Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Saturday 4-13-13 at Home

Grippers -

Left - T x 5, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, #2 x 1. (Attempt) SM x 1, (Overcrush) #2 x 1. (Cheat and hold) #2.5 x 1, GHP 6 x 1, #2.5 x 1.

Right - T x 5, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, #2.5 x 1, (Attempt) #3 x 1, (Overcrush) #2.5 x 1, (cheat and hold) #3 x 1, Elite x 1, #3 x 1.

One hand Pinch block (1.5") - 30 x 3, 40 x 3, 50 x 3, 60 x 2.

Twist your wrist device - 5 x 3, 10 x 3, 15 x 3, 20 x 3, 25 x 3.

Weak on the grippers today... I gotta figure out something here.

Felt like changing up my schedule a little, so i did grippers today instead of grip machine, which i will do monday...

tried the one hand pinch block today, just for a change. Either this thing is harder than I remember, or my hands were really fried at this point... or both.

WELL. today has been exciting. Went to see Brooks Kubik and bought some equipment off him, including: a strongman log, a pair of Olympic dumbbell handles a pair of 2 inch diameter dumbbell handles, and a "Holle-it-up" dumbbell.

The guy could not be more generous and kind, seriously.

Now, I couldn't fit the strongman log in my car, so I'll have To go back and pick it up next week. It needs a little tlc, such as sanding and repainting, and maybe malleting the ends a little more straight, but then itll be great. Took the dumbbell handles home, and I'm going to need to get some standard size plates for the Holle and the 2 inchers, as all I have are Olympic size plates. So I'll have to accumulate some. But those will be real fun to play with.

Adorable dog ! And cool to meet up with Brooks !

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun
  • Like 1

Monday 4-15-13 at the YMCA/Home

Bottom Squats - 130 x 5, 170 x 5, 220 x 5, 260 x 3, (5 sets)

1/4 Squats - 335 x 3, 425 x 3, 515 x 3, 605 x 2 (5 sets... but, I miss balanced the load, so I need to do this again...)

Hise Shrugs -230 x 10, 280 x 10, 345 x 10, 390 x 10, 390 x 10.

Pops Grip Machine - (all bands on) Empty x 5, 45 x 5, 70 x 3, 95 x 3, 115 x 2 (8 sets)

Well, today went good, besides miss balancing the load on the 1/4 squats. Not much else to say about it. haha. Can't wait to pick up the strongman log this weekend. That thing is gonna be funnnnn.

Your new training partner looks to have a lot of character!

Haha yeah he is a little character. Smart, incredibly sweet, and something of a theif... First time I did a gripper workout with him around, he stole one of my grippers. Tried to get a picture of him with it hanging out of his mouth, but couldn't do it in time. Haha

Well, lacking fingers how else would you expect him to get a close with it.

That would have been a classic picture, though!

• Like 1

Well, he'll probably do it again, and I'll be prepared to snap the photo. Haha.

Wednesday 4-17-13 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press - 80 x 5, 105 x 3, 130 x 3, 155 x 2, 155 x 4 singles.

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 3, 180 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - (Same as left)

Today was alright. I went in there with my hands and arms feeling real sore and kinda dead... Yesterday I did a lot of fence mending type stuff, which included hacksawing rebar and driving stakes. So i abbreviated today and skipped benching and cleans. Considering my left arm felt crappy, pressing went okay, and I'm really happy that rolling thunder went as well as it did, I didn't expect that. Gotta keep climbing to 200, and then BODYWEIGHT!

Friday 4-19-13 at the YMCA

Deadlift - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 385 x 3, (stopped here, too damn tired today.)

Bottom position bench - 110 x 5, 150 x 5, 190 x 2, 185 x 2, 180 x 2, 180 x 2, 180 x 2. (harder than I remember. haha)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 55 x 3, 62.5 x 2, 62.5 x 2, 62.5 x 1, 62.5 x 1, 60 x 1.

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 55 x 3, 65 x 2 (WOOOO) 65 x 1, 65 x 1, 65 x nope, 62.5 x 1.

Hise Shrugs - 165 x 10, 255 x 10, 345 x 10, 395 x 10, 395 x 10 (done between curls)

Curls - (started with RT handle) 35 x 5, 45 x 5, (switched to dumbbells) 55 x 3/2, 55 x 2/1, 50 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3.

Today I was tired. Real tired. Didn't get to sleep until like midnite, and woke up unexpectedly at 530 because my puppy was sick... So needless to say, I didn't have a lot of energy for the deadlifts, so i just did my warmups and moved on.

Now, today was a little different, I devised a new lifting schedule because the amount of time I have to lift in the summer will be different when I start back on my farm job. Today I benched, thought I'd do some bottom position benching again... and forgot how hard it is! haha. so, i'll need to dial my numbers back on that a bit. If you've never tried bottom position benching, where you start from the bottom in the rack intead of starting from the top like normal, try it. its much harder.

Hubbing went great. 65! next time I'll master this weight and start moving on toward 70.

Going to pick up the strongman log tonight! in accordance with my schedule, I should have it ready to go next friday.

Great progress man, I've gotta try some bottom position benching with a thick bar.

Hope your dogster is alright.

Yeah he's fine, just a little pukey this morning.

Thanks man! Bottom benching is fun, I prefer it actually, but yeah, don't do it expecting to get the same weight you use in regular benching, haha.

Well, right now it's hard for me to tell, since I haven't benched in a long time, and have started to try to get back into it, treating it as a regular lift again...

So lately, I've started back benching and have been using weights that are definitely under what I can handle for working sets (granted, I've never been the best bencher, but still, I know it's under what I can handle) and I figured today that, since I've been going kind of light, I could handle the same weight going from the bottom... And I was wrong. Haha. Ive heard it takes 15% off of what you can handle.... Today if I had done regular, I would have done 190 x 3 for 5 sets, but from the bottom... Well, you can see what happened. Haha

But I know I can at least hit bodyweight this way for a single.

Satuday 4-20-13 at Home

Grippers

Left - T x 5, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3,

(Attempt) SM x 1

(Overcrush for 10 seconds) #2 x 3

Right - T x 5, #1 x 5, #2 x 3,

(Attempt) GM x 1

(Overcrush for 10 seconds) #2.5 x 3

Pops grip machine - (all bands) 45 x 5, 90 x 5, 120 x 3, 130 x 3, 140 x 3, 150 x 3, 160 x 3, 170 x 3, 180 x 3, 190 x 3, 200 x 3.

Today I just did a quick one, I've been spending all day doing research and needed to clear my head a bit, so I did grip. haha. Grippers went alright, I think I need to work more with overcrush/straphold stuff.

Grip machine was interesting today... as part of my new schedule, I'm just going to do it after grippers, and today I thought I'd mess around and just see how much I can do... I only stopped at 200 because I ran out of plates! But what I've learned from this is that, even though I was trying to start low and work into it up to this point, I was way too low and probably have just been wasting time on it... So, I need to start working with heavier weight, and also need to get some more plates to do that with.

Also, anvil lifting and wrist roller were on the menu for today, but I had to cut it short.

No I haven't done that in... A month? I was thinking next time what I might do is choker it, and then do an overcrush with that. I need to get stronger in the last few mms, that's my weak point here.

But the static hold kind of stuff is really where I make progress, so I think That might be a good way to apply it.

When Ollie gets all tired and cuddly, he like to gently chew on my hands and fingers. Which actually kind of works as a massage, so it's good for both of us. Haha

New goals- by end of summer:

80lbs on hub... For reps.

#3 closed and MM0 cert.

(now that I have this Holle dumbbell) 175 on the Holle dumbbell.

Not sure what to say for the RT.... 220?

And read the entire body of work of Kafka. that's not a grip goal, just a Bobby goal. Haha