Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

I was going to post how I generally lift sandbags and hopefully something could be helpful to you, but then quickly realized that those things just have a mind of their own and your form will change with the size of the bag and just however the hell the bag wants to move that day. Although I have a somewhat loose groove when lifting.

Edited by hellswindstaff

1/26: 1AX and Axle DL

Before I strap down and do serious work for AZ, I'm maxing in a few lifts.

1HAX-straddle and conventional

85 both stances, held.

95 both stances easy

105 tried a 90° straddle too. Weight got harder to center.

115 weight is harder to control down.

125 Right did both stances. Left failed both.

130 came off the ground but not far.

Axle

155, 175, 195, 215, 225 failed

Started losing weight for the AZ comp.

I'm trying to do this while ironing out the technical aspects of all lifts.

Here are my specific goals.

Weight

I'm already in the 59k, but I want to go from weighing 125 to being sub 110. 100-105 will be ideal for percentages.

This seems like it will take a lot of discipline. I'm dieting for weight loss before the comp, then losing as much water as possible the week prior.

Already my body feels sharper, and this initial weight loss feels like I'm tempering myself as a blade.

I do miss food sometimes but I'll just pig out after I set my records. :laugh

Grippers

Because I do want to total elite this year in the 59k, I'll still be pushing for more strength and better MMS technique.

I can close a gripper at 121# right now, I'd like to shoot for 125 come comp time. Failing that, I'll hope to not lose any strength.

125% BW will be great to get.

One hand axle

Haven't practiced this lift all too much but I'm not that bad at thickbar. I lifted 125#s with my right last week, and I think my strength in this lift will go up as I prefect it.

Hope 125% of BW will be an easy lift at the comp. I'm looking at 130+#s.

Two Hands Pinch

Seems like I have a good amount of potential in this lift, and I really want to set an untouchable record for percent BW lifted.

This is the entire reason that I decided to cut for this competition... I will hit 150%+.

Right now, my 2HP is 165. Hope to keep this and perhaps even hit the 170 mark in the coming months.

Ideally, I'd cut to 105 and be able to hit 175 because of increased proficiency in the technical aspects.

Sledge

Borrowed Michael's sledge to get some time to learn how this lift works. My only goal here is to not suck too badly.

Well, there we are. I've got less than 2 months and a solid training program for this. We'll see how this goes.

Yori - 170# 2HP is excellent! By the way - one thing out here in AZ, the 2HP is generally a lot dryer, so it may feel different. But sometimes we get some humidity rolling in, and then it's anybodys guess what it's going to feel like. Sometimes when it's humid around here, the 2HP and blobs feel a lot better and they just fly up real easy.

Yori - 170# 2HP is excellent! By the way - one thing out here in AZ, the 2HP is generally a lot dryer, so it may feel different. But sometimes we get some humidity rolling in, and then it's anybodys guess what it's going to feel like. Sometimes when it's humid around here, the 2HP and blobs feel a lot better and they just fly up real easy.

That's a challenge. I won't be used to the arid conditions there, it's always a bit humid in TX when I do pinch.

Eric tells me that Aaron's 2HP device rocks though, so I'm counting on that.

What have you been pinching, Martin?

It will be interesting to watch your 2HP as you cut. The people I know who have cut for competitions have all noticed a hit in 2HP numbers especially. When I cut from 163 down to 145 my 2HP went from 180 down to 170 despite getting stronger in general. I think Eric Milfeld's numbers dropped as well when he cut for the 74kg class.

That's a challenge. I won't be used to the arid conditions there, it's always a bit humid in TX when I do pinch.

Aaron's 2HP has a great texture to it. It is incredibly well seasoned and uniformly seasoned on most (if not all) of the surface. I pulled 200# on it last year. Last year was a bit funny, because it seemed like we had some humidity or something with the chalk, and I actually chose to do a chalk up on my hands and then immediately rub most of it off before quickly doing my pull.

The 2HP I train with is actually borrowed from David Delgado, who borrowed it from Russ Farver. It has seasoned up well at my place, and I always do a light dusting of chalk before grabbing it. I pulled 188# for a 6x4 a few weeks back, but tore up my webbing. So I have had to stick with TTK work till that healed. Going to try 2HP again tomorrow.

It will be interesting to watch your 2HP as you cut. The people I know who have cut for competitions have all noticed a hit in 2HP numbers especially. When I cut from 163 down to 145 my 2HP went from 180 down to 170 despite getting stronger in general. I think Eric Milfeld's numbers dropped as well when he cut for the 74kg class.

Yeah I'm keeping my eyes on this. Though 166 is my max right now, I am working on increasing this quickly as this is a new lift to me.

I'm counting on these beginners gains counteracting my strength loss from losing weight.

In other words, I hope Technique improvements minus strength loss equals zero.

Aaron's 2HP has a great texture to it. It is incredibly well seasoned and uniformly seasoned on most (if not all) of the surface. I pulled 200# on it last year. Last year was a bit funny, because it seemed like we had some humidity or something with the chalk, and I actually chose to do a chalk up on my hands and then immediately rub most of it off before quickly doing my pull.

The 2HP I train with is actually borrowed from David Delgado, who borrowed it from Russ Farver. It has seasoned up well at my place, and I always do a light dusting of chalk before grabbing it. I pulled 188# for a 6x4 a few weeks back, but tore up my webbing. So I have had to stick with TTK work till that healed. Going to try 2HP again tomorrow.

Strong pinching! Let me know what you get tomorrow.

Also is 6x4-6 sets 4 reps, or vice versa? I always have trouble with this.

I'll update later, but a new PR.

3 sets of 10 on bodyweight 2HP.

Whoa!

This will be interesting to follow for the next couple of months.

• Like 1

Awesome PR!

• Like 1

Congrats on the PR!!!!

• Like 1

Also is 6x4-6 sets 4 reps, or vice versa? I always have trouble with this.

6 sets of 4 reps.

Strong pinching! Let me know what you get tomorrow.

I was able to get 193# for five sets of 2, and then 1 and 1/2 reps on my 6th set. I went to 57mm width, but my thumbs started tearing up on the last set regardless. Back to TTK next week.

I like your approach too.

Seems like because 2HP and tears go hand in hand, we find different strategies to deal with it.

AZ dryness killed my pinch I think last year. The year before it was raining during the comp and the gym doors were open so I didn't really notice. There was a misload last year but I think the dryness buggered me more than anything.

AZ dryness killed my pinch I think last year. The year before it was raining during the comp and the gym doors were open so I didn't really notice. There was a misload last year but I think the dryness buggered me more than anything.

It was a bit of a weird day, because Aaron's 2HP normally feels better than it did, and for some reason mine always seems fine regardless of humidity. We'll keep an eye on the weights for you this year. I think everyone was bummed that happened.

It was a bit of a weird day, because Aaron's 2HP normally feels better than it did, and for some reason mine always seems fine regardless of humidity. We'll keep an eye on the weights for you this year. I think everyone was bummed that happened.

You'd expect a Canadian to know kilo's eh? Haha! Not if you're over 35. It sucked but that stuff happens. It was still a good day. Pretty freaking hot though.

2/3: AZ Prep, W1D1

BW: 124.2

Warm up

Sandbag (60k) to left shoulder.

Some 10s holds with RBA gripper

Grippers

#2x2, #2x1

Attempted coin holds with GNC200, but didn't work.

Instead did holds with GNC150

2HP (54mm)

81.5- held 10s

101.5- held 10s

121.5- 3 explosive singles

125x10 (3 reps no regrip)

125x10 (5 reps no regrip)

125x10 (7 reps no regrip)

Wasn't feeling grippers too much, but 2HP went pretty well.

2/6: AZ Prep W1D2

BW: 122.0

PRs: 173lbs Euro! This is 142% of BW.

Had a light AW practice and taught a friend some basic technique.

Skinny, but pretty strong and pretty thick hands. He held my 2HP which weighed 125, when I gave him help off the ground.

When he left, Michael and Garrett came over.

2HP (58mm)

63-held 10sec

83-held 10sec

103-held 10sec

123-2 reps

126-5 reps no reset

126-5 reps no reset

126-5 reps no reset

153- solid but started to tear.

173-New PR! Had to fight for it.

178-No lift

Michael- 188F, 178x1, 183-PR, 188-PR, 193-PR, 196-Air.

Tried the sorinex handle too. Too easy compared to RT.

Lots of PRs today.

• Like 1

2/8: AZ Prep W1D3

BW: 120.8

Ouch. My gf is making losing weight a bit difficult since she started cooking every night.

And since I started my sub 1200 calorie days, I've gotten over $100 in gourmet restaurant gift cards. They have antelope, turtule, and rabbit dishes, which I'd like to try.

One handed Axle cleans- first time trying these

Practiced with 15# bar

35- easy

55- easy

75- getting a bit harder to control

85xFail- here I switched to larger diameter plates instead of 10s, and I had trouble controlling the weight. Actually ended up gouging my wall on my first try. Bar was pulled to height but I couldn't get underneath it. With smaller plates I think I could do this.

Axle lockouts for time

175-10s

195-10s

215-10s

230-10s

230-10s

230-10s

Notes: my pinch is doing very well, but I'd like my gripper strength and axle to get to that level. In the next 5 weeks, I think I'll be consistently block setting my #2.5(123) right handed, and GNC200(121) left handed. Axle wise, I may be good for 140# one handed even at my reduced size.

2/10: AZ Training W2D1

PRs: closed my #2.5 in training last night. On 2HP, hit 9 difficult reps on 131.

BW: 121.8

Sledge warmup.

2HP-58mm

61.5x10sec

81.5x10sec

101.5x10sec

121.5x3

131.5x9 anyhow reps

Called it quits here. Setup was too thick for me tonight so began tearing skin.

Will switch widths every session now.