Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

So I'm mid-workout right now, using the grippers.... This GHP 6... I think I saw someone else on the board a while ago say "Sweet Jesus this thing is sexy" and they were right. Feels great in the hand, slightly stiff at the start (which I like) and a good wide spread (which I also like, fits in my hands just right). Not to mention that it just flat out looks awesome.

Saturday 2-2-13 at home

Grippers

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, (attempt) SM x very close!, #2 x 2, #2 x 3, #2 x 2.

(Silver Bullet +5lbs) #2.5 x 2 holds, GHP6 x attempt, #2.5 x 1, 4th attempt, SM x 1.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, SM x 3, GHP x 3 singles, 4th very close attempt.

(Silver Bullet +5lbs) Elite x 1, 2nd attempt with air. #3 x 3 holds, 4th attempt with air.

2 Hand Pinch with York 45s x 10, 10, 10.

(back to back)

28lb Blob x 10 lifts, each hand

Twist Your Wrist device - 20 x 10.

Bicycle Pinochile deck - (48 cards) done, a little slow... but hey, I was tired at this point.

Today was a good one. Got some new grippers from Cannon, a 137 rated GHP6, and a 163 rated Tetting Elite. Was able to close the GHP6 right out of the package with my right hand, but it was tough. Definitely a good "bridge gripper." and used the Elite for holds at first.... Funny how when I get done with the holds, I went back and just attempted to do the #2.5 with my right hand. No go. haha. the holds wear my hands out, which is great. Next week I should have the loading pin for the 2HP, and then I can really start testing my strength on that. Today I was just pinching the plates to keep the "feel" for it.

Getting ever closer to the #3!

• Like 1

Monday 2-4-13 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press - 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle Cleans - 155 x 3 (5 sets)

Axle DO deadlifts - 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 275 x 3, 300 x 2, 300 x 2, 300 x 2, 300 x 1 1/2, 300 x 1, 300 x 1, 300 x 1.

Dumbbell curls - 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 5, 50 x 5, 50 x 5.

Today went well. Didn't add any weight on the Push Press because its been a couple weeks since I last did that. Got through them all, so next time I'll do 170. Axle Deadlifts went alright, but the cleans I did before hand definitely cut into my grip strength. It had been awhile since I last did these, so I cut my weight back a little. Glad I did. Threw in some curls at the end, I meant to do those last friday but didn't have time.

Monday 2-4-13 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press - 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle Cleans - 155 x 3 (5 sets)

Axle DO deadlifts - 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 275 x 3, 300 x 2, 300 x 2, 300 x 2, 300 x 1 1/2, 300 x 1, 300 x 1, 300 x 1.

Dumbbell curls - 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 5, 50 x 5, 50 x 5.

Today went well. Didn't add any weight on the Push Press because its been a couple weeks since I last did that. Got through them all, so next time I'll do 170. Axle Deadlifts went alright, but the cleans I did before hand definitely cut into my grip strength. It had been awhile since I last did these, so I cut my weight back a little. Glad I did. Threw in some curls at the end, I meant to do those last friday but didn't have time.

Curls get the girls o_O

• Like 1

Hahaha

Well it ain't working for me.

No time for girls when grip training needs to be done...

... Don't tell my girlfriend, please. ;)

Hahaha

Haha yes.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Hahaha

Haha yes.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Benders don't need girls...

Wait, wait, that sounded wrong - I meant steel benders o_O

Haha

Hey, steel bending plays. Last year I did a strongman show at a local street market... If I didnt already have a girlfriend at the time, it wouldn't have been to hard to get one.

• Like 1

I can allllmost get it to parallel. Haha. Wonder how I'd do if I actually warmed up and attempted it... To parallel? Haha

When the weights I use with the clean for reps get to be maybe 10lbs over the weight I'm using in the push press, I'll drop back to just doing it on military press day. Right now I just have it in my schedule twice to get the weight up... May replace it with one arm dumbbell presses after that.

I can allllmost get it to parallel. Haha. Wonder how I'd do if I actually warmed up and attempted it... To parallel? Haha

Ain't nothing but a peanut! You will get it eventually

• Like 1

Ain't nothing but a peanut! You will get it eventually

Haha thanks man.

Gotta get that #3 first! Shouldn't be long :)

Wednesday 2-6-13 at the YMCA

Bottom-up Squats - 100 x 5, 140 x 5, 180 x 5, 220 x 5 (6 sets)

Anvil Horn -

Left - 90 x 3, 105 x 3, 120 x 3, 135 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - 90 x 3, 105 x 3, 120 x 3, 135 x 2 (5 sets)

Eagle loop pullups - 5, +12.5 x 5, +25 x 5, +25 x 5. +25 x 5.

2HP with Dumbbells - 60 x 5, 70 x 5, 80 x 3, 90 x 2, 100 x got air!

Today was a good one. Haven't squated in two weeks, so I didn't add any weight this time. 10lbs up next time!

Still working back up on the Anvil Horn. 135 is not really heavy for me, I'm just getting used to the feel of the implement again. I'll add 5 pounds everytime until it gets to feeling heavy... also may do 8 x 2 with the grip lifts. I seem to have the time...

Same with Eagle Loop pullups, haven't done them in a few weeks, so just easing back into it.

Messed around doing 2HPs with the dumbbells at the gym. Got the Idea from Cannon's log... grabbed one head with each hand, and almost got the 100lber.... Wonder How I'd do if I was really trying it....

Taught a couple of guys how to do the military press today with good form, and some better lifting technique to ensure they're getting the most out of the lift. The way they were doing it a) they were pushing the weight forward to start and b) they were going to wreck their backs. Now if only I could convince them to do cleans and then press, instead of doing it off the rack...

The same guys had been asking me if I use grippers and I'd told them "Yes, but not like the ones you're used to." so I brought in my #2 today to show them... Many tried, but not one could get it to parallel. Haha

• Like 1

I am trying to hit my military press hard lately and I might need some pointers. I think my form is pretty decent in the lift but I get all OCD over my hand positioning haha. What is better for ultimate upper body mass? (such a noob style question!)... I currently put my hands slightly wider than shoulder width.

I have a low ceiling in my shed of doom and have been doing Z Presses (sitting on my butt with my legs straight out in front of me) - it really beats up my upper body because I can't use any momentum. I am currently not at a weight which will damage my spine in this position, but when I get my weight up a bit then I might have to switch to outdoor, standing presses.

The only downside to the Z Presses are when you have finished your set and have to put the weight down - it's a bit awkward but I think it's burning out my core :D

Haha well, yeah I'd say grip just outside shoulder width... It really depends on what feels most "natural" and stable for you, I think. I used to just grab it at the rings and press, but I found when I brought my grip in just a little bit, it was much smoother and stable in the press, which is just outside shoulder width for me.

And yeah dude, take it outside and stand for the press. It'll work your core plenty, standing up under the weight like that. Haha. The thing it to make sure your legs are locked in (the guys today were bet a little at the knees, causing them to bow backward) and push your chest up without arching your back to create a kind of "shelf" for the bar to rest on. Then look slightly up and forward, that way the bar will have a straight upward path, instead of going forward and up, which is what screws up a lot of people in the press. The straighter the path, the better the Leverage, the more weight can be handled.

To be clear, a little bend back at the shoulders is natural, but bending lower in the back is a bad idea. It's a military press, not a standing incline press. Haha

• Like 1

Haha well, yeah I'd say grip just outside shoulder width... It really depends on what feels most "natural" and stable for you, I think. I used to just grab it at the rings and press, but I found when I brought my grip in just a little bit, it was much smoother and stable in the press, which is just outside shoulder width for me.

And yeah dude, take it outside and stand for the press. It'll work your core plenty, standing up under the weight like that. Haha. The thing it to make sure your legs are locked in (the guys today were bet a little at the knees, causing them to bow backward) and push your chest up without arching your back to create a kind of "shelf" for the bar to rest on. Then look slightly up and forward, that way the bar will have a straight upward path, instead of going forward and up, which is what screws up a lot of people in the press. The straighter the path, the better the Leverage, the more weight can be handled.

To be clear, a little bend back at the shoulders is natural, but bending lower in the back is a bad idea. It's a military press, not a standing incline press. Haha

Thanks buddy, I may check form against your pointers with an unloaded bar for breakfast lol.

Happy to help. I read somewhere that a good way to dial in your form and find what positioning works best for you is to warm up, then pick a weight that Is 15% or so under your best single, and to press that weight for 15 or 20 singles, messing with your form a little each time until you find specifically what feels best for you, and then just hammer that in.

My method has been more "trial by fire" though. Haha

Mmmm presses for breakfast. Haha

• Like 1

Got my new loading pin from the machinist today! Saved a bunch on it too. Its hard to get excited about a loading pin, but look at this thing... :)

Also, in addition to just regular use with the rolling thunder and what not, now I can use it for my "Americano" 2HP setup. Oh yeah. gonna hit it hard this weekend.

New loading pin!

The "Americano"

Need to get some smaller plates though to load the Americano with. The 25s don't leave a lot of room for my long fingers.
Edited by Mephistopholes
  • Like 2

Friday 2-8-13 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press - 95 x 5, 115 x 3, 135 x 3, 155 x 2 (8 sets)

Axle Cleans - 160 x 3, 160 x 3, 160 x 3.

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 125 x 3, 140 x 3, 155 x 3, 165 x 3, 177.5 x 2. 177.5 x nope. 175 x nope.

Right - 125 x 3, 140 x 3, 155 x 3, 170 x 3, 182.5 x 1. 182.5 x nope. 180 x nope....

Today was a mixed bag. Pressing went well. Especially considering my legs were real sore and stiff from Wednesday's squat workout. Those last couple sets were a fight, but I got it. Keeping my legs locked and stable was tough...

Rolling Thunder, however, went like absolute crap today. I don't know what happened. Maybe it was from all the axle cleans, maybe I hit it a little too hard wednesday, maybe both, I don't know. Next time I'll do things a little different and hopefully it'll go better. Frustrating though.