Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Saturday 2-23-13 at Home

Indian Club Warmup - 5mins

Grippers

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, #2 x 2. (attempt) SM x 1.

(Choker, set at about 13mm) #2.5 x nope. SM x 5 singles, held at close.

(Attmempt) SM x 1.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, #2.5 x 3. (Attempt) GHP6 x 1.

(Choker, set at about 13mm) #3 x 6 singles, held at close.

2HP - 97.5 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 137.5 x 3, 152.5 x 2 (8 sets)

Twist Your Wrist device - 22.5 x 10.

Today felt great. I know that closing a #3 from a limited range on a choker isn't a huge feat, but for me it was very exciting. I've never made the handles touch on my #3! That in itself was very encouraging. The first time I did it, I made sure to grind the handles a bit; I was mad and its been a hard week, so I took it out on my grippers :) Next week I'll open it up a little bit and do it again... once I get it a bit past parallel, I figure I should be able to close it all the way. When I do heavy attempts on it, I can bring it down to around 8 mms from all the way open. That's pretty much the same for both hands, in regards to their respective goal grippers... so once I get this inner range of the gripper mastered, a full close shouldn't be far off at all.

2HP went well. I think I'm only going to add 2.5lbs on this at a time, partly because it comes at the end of the grip week for me, so I have to take it a little easier on my hands, and partly because this way, even though progress will be a bit slower, I think it will remain pretty steady.

• Like 1

Closing the #3 for the first time is a big deal and most importantly it will give you confidence that this gripper can be closed! Now the ghp6 will close easily.

• Like 1

Monday 2-25-13 at the YMCA

Bottom-up Squats- 105 x 5, 145 x 5, 195 x 5, 235 x 5 (6 sets)

Anvil Horn

Left 97.5 x 3, 112.5 x 3, 127.5 x 3, 142.5 x 2 (8 sets)

Right - Exact same

Pullups - 5, +10 x 5, +22.5 x 3 (5 sets)

Eagle Loop Shrugs - 135 x 10, 170 x 10, 220 x 10, 260 x 10.

Today went well. That 10lb jump on the squats every session is a killer. May have to just make it 5lb increases... Was thinking I would do cleans today, but yeah, no way in Hell that was happeneing after the squats. haha. Did pullups instead, which are getting better. Gotta work back up on them. I'm thinking my best route is probably just keep it to low rep sets and add 2.5lbs at a time.

Anvil horn went well... nothing too remarkable there though. Meant to do an extra (lower) warmup set with the Shrugs but forgot today. My plan with those is to do 5 increasing sets of 10, and really work into it slowly so as to protect my fingers.

Last night I had a friend over to show him some grip lifts (He's thinking about coming to the Akron Comp with me in April). Guy has never trained grip, but I know he has strong hands anyway. He's lost a bunch of weight though from dieting, so I don't think he was feeling quite as strong as he would otherwise have been. Still, he did alright. 2HP, hub, Rolling thunder, and Anvil. It was fun, though I wasn't "really" lifting, I just wanted to show him some stuff.

• Like 1

Wow, just realized my 2HP setup, at 2.5 inch width = 63mm. So I'm working it pretty wide. Haha

Wednesday 2-27-13 at the YMCA

Axle Military Press - 100 x 5, 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 160 x 2, 160 x 2, 160 x 1, 160 x 2 (!), 160 x 4 singles. (8 sets total, big improvement from last week).

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 120 x 3, 140 x 3, 157.5 x 3, 172.5 x 2 (8 sets)

Right - (Same as left hand)

Axle High Pulls - 165 x 3, 165 x 3, 175 x 3 (5 sets)

Today felt great, huge improvement from last week. Sure, it was tough, but I fought it with everything I had. My 4th set of presses I managed to hit 2 reps (after struggling at a second rep attempt in my 3rd set), and after that was able to finish out with singles. I didn't get all the planned reps, but I did get all of my planned sets, so that was much better than last week's military press session. Next time, I'll do even better.

Rolling Thunder went well, just gradually working back up in weight on it. Feeling solid everytime though.

Tried doing axle high pulls today, instead of cleans (just didn't think I could muster up the speed for the cleans) and they went pretty well for never having done them before. I'll start working up in weight on them...

Doing good man! 'Grats on the choked #3 closes!

Thanks man! Looking forward to opening up the choker a little more this weekend.

Just placed my order for a Sorinex Pop's Gripper! This is gonna be sweeeeeet.

Good luck with your training on it!

• Like 1

Just placed my order for a Sorinex Pop's Gripper! This is gonna be sweeeeeet.

Good luck with your training on it!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about this. Edited by Mephistopholes

Friday 3-1-13 at the YMCA

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 370 x 3, 410 x 2 (8 sets)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x 2 (8 sets)

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x 2 (8 sets WOOOOOO)

Pullups - 5 (hands were raw at this point, so this wasn't going to happen today)

Hise Shrugs - 215 x 10, 265 x 10, 315 x 10, 355 x 20.

Today went great, especially considering I was tired from being up too late last night doing... things...

Anway, plowed through all my deadlifts and felt good, and then came the hub, and I mastered that weight today. Got all my scheduled reps. Felt great about it when I was done, like Russell Crowe in "The Gladiator." I look forward to dominating 65lbs on this thing. Still really curious what my max is, but I've learned from the past that testing my max in training doesn't really help me a whole lot. When I know my "limit" it starts to have psychological effect on me, so for now I'm going to stick with the volume and the 8x2 work.

After that, my hands were raw and tender. Tried to do some pullups, but my hands were just too sensitive at this point. Did some Hise Shrugs and called it a day... Now I need lunch and a nap, cause that pretty much took all the energy I have today. haha.

• Like 1

Nice work on the hub dude. I have been looking at the Pops Gripper also. Seems like a great price for a well made piece of equipment. I have actually never used a plate loaded grip machine in training before. I was thinking it may help me get more consistent with 180+ RGC grippers. I like the crush booster option.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

Nice work on the hub dude. I have been looking at the Pops Gripper also. Seems like a great price for a well made piece of equipment. I have actually never used a plate loaded grip machine in training before. I was thinking it may help me get more consistent with 180+ RGC grippers. I like the crush booster option.

Training on the Pop's Gripper is the best option you could invest in for grip machines. Worth investing in big time, plus it's built like a tank! Very great machine and has improved my crushing strength already.

• Like 1

Friday 3-1-13 at the YMCA

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 370 x 3, 410 x 2 (8 sets)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 42.5 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x 2 (8 sets)

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x 2 (8 sets WOOOOOO)

Pullups - 5 (hands were raw at this point, so this wasn't going to happen today)

Hise Shrugs - 215 x 10, 265 x 10, 315 x 10, 355 x 20.

Today went great, especially considering I was tired from being up too late last night doing... things...

Anway, plowed through all my deadlifts and felt good, and then came the hub, and I mastered that weight today. Got all my scheduled reps. Felt great about it when I was done, like Russell Crowe in "The Gladiator." I look forward to dominating 65lbs on this thing. Still really curious what my max is, but I've learned from the past that testing my max in training doesn't really help me a whole lot. When I know my "limit" it starts to have psychological effect on me, so for now I'm going to stick with the volume and the 8x2 work.

After that, my hands were raw and tender. Tried to do some pullups, but my hands were just too sensitive at this point. Did some Hise Shrugs and called it a day... Now I need lunch and a nap, cause that pretty much took all the energy I have today. haha.

Great job on the Hub, getting 60+ lbs on that sucker is where things really gets interesting.

Again, 1st one to 100 lbs wins!

• Like 1

Thanks man!

Yeah I'm definitely excited about the grip machine. I'm taking advantage of the 10% discount while it lasts haha. I've never used one either, but I really think it will help me boost my crushing strength game. Grippers have always been my weak-link, I think mainly because they have to be treated so differently than real lifts. I think the grip machine will let me do that, train it like a regular lift, and so I should see more progress. And I really like the idea of using resistance bands with it, so I can still retain the general feel of a torsion gripper.

John: thanks! Even though this is the heaviest I've ever done on the hub, I feel stronger (more control) on it than ever.

100lbs? Alright, let's party.

• Like 1

Saturday 3-2-13 at Home

Grippers -

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 5, #2 x 2, SM x 2 attempts, super close.

(Choker at 17mm) SM x 2 singles, 3rd attempt.

#2 x 2 singles.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, #2 x 5, #2.5 x 3, GHP6 x close attempt. #3 x close attempt.

(Choker at 17mm) #3 x 2 singles, 3rd attempt.

#2.5 x 2 singles.

2HP - 97.5 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 137.5 x 3, 157.5 x 2 (8 sets)

Today went alright. I think next time I'll do my heavy gripper attempts before doing my limit working sets... had trouble getting the chokers in place today. wanted to set them at 15mm but for some reason could only get them down to 17mm... I think the hose clamps stretched a little. Still, went alright.

2HP went well. I know I said I'd only add 2.5lbs but... felt like throwing on 5lbs today. wasn't a problem for me. I was having trouble, however, getting the plates on there and everything clamped down tight enough, so it was all kind of loose and shifty... made it a little tougher, but you work with what you got.

No time for anything else.

Pops gripper should be here Monday!

Monday 3-4-13 at the YMCA

Axle Push Press - 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 175 x 2, 175 x 2, 175 x 4 singles, 175 x 2 attempts (cleaned, but couldn't press).

Axle DO Deadlift - 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 280 x 3, 305 x 2, 305 x 1, 300 x 1... that's all I had. Off day.

Dumbbell Curls -35 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 5, 50 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3, 50 x 3.

Axle Shrugs (alternated grip) - 165 x 10, 215 x 10, 255 x 10, 305 x 10.

Axle Rack Pulls (alternated grip) - 345 x 5, 395 x 5, 435 x 3, 485 x 3, 525 x 3.

Today was no so hot. Had a rough morning, got in there a little late, and just was generally feeling off. Couldn't get focused enough and couldn't power the weight like on a normal day... the Push-presses were pretty much the same as last week.

When I got to the Axle deads, my hands were just feeling fried and I couldn't really do anything. So I'm left to ask myself: Should I move these to squat day? or leave them where they are and let the cleans I do with the axle for the push press act as a kind of pre-exhaustion? Not sure... next time however, I will lower my weight a bit, both in the warmups and the working sets.

Because the axle deads didn't go so well, I did some alternated grip axle shrugs (instead of eagle loop shrugs. I like those, but right now, I think the axle shurgs will be more conducive to my goals), and then some rack pulls... I used to do heavy rack pulls alot (Did a lot of partial range lifts, actually, and I really liked it) and I've been thinking about re-integrating them into my training. Maybe this will be a good way to do it. It definitely felt really good to get over 500lbs this way, and I know I had more in the tank, I was just feeling it out today. I think I'll start doing them again on deadlift day...

Pops gripper will be here today! Maybe that'll make me feel better.

Trying to find ways to work 1/4 squats and 1/4 deadlifts (with the axle) back into my routine. Think I may have a good scheme for it, which is exciting, because I miss doing those lifts.

Pops Grip Machine!

The Pops Grip machine is here! This thing is sweeeeeet.

Put all the bands on that came with it, and was messing around, but was able to get up to 90lbs using both hands.

I really know nothing about grip machine weights.. What would a "good" number on this be considered?

Also, I'm not sure if its better to train it with one hand at a time, or two at a time... Anybody have thoughts on this!

My compliments to Sorinex. This is clearly a well built piece of equipment, and it arrived here in two business days! Not to mention the great deal I got on it.

To be clear, 90lbs wasnt max or anything, I was just messing around and feeling the machine out.

Haha oh no, Lindsey isn't my girlfriend. Just my best friend. She is a lesbian, after all.

But yeah, she's pretty awesome.