Climbing The Ladder: Yori's Training Log

Electron

Been slacking off the last week.

Weight was 114.8 on 3/7, but I ate too much at SXSW and was weighing in at 119.2 last night.

Also hadn't been training at all, aside from maxing out on strict curl on EZ bar. Got 85lbs.

Shooting for 100 strict this year.

Write down some other easy to achieve goals for this year, since I aim too high usually.

Here they are:

Bench-200

Squat-200

Deadlift-300

Grippers-130

Pinch-185

Axle-250

I'll start training for these after Arizona.

3/11: Extreme Ratio Training W6D1

PRs: 16sec coin hold on GNC200, and how great my pinch setup felt.

BW: 116.0

Coin Holds

#2(105) 2x12sec-BH

GNC200(121) 16s, 11s-RH

GNC200(Easy) Fail, 9s-LH

#2(105) 28s-RH, 20s-LH

2HP@58mm

Altered setup per Eric's guidelines. Worked great.

60, 60, 80, 80, 100-10s hold on all.

120, 150-2 singles on each, small thumb tear at 150.

171.5-easy. Wasn't able to do much with this weight a free weeks ago. By focusing on a few things and cues, this became easy weight.

After 171.5 was lifted, decided to stop and leave some gas in my tank... Then had the urge to go for a second single, because how awesome would it be if I could do a second rep with this? Felt easy enough the first time.

This was a mistake, ended up treating my thumb a bit more and not making the lift. Live and learn.

Lost the proper frame of mind last week, and sat down and rediscovered it.

Got a good plan to gain a small bit of strength and lose a bunch of weight before comp.

Back in the game.

• Like 1

3/15: Extreme Ratio Training W6D2

Supersetted for 3 sets:

Rows-95x10

MMS-90lbs gripper holds

Coin Holds

#2-13s BH

#2-13s BH

Hard GNC200-7s RH

Easy GNC200-6s LH

#2-10s BH

Abdominal work

Door Frame Pull ups: 20 reps easy

2HP@58mm

Worked up to 152.5, did slow singles for form.

Felt pretty good by the end. Video in this thread:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=41964&hl=

3/17: Extreme Ratio Training W7D1

PR-GNC200 21 second hold (RH), 18 second hold (LH)

BW-115

SUPERSET x3

Axle rows-95x10

Grippers-HG 200

Coin Holds

#2-14s BH

GNC200-21s RH, 18s LH

Relaxing during holds helps.

Axle holds

95-20s, 95-30s, 105-10s (RH)

95-30s, 95-30s, 105-9s (LH)

Sledge

130-matching PR.

A few crunches.

3/19: Extreme Ratio Training W7D2

BW: 115

Pull ups- 3x5

Overcrush- HG200(90#), GNC150(92#), RB130(103#), GNC200(121#)

2HP

Worked competition form with no weight loaded. Felt great, but thumb position was questionable.

A few crunches.

5 lb PR. 100# is my year end goal.

I think you need the cat on there to keep the weights from falling off. :grin:

Excellent work Yori!!!

Thanks Martin! I've been training these hard ever since I realized just how closely connected grip and bicep strength are.

Back against the wall makes things a lot more interesting, too.

3/22: Extreme Ratio Training FINAL SESSION

BW: 112.8 -officially 10% lighter than I was 2 months ago.

Superset

Pull ups-3 sets of 5

Block-#2(105), GNC200(118?), GNC200

2HP

Warm-up 60#, 110#

Attempted to find correct thumb placement using 160#.

Too big of a jump before properly warm. Missed twice.

I know I'm stronger, just didn't show it today.

Ready to kill some records.

AZCG- 3/29/14

After much effort, I weighed in at 107.6lbs. This was perfect, and exactly midway of my estimated "105-110".

I was a bit sleepy, but chugged coffee and juice immediately following weigh ins. I also consumed absolutely everything in my sight. I was dehydrated.

The official judge (Mr. Tommy Jennings) came before 12PM, bearing gifts of fries and burgers. Awesome.

We start the contest off after a good warm up.

Gripper Block Set

The ratings conveniently avoided both me and Eric's goal ranges. We settled for submax efforts but still gave a good squeeze.

Attempts:

116 -GNC200. My warm-up gripper.

117 -BBSM. I'm not good at standard sized handles, but got this one.

118 -Narrow BBGM. This was a crazy gripper with 5/8 SMOOTH handles. Luckily it was just within my comfort zone to close and hold shut for the camera.

No fourth attempt was taken, but I would've been good for my 121# GNC200.

First 110% BW block set in contest. Goal achieved!

Two Hands Pinch

This was the goal I've been living for these past months. I was going to get a 150%+ BW pinch.

Unfortunately, I made a bad decision with a jump in weight, and just wasn't strong enough.

158 -Contest PR. Supposed to be easy weight, but it struggled on the way up. I should've taken this as a hint.

166 -Air, no lift. Something was wrong.

166 -Didn't feel the friction. Couldn't even break this easy weight off the ground.

166 -A last-ditch effort with everything I had. I'm not sure how close I was, but after a slow ascent, the weight dropped from my fingers before touching the bar.

Devastation. I was very upset about this, as this goal was the whole reason I dropped the weight.

I ended up with a painful 147% official lift. So close. If I had been focused more on the condition of my body, I would have tried an attempt at 161.

However, I will live. This won't be a goal that I'll ever train or lose weight specifically for, but it will probably be done in the process as I get stronger.

One Hand Axle

Because I train with a smaller diameter axle than the IM, I was not sure about my exact ability on this lift.

However, I had an estimation.

116 -easily.

123 -I expected this to feel heavy. I was wrong.

130 -This ties my personal record with the smaller axle I own. I realized that the IM is easier to lift than my own.

136 -Pulled well beyond legal height.

In retrospect, I may have been good for a lift of 140. This was a pleasant surprise.

And since my goal for this lift was 125% of my bodyweight, I achieved this by pulling 126% easily.

Sledge Hammer Choke

The final event. I had never picked up a sledge three months prior, but had been training this steadily.

My training max went from 95lbs to 130lbs. My ultimate goal was to match the 74k record of 156lbs, though.

120 -Easily

132 -Felt heavy, and this was what I thought my best effort was going to be.

144 -Eric questioned the legality of my lifts thusfar. He asked me to redo this just in case, so no post-contest complaints could be made by anybody. This sucked, but I complied.

144 -crystal clear form, and I was surprised that my wrist held up for a second max effort single in so little time. No more dispute, and a sweet PR.

156 -You just gotta see this video. This was probably my most triumphant lift.

As I had wished, I pulled much more than 125% BW (actually did 145%) and matched the 74k record.

And the fun had only begun.

We changed venues and did arm wrestling and rope climbing, even a strict curl competition.

I estimate Eric and I both exceeded 50 maximal attempts on just this one day. And we felt great.

This was my best contest performance to date, and all 4 lifts I did were class records.

Now I hope to see what I can do at Nationals this year in this same class, just 20lbs bigger.

TLDR

Block Set- Achieved goal of 110% BW close

2HP- Narrowly missed 150% BW pinch

1 Hand Axle- Easily pulled goal of 125% BW lift

Sledge Choke- 145% of BW. Tied 74k class record despite 50lbs weight difference.

• Like 1

Truly a stellar performance, Yori! Inspirational. Electric.

• Like 1

5/3/1 Overview

I'll be running 5/3/1 for the rest of the year.

Focusing on strength and size, in that order.

Current plan is: 3x1200Cal meals, or 4x900Cal meals daily.

Once this "eat til I explode" plan stops working well, I'll make a more detailed outline of my meals.

Training days are:

Sunday: Press (5/3/1), Grippers, Curl

Monday: Deadlift (Double), Axle, Ab wheel

Wednesday: Bench (5/3/1), Pinch, Row

Thursday: Squat, Grippers, Axle

Looking forward to some big lifts and breaking 300 in DL.

Here I go.

• Like 2

Great log!

Cant wait to see how you progress using 5/3/1. As of now that would be the program I would use after SS.

Keep it up!

Thanks man, this program seems very well constructed and simple.

Hope to make some good progress on it.

Some comments:

1) I'm not sure if there's a faster way to add 70-100lb to your deadlift than the Milfeld plan you're doing. TRUST THE PLAN. The hardest thing for me is to not train, but believe me, if you do that heavy single or double and leave the gym, you will be 5-10lb stronger the next week.

2) You're plan is a step in the right direction; however, your repeated cancellation of Thursday training sessions necessitates that I refer you to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OloLS5kTrVs

I'm not sure who this magneto is, unless you are referring to the X-men magneto, in which case the sentence is still lost on me. You can do other things on deadlift day. I usually kill it on my deadlift day, but you don't want to overdo it with the actual deadlifting. For example, don't do a max double then a 5X5 (or other schemes) just to get some reps in. Once you hit your big lift, that's it for deadlift. Axle is fine.

Really the point is don't feel the need to push for a ton of sets or reps on the deadlift. It's hard to stress how awesome a guaranteed 5lb increase per week is. For example, if your max is 275, you will hit 300 in 5 weeks guaranteed. Just take the time. Don't get caught up in overworking the movement.

Your plan is fine, I just wanted to emphasize that if you hit your double and feel like you need to put some more work in (and you probably will want to), you don't have to and probably shouldn't (a couple lifts at most). You're golden If you hit your big lift and move straight to axle. I must confess that I am just parroting what the deadlift oracle, Eric, told me; therefore, I must defer to him on particulars. I know that his philosophy was 1) he had fun taking a heavy attempt each week trying to lift 5-10lb more than he did the week prior, and 2) you only needed to do the one heavy double or single to make gains. Boiled down: have fun, less is more.

• Like 1

Ok, fair.

I'm starting real low, and the axle work is 50% stuff. Just to keep my fingers from becoming anchovies.

What's your current deadlift?