Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

If you deadlift, will you be pulling them twice a week? Also, which one do you like doing more?

I prefer the Deadlift. Haha. But my squatting needs work...

Yeah I mean Sunday would be an "extra" day. Either I'd deadlift twice a week, squat twice a week, or just alternate weeks (which is probably what I'll do), in one week squatting twice and deadlifting once, the next week doing the opposite.

Saturday 5-18-13 at Home

Log Press - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x nope. 165 x nope. 160 x nope. Ugh.

Anvil Horn -

Left - 135 x 2 (crap, way misloaded this.) 85 x 3, 95 x 3, 110 x 3, 125 x 2, 120 x 2, 120 x 2, 120 x 2, 120 x 2.

Right - same as left.

Today sucked pretty much. Guess i'm just worn out. That would at least explain why the log press was so crappy...

Anvil is a combination of factors. For one, the thing felt greased when I first picked it up. Guess it's the humidity. So I had to season it down good with chalk... Then I started pulling, and at first I couldn't even get it. Then I pulled it a couple times and It felt real heavy. Then I realized I had accidentally overloaded it by a whole 45lb plate! So that got me off to a bad start... And then it just didn't go so well... I ended it after that...

Also, my legs are sore. And not my thighs, not even the muscles really, but it's like my shins are sore. Like the bones are sore. Maybe that has something to do with my crap lifting today. All in all, today was just frustrating.

Sunday 5-19-13 at YMCA/Home

Bottom Squats - 95 x 5, 135 x 5, 185 x 20.

Hise Shrugs - 165 x 10, 255 x 10, 345 x 20.

Dumbbell curls - 30 x 5, 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 5, 50 x 5.

Pop Grip Machine - (all bands on) 90 x 5, 130 x 3, 160 x 3, 190 x 2 (5 sets)

Well, today went well. Got back on the mass builder volume plan. Haha. Death set squats and Hise Shrugs. Threw some curls in too. Grip machine went well. Still not super hard or anything...

Ive been closing grippers on and off today, but no concerted effort to sit down and do it. Going pretty well actually. I like doing it this way... Same with the hills dumbbell. No chalk, no big psych up for it, I just grab it and go. Be cool if I could start TNS-ing them like this.

May do some wrist roller stuff later. Right now im just taking it easy though.

I may be rubbing off on Ollie. After I got home from work, we've spent the last half hour outside, with him trying to pick up something he's not supposed to be able to pick up, a basketball. Haha. Damnedest thing is, he got it. Grip puppy.

Actually, he has some super strong jaws on him. He hasn't found anything yet that he can't rip apart, including tug ropes and heavy duty rubber frisbees. Yesterday I bought him this toy that was supposed to be for strong jawed dogs. Made of heavy duty double layered canvas, with extra strong seams... Didn't take him 5 minutes. Seriously. First he tore the seams, then he just ripped the body of it apart.

I can even just pick him up straight off the ground while he is clamped down on a frisbee, and he'll just hang there like nothing happened. Strong grip on this one... :)

Edited by Mephistopholes

Tuesday 5-21-13 at YMCA/Home

Axle military press - 75 x 5, 100 x 3, 125 x 3, 150 x 2.

Bottom Squats - 100 x 5, 140 x 5, 190 x 20.

Hise shrugs - 170 x 10, 260 x 10, 350 x 20.

RT -

Left - 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 2 (4 sets) 185 x 1.

Right - (same as left)

Today went good. Cycling back up in the military press. Squattin', shruggin', doin' it. Haha

RT went alright, but I think I may need to drop back a few pounds next time and work back up to avoid getting stuck on this weight.

Went to talk to the machinist yesterday about making the Iron Orb O'doom. Should hear from him soon about how much it will be, etc. It's gonna take a big hunk of steel...

Also, had a thought. one reason my grip lifts recently have either gone down or gone static might be because I've been doing them at home, instead of at the gym, and since the plates i have at home arent as nice as the ones at the Y, they may actually weigh more, even though their written weight is the same.

Thursday 5-23-13 at the YMCA/Home

Axle military press - 75 x 5, 100 x 3, 125 x 3, 150 x 2 (2 sets)

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 365 x 3, 400 x 2 (5 sets)

Anvil Horn -

Left - 85 x 3, 95 x 3, 110 x 3, 122.5 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - (same as left)

Twist your wrist device - 15 x 10

Today went great. Exactly as planned. Felt good, something finally goes smoothly for me. Haha. Anvil went up like nothin. Even threw in some wrist roller stuff at the end. I'm gonna try to do that at the end of every session, using the 1 1/4 plate to slowly progress and go for volume. Get some blood pumpin.

That was what I needed this week. Made me feel good.

No word yet from the machinist.

Today was the second time in two weeks that I actually ripped the ripcord off of the weed eater and work. Totally by accident. Maybe I'm getting too strong? Haha

Weight about 205/206 this morning. Weight loss from the job is about steady with what I expect, but it seems the strength loss may have leveled off.

So I use to do neck bridges, as well as neck Isos, religiously. But I got out of it... I used to do neck bridges with 90lbs, for bunches of reps. Anyway, I need to bring that back into my training, so I'm going to start incorporating neck bridges in there, probably Sunday. I was considering buying a neck harness to do some of that too, but I don't know. Never tried it, and I'm not sure I want to shell out the money.

Also, in addition to doing log cleans on Saturdays, I want to start doing axle power cleans as a primary lift. Lots of cleans equal lots of power. Haha. What I will probably do is wait until I get to maybe 275 with the 20 rep squats, then drop that back from twice a week to once a week, and put the cleans in on Tuesday just after military pressing. Then I'll move the rolling thunder to a different day so my hands aren't tired from the cleans going into it.

Saturday 5-25-13 at Home

Log Press - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 145 x 3, 150 x 2, 155 x 2, 160 x 1, 165 x nope, 165 x 3 singles (dominated this one :) )

Log cleans 160 x 3, 165 x 2 (meant to do 3. oops) 170 x 2, 175 x 2 (that's all I got)

2" dumbbell one arm press - 50 x 5, 55 x 4, 60 x 3, 65 x 2, 70 x 1.

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x 2, 57.5 x 1, 55 x 2, 55 x 2.

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x 2, 60 x 1, 57.5 x 1, 57.5 x 1.

Today was a good one... besides the hub. haha.

I was inspired this week by a blog post that Brooks Kubik made about the 5/4/3/2/1 scheme, so I did something like that today, and I forgot how much I like those staggered sort of schemes, so I may mess with this more with other lifts. I modified it a bit. I used 3/2/2/1/1/1 for the log press, and 3/3/2/2/1/1 for the log cleans. However, I didn't complete it all. when I got to 165 on the press, I missed an attempt. Then I got mad, and made sure I got 165 on the next attempt. Then again. Then again. made it my b****. haha. Just raw determination today. Felt good. Next time I'll get 170. The plan was to do 160, 165, 170. Anyway, I'm intereseted to see how this scheme will work with lifts like the Rolling Thunder, and the Miltary press, and Deadlifts. This week I think I will use it with the military press on tuesday (probably working up to 160), and on thursday do the eye-level press, and feel out where I am on that.

For the cleans, I think I just started to high in weight. I got up to 175 and about knocked myself over, so I stopped there.

Did the traditional 5/4/3/2/1 with the one arm press, think I'll do the same with curls.

Hubbing is still down, which is frustrating. I feel like my strength for this is just depleted. Especially when I get to my working sets, my middle and ring fingers ache. I guess what I need to do here is really cut back my weight and work up... maybe start at 50lbs and work back up. dunno if I'd stick with the 5x2 for this, or try the 3/2/2/1/1/1 scheme.

Actually, to start, I'll probably just use the same weight on the eye level press that I use on the log press.

I wish the Y had a taller rack. The only reason I do the partial press from eye level is because that is as high as I can set the pins. Haha. If I could, I would prefer to start it from the top of my head.

Or maybe I should start benching again, you know, like a normal person. Haha

Seated partial presses may be a good idea.

Well, I've done the seated ones in the past but they didn't help me a whole lot...

The eye level press doesn't make the press real partial, but the benefit of it is that it starts around the sticking point (just below it, actually), and of course it's done standing, which I think has a lot of carryover to the military press.

So you get a little bit of overload, while retaining the basic feel of the move you're trying to improve upon.

Edited by Mephistopholes

Actually, I wonder if I could get away with doing power cleans after squats on Tuesday? Hmmm... Worth a shot, I suppose.

Or squats after power cleans.

Edited by Mephistopholes

True that. Plus, after the 20 rep squats, I'd probably be wasted for cleans. Haha

Worked out earlier, went well, but I don't have my notebook with me now, so I will post it later.

Sunday 5-27-13 at Home/YMCA

Pops Grip Machine - (all bands) 90 x 5, 135 x 5, 165 x 3, 195 x 2 (5 sets)

Bottom Squats - 105 x 5, 145 x 5, 195 x 20.

Hise Shrugs - 175 x 10, 265 x 10, 355 x 20.

Dumbbell curls - 30 x 5, 35 x 5, 40 x 5, 45 x 4, 50 x 3, 55 x 2, 60 x 1.

Neck bridges - (all directions) 15 (just went easy on it today)

Twist your wrist device - 10 x 3 15 x 3, 20 x 2, 25 x 2, 30 x 1, 35 x 1.

Good day today all around. Squats, shrugs, curls, grip. All of it felt good. Grip machine is still coming along steady.

A while back I started doing curls again after seeing an article Jedd posted on his site about using curls to bullet proof your biceps against tears. Sounded like a good idea to me. And i'm not someone who is too concerned about looking big and muscular, but now after I've been doing curls hard for awhile, I gotta say my arms are like BAM! Haha. Thanks Jedd!

Was at a cookout later. At the urging of my friends I tore a deck of cards. It did not go well. For one thing, I was already tired from this workout. But then my friends gave me this deck and i tried and I tried and got nowhere. Then I realized the cards were MADE of some sort of plastic. I couldn't even tear one of them! There was no way that was going to go. So I wasted a bunch of strength and energy on that crap. Then I got a real deck of cards and got it... But it took forever, like 7 minutes. Seriously. It was embarassing and frustrating and I just didn't have the strength left for it. Tore a chunk out of my left pinky in the process.

Tuesday 5-28-13 at Home ("Light" day)

2" Dumbbell One Arm Press - 35 x 5, 45 x 5, 55 x 5, 60 x 4, 65 x 3, 70 x 2, 75 x nope.

RT -

Left - 100 x 3, 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 1790 x 2, 175 x 2, 180 x 1, 185 x 1 190 x 1, (extra work) 195 x 1, 200 x air!

Right - (Same as left) PR for right at 195.

Well, today was hell of a day at work, and I came home feeling like crap. And my dog had been home alone for most of the day (usually there is someone home with him) and I needed to restring and rig some of my fishing reels, so I opted to just do a "light" workout at home today. and Seeing as I have been squatting twice a week anyway, I thought it was alright to do.

One arm press went alright, didn't get that last rep, but it was an improvement on last time.

Now, I hadn't planned on doing the RT today, but I decided "what the hell" and did it anyway. and it went great. used the 3/2/2/1/1/1 approach for it and got all the way through to my scheduled top weight of 190. Easy. But I still felt like playing around, so I threw 195 on there and got it, with a PR for my right hand, which was sweet. Then I thought I'd try 200... got air on it, which is alright, considering at this point I was really just playing around with it. I think that, had 200 been my scheduled top weight, I would have hit it. and pretty soon, it'll be scheduled. IT'S GOING DOWN SOON!

Also, talked to the machinist today... to actually make the Iron Orb O'Doom from raw material will be very expensive, so what I'm going to do is get a 16lb shot put, and he's gonna put a hook on it for me. much cheaper. It'll be bigger than what I intended for, but hey, I like a challenge.

And so I'll just military press Thursday. No biggie.

Starting to think it might not be best for me to have 3 big pressing days a week... So after this week what I might do is press Tuesday and Saturday, which frees me up to do something else on thursday after deadlifting... Probably pullups and (normal) shrugs.

Or maybe I have too much time to think while I'm working. Haha....

Got a 16lb shot put today, and it has been dropped off with the machinist. The Iron Orb O'Doom moves forth!