Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Took a week off from everything. While messing around during my warm up, wanted to see where I am at with my right hand and closed my 198 lb rated Grand Elite. I have no clue if this was a freak moment or not. The gripper closed up like a joke. I did not get it on video as I didn't think it would matter or happen but I'm in disbelief about it happening. Just going to keep at it until I can really get a good video of it happening.

1/18/2015 Grip Workout)

Homemade Extended Handle: 4x5 secs - 251 lb rated pro

Practice Set: 4x5 secs - 205 lb rated Super Elite

Grip Machine: 4x5 secs - 310 lbs

Mini Pony Clamp: 4x10 secs

2 Finger Lift: 4x2 - 152 lbs, index-middle/ring-pinkie

Lever: 3x5 secs - 9 lbs, forward/reverse

Extensors: 4x10 secs - red/blue bands combined.

John-

If you don't mind me asking, how are you using the grip machine...and what kind are you using?

When my grip machine is added to the mix, it always seems to help.

I don't mind. I'm currently using the grip machine made by Warren Tetting. I have the handles set to 36mm. The way I'm using mine, I don't stand in front but to the side and place my hands directly in the center, my reason for this I feel it using the full extent of the weight because it can feel a difference if you place your hands at different lengths along the handles. I attempt to close it with with both hands in the same manner as a hand gripper.

I don't know what's more badass between the 198# gripper close or the Red and Blue bands together for extensors! Strong as hell man!

I was actually using both the reds and a blue all combined, I had to stop because it was starting to feel weird.

Starting to get a little behind, but that can happen when you're doing something everyday. Didn't go overboard. Skin is a little raw right now but still feeling good. Broke out the IM Hub to play around with and see what it felt like to use again since King Kong.

1/19/2015 Grip Workout)

Homemade Extended Handle: 3x3-4 secs - 251 lb rated Pro

Practice Set: 3x3-4 secs - 205.4 lb rated SE

Grip Machine: 3x3-4 secs - 310 lbs

Pony Clamp: 4x10 secs - Thumb/index-middle/ring-pinky

Extensors: 4x10 secs - red/blue bands combined

1/20/2015 Grip Workout)

Homemade Extended Handle: 3x5 secs - 251 lb rated Pro

Practice Set: 3x5 secs - 205.4 lb rated SE

Grip Machine: 3x5 secs - 310 lbs

Hub: 8x5 secs - 41.6 lbs (this was done for fun and not seeing how much I can currently lift)

Glob: 4x5 secs - 25 lbs

Pony Clamp: 5x10 secs - thumb/index-middle/ring-pinky

Extensors: 4x10 secs - red/red/blue bands combined.

Brought out the 24kg kettlebell tonight. Worked endurance, haven't done this kind of workload for a long time (maybe since 2008). Letting everyone know that I'm not writing out the number of sets I did only the total from what I reached by the end of it. Forgot to mention that I was going to attempt the swings with a 40kg bell but that started getting ugly fast.

1/20-21/2015 Workout)

Swings: 24kg Kettlebell x 520 reps total

Bodyweight Squat: 55 reps

Dumbbell military press: 48.1 lbs x 56 reps total

Dumbbell Curl: 48.1 lbs x 48 reps total

• 1 month later...
First real grip training in over a month. Closed my 198 lb rated Grand Elite Yesterday for 2 singles. Decided to really work pinch today and broke out the IM Hub for the first time since King Kong; had no expectation of what I could lift on it and just went for what I wanted and was able to hit the 130's (nearly 60 kg) for the first time. Attempted to get the lift on camera but the dang battery died right as I made the attempt. Gave the IM Pinch Block a go and didn't think 130+ lbs would come off the ground.

2/23/2015 Grip Work)

Negative: 3x5 secs - 251 lb Rated Pro

Prcatice Set: 3x5 secs - 205.4 lb SE

IM Hub: 3x1 - 104.2 lb...2x1 - 131.6 lb

IM Pinch Block: 3x1 - 134.6 lb one hand...3x2 - 109.5 lbs one hand

Pony Clamp: 5x10 secs - thumb/index-middle/ring-pinkie

Wrist Roller: 3x20 - 130 lbs

Extensors: 4x10 secs - Red Band

• Like 1

First real grip training in over a month. Closed my 198 lb rated Grand Elite Yesterday for 2 singles. Decided to really work pinch today and broke out the IM Hub for the first time since King Kong; had no expectation of what I could lift on it and just went for what I wanted and was able to hit the 130's (nearly 60 kg) for the first time. Attempted to get the lift on camera but the dang battery died right as I made the attempt. Gave the IM Pinch Block a go and didn't think 130+ lbs would come off the ground.

2/23/2015 Grip Work)

How seasoned is your pinch block? You using superglue?

• Like 2

2/23/2015 Grip Work)

How seasoned is your pinch block? You using superglue?

It's well seasoned. I have it to the same point as my hub on holding chalk. As for the superglue, I haven't found the right brand for me so I'll stick with chalk for now lol.

How did you go about seasoning your hub? I have two; one takes chalk much better than the other.

With the hub and pinch block I used the information from this video

• Like 2

Simple grip work today.

2/25/2015 Grip Work)

Gripper: 4x2 - 180 lb Elite RH/167 lb Elite LH, mms closes

TTK: 2x10 secs - 56.6 lbs

Pony Clamp: 4x10 secs - thumb/index-middle/ring-pinkie

• 2 weeks later...
Arm, back, neck and head are hurting bad today; just couldn't push it much so I only wanted to worked grippers with light pinching. Going to come up with a plan to start working thick bar and euro.

3/08/2015 Grip Work)

Negative: 5x5 secs - 288 lb World Class

Practice set: 5x5 secs - 180 lb Elite

Mixing things up today. Wasn't at my best mentally but still gave everything a go. Need a little work getting back into the groove with thick bar.

3/11/2015 Grip)

IM Pinch Block: 5x1 - 81.8 lbs

2 in Homemade Dumbbell: 3x1 - 147 lbs

Old Rolling Thunder: 8x1 - 175 lb, got 190 lbs but lowered the weight

Hub: 10x1 - 87.1 lbs

Anvil Trainer: 10x1 - 174 lb (form sucked and have to get back into the swing on thing with this thing)

TTK: 5x10 secs - 50.5 lbs

Pony Clamp: 10x10 secs - T/I-M/R-P

Lever: 3x5 secs - 12 lbs, F/R

Extensors: 5x10 secs - red band

Mixing things up today. Wasn't at my best mentally but still gave everything a go. Need a little work getting back into the groove with thick bar.

3/11/2015 Grip)

Anvil Trainer: 10x1 - 174 lb (form sucked and have to get back into the swing on thing with this thing)

Working with TTК - with one hand or two?

3/11/2015 Grip)

Working with TTК - with one hand or two?

I always do two hands.

• Like 1

Broke out my axle bar for the first time since I got it. This is only the 3rd or 4th time I've ever done actual axle thick bar work. Would have gotten more weight on the bar but wasn't feeling good because of some depression issues I've had lately.

3/13/2015 Workout)

Axle: 280x1...301.2x1...317.3x1

Rolling Thunder: 144.8x1...190.6x1...200.9x1x1x1x1x1

Dumbbell Curl: 4x3 - 50.6 lbs

Dumbbell Wrist curl: 4x15 - 50.6 lbs, F/R

3/14/2015 Workout)

Rolling Thunder: 5x1 - 190.6 lbs (didn't warm up and went right for what I had loaded on the pin)

Dumbbell Military Press: 2x1 - 102.3 lbs

Dumbbell Curl: 5x3 - 50.6 lbs

Poundstone Curls: 180 reps with a 45 lb bar

Ab Wheel: 2x5 reps...5x5 secs

TTK: 6x20 reps...6x5 secs - 42 lbs (reps with two hand, holds with one hand)

Beat from yesterday. Made a trip to St. Louis, have a new stove, then went to the zoo and walked around for 4 miles. This was all done on 1.5 hours of sleep from the night before.

3/17/2015 Workout)

Pistol Box Squat: 4x5 - 227.8 lbs bodyweight, followed by muscle control

1H Kettlbell Deadlift: 4x5 - 88 lbs

Dumbbell Curl: 4x3 - 59.6 lb, PDA Rocky Handle

Military Press: 4x3 - 59.6 lbs, PDA Rocky Handle

Gripper: 4x5 - GHP7

Pony Clamp: 3x5 secs - t/i-m/r-p

Wrist Curl: 3x5 secs - 59.6 lbs, PDA Rocky Handle

• 1 month later...

Haven't been at my best for a while; last 2 months hit me hard both mentally and physically. My arm, back, head pains really caused me to stop training grip and attempting to lift except here and there. Things have calmed down and just starting to take it easy, just getting back into the swing of things. I'll post later on what I did today.

• Like 1

Should mention that I'm coming off from a big layoff because of the stress that got the better of me. Have to get the feel again for most of this once more.

5/08/2015 Workout and Grip)

ATG Squats: 135x5,5...237.6 x 2x3

Dumbbell Curl: 40.5x5x5

French Press: 40.5x10x10

Gripper: (RH) 180 Elite x3x3x3...(LH) 167 Elite x3x3x3

IM Pinch Block: 110.3 x2x2x2

Pony clamp: (Thumb) 4x5 secs...(index-middle/ring-pinkie) 4x10

Wrist Roller: 125.3 x10x10x10x10 (forward)/ 10x10x10x10x10 (reverse)

Giving 5/3/1 a shot for the next couple months (or year). I'm only going to be focusing on improving my squat and deadlift, maybe accessory movements to help with what I'm doing; I'm taking out a regular barbell and switching it for my axle, this will only be done for deadlifts. I'm looking for a way to improve this lift but doing it slowly to build up. If the axle interferes at any point with my gripper workouts it will be the only reason I go back to a normal barbell. I'm not including warm ups and just noting the main movements.

Week 1) 5/3/1 and Grip 5/11/2015

Squat: 163.4x5/188.5x5/212.4x6

Axle Deadlift: 196.2x5/227x5/248.2x7

Iso Crush W/GHP9: 4X3 secs

TTK: 72.7x4x4x4 secs

Wrist Roller: 61.9x5x5 secs (F/R)

• 2 weeks later...

Been lagging on keeping this log updated; still attempting to find the time to lift and work grip, just going through a dark period. Anyhow, just did a few max lifts and called it a day.

5/25/2015 Workout) (There was no warm ups, I just went for max attempts)

Dumbbell Deadlift (1.5 in handle) - 205.4#x2x2

Rolling Thunder - 222.2#x2x2

Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 130#x3x3

Wishing all the best to you John. Depression obviously sucks big time. Its a dark place to be in, keep pushing and don't be afraid to take help from others. I hope you can get the help you want.

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Depression sucks John. I've been there. Best advice I can give is... Walking. Do a 30min walk everyday no matter what. Humans are walking animals. Walking relaxes the mind and body like nothing else. Depression is about things coming to a grinding stop (in your head), walking gets things moving in every sense of the word.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, it's been really tough time I've been in the hospital the last couple days; had to get put on some new meds and hopefully everything works out right.

Hey guys. Sorry to report this but the only thing I've really been doing is walking here lately because of certain events in my life I've stopped lifting and because of my arm injury I've also stopped working grip (sometimes I can't even close a #2 because my arm hurts that bad). I've been put on some medication that's really messing with me bad. As bad as it messes with me I believe it's the best thing for me right now because of the way I've been for so many years; also seeking help for other problems that have gotten the better of me as well. So for now I'm just out of the curve of it all. I'm not leaving the grip world, I just have to rebuild up myself when I can become stable again.

This is just a very dark period of my life that I'm having to overcome.