 250x2)

Manus DL

225 (5lb PR)

230 (Barely locked. 10lb PR. Roughly=265 Axle)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so a brief, overdue writeup of NAGC'14.

My original weight had been 138lbs, and I had to cut a little over 8lbs in order to compete in my class.

I waited until 5 days before the contest to lose any weight, so I could have a higher "functioning" weight than otherwise. I followed my usual protocol, and my timing at shedding weight had improved a lot since last time. I weighed in at 129.75, the class limit was 130.

I was to compete with a 66k competitor, but I considered everybody in the 74k and under to be my true competition.

There were 4 of us in all, representing Texas, Canada, and Michigan. I was the lightest.

Grippers were first. The 5lb increments, and the standardised make (Tetting) and rater (Cannon) were a very awesome touch.

I went in with the expectation to get 125 with both hands. I did just that, and even came within 1/16th of closing the 135 gripper.

Grippers are getting strong for me. I expect to be closing that 135 next year, and would like to get the 140 both hands.

My total (R+L) was 250 here, and I came in second after Michael Hann, who scored 285. The other two competitors were weaker in their left hand closes, and I capitalised on this to set myself in a good place.

Next event: Two Hands Pinch. This is my pet lift, and something I've spent considerable time on. Darrin Shallman is a beast on this event too, and I was expecting to come in third after him and Michael.

This time though, Darrin took a considerable jump after his opener and missed for the rest of his attempts. I beat him by 5lbs, and pulled 170. I narrowly missed 175, which would've been a PR. My pull was exceeded only by Michael, and he had pulled 180. Nonetheless, my lift updated my record in the 59k and set a new record in the 66k, beating Matt Cannon's longstanding lift by 3lbs.

Axle deadlift was the third event.

Because I've been training grip longer than I've been powerlifting, my back has been a limiting factor in the axle deadlift.

In order to change this and improve my lift, I've been focusing extensively on deadlifting for the past months. My plan to peak for Nationals worked perfectly, and the week prior, I pulled a PR of 230lbs (Double overhand) with Manus grips. This roughly translated to 265lbs on Axle according to my go-to formula.

In this event, I pulled 264lbs, and was good for more. This was a 35lb contest PR for me. It was also a double bodyweight axle deadlift, which I'm told fewer than 10 people have accomplished in contest. This lift updated my 59k record, and is the ranked #2 for the 66k class.

In this event, I placed third. Michael won this lift, and Darrin had closely followed him.

The next event was the Pinch Curl.

This was a new event based on plate curls, which is something I am only okay at, and the other 3 of my competitors had heavy Arm-wrestling backgrounds.

I was probably in trouble.

The edge I had over two of them was that I had an exact replica made early on so I could iron out my technique. But Michael had access to this too, and I knew he was taking this event.

I again came in 3rd in this event, beaten by Charles, one of Canada's premiere lightweight Arm-wrestlers, and Michael, who blew the competition away with his ability to strict curl any 35lb plate I present him with.

Now on to the final event: Sledge choke.

This event involves a 14lb sledgehammer gripped as far down the handle as possible, lifted in a steady manner onto an 18-inch tall platform.

I had done this event once before in competition, and was pretty confident in my form and technique.

I placed second in this event, again after Michael Hann. We had trained this together though, so it was a forgone conclusion.

The final placing was as follows for competitors 74k and under: 1. Michael Hann 2. Yori Skutt (Me) 3. Darrin Shallman 4. Charles Chartan

I was very happy to have placed so high, especially out of my weight class. I also totaled Elite in the 59k, with a total 28lbs over the requirement.

10/10 will go again.

Congrats on your finish! How do you cut weight for your comps? I'd be very interested if you would be willing to share

Thanks Matt!

To give you a summary, I eat the least amount of carbs and sodium possible for three days.

I do this while flushing my system by drinking tons of water.

Then for the last two days, I drink very little water and try to eat nothing, maybe a few gummy worms or other sugary snacks if I get too hungry.

Lastly, I spit out a pound if necessary by chewing gum.

If you want to read in more detail, I posted a link to the original article on this log around two months back. I've drawn from experience and changed it a bit to meet the needs of grip, but it's still basically identical.

• Like 1

Thanks, I'm 3 days out, but have a small amount of weight to loose. When I cut water for building shows it was a bit different, and loosing 17.25% of your body weight is pretty incredible so I had to ask! :)

Znosko, I am quite jealous of your "elite 59k" title under your name. I've been chasing MM0 for years for lack of video equipment, and I keep coming up just short of elite in 74kg. Are you going to be available to shoot my MM0 the weekend of July 4th? Since I'm just getting back into heavy training post nationals, I'm not sure if I want to rest up for it that weekend or just do the cert at the end of summer when I move back down there. I'm getting tired of it eluding me though. Could we go buy the axle and 2HP equipment the weekend of the 4th even if I don't try MM0?

Congratulations on your tremendous performance at nationals. It's even more impressive now that I see the actual numbers out there.

Znosko, I am quite jealous of your "elite 59k" title under your name. I've been chasing MM0 for years for lack of video equipment, and I keep coming up just short of elite in 74kg. Are you going to be available to shoot my MM0 the weekend of July 4th? Since I'm just getting back into heavy training post nationals, I'm not sure if I want to rest up for it that weekend or just do the cert at the end of summer when I move back down there. I'm getting tired of it eluding me though. Could we go buy the axle and 2HP equipment the weekend of the 4th even if I don't try MM0?

Congratulations on your tremendous performance at nationals. It's even more impressive now that I see the actual numbers out there.

Thanks Mikey. You should be fine to get your MM0 by summer's end.

I'll be free for at least a field trip to get some supplies, so we can get some new equipment for you one of those days.

I also found that you were much less than 15lbs off your elite total... counting the better lifts you had last year, you were actually only 5 lbs away. Darn.

Recent PRs

195lbs Bench press 6/14

#2.5(123#) Block set close (Both hands) 6/18

He-Man(125#) MMS close (Both hands) 6/18

98lbs Ultra strict curl 6/20

129.1lbs RT (Right handed PR) 6/21

245lbs Deadlift with 60 lbs extra in chains 6/23

259lbs Deadlift two reps 6/23

172lbs Squat 6/27

153lbs Anvil lift (right hand) 6/28

148lbs Anvil lift (left hand) 6/28

Also, I've been lifting my RT loaded to 95lbs every single day for multiple sets of 10s holds.

This is an experiment.

• Like 1

A bit delayed, but great show at Nationals! Congrats on the 66k 2HP number. A well-deserved record. I was happy to have it as long as it held. Grippers are really my game more than pinch. I knew that record would go down soon and I'm glad you got it! Fantastic lift.

Was reading some of your log, I think you can hit a 135 gripper sooner than next year. Do you do any BTR training? I think you mentioned having a 5/8" M?

Hey Matt, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the congratulations.

You are definitely a beast at grippers. You can hang with guys two classes above you there. Incredible.

Did BTR work help you a lot? I'm comparatively strong beyond range because I worked with two GNC200s for a long time.

You remember correctly about the 130# 5/8 BBM. I'm training to close it, it's very thin.

I'm also working toward a 135# HG300, and am about 1/8-1/16 away on both of these grippers.

Hope to get these closed soon. Any tips sir?

I think "negative crushes" on near max grippers helped me a lot. You have to be able to hold the gripper shut or near shut for a few seconds. Near shut is ideal. Because usually the gripper would still be closed if it were not filed or thin handled. To me this gives the benefit of negatives but in the ROM where you need it the most. There is less risk than working with too heavy of a gripper.

Also I really like sets with The heaviest gripper that you can only get 3-5 reps. Stop the set with the last close you know you'll get. (As in, don't go to failure). Keep doing sets until the reps degrade to where you only get two solid reps.

Alternating these two things worked really well for me when advancing through the 140s into the 150s.

• Like 1

Thanks! I've gotta try that. That's some expert advice.

Hopefully I can keep improving and shoot for MM0.

Any future plans of yours to compete again?

6/30-C3W1D2

Deadlift

265x2 -ground out out. Was sore from squatting a few days ago.

Ab Wheel

3x10

Nice deadlift double.

Your deadlifts strength is really soaring man, great work!

Thanks guys! I'm going to ride this out until the gains stall, then add a belt and mixed grip and do it again.

7/2-C3W1D3

Bench

110x5

125x5

140x14 (CM=205)

85x10x3

Pull ups

3x10

Hub

Worked up to 44.5 LH on ironmind hub.

Maxed at 47.5 BH on Sorinex hub.