Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Thursday 5-30-13 at the YMCA

Axle military press - 75 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 135 x 3, 140 x 2, 145 x 2, 150 x 1, 155 x 1, 160 x almost.

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 375 x 3, 385 x 3, 395 x 2, 405 x 2, 415 x 1, 425 x 1.

Tired. Dead ass tired. This one about killed me. Took so long I didnt even do grip. So what I need to do is abbreviate my workouts. Limit to one big lift, (maybe) one assistance lift, and one grip lift for Tuesday and Thursday. I think that'll save me in the long run, help conserve my energy, and allow for a couple extra attempts at a given lift if need be.

Saturday 6-1-13 at Home

Log press - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 145 x 3, 150 x 2, 155 x 2, 160 x 1, 165 x almost. 170 x nope, 170 x nope, 170 x nope.

Log cleans - 170 x 1, 165 x 1, (w/press) - 160 x 2/1, 155 x 2/1, 150 x 3/2, 145 x 3/2.

Hub -

Left - 25 x 3, 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 47.5 x 2, 50 x 2, 52.5 x 1, 55 x 1, 57.5 x nope. Damnit.

Right - same as left. Dammit.

Card tearing - 30 card stack, quartered quickly.

Yesterday was a big day so I didn't hve time to log this until now. Log press went well, I'll get 170 next time. when I got to the cleans I felt like playing around, so instead of doing them in ascending order, I went in descending order and, when possible, did a press with each clean. That's what the "3/2" type markings are. 3 cleans, 2 presses. This was brutal, absolutely killed my arms. Haha.

And then there is the hub lift. Which is absolutely pissing me off at this point. The regression in strength at this point is just awful. Tried usig the 3/2/2/1/1/1 approach here, hoping it would at least get me "in range" but that didn't happen. I don't know what to do with it at this point. Maybe I ought to take a break from this one for awhile?...

Card tearing, on the other hand, is getting much much better. Friday I bought the Diesel Crew Card Tearing E-book, and it was an EXCELLENT purchase. Seriously. It is really helping me hone in my technique for card tearing, and though I didn't do a whole deck yesterday: 1) the tear was cleaner and smoother than ever and 2) I was able to quarter the stack, which is really awesome because ive NEVER been able to do that before, and I accredit that breakthrough to the E-book.

Yesterday evening I went fishing and caught a great big fat blue cat. my scale was acting up so I couldn't weigh it, but it had to be at the very least (and I mean, this Is a conservative estimate) 10lbs.

And my friend Lindsey, while I was busy spending hours on the cat, caught a dozen bluegills. Fish fry tonight!

Sunday 6-2-13 at the YMCA/Home

Bottom Squats - 110 x 5, 150 x 5, 200 x 20.

Hise Shrugs - (slowed down, more focus on breathing) 165 x 10, 255 x 10, 305 x 20.

Dumbbell Curls - 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 4, 55 x 3, 60 x 2, 65 x nope, 60 x 1.

Neck Bridges (all directions) 10, 10, 10.

Pops Grip Machine - (all bands) 90 x 5, 135 x 5, 170 x 3, 200 x 2 (5 sets)

Card tearing - 35 card stack - halved, with a little slippage... 30 card stack, quartered, easy... couple 30 card half stacks quartered.

Today was good. Was reading a bit about the Hise shrugs this week and saw that the correct way to do them is actually with a deep breath during the rep, not in between, so I dropped my weight back a bit, slowed it down, and focused on the breathing. this was tough. haha.

Did some curls. People stared. Which I thought was funny, because they weren't super heavy... but I guess everyone has a different conception of heavy. To me, and I think to anyone who knows a good deal about lifting, this isn't too heavy. To the average exerciser at the gym, this is heavy.

still easing into the neck bridges. I'll add some weight next time.

Grip machine is still coming along steady. Card tearing went fine too. I think what I will do is just do a set at the end of every workout, and add 1 card at a time, to work up and keep focus on my technique. it'll be a bit slower that way, but good things come to those who wait.

Since I've been cleaning and lubricating all of my fishing reels lately, I thought I should do the same for my grippers, so now they're all shiny and working smooth again. in the process of this, I got quite a few gripper closes in... as many as I could manage for each hand, as heavy as I could manage. Anyway, it felt good to hit the grippers again after a few weeks off them. I think every few weeks I'll hit them instead of the grip machine, just for variety.

I'm feeling the need to change things up a bit, particularly in my grip training... So this week will be a little different. Should have the Iron Orb O'Doom this week, so that'll help me change things up. also want to start integrating some finger lifting. don't know if i'll do the eagle loops, or just use the barbell, but I'll probably start doing that on deadlift day... probably not this week though, as I'll want to do RT then, but the next week. May start being a little more free spirited with how I schedule my grip work, and not be so concerened about hitting every one of them on a strict schedule every week. Will probably take some time off from the hub though, develop my strength in a different aspect and come back to it. This week I'm gonna get on top of the axle power cleans, which really are a heavy grip workout in themselves. They fry my hands, so I don't know if I will do anything after them tuesday, and if so, what it would be... maybe anvil.

Also, I was thinking, since I'm cutting down my workouts during the week to just focus on one big lift, on tuesday, after I reach my top military press, or if I have a failed attempt, I can pop out a few extra lifts from the eye-level press to get some overload there... and on deadlift day, of course, I can do some extra deadlifts, as well as regular shrugs.

and on either day, if time and energy permit, I can throw in some squats. Because 3 sets of squats really doesn't take much time.

Was thinking about doing some finger lifting today, but the tendon in my left finger feels bruised, so that rules that out.

Also was thinking about maybe hitting the grippers, but again, the sore finger...

On the upside though, the Iron Orb O'Doom is ready. Picked it up yesterday. I'll post a pic when I'm done painting it.

I'd like to try squatting 3 time a week, but I really dont know how that will work after having deadlifted... So I'll probably wind up doing twice a week..

This week, since in a transitional phase for my lifting schedule, my grip work will be a little wonky, but next week I'll start doing it like this

Tuesday - axle cleans and anvil/orb (not decided yet which is better)

Thursday - axle DO deadlift and finger lifts/grippers (maybe alternating weeks for these...)

Saturday - Rolling Thunder

Sunday - pops grip machine and anvil/orb

Looking forward to today's workout...

It'll be interesting to see how I fare on the axle deadlift again...

I wonder... Is it redundant if I do axle cleans, axle two finger lifts, and axle DO deadlifts? Could I do the first two and still make gains on the DO deads without doing them?

Just trying to think of ways to save on time and still get good results...

I mean, I'm probably still going to do them regularly. Just thinking aloud I guess...

Edited by Mephistopholes

Eventually (I'm saving money) I want to get the saxon bar and train it alongside the DO axle deadlifts. One day for each.

Tuesday 6-4-13 at the YMCA

Axle Miltary Press - 75 x 5, 95 x 3, 115 x 3, 135 x 3, 140 x 2, 145 x 2, 150 x 1, 155 x 1, 160 x nope.

Eye Level Press - 160 x 1, 165 x 1, 170 x 1.

Axle Cleans - 150 x 3, 155 x 3, 160 x 2, 165 x 2, 170 x 1, 175 x 1

Bottom squats - 115 x 5, 155 x 5, 205 x 20.

Today went alright, except I skipped grip today to give the hands a rest.

My left arm is bugging me. was bugging me this weekend too. something must be overstressed. It just has this sort of slow dull ache about it...

Okay so ive decided to go back to a 9-day schedule, and minimize what im doing Sunday. This won't really change what I do too much, but more of how often I do it, and should allow me to have slightly shorter workouts. Plus, I can bring pullups and heavy carries/farmers walks back into the mix (when I get some farmers handles) and give more attention to grip work. Now if only I could figure out a good place to do shrugs...

I'm going to keep squatting twice a week for now, until I get where I want with it, and then I might swap out on of those for bench pressing. Eventually.

Thursday 6-6-13 at the YMCA

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 380 x 3, 390 x 3, 400 x 2, 410 x 2, 420 x 1, 430 x 1.

Axle DO deadlifts - 125 x 3, 165 x 3, 215 x 3, 255 x 3, 265 x 2, 275 x 2, 285 x 1, 295 x 1, 305 x 1.

Axle four finger deadlifts -

1st 2 - 75 x 3, 125 x 3, 165 x 3.

Last 2 - 75 x 3, 125 x 3, 165 x nope, 165 x 3.

Pullups - 5 sets of 5.

Orb - at home, just messing around, worked for singles up to 45ish (more like 46.5) for the right hand and 40 for the left.

Today was good. That last deadlift was a tough one, so I'll probably do that weight again next time...

Axle deadlifts went fine for something that I never do. I still don't really like this lift though. I don't know what it is about it, I'm just kinda "eh..." About it.

The four finger deadlift on the axle was fun... Depending on your definition of "fun." I liked it though. I think this is something that will best be done for singles.

Working pullups back in...

Messed with the Orb at home. That was fun :) so It turns out Its a 4 3/8" diameter. Smaller than I thought. Guess I got wrong measurements somewhere. Regardless, I can't fit my hand around it, so it'll do the job.

Still not sure if I really "need" to be doing pullups. I mean, they're fun and all, but they take time... And with all the cleans I'm doing, im thinking they may be superfluous... Any body have thoughts on this?

I can say one thing:

I feel like s*** is getting too complicated. Haha. I have too much time to think about this stuff, so it gets complicated.

Pull ups are basically squats for the upper body.

...Along with presses.

What's a complete list of all lifts you're doing now?

Yeah, I'm keeping em on there... I think I'll drop axle deads from the list again. I've been thinking about it, and basically trying to parse it down to focus on one big lift per session.

Lifts:

Day 1)

Axle military press

(optional) partial press

Axle cleans

Bottom squats (for now, until I get where I want, then dropping it)

Orb

Day 2)

Deadlifts

Pullups

Axle finger lifts

Day 3)

Log press

Log cleans

Dumbbell one arm press

RT

Day 4)

Bottom squats

Hise Shrugs

Dumbbell curls

Anvil

Sunday (extras)

neck bridges

Grip machine/grippers

Heavy Carry (optional)

Farmers walk (optional, after I have the means to do it)

Wrist roller (optional)

I think that pretty well uncomplicates things... I just gotta highlight priorities.

To be clear, I'm going to take a break from the hub for a little while. When I come back to it, I'll hit it hard, but also do it in conjunction with other forms of pinching, including the orb.

The finger lifting may also be mixed with other widths/implements.

Decent workout today, but I dont have my notebook on me right now so I'll log it later...

Also: I actually measured my hands today. The size is (drumroll please)....... 8.25" inches right, and a little bit longer (not measurable) left.

Hahaha

Yes. I'm Hell Boy.

No I mean the difference is not measurable. It's a fraction of an inch that I can't see on the ruler. My left hand is pretty close the same size at the middle finger as my right, but the index and ring fingers ate significantly longer on the left than the right.

The index and ring on my left are nearly the same length as each other, and not much shorter than my middle. The pinky is normal though.

The left is probably 1/16 of an inch larger.

Two late entries here....

Saturday 6-8-13 at Home

Log Press - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 145 x 3, 150 x 1, 155 x 1, 160 x 1, 165 x nope, 165 x nope.

Log Cleans - 150 x 3, 155 x 3, 160 x 2, 165 x 2, 170 x 1, 175 x 1 (last one was a bit sloppy)

One arm Dumbbell Press - 55 x 5, 60 x 4, 65 x 3, 70 x 1

Rolling Thunder -

Left - 102.5 x 3, 127.5 x 3, 147.5 x 3, 167.5 x 3, 172.5 x 2, 177.5 x 2, 182.5 x 1, 187.5 x 1, 192.5 x not quite

Right - 102.5 x 3, 127.5 x 3, 147.5 x 3, 167.5 x 3, 172.5 x 2, 177.5 x 2, 182.5 x 1, 187.5 x 1, 192.5 x 1

Wasn't feeling "full power" on this day, for whatever reason, hence the lack of reps for the log press...

Sunday 6-9-13 at the YMCA/Home

Pops Grip Machine - (all bands on) 90 x 5, 135 x 5, 175 x 3, 205 x 2, (5 sets)

Bottom Squats - 120 x 5, 160 x 5, 210 x 20.

Hise Shrugs - 165 x 10, 255 x 10, 310 x 20.

Pullovers - 20 x 20.

Neck Bridges - 10, +10 x 10, +10 x 10.

Twist Your wrist device - 10 x 3, 15 x 3, 20 x 2, 25 x 2, 30 x 1, 35 x 1.

On this day I still wasn't feeling "full power" and was pretty stressed out and emotionally exhausted, but I went ahead and hit the iron. The squats and stuff were "extra" for this day, and when I have the time I'll do sunday like this. A few extra squats never hurt anybody. haha. Next time I'd like to do some heavy carries too.

Tomorrow will be my "real" squat workout day.

Also considering switching over to just singles for the presses, done in progressive sets, with the top weight being done for 3-5 sets... I'll give the scheme now another week, but if it is still stale, I'm switching the reps up.

The current scheme does seem to work well with grip, deadlifts and cleans, and assistance type stuff, but for primary presses it seems to go kinda stale.

Also have plans to do more dumbbell presses.... (starting next week) Probably will do dumbbell presses on squat day, and the dumbbell curl and press on log press day

So At work I've been doing nothing but shoveling mulch the last 2 days.... So I'm taking tonight off from training. I'll resume it tomorrow, then the next session will be Saturday.... A slight hiccup in my schedule, but it'll give me a little extra rest.