Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Wednesday 6-12-13 at the YMCA/Home

(Light) Axle military press - 75 x 5, 100 x 5, 125 x 5, 125 x 5, 125 x 5.

Bottom Squats - 125 x 5, 165 x , 215 x 11, 215 x 9.

Hise Shrugs - 165 x 10, 255 x 10, 315 x 20.

Dumbbell curls - 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 4, 55 x 3, 60 x 2.

Dumbbell breathing pullovers - 25 x 20.

Orb

Left - 16 x 3, 26 x 3, 36 x 2, 41 x 5 singles.

Right - same as left.

Today was alright. Did a little more than I inteded, actually. It's been a hot, exhausting week already, so i went into this knowing it probably wouldn't be top notch. turned out alright though. couldn't finish the 20 rep set with the squats, so i finished it out in a second set... next time i'll hit 20.

Experiemented today with doing a "light" day for the military press, instead of doing dumbbell presses... Did it with the 5x5 scheme... might have gone a little too heavy for this though. the last reps were kinda crappy. but its okay, I still got em. I'll do this for a while and see how it works... If it doesn't seem to be helping me much, I'll probably start benching on this day.

all the squats and hise shrugs and light pullovers really got the lungs working. haha.

Using the Orb was fun. Just opted to do singles on this, as it is pretty tough to reset your grip on it between reps. I'll use the 1 1/4lb plate for increases on this.

Brusied ring finger is feeling a bit better, but still tender. don't think I could do grippers or hub right now with it feeling like this. wide grip stuff though doesn't seem to bother it at all.

Alright, going to do bench pressing on my regular squat day. It's been long enough since I've done them as a regular thing. From the bottom position with the axle. Alright. Solves that question. Haha

Just saw the list of exercises you're posting. Why not abbreviate it a bit? You've got quite a long list.

For example- do you really need curls to get by?

I don't, my pull ups cover for it well.

Yeah I know... The curls are more there for bullet proofing, so to speak. Preventing bicep tears. I like em actually. But I've got it pretty well settled in now I think. Each session is Around 90 minutes.

But yeah, abbreviation is always what I intend for... And in a way, what I'm doing now is somewhat abbreviated, spread out over 9 days instead of 7... And a benefit of this is I can do more and different sorts of grip work, and at the moment I can fit in more squats, which works with my current goals.

But you're right, a more truly abbreviated program would likely be better. I need some 3rd party guidance here. Part of the problem I've always had is when I want to do heavy press work at home, such as the log press, that limits what I can do, because I can't do heavy lower body work at home, like deadlifts or squats.

I try to limit each session to 4 different lifts at most... Yesterday's was an exception. Haha

I guess it depends on what we're trying to achieve.

I'll be doing a 5 day a week program in short order, but each day only consisting of 2 lifts and maybe 45 mins.

Yeah. I've always been one to do more. Haha. I seem to do best when I take a single lift and just pound it out a bunch of times. Like 8-10 singles with the presses, for example.That takes a lot of time. Or 20 rep squats, which take less time, which allows me to do other stuff in that free time... Doing the squats, hise shrugs, and pullovers takes a little less time than the presses.

But what am I trying to achieve...

I want to be strong as a silver back gorilla, and big as a truck.

Two notes, both of which I attribute to all these high rep squat sessions:

1) my weight loss seems to have stopped, and now it's on the slow climb back up. I got down to 201.... About 203.5 now.

2) I'm looking ripped. All over, but my legs especially. I don't think my legs have ever looked this muscular. Haha

Crap, maybe I spoke too soon: weight today at 199.5. Ugh. Gotta curb this weight loss, it's weakening me.

Yesterday's workout wasnt terrible, but it wasn't great, I'll post it later.

Yesterday's workout:

Saturday 6-15-13 at the YMCA/Home

Axle military Press - 85 x 5, 110 x 3, 135 x 3, 160 x nope. 155 x 4 singles. last two were tough.

Eye-Level Press - 165 x 1, 170 x nope. (here is where I really realized how tired I was)

Axle Cleans - 150 x 3, 155 x 3, 160 x 2, 165 x 2, 170 x 1, 175 x 1 (got it, but that last one was real rough)

Anvil Horn -

Left - 85 x 3, 100 x 3, 115 x 3, 130 x 1, 135 x 1, 140 x nope. 135 x 1.

Right - same as left.

I left this workout being pretty frustrated. but, after a few hours to cool down, I realized it wasn't so bad really. I was definitely tired all around, cleans were coming up slow, lifts were sloppy... It was just one of those days. and this recent weight loss (again) really probably didn't help me too much either. I haven't been this light in quite a while, and I don't like it at all. So it wasn't the best. Next time will be better. What I will do is 1) have a "light" workout next time and use 150 for the presses, and 2) go for 5-8 singles. I'll do the same for the log press...

Sunday 6-16-13 at Home

Grippers (a bunch of little warmups first with the guide and sport grippers)

Left - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, #2 x 2.

Right - T x 10, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 5, #2 x 3, #2.5 x 3, GM x nope.

Messed with grippers today, really more out of curiosity than anything. wasn't spectacular... For one thing, I'm still tired, and so I took today off from any other lifting. the other thing though is that whatever is sore about my left ring finger didn't like the feel of grippers. it Didn't like the anvil horn yesterday, either. And for the moment, finger lifting is probably a bad idea... But, I can do wide grip work without any pain, and the grip machine doesn't bother me, so on the upside, It means I'll be focusing in more on orb lifting and rolling thunder lifting for a while, so that may speed up my progress on the RT toward bodyweight...

Was thinking of starting doing something where every other week I would do grippers, then use a lighter weight on the grip machine for high reps, but I suppose I'll wait on that for awhile. haha.

I'm looking forward to getting back into doing high-volume singles with my presses. May do something like that with deadlifts too. That's a fun way to train, I think, if you have the time/design the time for it. Also, will start benching again on my next squat session (saturday) so hopefully that new stimulus will help promote some weight gain.

Okay so, had a great workout tonight, despite the fact that i was shoveling mulch all day. But j forgot to record it here and it's too late to do right now...

However, one really cool thing:

I pulled 200lbs on the rolling thunder! Woooo! Huge goal to check off there. Pulled it all the way with my left hand, and got air with the right but no lockout. Right will come soon though. And now my bodyweight is like 202, so this was almost a bodyweight pull.

• Like 1

Nice work with that 200 pound pull!

• Like 1

Okay so, had a great workout tonight, despite the fact that i was shoveling mulch all day. But j forgot to record it here and it's too late to do right now...

However, one really cool thing:

I pulled 200lbs on the rolling thunder! Woooo! Huge goal to check off there. Pulled it all the way with my left hand, and got air with the right but no lockout. Right will come soon though. And now my bodyweight is like 202, so this was almost a bodyweight pull.

Huge congrats on the 200 lb RT lift dude. Its always a great feeling accomplishing a goal.

• Like 1

Yesterday, Thursday 6-18-13 at YMCA/Home

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 385 x 1, 395 x 1, 405 x 1, 415 x 5 singles.

Pullups - 5, 5, +5 x 5, +10 x 4, +15 x 3, +20 x 2, +25 x 1.

RT -

Left - 100 x 3, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 160 x 1, 170 x 1, 180 x 1, 190 x 1, 200 x 1 !!!!!!!!

Right - same as left, except 200 x air.

Yesterday was a good one. I'd been shoveling mulch all day, so I dropped down a bit on deadlifts, went fine.

Apparently underestimated what I could do on pullups after having not done them for a while. So that went easy.

RT went great! Finally hit 200. Now to get it with my right hand... And i weighed in at 200 this morning, so tectonically, this was a bodyweight RT pull. Woo!

Thursday 6-20-13 at Home

Log Press - 120 x 3, 120 x 3, 130 x 3, 145 x 1, 150 x 1, 155 x 1 (tough), 160 x 1, 160 x nope. 160 x 1, 160 x nope, 160 x nope.

Log Cleans - 150 x 3, 155 x 3, 160 x 2, 165 x 2, 170 x 1, 175 x 1.

2" Dumbbell curl and press - 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 5, 55 x 5.

Orb -

Left - 20 x 3, 30 x 3, 35 x 3, 42.5 x 5 singles.

Right - Same as left.

Today went alright. i was real tired going into it. I was really having trouble getting my rhythm down with the log press, keeping the leg drive and arm press fluid and synced, so I had a few misses there. Its alright. I'll pound it out more next time.

the curl and press was brutal after all that log work. haha.

Orb went well, nothing too remarkable there yet. It's a fun tool for sure...

Looking back over some of my older training journals, I've realized that the one thing that really seemed to consistently work for me was the singles program I did with the Keg Press. becuase the keg is especially hard to unload weight from, what I would be forced to do is work with the same weight week after week until I mastered it, then I could move up. Some days I'd only get one single with it, some days I'd get 10, but I couldn't go back in weight, so I was forced to just keep on trying to plow ahead a little bit further every week. In a modified sense, this is what I'm going to do with my presses, and with deadlifts too. I've also noticed that I do better with a lot of warmups. So the program is to do 3 warmup sets of reps, then 3 warmup singles (all progressing in weight), and then 5 singles with my working weight. If I can hit that, and its not a total fight to do it, then the next time I will add weight and just keep hitting that weight until I've got it mastered too. for now I will go with 5 singles, but in the future, if I've got a bit more time and feel like rearranging things a bit, I will likely work up to 8 or 10 singles.

and Yori: yes, you gotta get on it, dude!

Yesterday, Saturday 6-23-13 at YMCA

Axle Bottom Bench - 100 x 5, 125 x 3, 150 x 3, 175 x 3 (4 sets), 175 x 2.

RT

Left - 105 x 3, 130 x 3, 155 x 3, 170 x 3, 175 x 2, 180 x 2, 185 x 1, 190 x 1, 195 x nope.

Right - same as left.

Yesterday I just did this half workout. Was low on energy and short on time... Still went alright. Started benching again, probably started a little too heavy...

Wanted to squat and everything else today, but my body didnt want too. I had a big date yesterday and was just super worn out today, so I opted to rest. It'll set my schedule off a little, but that's okay. Lately I've been going all out between work and lifting, and need a break. I'll hit it tomorrow.

Date was excellent. I haven't met a girl I'm really interested in for quite a while, but I like this one, so it was really nice. I met her when I was walking my dog; he makes up for my shyness. Haha

The perks of having a dog!

Glad you enjoyed it, brother. Hope she turns out pretty cool.

• Like 1

Monday 6-24-13 at the YMCA

Pullups - 5, 5, +10 x 5, +15 x 4, +20 x 3, +25 x 2, +30 x 1.

Bottom squats - 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 215 x 5 (5 sets)

Hise Shrugs - 165 x 10, 255 x 10, 320 x 20

Dumbbell pullovers - 25 x 25

Today was good. Dont normally come in on Mondays, it was crowded, so it took a little longer. Opted for sets of 5 in the squat today... Short on time, so I'll hit the grip machine tomorrow.

Trying to figure out how to incorporate more presses in my routine...