Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

We're pulling for ya man. Hope you heal up too man - how'd you mess up your arm if you don't mind me asking?

We're pulling for ya man. Hope you heal up too man - how'd you mess up your arm if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. I hurt my arm back in November when I did a paper route. The bundles the company had given us that night were huge; they were in 20's, weighting 25-30 lbs each and the bundle size was 27 inches and each paper when rolled came out to 4 inches. Needless to say, my grip was pushed beyond endurance strength. What caused the injury was my own moment of stupidity for not thinking about safety. I pulled each bundle up from the floorboard with a straight arm from a sitting position and my right arm gave out, I actually heard something snap right above in the elbow area. Some days the pain is hardly there but when it hits, it's the second worse pain in my whole life. I've been using Jedd Johnson's program "Fixing Elbow Pain" but I have a long road to being at my best again.

Hang in there John.

Thanks man I'll do my best.

We're pulling for you John!

I've been following your progress for a long time John. Get well man.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wish you best of recovery. I enjoy reading your post/log. 298 bbge and 100 rep with a 175 3.5 is wow. I really wish you health and speeding recovery from whatever problems you're facing

• Like 1

Wish you best of recovery. I enjoy reading your post/log. 298 bbge and 100 rep with a 175 3.5 is wow. I really wish you health and speeding recovery from whatever problems you're facing

Thanks Alawadhi, just taking it one moment at a time. When I start training again, I'll have to build up to what I was doing.

• Like 1

Still haven't been doing great because of my arm, and what's also plaguing me but I just said screw it and did some grip work tonight (or this morning if you want to get technical). I'm not going to push things right now, just rebuilding what's broken.

Did some test closes and shut my rated 184 lb Super Elite right hand, only barely for a second. Left hand is at a 167 lb rated Elite. I have a little ways before hitting my max of 198 lb again, but I'm sure with a few months I could get back there once more.

6/20/2015 Grip Work

Rep Gripper: 4x10 - LH a rated 138 lb GHP6...RH a rated 149 GHP7

Ironmind Pinch Block: 4x2 - 100.6 lbs

Ironmind Hub: 3x1 - 77.5 lbs

TTK: 7x5 secs - 73.3 lbs

Reverse Curl: 3x5 - 71 lbs

• Like 3

73lbs on the ttk? Man that's so strong. I recently got the ttk not more than a week back and this is my first dynamic thumb training (do blob pinch which is static but rarely used to do pony clamp and not in a serious way). Man my thumb pads are burning. But hey I thought I'll warm up with twenty pounds with my right hand and do reps with 30 pounds. Man I was wrong. I managed to do 8 reps in 5 sets with 20 pounds only using two hands. But man 73 is no joke by any means. I can lift my 45 pounds york too. Congrats on this feat while you are injured

• Like 1

Did some thick bar work with a rolling thunder today after waking up. Kept it around a sub max weight to work reps, then holds.

6/24/2015 Rolling Thunder)

Rolling Thunder: 142 lbs x 15 (LH & RH)....2x5 secs - 153 lbs (LH & RH)

TTK: 5x20 - 62.3 lbs (2 hands)

Curl: 2x5 - 71 lbs

Reverse Curl: 2x5 - 71 lbs

• Like 1

73.3 on TTK is some crazy stuff!

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun
  • Like 1

7/01/2015 Grip)

I.C. (isometric crush): 5x5 secs - 198 lb Tetting GE

P.S. (practice set): 5x5 - BTR 180 lb 3.5

Glob: 7x5 secs - 25 lbs, sitting down

Pony clamp: 5x10 secs - T/I-M/R-P

Lever: 1x20 - 9 lbs, front and rear

Extensors: 7x10 secs - red and blue band combined

Worked reps until my hands tore open.

7/03/2015 Grip Work)

RW (rep work): 5x2 - RH 184 lb Tetting SE...LH 174 lb 3.5

PSC (power speed closes): 10x3 - Atomgripz 3 band, CCS closes (focused on only swiping the card once and working the end range of the close)

TTK: 3x20 - 63.9 lbs

2 Finger Lift: 3x5 secs - 95.7 lbs, I-M/R-P

Lever: 3x5 - 9 lbs, F/R

Curl: 2x10 - 45 lb axle bar, F/R

Extensors: 3x10 secs - R/B bands combined

• 2 weeks later...

Been busy and had a few things keep me from updating the log.

Just a couple of notes about what's been going on.

Still training; just lazy to post with an update with what I've done.

Took some time to write another book. Not going to link it, just mentioning it as I had set this to be a goal of mine for later this year; didn't expect to get it out when I did.

Going to recycle my current lifting program and start over.

• Like 2

Nice to see you writing another book. I hope you write your way from the #3 to the BBGE. And maybe if you still didn't finish it then close a #4 and write about it in your book. I'll be glad to lend you my #4. I have 2 that are easy (more coming one the way rated but dunno how hard). One is a normal spread #4 which I bought from a reputable member here and is rated at 200 and the other is 2.78 to 2.8 inch spread and easier for sure based on chest crushing them. Definitely you will close it if you were at your 198 BBGE level which I think you can reach there soon. I pay for shipments too.

P.S. I ordered you previous book already and can't wait to read it!

Edit: Damn just saw on amazon.com you already have the book published! Time to buy another book I say :cool

Edited by Alawadhi

7/27/2015 Grip Work)

I.C.: 4x5 seconds - 252 lb Tetting Pro

P.S.G.: 4x5 seconds - 180 Elite/195 MM4/205.4 Tetting SE

Silver Bullet: 2x5 seconds - 167 Tetting Elite, 5.8 lbs

TTK: 5x5 seconds - 55.5 lbs, one hand (felt strange working this)

2 Finger Lift: 5x5 seconds - 95 lbs, I-M/R-P

7/27/2015 Grip Work)

So I'm guessing your hand is feeling a little better??

7/27/2015 Grip Work)

So I'm guessing your hand is feeling a little better??

It's better but it's probably going to be an issue I deal with on and off from now on.

What's I.C. and P.S.G?

Isometric Crush - working an isometric contraction but crushing the crap out of a gripper. It's along the line of an overcrush but not focused on crushing the handles together.

Practice Set Gripper - a gripper designed to work your setting ability.

• Like 1

Wow so you can say you overcrushed a 205 rated se?!

Had a really great grip sessions today. Little to no pain.

8/09/2015 Grip Work)

I.C.- 5x5 secs - 288 lb World Class, cheated down to 30mm

P.S.- 5x5 secs - 195 lb Elite (not closed but brought it down to 20mm)

IM Pinch Block - 6x5 secs - 103.7 lbs, rogue loading pin (12 inches) (using this pin always has a 25-30 lb difference when I attempt the lift when I use the IM pin)

TTK - 6x5 secs - 55.5 lbs, 1H...Almost ripped the thumbs out of the joint doing this with one hand now.

2 Finger life - 6x5 secs - 105.3 lbs, I-M/R-P

• 2 months later...

Arm is still giving me trouble. Also found out I'm going to be a dad. Anyhow, here's last nights workout.

10/14/2015 Workout and Grip)

Deadlift: 312.5x2x2x2

Gripper Rep Work: 3x2 - 180 Elte...3x5 - 149 GHP 7 (Didn't feel strong tonight, had a lot of trouble setting the gripper)

Euro: 173x2x2x2 (2H, 58mm)

IM Hub: 97.3x1/107.6x1/118.5x1 (RH only, didn't really want to train it much)

Wrist Roller: 3x5-10 seconds (F/R)

• Like 3