Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

12/27/2013 Dynamic Rolling Thunder with red resistance band

Rolling Thunder: 4x3 - 100 lbs, at 62% of Max.

I've been thinking of how I will attack my grip for this upcoming year, given it some thought and have found that negatives are something I'm going to be giving up for the next year or two (maybe I'll give Negatives up all together; I don't plan on using them anytime soon), I think it's time I put them aside for now and focus on other development; pinch is what I'm going to be really wanting to give more effort towards, while grip being the main movement. So, this is really my final posting about me using them, if people need help in using them, I'll still give out advice on how to approaching them.

Going to really look at things like 5/3/1 and the Cube Method (and other types of powerlifting methods) to influence how I approach grip training. Been looking at how other people use these methods and how it has worked for them with weight training, and how it will translate over to training the hands.

Wise move John, negatives nearly destroyed my grip aspirations with the resulting tendinitis... i avoid them like the plague

It's time for a change and they're going to be retired from what I was doing. I learned a lot over the years from doing them but the time has come where I position myself in a different way and set new goals.

• 2 weeks later...

1/08/2014) Weights and Grip

Hip Squats: 3x6 - 443.2 lbs

Military Press: 3x5 - 138.2 lbs

Curl: 3x10 - 68.2 lbs

Grip portion of the workout

Rolling Handle: 3x1 - 144.2 lbs. (New handle, very smooth and slick)

Anvil Trainer: 3x1 - 166 lbs

IronMind Hub: 3x1 - 78 lbs (Big time p.r.)

Wrist Roller: 1x50 - 60.9 lbs

Extensors: 4x10 seconds - Red/Blue Bands

I should mention I forgot to write down the results from last week, oh well.

That's some beastly hubbing dude

I looked at my physical training log, I've only done the Hub 4 times since bringing in back into my training, and each time I have added 5.1 lbs for every time I attempt the Max Effort day. Now the question I have to ask, how far can I really go with it?

I looked at my physical training log, I've only done the Hub 4 times since bringing in back into my training, and each time I have added 5.1 lbs for every time I attempt the Max Effort day. Now the question I have to ask, how far can I really go with it?

Hell yeah man. And plus, it wasn't on fresh thumbs. I wonder what you can do if you start with them. Like ironmind says, over 50 you're on the right track, over 60 and you're elite and over 70 they want to hear from you.

I didnt even know you did static thumb work...i had you pegged for more of a dynamic guy.

Hell yeah man. And plus, it wasn't on fresh thumbs. I wonder what you can do if you start with them. Like ironmind says, over 50 you're on the right track, over 60 and you're elite and over 70 they want to hear from you.

I didnt even know you did static thumb work...i had you pegged for more of a dynamic guy.

Yeah, I got really strong from doing nothing but the ttk for a while with nothing but static holds, built up to 71 lbs on it, now I'm looking at powerlifting methods to influence what I do, more Westside Barbell kind of training, I've seen my numbers move quick because of it.

Bet you could turn that thumb strength into a crazy pinch man

That's one of my goals for this year.

Going to deload grip next week and work around 40-50%. If I don't do it next week, it will be the following where I will attempt to break 84-85 lbs on the IM Hub. Only worked grip and pinch last night.

1/09/2014 Close Grip: DE Day

Warm Up: 5x5 - 88 lb Tetting SA

Working Gripper: 9x1 - (R.H.) 184 lb Tetting SE, closed down to 4-7mm....(L.H.) 149 lb GHP 7

2HP: 9x3 - 135 lb

Hit some weights this morning. Should be noted on bench pressing, I suck! This makes only the 3rd time in my life I have ever performed this movement, feels very awkward for the shape of my body. But I'm going to start using it some.

1/10/2014 Workout

Bench Press: 3x5 - 95 lbs

Deadlift: 3x5/3/1 - 315 lbs

Dips: 3x5/3/1 - B.W.

Curl: 3x10 - 75 lbs

I stopped doing conventional barbell bench presses years ago...my rotator cuffs hate them with the fire of a thousand suns.

• Like 1

Really hate I took time off from lifting, have to build back up on some lifts, going to start 5/3/1 program; have to also start watching my weight more. This is going to be a base week finding out where I'm at. Plus, my back was in some pain today. Grip will be done later.

1/13/2014 Workout) (All weights lifted are either +/- their actual numbers given, trained at a gym tonight)

Squats: 3x2 - 227 lbs

Deadlifts: 3x1 - 317 lbs

Jerk Press: 3x1 - 137 lbs

Curl: 5x5 - 67 lbs

Nothing crazy, just took everything easy.

1/13/2014 Grip Work (Everything is considered closed from MMS distance or lifted unless noted)

Warm Up: 5x10 - RB Adjustable, 1-1 setting

Gripper: 4x5 - (R.H.) 149 lb GHP 7....(L.H.) Atomgripz 3 Band

2 Hand Pinch: 4x5 - 119.2 lbs

Sledge Hammer Deadlift: 5x1 - 9 lbs

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done much the last 2 weeks, only been using the Pop's Gripper and a few Kettlebell Snatches. Been busy with other aspects of life, I don't think I'll be posting much for a while and I just need some time off.

• Like 1

Haven't done much the last 2 weeks, only been using the Pop's Gripper and a few Kettlebell Snatches. Been busy with other aspects of life, I don't think I'll be posting much for a while and I just need some time off.

Learning to listen to your body is half the battle. Recharge both the mental and physical batteries. :)

Come back soon brother

• 4 weeks later...
Been almost a month since I last posted on here. I really needed the time away because I had actually pushed myself too much and burnt out; I took note of what I was doing and actually started planning everything out more. I started everything from zero last week and mapped out what I'll be doing for the next 30-40+ weeks for grip (I've really looked at different aspects of Powerlifting and training methods); might use more bodyweight for a few weeks, then reintroduce weights into my system. I've noted where my max crush is it, I'm coming close to getting my 184 lb Super Elite (only 3mm away from the close with the right, left is going to take a little time). Anyhow, here's today's workout and grip.

2/16/2016 Workout) focused more on bw.

Hindu Squats: 2x10

Pistol Squats: 4x2 - 220 lbs b.w. plus 16 kg kettlebell

Pushups: 2x5 - B.W.

1 Arm Pushups: 2x5

Situps: 3x5

Leg Raises: 1x5

Standing Back Bends: 2x5

Side Bends: 2x5

Dynamic Grip) Everything is done for explosive/powerful closes/lifts.

Warm Up: 5x5 - 88 lb Tetting SA, mms

Gripper: 8x1 - 170 lb Tetting Elite, mms both hands

2 hand pinch: 3x2 - 160 lbs

Wrist roller: 3x5 - 156.7 lbs, Forward/Reverse

Nice to see you back at it John. Keep it up!

Glad to be back man.

Good to see you posting again John

• Like 1

I could tell you were done last time we talked...good to have you back and focused, buddy

• Like 1

I could tell you were done last time we talked...good to have you back and focused, buddy

It's good to be back man!

Been very busy the last few days, haven't found time to do much but really attacking the grip. Also invested in a Euro Pinch and was able to use it for the first time today (not use to it yet, will have to spend time to really get my bearing on this sucker). Any how, here's for the Max Effort Day (this was done for maximum attempts with a gripper 10-20 lbs heavier than what I can use) and Rep Day (this is where I attempt to get a total max number of reps totaled from all sets combined).

2/18/2014 Grip) Max Effort
Gripper: 6x1 - 195 lb MM4 Replica, closed to (RH) 15mm (LH) 19mm
2 hand pinch: 6x3 - 134 lbs
Wrist Roller: 5x5 - 161.8 lbs
Extensors: 5x10 seconds - Red/Blue Bands
2/20/2014 Grip) Reps
Pop's Gripper: 20x3 (60 total reps) - Green (top) and Blue (on the bottom) Sorinex Band with 15.2 lbs added
Euro Pinch: 5x3 - 91.4 lbs, 121.6 lbs, 131.8 lbs, set to 48mm (base concepts of what I can do on this device)
TTK: 4x50 - 40.2 lbs (was only attempting to work the thumbs more than what I did on the Euro)

4th day of my current grip cycle: focused on Eccentrics. I know I said I gave them up, but I found if I only do it once a week, I'll have better gains; long as I follow the pattern I'm going with right now.

Also, for the grip, after I finished with the secret weapon, I go to the silver bullet and then to the pop's gripper in that order and consider it as 1 set, rest in-between each attempt and that's when I would use the next item until I reached a total of 3 sets.

2/21/2014 Grip) Eccentrics

Secret Weapon: 3x5 seconds - 216 lb

Silver Bullet: 3x5 seconds - 5.6 lbs, 184 Tetting SE

Pop's Gripper: 3x5 seconds - Sorinex Green (top positions) and Blue (bottom positions) Bands with 18.5 lbs

Euro Pinch: 5x5 seconds - 123.6 lbs

Iso Lever: 5x5 seconds - 12 lbs, F/R

Been sick the last few days but was able to hit grip really good tonight. Was going to check out to see where I'm at currently with my 184 lb SE, but I'll hold off until week 3 to know for certain. Kept everything simple.

2/24/2014 Grip) Week 2: Rep Work

Pop's Gripper: Green and Blue Sorinex Bands, with 5.1 lbs x 55 reps

Euro Pinch: 123.6 lbs x 55 reps.
Next workout will be on Max Effort attempts with my 195 lb MM4 Replica.