Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Thanks man. Yeah next time I'm just going to give it a little different approach in the warmups, and the cleans after instead of before... It doesn't seem like it when you're doing it, but those axle cleans really do tax the grip.

I'll get to try out the 2HP setup today. Not sure what I can really expect to do on this...

Saturday 2-9-13 at home

Stationary bike 40 minutes

Grippers

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, (Attempt) SM x 1. #2 x 2, #2 x 2.

(Silver Bullet) (+7.5lbs) #2.5 x 3 holds, 4th attempt.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, SM x 3, GHP6 x almost closed, second attempt. #2.5 x 3, #2.5 x 2.

(Silver Bullet) (+5lbs) Elite x 1 hold. (+2.5lbs) Elite x 1, 2nd attempt (missed the bit), 3rd attempt.

2HP - 90 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 137.5 x 3, 147.5 x 2 (5 sets)

Today was not the best. Hands were feeling tired, I was feeling tired, maybe have a touch of whatever this stuff going around is... but I did what I could. Also, getting to use the 2HP for real for the first time was fun. and I got my first thumb webbing tear! I like the feel of this lift a lot... but I don't know much about it. So, for those keeping score, how are these numbers for a first timer who already spent a lot of grip strength on grippers before this? I just ended up using 147.5 because I ran out of small plates. haha. But actually it felt like a good working weight for me. That thing got slick too! maybe as a result of condensation. I had to do it outside in my freezing garage...

Also, the width of the "Americano" is about 2 1/2" ... So I think thats a little wider than average.

Monday 2-11-13 at the YMCA

Deadlifts - 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 370 x 3, 405 x 2 (8 sets) (this is actually a 5lb increase from last week, I'll explain below)

Hub

Left - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 47.5 x 3, 55 x 2 (6 sets) 55 x 1, 55 x 2.

Right - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x 2 (6 sets) 57.5 x 1, 57.5 x 2 (HOLY CRAP)

Hise Shrugs - 215 x 10, 255 x 10, 305 x 10, 345 x 20.

Dumbbell curls - 35 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x L:5/R:4, 50 x 5, 50 x 5.

Today was excellent, felt great.

So the bar I always use to deadlift and squat with, I always thought it weighed 50lbs. Thats what everybody says. But one of the guys who works at the gym corrected me on it today: it weighs about 47. So I just called it 45lbs. Which means, though the numbers on my deadlift look the same today, they're actually up 5lbs. What I thought was 405 last time was 400. This time it really was 405... rounded down. Same applies to the squats I'll do on friday.

And the Hub lifting! Holy Crap! That is not only a PR for me on either hand for most weight lifted, but I lifted it a buttload of times! Feeling really great about that.

• Like 2

Good hubbing dude!

Thanks man! Next time I'll break the 60lb mark.... Really curious what I could max at. I'll have to try that sometime soonish...

Got a new idea I've been throwing around that I want to work Into my training. Think I'll hit it next deadlift session.

In the interest of getting more time on the axle, I'll start doing high rep shrugs with an altenated grip on the axle, and move hise shrugs to deadlift day. 20 reps sets, even with an alternated grip, oughta tax the hands pretty good...

Especially when the weight gets to be in the range of my regular deadlifts or more.

Edited by Mephistopholes

After hitting a nice axle PR last night w/o having training DO axle deads specifically in 5 months, well I'd say my strategy of using an axle for everything, even if it is mixed grip, works really well. Axle axle axle and small gains will be hac very consistantly.

After hitting a nice axle PR last night w/o having training DO axle deads specifically in 5 months, well I'd say my strategy of using an axle for everything, even if it is mixed grip, works really well. Axle axle axle and small gains will be hac very consistantly.

Yeah I saw that on your thread. Good work dude!

The "all axle all the time" thing is pretty much pu philosophy too. I still do my regular deadlifts with a powerlifting bar, but I use the axle for all my cleans and presses. The cleans definitely work the grip haha. I use the axle for hise shrugs (it doesnt tear up my neck skin) and will switch to using it for squats when the weight gets a bit heavier, jist for ease of loading... The regular shrugs with the axle should be a good addition though, I think. Espcecially given the high rep work, which will make it a static hold sort of thing, which is where I find I really make gains.... So im looking forward to hitting this next Wednesday! I also thought about doing this with the eagle loops... Maybe later on I'll switch over and try it. Haha

Wednesday 2-13-13 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press - 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 170 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle DO Deadlift - 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 275 x 3, 300 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle Cleans - nope, I'm moving too slow at this point...

Axle Shrugs - (alternated grip) 165 x 10, 215 x 10, 255 x 10, 305 x 10, 305 x 10, 305 x 10.

One arm Dumbbell Press - 50 x 5, 60 x 5, 70 x 5, 65 x 5, 65 x 5.

Was feeling good today, so I did a bit extra. Push Presses and Axle Deads went great. Brought my grip in a bit on the deads and it felt pretty comftorable. Went to do cleans after that, but it just wasn't gonna happen. haha. Was moving pretty slow at that point.

So I was excited and just had to do the axle shrugs today. Went alright, but I may need to drop back the weight a little. At the end it was just kind of a heave... Threw in some one arm dumbbell pressing too. May regret that later. haha. Triceps are already feeling sore.

Okay, after zoning the hell out in class for the last 90 minutes, here's something I came up with: deadlift day will have high rep pulling shrugs, but depending on the day of the week, the inplement used will change. On a Monday or Wednesday I'll do it with the eagle loops to build up more finger strength, but if it's on a Friday I'll use the axle for it. Reason being: I really want to build up my static finger strength more, but I wouldn't want to do it the day before a gripper workout because I think it might cut into that, so Fridays I would switch to the axle for it.

Okay, after zoning the hell out in class for the last 90 minutes, here's something I came up with: deadlift day will have high rep pulling shrugs, but depending on the day of the week, the inplement used will change. On a Monday or Wednesday I'll do it with the eagle loops to build up more finger strength, but if it's on a Friday I'll use the axle for it. Reason being: I really want to build up my static finger strength more, but I wouldn't want to do it the day before a gripper workout because I think it might cut into that, so Fridays I would switch to the axle for it.

I strengthened up the door frame (across the top of the door) with some extra nails and I hang from my fingertips - this seems to work wonders. I can now hang from just my index and middle finger from each hand.

Be awesome if I could hang just from my pinkies one day haha.

Ha nice... Don't think that would work on my door frames though, but I used to do pullups off the edge of the deck (actualy Before I ever knew what grip training is haha) and that was kind of the same thing.

Friday 2-15-13 at the YMCA

Bottom-up Squats - 95 x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 5, 225 x 5 (6 sets)

Anvil Horn -

Left - 95 x 3, 110 x 3, 125 x 3, 140 x 2 (8 sets)

Right - Exact same as left.

Pullups - 5, +15 x 5, +30 x 4, +25 x 3 and 2 chinups. (Switch to chins) +25 x 3.

Today was good. Went up 10lbs on the squats again... Don't know if I can keep doing that though. That's a big jump to make. haha. See how I feel about it next week. Anvil went great, even though people kept interrupting me. ugh. That's an odd lift though, because, in the past, my left hand has always been better at it than my right, unlike every other grip lift I do. I'm trying to keep them at the same weight though, since I'm working back into it, but I can definitely feel my left hand has a better hold on it than my right.

Pullups went okay. Didn't feel like doing the eagle loops today (I think I'll just start using them exclusively for shrugs and go back to "normal" pullups. Or not. Who knows. haha) so I just did normal pullups... I used to be alot better at these. haha. But of course, at that time, I was doing sets of 3, not 5... and I was 20lbs lighter... so maybe I'm not really doing any worse. haha. I think thought that I will cut the weight down a bit and work back up, just to get them more solid.

I've got this crack in my skin on my thumb around the nail, from cold weather I guess. This thing is really tender. Hopefully it doesn't impede on my pinching today.

I've got this crack in my skin on my thumb around the nail, from cold weather I guess. This thing is really tender. Hopefully it doesn't impede on my pinching today.

I hear that. I have had that on both thumbs recently and it bleeds like mad when I do my lifts etc. It healed up pretty quickly once I mixed some arnica in with some "germolene new skin".

Well it's not as sensitive as it was this morning, so we'll see. I'll start grip in a little while here.

Saturday 2-16-13 at Home

Stationary Bike - 45 minutes

Indian Clubs - 5 minutes

Grippers

Left -

S x 10, T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, (Attempt) SM x 2 close attempts. #2 x 2, #2 x 2. (attmempt) SM x same.

(Silver Bullet) (+10lbs) #2.5 x nope. (+7.5lbs) #2.5 x 1, (+5lbs) #2.5 x nope.

(Tried just closing #2 after this, no go.)

Right - S x10, T x 10, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, (attempt) GHP6 x close attempt, but came up short. #3 x also close attempt. #2.5 x 3, #2.5 x 3, (attmempt) GHP6 x a little closer, but still not all the way...

(Silver Bullet) (+2.5lbs) Elite x 2 holds, 3rd attempt.

(tried closing #2.5 after this, no go.)

2HP - 105 x 3, 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 2 (8 sets)

Twist Your Wrist Device - 20lbs x 10. Also tore deck of cards after this... not too well though. haha. Need better Technique, I think...

Today was a mixed bag. 2HP went well. I'm just going to make 2.5lb increases on this. Grippers however, not so hot. Looking back at it now, it wasn't terrible, I guess, but It definitely wasn't as good as I would have hoped. second week in a row I can't close that GHP6, and the holds didn't go so well either. Of course, I did have a big week for grip, and hit it pretty good yesterday, so I have to factor that in... Still, next week I think I'm going to lighten up a little on the grippers and work back up, go lighter on the holds... Lately I've been oggling grip machines online, and today just makes me want one more. haha. To make it even more progressive and more like a regular lift.

Monday 2-18-13

Axle Military Press - 100 x 5, 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 2, 160 x 2, 160 x 2 singles. 155 x 4 singles = (8 sets total)

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 155 x 3, 170 x 2 (8 sets)

Right - 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 3, 175 x 2, 175 x 2 175 x 1, 170 x 2 (5 sets) = (8 sets total)

Eagle Loop Shrugs - 135 x 10, 165 x 10, 215 x 10, 255 x 10, 255 x 10.

Today... I was running on fumes, I guess. Or at least I felt like it. During my press warmups, I thought it felt kinda heavy... Should've listened to my body more. It wasn't terrible I guess, but wasn't what I wanted. Don't know if its smart to do 160 again next time, or drop back to 155 and work back up... Thinking it might have been a result of doing some extra pressing last wednesday with the dumbbells. I don't know for sure, but that's the only thing I've done different recently, and with the volume I'm doing already, it takes some time to recover, so it makes sense to me that any extra work just impede on that... So no more "extra" stuff for awhile. haha.

Rolling Thunder was also an "ugh" kind of thing today. Wanted to do 175 right and 170 left, but it just wasn't going so well with the right hand, so I dropped it down to 170 also. I think I'll work with them at the same weight for awhile, lately they're really starting to feel about equal on this lift. I think it's from the axle work. Actually, If I can get all the grip stuff at the same level on both hands, that would be kind of cool. With this I could see that being a possibility. Same for Anvil Horn. The hub though, I don't know, but they're pretty close as it is.

Didn't want to do the Eagle loop shrugs today, actually. I wanted to do Hise shrugs today, and the eagle loop shrugs Wednesday, but somebody was in the Rack, so that's how it worked out. haha.

I'm also cosidering Switching the days I do the Anvil and the Rolling Thunder, I don't know. I'll be working back up on it soon though.

Edited by Mephistopholes

Okay, so now that I've cooled off a bit, today's pressing wasnt terrible. It just wasnt as much as I had hoped for. Doing that much with 160 is probably the most I've done with that weight, and it was a real fight to get though it, I gave it all I had, which is why when I dropped down in weight all I could do were singles.

I guess I'm just too hard on mysel sometimes.

Still don't know how I'm going to approach it next time. Probably still will drop back to 155 to get all the scheduled reps.

Wednesday 2-20-13 at the YMCA

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 370 x 3, 410 x 2 (4 sets, that's all I had today.)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x 2 (3 sets) 57.5 x 5 singles. (8 sets total)

Right - 35 x 3, 35 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x 2 (4 sets) 60 x 1, 60 x 2, 60 x 1, 60 x 1 (8 sets total. HOLY CRAP!)

Hise Shrugs - 215 x 10, 260 x 10, 310 x 10, 350 x 10, 350 x 10.

Dumbbell Curls - 35 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 5, 55 x L2/R1, finished set to 5 with 50lbs, 50 x 5.

Today was a good one. I couldn't get through 8 sets of deadlifts, but I got through 4, and I'm not disappointed with it. I got in there today feeling that it was going to be a tough fight, and I fought it all the way. I did all I could today. Next time I'll do more.

Hub went like crazy today! FINALLY broke the 60lb mark! I was super excited about this. Didn't get all the scheduled reps, but I still got a bunch. Next time I'll use the same weight and get all of them, both hands. Today I was definitely feeling it in my fingers though, I think as a result of the Eagle Loop shrugs on monday. But still, I did well.

Friday 2-22-13 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press - 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 175 x 2, 175 x 2, 175 x 1, 175 x 2, 175 x 1, 175 x attempt, 175 x attempt. (5 good sets)

Axle DO Deadlift - 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 280 x 3, 305 x 2, 305 x 2, 305 x 1 305 x 2, 305 x 2, 305 x 1, 305 x 1, 305 x 1 (8 sets total)

Pullups - 5, +10 x 5, +20 x 3 (5 sets)

Today was alright. I knew monday that this whole week would be a fight, and it was. Just one of those weeks. The Third set of push presses was a real growler. Couldn't get through 8 sets, but I gave it all I had, and made a couple of cleans there at the end, but couldn't make the press.

The cleans definitely taxed my grip, but the DO deadlifts still went alright. Got through 8 sets, just not all 2 reps each time.

Threw in some pullups at the end. Gotta work back up on these.