Mephistopholes's (bobby's) Training Log

Mephistopholes

Right now, I have a (presumed) gap between my 117 tetting super master and unrated #2.5,

and between my 137 GHP6 and 148 Tetting grand master. Ideally I'd have 5lb-ish increments there, so like. 122-23 and a 142-43...

And I may have a gap between my unrated #2 and 117 SM, but I can't really tell.

Right now, I have a (presumed) gap between my 117 tetting super master and unrated #2.5,

and between my 137 GHP6 and 148 Tetting grand master. Ideally I'd have 5lb-ish increments there, so like. 122-23 and a 142-43...

And I may have a gap between my unrated #2 and 117 SM, but I can't really tell.

make sure to fill those gaps. The quickest way to make progress with grippers is to have nice small manageable jumps. I have three grippers which are 2-3 lbs jumps from each other that I'm using to get to the MM5.

• Like 2

Yeah that's really what I need, it just takes money I don't currently have. Haha. And I need to buy some plates before I can buy any more grippers...

Soon enough though.

How's the MM5 comin?

(On a side note, I'm going to keep doing the RT twice a week until I either reach my goal, or feel that it is counter productive, and then I'll drop it back to Once a week, in exchange for axle deadlifts or finger deadlifts.... This is really just a reminder to myself, to help me sort it out.)

I have duplicates in the 120-123 area, namely a GNC200 at 121. My #2.5 rates at 123. But then again, it's an easy one.

142 is going to be hard to find, I think.

I'm lucky to be the temporary keeper of Eric Milfeld's #3 at 142.

Yeah I think for the odd numbers like 142, the best bet is going to be the Tetting grippers, as they seem to have the most variation.

My birthday is Wednesday, however, so maybe that'll take care of the plates for me. :)

Tuesday 5-7-13 at YMCA/Home

Axle Military Press- 80 x 3, 105 x 3, 130 x 3, 155 x 2.

Bottom Squats - 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 245 x 3 (5 sets)

RT-

Left - 122.5 x 3, 142.5 x 3, 162.5 x 3, 182.5 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - (same as left)

Well, today went good, especially considering that i'm back on the farm now and my body is still getting used to the extra stress. Haha.

Press went well, I'll add a set next time. I'm going to see how twice a week works for the military press and RT... If it seems like it's too much, I'll drop it to once a week and do something else on day 2.

Dropped back a little in weight on the squats, just out of necessity.

I think the plan for the summer is to do the grip stuff at home, just so I can get back to my dog sooner, so that's what I did today. Doesn't seem that my grip strength was cut into from work.

Just keeping it to 3 lifts for now, out of lack of time and energy. Went well this evening, but i'm beat.

Not a workout day today, but at work I shoveled tons (literally) of mulch. 12 bulldozer scoops worth. I'm whooped.

The other guys brought up the wheelbarrows, and I shoveled it all.

5-9-13 at home

One arm dumbbell press- 42 x 5, 57 x 3, 67 x R3/L0

"..." push press- 67 x 3, 72 x 3, 77 x R1/L2

Hub

Left - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x nope.

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 55 x 3, 62.5 x nope.

Well, today sucked. I'm just exhausted and everything is fried. Ugh. I didn't even go to the Y because the bottoms of my feet are raw or something and every step hurts, and just the idea of all the walking involved just to get in the gym was not appealing at all. Next week will be better.

Saturday 5-11-13 at Home

Log press- 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 2.

RT

Left - 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 1, 185 x 1.

Right - 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 1.

Today was alright. I was hungover, so I just took it easy on myself today. I'll add a set on the log press next time, do more on the RT...

Not sure if I might be better off doing the RT and Military press once a week instead of twice a week...

May do the eye level press and Holle dumbbell in exhange for those... Or the push press. Not sure.

Sunday 5-12-13 at Home

Log Cleans - 120 x 3, 135 x 3, 150 x 3, 165 x 3 (5 sets)

Anvil Horn

Left - 87.5 x 3, 102.5 x 3, 117.5 x 3, 132.5 x nope (wtf?) 125 x 2, 125 x 2.

Right - Same as left.

Pops Grip Machine - (all bands on) 90 x 3, 125 x 3, 155 x 3, 185 x 2 (5 sets)

Grippers -

Left - T x 5, #1 x 5, #1.5 x 3, #2 x nope.

Right - T x 5, #1 x 5, #2 x 3, #2.5 x nope... ugh.

Well, today was a mixed bag. Log cleans went well (did those today since I skipped em yesterday), but the anvil horn kinda went like crap. Grip machine went well, grippers went like crap. Don't know if it was an off day or what. kinda frustrating...

Also, today I went and bought some more standard plates, and was able to find one (only one) 1 1/4 pound plate, which I figured might help with some grip stuff (hub, maybe?) in the future...

Love the fractionals! Too bad you only found 1, but you're right that it's great for the hub.

• Like 1

Yeah I figured I'd just grab it while I could and I'd find something to do with it. Haha. It was only like 50 cents anyway. Hopefully I can find another one somewhere though so I can use em for dumbbells... I need to get more 25s to so I can do the farmers walk with the 2" dumbbells I have, but it's gonna take awhile to amass the amount I need...

5-14-13 at the YMCA/Home

Axle Military Press - 80 x 5, 105 x 3, 130 x 3, 155 x 2, 155 x 1, 155 x 1, 155 x 1.

Bottom Squats - 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 3, 250 x 3, 250 x 1. (out of steam)

RT -

Left - 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 2.

Right - 125 x 3, 145 x 3, 165 x 3, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 2, 185 x 1.

Today was mixed. my "big lifts" didn't go so well, but Rolling thunder went alright. I need to figure out what is and is not going to work for me in terms of lifting after work. What I can do in terms of reps or singles or whatever. Last summer, I pretty much did all singles and it went well enough. Its hard at the end of the day for me to muster up the energy to do reps of anything really. Of course, I probably still need more time to adapt to the extra workload from working all day. Today especially was a long day. I don't know... Maybe I should lower some weights and just work back up, or not lower the weights and switch to singles.... really not sure. Its going to be hard to stick to a strict schedule though, I know that. somedays I simply won't have it in me, depending on what I had to do all day.

Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and drop back my weights a bit. Probably the simplest answer. Haha.

A couple of things I'm tossing around:

1) finding a way to do squats or deadlifts twice a week... Maybe on Sunday?

2) dropping my squat weight way back to maybe 185 and doing the 20 rep death set thing again. Which would go well with twice a week.

...Or maybe doing 3 working sets of 5. Like the 5x5, but with 3 warmup sets.

I am going to keep doing the military press twice a week for maybe the next month or so and see how it goes.

Thursday 5-16-13 at the YMCA/Home

Axle Military Press - 75 x 5, 100 x 3, 125 x 3, 145 x 2 (5 sets)

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 365 x 3, 395 x 2 (5 sets)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x nope. 55 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x nope. 57.5 x 2 (4 sets) 57.5 x 1.

Today was alright. Obiviously I've dropped my weights back a bit, but it went okay for Military Press and Deadlift.... what frustrates me is the Hub. Ugh. I already knew that this job wipes out my back and so my deadlift numbers and squat numbers would go down. But the hub is a new thing. It doesn't seem to affect thickbar strength too much, but the Hub is what I would call "finger intensive" and at the end of the work day, my fingers are feeling fatigued. So it didn't go so hot. I think what I've learned here is that maybe I need to move the Hub to the weekend, and put something else in its place for today. Anvil, maybe. I'll test this out next weekend.

Also, I've put all the standard plates I have on the Holle dumbbell and just left it sitting like that in the garage. I don't know what the dumbell itself weighs, but I have 105 in plates on it now... as I get more, I'll gradually put more on it. What I've been doing basically is just popping out a couple lifts in passing, not seriously working on it. Its not heavy, but I get a feel for it. Started to do the same thing with grippers too. Just pop out a few closes (not attempting heavy or anything) in passing, just to keep a feel for em. Using them more like a "civilian". haha.

Actually, I get real bored a work. Was thinking maybe I'd bring a couple with me sometime and hit em on my break...

Hopefully I'll get a day off soon and I can talk to the machinist about the orb handle (see other thread...)

Also, will start throwing in another lower body lift on sunday... either squats or deadlifts. Not sure which...

If you could choose which one to do twice a week, which would it be and why?

Could also alternate weeks with them, I suppose.

Thursday 5-16-13 at the YMCA/Home

Axle Military Press - 75 x 5, 100 x 3, 125 x 3, 145 x 2 (5 sets)

Deadlifts - 135 x 5, 225 x 5, 315 x 3, 365 x 3, 395 x 2 (5 sets)

Hub -

Left - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 50 x 3, 57.5 x nope. 55 x 2 (5 sets)

Right - 35 x 3, 45 x 3, 52.5 x 3, 60 x nope. 57.5 x 2 (4 sets) 57.5 x 1.

Today was alright. Obiviously I've dropped my weights back a bit, but it went okay for Military Press and Deadlift.... what frustrates me is the Hub. Ugh. I already knew that this job wipes out my back and so my deadlift numbers and squat numbers would go down. But the hub is a new thing. It doesn't seem to affect thickbar strength too much, but the Hub is what I would call "finger intensive" and at the end of the work day, my fingers are feeling fatigued. So it didn't go so hot. I think what I've learned here is that maybe I need to move the Hub to the weekend, and put something else in its place for today. Anvil, maybe. I'll test this out next weekend.

Also, I've put all the standard plates I have on the Holle dumbbell and just left it sitting like that in the garage. I don't know what the dumbell itself weighs, but I have 105 in plates on it now... as I get more, I'll gradually put more on it. What I've been doing basically is just popping out a couple lifts in passing, not seriously working on it. Its not heavy, but I get a feel for it. Started to do the same thing with grippers too. Just pop out a few closes (not attempting heavy or anything) in passing, just to keep a feel for em. Using them more like a "civilian". haha. EDIT: I used to do something similar with pushups and bodyweight squats. Just drop and pop of 50 or so of them at a time, which eventually added up to a couple thousand a day.

Actually, I get real bored a work. Was thinking maybe I'd bring a couple with me sometime and hit em on my break...

Hopefully I'll get a day off soon and I can talk to the machinist about the orb handle (see other thread...)

Also, will start throwing in another lower body lift on sunday... either squats or deadlifts. Not sure which...

If you could choose which one to do twice a week, which would it be and why?

Could also alternate weeks with them, I suppose.

Edited by Mephistopholes

Actually, doing that with Chokered grippers might not be a bad idea... Open it up a couple milimeteres every few weeks as I get used to it.... Hmmmmmm