Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Wasn't planning to work grip for at least another week. Wanted to take some more time off, figure out where I want to take things grip-wise. Going to focus less on grippers and more thick bar type training; found an cheap axle bar (just have to figure out where my double overhand strength is at, compared to my one hand lift at KK). King Kong really took it out of me but gave me a good understanding of how I should work things. Just going to train the C.T.D. Challenge for the next 6 weeks for fun and what I can do with it.

11/01/2014 Grip) C.T.D. Training (everything is worked at 80% of max effort)

Gripper: 6x2 - 184 lb rated BTR GHP8

Hub: 6x2 - 99.1 lbs

Old Handle Rolling Thunder: 6x2 - 171.3 lbs

Wrist curl: 2x20 - 92. lbs

Extensors: 4x10 seconds - Red/Red/Blue bands combined

You'll be dangerous to the top 93/105 class guys once you round out your game. You have the strength just gotta teach the hands to pinch, axle is less cerebral. I can't imagine your overall thumb strength; hubbing 100+ routinely. Pinch emphasizes the thumbs but wrist strength and hand positioning are also huge factors. I look forward to seeing you take off in the contests.

• Like 2

Planned to hit grip tonight but had to stop because of my right hand thumb. Been loosing feeling it a lot the last couple of days; think I could have caused some damage while training for King Kong. Just going take some time off until it heals.

• Like 1

Thumb felt good for the first time in days, so I thought I do a little pinch training with my glob weights (cut from a 50 lb York Dumbbell).

11/10/2014 Pinch)

Glob Lifting: 10x10 - 25.3 right, 25.2 left

Here's a video attempt of me just playing around with them.

• Like 2

Going to start getting a little more busy in my life with my woman in the next couple of weeks (moving and fixing up a house, looking for a new job; current one isn't cutting it anymore as the pay sucks!), I have no clue as to when I'll be able to update this log anymore, so for right now, this may be my last post on the gripboard for a while. I'm still going to attempt to maintain my strength and grip levels and continue to improve what I've done. I just won't have the free time to post anything for a while after today.

11/11/2014 Grip Work)

Homemade Extended Handle Negative: 3x5 seconds - 251 lb rated Pro

Practice Set Gripper: 3x5 secs - 184 lb BTR GHP8

Glob Pinch: 8x5 seconds - 25.3 lbs

Pony Clamp: 10x20 seconds - Ring and Pinkie

Lever: 6x5 seconds - 12 lbs, forward/reverse

Extensors: 7x10 seconds - Red/red/blue bands

• Like 1

Enjoy focusing on all of those life changes and good luck. Look forward to seeing you post big numbers when you return.

Best of luck brother. I hope you find the job of your dreams to help support yourself and the woman of your dreams!

• 1 month later...

Been a couple of weeks since my last posting. Life has gotten the better of me, actually had to stop training because of an injury I suffered at work one night; most of the time my right arm is in pain, getting better as the weeks progress but still need more time and to start working on specific movements to help the healing process but I'm starting to gain strength back (came close to having to give up grip, I'm thankful that is not the case). Also moved (fixing up a house that is over 100 years old, fun but a pain in my neck).

Mostly just been doing light muscle control and some gripper closes. Going to attempt to get back into training next week and focus on body weight movements.

• Like 3

Good to see you back bro. Got to stay on that hub record!

The record I believe should go to someone else. I proved what I had at the time and it should now be another person who takes the record.

I'm actually burnt out on the hub. I don't even know what I could pull right now. Pinch wise, I want to start working on 2hp for the euro.

128/28/2014 Grip Workout)

Homemade Extended handle Eccentric: 4x3-5 seconds - 251 rated Pro

Practice Set: 4 attempts with 3-5 seconds holds - 184 rated Super Elite

Thor Grip Machine: 6x5 seconds - 282 lbs

Pony Clamp: 3x10 seconds - Thumb/Index-middle/ring-pinkie

Lever: 2x20 - forward/reverse

Extensors: 4x10 seconds - red/red/blue bands combined

Switched everything with crushing grip after each attempt.

John-

Do you have a setup to put the extended handle in the wall?

I do not have any set up at this point I have a few things in mind but I take the gripper and push it against part of my leg and cheat it down as much as I can.

12/29/2014 grip workout)

Homemade Extended Handle: 4x5 secs - 251 lb rated pro

Practice Set w/overcrush: 4x5 secs - 174 lb rated coc 3.5

Grip Machine: 8x5 secs - 282 lbs

euro pinch: 5x5 - 135 lbs set to 47mm

pony clamp: 5x10 secs

2 finger dumbbell lift: 5x5 secs - 86 lbs index-middle/ring-pinkie

Extensors: 6x10 secs - red/red/blue bands

Worked reps as a madman tonight. Set a goal to get 100 reps between both a hand gripper and grip machine. Hands are swollen to a degree but feel good.

12/30/2014 Grip Workout)

Gripper: 50 reps - 174 lb Rated 3.5, mms

Grip Machine: 50 reps - 282 lbs

Euro Pinch: 21 reps - 135 lbs, 58mm

Pony Clamp:

2 finger dumbbell lift: 4x2 - 86 lbs, index-middle/ring-pinkie

lever: 2x30 - 9 lbs

Extensors: 4x10 seconds - red/red/blue bands

• Like 1

Set a crazy goal of getting 100 reps with a 3.5 tonight. Took 2 hours of intense effort to make it happen. Hand it tore up some, but that could also be from the fact I've done grip for the last 5 days straight.

12/31/2014 Grip Workout)

Gripper: 20x5 - 174 lb rated 3.5

Pony Clamp: 5x5 secs - thumb/index-middle/ring-pinkie

Extensors: 5x10 secs - red/red/blue bands

• Like 1

New goals for 2015: 1) 200 lbs (or more) on 2 hand pinching, 2) close a #4, 3) maybe do another contest. Right now that is all that I can think of for goals. Got in a nice gripper the other day, a single stamp #4 coc. Also found out that I'm getting closer to getting to the #4 strength and brought my 198 lb rated Grand Elite down to 10mm, this was just fooling around and not being serious or warmed up and just went for it, really just a matter of time before it happens. Been lazy on updating the log; going to combine the last 3 days together so I won't have to write everything out in different posts.

1/05-07/2015 Week 2 Grip workout)

Eccentrics:4/4/3x5 secs - 251 lb rated Pro

Practice Set: 4/4/3x5 secs - 198 lb rated Grand Elite

Grip Machine: 8/8/6x5 secs - 303.2 lbs

Pony Clamp: 10/5/5x10 secs - Thumb/index-middle/ring-pinkie

2 Hand Pinch: 5x5 secs - 184 lbs

2 Finger lift: 4/4x5 secs - 142.1 lbs/150 lbs

Lever: 3/4/3x5 secs - 9 lbs/forward-reverse

Extensors: 4/4/4x10 secs - red/red/blue bands combined.

Wasn't feeling really up to hitting the training for tonight, said screw it and hit it hard. Arm is still coming along great; slight pains but nothing to concern me.

1/08/2015 Workout and Grip)

Kettlebell Swings: 2x10 - 40kg

kettlebell Clean: 2x3- 24kg

Dumbbell Hammer Curl: 3x2 - 71 lbs

Dumbbell Military Press: 3x3 - 71 lbs

Pistol Squats: 2x2 - bodyweight

Gripper: 6x5 - 174 lb rated 3.5, mms attempts

2 hand pinch: 5x1 - 184.3 lbs

New goals for 2015: 1) 200 lbs (or more) on 2 hand pinching, 2) close a #4, 3) maybe do another contest. Right now that is all that I can think of for goals. Got in a nice gripper the other day, a single stamp #4 coc. Also found out that I'm getting closer to getting to the #4 strength and brought my 198 lb rated Grand Elite down to 10mm, this was just fooling around and not being serious or warmed up and just went for it, really just a matter of time before it happens. Been lazy on updating the log; going to combine the last 3 days together so I won't have to write everything out in different posts.

Good to see your back at things and seeting goals!

Good to see your back at things and seeting goals!

Thanks. I might have a few more things to come up with for this year as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a week off from everything. While messing around during my warm up, wanted to see where I am at with my right hand and closed my 198 lb rated Grand Elite. I have no clue if this was a freak moment or not. The gripper closed up like a joke. I did not get it on video as I didn't think it would matter or happen but I'm in disbelief about it happening. Just going to keep at it until I can really get a good video of it happening.

1/18/2015 Grip Workout)

Practice Set: 4x5 secs - 205 lb rated Super Elite

Grip Machine: 4x5 secs - 310 lbs

Mini Pony Clamp: 4x10 secs

2 Finger Lift: 4x2 - 152 lbs, index-middle/ring-pinkie

Lever: 3x5 secs - 9 lbs, forward/reverse

Extensors: 4x10 secs - red/blue bands combined.

• Like 3

Took a week off from everything. While messing around during my warm up, wanted to see where I am at with my right hand and closed my 198 lb rated Grand Elite. I have no clue if this was a freak moment or not. The gripper closed up like a joke. I did not get it on video as I didn't think it would matter or happen but I'm in disbelief about it happening.

That sounds pretty much how my body works also hahaha well congrats man! That is a huge milestone. You are getting freakishly strong mister.

I don't know what's more badass between the 198# gripper close or the Red and Blue bands together for extensors! Strong as hell man!

Took a week off from everything. While messing around during my warm up, wanted to see where I am at with my right hand and closed my 198 lb rated Grand Elite. I have no clue if this was a freak moment or not. The gripper closed up like a joke. I did not get it on video as I didn't think it would matter or happen but I'm in disbelief about it happening. Just going to keep at it until I can really get a good video of it happening.

1/18/2015 Grip Workout)

Practice Set: 4x5 secs - 205 lb rated Super Elite

Grip Machine: 4x5 secs - 310 lbs

Mini Pony Clamp: 4x10 secs

2 Finger Lift: 4x2 - 152 lbs, index-middle/ring-pinkie

Lever: 3x5 secs - 9 lbs, forward/reverse

Extensors: 4x10 secs - red/blue bands combined.

John-

If you don't mind me asking, how are you using the grip machine...and what kind are you using?

When my grip machine is added to the mix, it always seems to help.