Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Holy freakin crap John... Your numbers are just plain scary I don't even know what to say... I think youre on to something w/ all those isometric holds, i just dont understand how are able recover so quickly with these tough workouts and the frequency. Hope you're ready to write more books!! Looks like you got it pretty much figured out, I'm all ears/eyes

Just wanna add every once in a while someone will inspire me to get serious about my training once again... Glass, Juha, Chris James.. Most of the time Kody Burns... And now you brother. I'm in a big relocation with little access to any grip stuff but I'm gonna work what I can and get serious. You're on a short list of dudes that inspire my training

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Yeah john! This is amazing. BUT...not surprising to me. The numbers that you put up with the TTK are mind boggling to anyone with some experience using one. The fact that you're doing reps with 50, 60, 70 lbs on that thing one handed just go to show that your thumb strength is pretty much world class. I figured it would translate very quickly to the other pinch lifts. Now as for 100+ on hub, I cannot possibly imagine what that weight feels like in the hand.

A few points of interest here.

-make sure you lock out the weight completely for the contest day.

-The fact that you can pull 120+ on this thing and people are like, congratulations instead of "you're cheating!" Really goes to show that your reputation and character are just as elite as your strength. You're a modest gentleman (no homo) and it's always awesome when someone who deserves recognition gets it. Congrats man and stay healthy till the 26th!

I'll keep everything all that in mind.

Holy freakin crap John... Your numbers are just plain scary I don't even know what to say... I think youre on to something w/ all those isometric holds, i just dont understand how are able recover so quickly with these tough workouts and the frequency. Hope you're ready to write more books!! Looks like you got it pretty much figured out, I'm all ears/eyes

Just wanna add every once in a while someone will inspire me to get serious about my training once again... Glass, Juha, Chris James.. Most of the time Kody Burns... And now you brother. I'm in a big relocation with little access to any grip stuff but I'm gonna work what I can and get serious. You're on a short list of dudes that inspire my training

I'm very honored to be included within that list of people.

I'm really giving credit where credit is due and it has to do with this experimental program I've created. It was designed only for hand grippers and was the method by which I was able to close the MM3. While doing the program through the first time, I went from 150 lb gripper to 184 lbs in only 6-8 weeks. I wondered if it could do the same for other grip tools and the King Kong lifts were just the thing to test it out on and see if I could just improve my numbers by a little, but I never could assume what I've done. It really has blown me away. I'm glad I haven't been called a fake because I'm willing to prove I can do this at King Kong.

• Like 1

Just been busy and forgot to log. Here's the last 3 training sessions. Everything will be combined without having to draw out.

King Kong Training 9/28/2014...9/30/2014...10/04/2014

Euro Pinch: 7x5 secs - 72.1 lbs with 60# b.t.....5x5 secs - 78.3# with 60# b.t....77.4# x4

Thick Bar: 5x5 secs -180.2# with 70# b.t....180.2# with 70# b.t.....3x2 - 206.1 #

Hub: 9x5 secs - 108.2# with 50# b.t....8x5 secs - 114.1# with 70# b.t.....6x2 - 100.4#

Anvil Trainer: 5x5 secs -202.1# with 50# b.t....5x5 secs - 170.6# with 70# b.t....182.6# x4

TTK: 5x5 secs -76.4#...4x5 secs -70.8#...3x5 secs - 72.2#

What are you putting in your Cheerios?

Mike Sharkey asked me the same question when I hit 122.4 lbs on the hub. Really have no answer to your question at this time; I've just been experimenting with concepts from 4 different methods and its working.

I like your inquisitiveness and willingness to train outside the box. It is obviously paying off for you. It is rare that someone comes along and blows the status quo to pieces and changes what grip vets believe is possible. I'm expecting you to make some big noise at the Kong.

• Like 2

10/08/2014 King Kong Training)

Pinch Block: 6x5 seconds - 115 lbs

Thick Bar/Rotating Handle: 6x5 seconds - 188 lbs

Hub: 6x5 seconds - 115 lbs

Anvil Trainer: 4x5 seconds - 210 lbs

TTK: 4x5 seconds - 70 lbs

Pony Clamp: 4x10 seconds - Index-Middle/Ring-Pinkie

Wrist Curl: 2x20 seconds - 70 lbs, forward/reverse

Sorry for the all caps, using my phone

Pinch Block: 6x5 seconds - 115 lbs (ONE HAND???)

Anvil Trainer: 4x5 seconds - 210 lbs (IRONMIND NEW STYLE LBH??)

Sorry for the all caps, using my phone

Pinch Block: 6x5 seconds - 115 lbs (ONE HAND???)

Anvil Trainer: 4x5 seconds - 210 lbs (IRONMIND NEW STYLE LBH??)

Was one hand lifting, went to a gym today, didn't feel like taking the euro with me and just brought my Ironmind Pinch block. The Anvil Trainer is made by Delmar Carter. I haven't had the chance to touch a LBH that IM sells.

Did not have time invest and kept everything around 3 sets. Also cut out the Anvil lift for tonight.

Also did a few singles for fun on my adjustable RB gripper. Hit level 7-7 (181 lbs) and just missed closing it at level 7-8 (194 lbs); wasn't expecting to hit those numbers so well, surprising that I closed 7-7 as a joke, I'm going to love getting back to grippers and see where my program can take me with them. I should mention that I've just cut grippers out until King Kong is over.

10/11/2014 King Kong Training)

Euro Pinch: 3x5 seconds - 66.7 lbs with 50 lb band tension

Thick Bar: 3x5 seconds - 153.7 lbs with 100 lb band tension

Hub: 3x5 seconds - 103.8 lbs with 100 lb band tension

Going to not compete at the 93kg weight class but go for 105kg (thought I only had 4 lbs to lose but was actually at 225 lbs). Been taking it easy as my back has been acting up the last week. Thumb went numb while training the hub; took it easy with what I could do.

10/15/2014 King Kong Training)

Euro Pinch: 6x5 seconds - 82.8 lbs with 60 lb band tension

Thick Bar: 6x5 seconds - 204.5 lbs with 60 lb band tension

Hub: 8x5 seconds - 117 lbs with 60 lb band tension (thumb went numb on the right hand so stopped after the 8th attempt)

Anvil Trainer: 6x5 seconds - 175.8 lbs

TTK: 4x5 seconds - 76.6 lbs

Lever: 4x5 seconds - 9 lbs, forward/reverse

Extensor: 5x20 seconds - red/red/blue bands combined

Just an update

Going to be taking it easy in relation to the King Kong until the 25th. May only do a few lifts here and there; if I do anything it will be to check technique, attempt some grippers, etc.

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing those numbers. You're gonna freak some people out I'm thinking... Good luck

I don't know if I'll freak people out but it will be exciting to see what other people will do that I can't.

Been taking it easy the last couple days. Hit one final training session for KK Wednesday, had mixed results. Right now it's more mental considering this will be the first grip contest I'll be going to tomorrow; right now I have no clue what numbers I'm going to attempt, only time will tell. It's going to be interesting to meet the guys there.

Until King Kong is over I'm going to save my energy and just do my thing tomorrow.

• Like 2

Just wish I could see this in person.

Make sure your hub lifts are documented according to IM standards. Get good videos and photos... Hoping to see your record on the IM site man.

• Like 1

Just wish I could see this in person.

Wish you could make it and see what you can do. Maybe next year.

Make sure your hub lifts are documented according to IM standards. Get good videos and photos... Hoping to see your record on the IM site man.

Getting my camera charged. I've trained as much as I can, now it is the waiting game.

• Like 1

Don't be nervous bro, just go and have a good time doing what you love and everything else will fall into place. Good luck today!

Good luck John! Record breaking time!

Don't be nervous bro, just go and have a good time doing what you love and everything else will fall into place. Good luck today!

Thanks guys; had a blast today. Had a few good and bad attempts.

• Like 1

Finally posting the numbers I was able to produce on Saturday.

10/25/2014 King Kong Results)

One hand Euro: 35.81 kg
One hand Axle: 82.07 kg
Hub: 43.02 kg
Little Big Horn: 81.51 kg
  • Like 3

Finally posting the numbers I was able to produce on Saturday.

10/25/2014 King Kong Results)

One hand Euro: 35.81 kg
One hand Axle: 82.07 kg
Hub: 43.02 kg
Little Big Horn: 81.51 kg

Congratulations on a strong first comp and on being an official world record holder!

• Like 1

What is the problem with your WR? Apparently Ironmind has another WR which is actually lower than your achievement?

Edit: nevermind. I think I know where this will go to. You did a fine lift however dude!

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1