Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

Happy birthday John!

Thanks man! Been busy the last few days and finally say this post.

• 3 weeks later...

7/23/2013 Workout (All lifts are considered lifted unless noted; the weights used are not calibrated and will be considered what is noted on the plate).

1) A.T.G. Squats: 3x5 (Warm up weight starting at 135 lbs, working weight 280 lbs)

2) Rack Pulls: 4x5 (Weight at 545 lbs)

3) Dips: 7x5 (B.W. only)

4) Curls: 4x5 (85 lbs)

5) Sit Ups: 2x20 (B.W. only)

6) Leg Lifts 3x5 (B.W. only)

7) Muscle Control 5x10 seconds (way too much to list for this one since this includes all the muscles in the body in different static holds)

Been busy with my girl and haven't had a whole lot of free time to really train anymore; really have to focus on what I'm doing from now on. May have to give up lifting weights for a little bit of time, but mostly the focus will have to be on bodyweight only movements.

I have not been touching grippers and anything grip related since last month, strength in my left hand has gone down a bit, but the right is still hanging in. On good days I can close a 3.5, but like I said in my last post, I really don't have a whole lot of time anymore for working out my grip (or lifting weights) and progress has stopped in my hands (I'm sick of that and I'll find a way to get in more work with less time). I'm still closing #3's with ease each hand. Elites are giving me some trouble lately.

7/25/2013 Grip Workout (Everything is considered closed/lifted unless noted)

Warm Up Gripper: 2x10 (Trainer level Strength)

Working Gripper 1: 1x13 (GHP Level 4) (used mini reps)

Working Gripper 2: 3x3 (GHP Level 6) (Really freaking stiff gripper!)

Strap Hold: 4x5 seconds (Right hand: Tetting GM...Left Hand: Tetting SM, with a 5.1 lbs)

Pony Clamp: 5x5 seconds.

Isometric Lever Hold: 7x5 seconds (9 lbs, held from mid handle)

Didn't really focus too much on a lot of things today and just went for what I could in today's workout.

7/26/2013 Workout (Everything is considered lifted/hit unless noted)

Gym Workout)

Hip Lift: 1x100 (225 lbs)

Dips: 3x10 with 14 lbs added.

Curl: 4x3 (70 lbs)

Muscle Control: 3x10 seconds

Impact/G-Force Training) (All strikes were made at a concrete building, wearing light padded MMA gloves, everything was 50%)

Punches: 1,100 (Straight, Jabs, Cross, Hooks)

Foot Stop: 200

Front Kick: 20

Sidekick: 20

Only did grip work today, and was it one of the best I've had in a long time! Earlier today, I killed my 184 lb rated Tetting Super Elite this morning when I got home from work (didn't feel like getting the camera out since I wasn't really feeling like making a video), took 3 good attempts but I managed the last one and closed that sucker for the first time. Broke out the grip machines and got ready for some heavy singles (did 38.4 lbs more than I have ever done before on the Joe Kinney Grip Machine).

7/28/2013 Grip Workout (Everything is considered closed unless noted)

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (#1 used TNS closes)

2) Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 7x5 seconds (272.4 lbs)

3) Secret Weapon: 4x5 seconds (127.8 lbs)

4) 2 Hand Pinch: 3x3 (131.8 lbs) (Haven't done this for some time and felt really odd.)

5) Isometric Wrist Curl: 3x5 seconds (76.6 lbs)

6) Extensors: 4x10 seconds (Red/Blue Band)

Here's an attempt I made before the actual workout with the Joe Kinney Grip Machine.

• Like 1

Changed things up for yesterday's workout, wasn't feeling squats and just cut them out. Wanted to see what it was like to combine both Isometrics and Muscle Control into one workout, very different and I like it.

7/29/2013 Workout (Everything is considered lifted unless noted.)

1) Swings: 3x10 (78.6 lbs)

2) Push Press with my PDA Dumbbell: 3x2 (94.2 lbs)

3) Isometrics: 50x10 seconds (Squat/Deadlift/curl/pushing/pulling style moves) (Used 70% of my Strength)

4) Muscle Control: 3x10 seconds (All over muscle contraction in different positions) (Used 70% of my Strength)

On the Isometrics, I hooked a chain onto my loading pin and connected the other end to a handle or through a pvc pipe (which also has a steel pipe threaded through it). I set it to the right height I needed and started the movement in a pulling or pushing exercise.

Not going to say a lot and just get to it.

7/30/2013 Isometric Workout and Grip Workout

Isometrics) (Everything is done to about 80% of my max Strength)

1) Deadlift: 10x20 seconds

2) Quarter Squats: 10x20 seconds

3) Curl: 10x20 seconds

4) Military Press: 10x20 second

5) Muscle Control: 3x20 seconds (All over contractions held in different positions.)

Grip part of the workout

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (#1, TNS reps)

2) Negative/Isometric Gripper: 7x5 seconds (Tetting GE) (Was able to cheat it down to nearly 20mm)

3) Overcrush Gripper: 4x5 seconds (Z3)

4) TTK: 4x5 seconds (65.4 lbs) (Haven't touched a weight this heavy nearly 3 months, and yes, I cheated the weight closed.)

5) Isometric Wrist Curl: 10x20 seconds (70% of my max strength)

6) Extensors: 5x10 seconds (Red/Blue Bands)

8/05/2013 Grip Workout (Everything is considered closed unless noted)

Everything is done the same for each hand. And so I save the reader time, when I was done with one set I would go to the next exercise, so on and so on until I reached a total of 5 sets of each exercise, except when I came to pinch and extensors.

Warm Up Gripper: 3x10 (Robert Baraban Adjustable around a Trainer Level, All TNS reps)

Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 5 x 5 seconds (293.4lbs)

Silver Bullet: 5x5 seconds (5.1lbs, MM3 Replica Right Hand, Tetting Elite Left Hand)

Secret Weapon: 5x5 seconds (127.8lbs)

Pony Clamp: 4x10 seconds

Extensors: 4x10 seconds (Red/Blue Band)

Found some notes I made a few months ago while I was training for the MM1 Off Hand, and it was things I was thinking about around the end of 2012 but never got around to putting them to work, only when I was training for the MM1 Off Hand did I do something; I compiled the notes and figured out a number of things from past grip workouts. I'm going to attempt this for the next few weeks while I'm using it to train for the MM3 and MM2 Off Hand.

Side note from today's grip workout)

The amount of force I used with the grip machines and Silver Bullet actually have not drained me of my crushing strength; I feel very good and way stronger than I was before the workout. This was a strange effect that happened the first time I did workouts like this. Again, it's going to be interesting to see what this does in terms of my crushing strength towards the MM2 Off Hand and MM3.

Should also note I have a new grip toy in today. An anvil horn I traded for a few of my grippers. Never trained on one before, going to be very different. Was able to able to pull 105lbs with little effort; if my hands were at full strength, I think 115-125lbs would be lifted with no problem on it.

8/006/2013 Workout

Hip Lift: 2x5 (455lbs)

Rolling Thunder: 1x10 (110lbs)

Pony Clamp: 3x10

Wrist Curl: 3x10 (105lbs, Forwards and Reverse)

Curl: 2x2 (105lbs)

Snatch: 3x2 (80lb Dumbbell)

Press: 4x2 (80lb Dumbbell)

Muscle Control: 3x10 seconds (All over contractions held in different positions.)

John, if you take these two videos for example from your YT channel, I noticed your thumb doing something peculiar, but I think adding help in the close.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73H2oY1VRQ&list=TLMHv-u0phflE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTwfWXcXBbs

Later I noticed someone else who saw exactly the same, your thumb is pulling that last mm in. I thought it's just funny to see and I am really going to try this.

You know, when the CCS just stretches the finger THAT bit further than I want thus pushing the dogleg out of the comfort zone, this is what sometimes costs me the last mm in the close. Anyway, just thought it was nice to see.

Strong work further over here man.

John, if you take these two videos for example from your YT channel, I noticed your thumb doing something peculiar, but I think adding help in the close.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i73H2oY1VRQ&list=TLMHv-u0phflE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTwfWXcXBbs

Later I noticed someone else who saw exactly the same, your thumb is pulling that last mm in. I thought it's just funny to see and I am really going to try this.

You know, when the CCS just stretches the finger THAT bit further than I want thus pushing the dogleg out of the comfort zone, this is what sometimes costs me the last mm in the close. Anyway, just thought it was nice to see.

Strong work further over here man.

I glad you pointed that out, I've never noticed it until now :huh: I never knew how much my thumb is actually helping out in closing grippers. I know this was pointed out in my video "Captains of Crush #3 Hand Gripper CCS" about the thumb. Also went through a few more videos and I'm doing it in those as well. I'm guessing this was a subconscious effort from my mind without me ever really noticing.

I hope it helps you out in any way it can man.

And thanks.

Forgot to actually write down a few things about the grip program I'm currently using, (1) to indicate what week and day I'm on, (2) what the main focus is about I'm doing for the grip program. I am getting everything ready for the MM3 and MM2 Off Hand Certifications. I found some notes I wrote down in October-November of 2012, I only played with the idea once before when I went for the MM1 Off Hand but never actually did anything else with it, but I'm actually getting around to using it fully now. The main focus of the program is with Grip Machines, while at the same time mix different aspects of what I have learned over the years with hand grippers and to see where it all takes me. This is a 6-12 week cycle based from my notes.

I'll just quote the last workout from my grip workout and add today's.

Week 1, Day 1) Negative Grip Machine Training

8/05/2013 Grip Workout (Everything is considered closed unless noted)

Everything is done the same for each hand. And so I save the reader time, when I was done with one set I would go to the next exercise, so on and so on until I reached a total of 5 sets of each exercise, except when I came to pinch and extensors.

Warm Up Gripper: 3x10 (Robert Baraban Adjustable around a Trainer Level, All TNS reps)

Joe Kinney Grip Machine: 5 x 5 seconds (293.4lbs)

Silver Bullet: 5x5 seconds (5.1lbs, MM3 Replica Right Hand, Tetting Elite Left Hand)

Secret Weapon: 5x5 seconds (127.8lbs)

Pony Clamp: 4x10 seconds

Extensors: 4x10 seconds (Red/Blue Band)

8/07/2013 Week 1, Day 2) Rep Day Grip Machine Training

Warm Up Gripper: 5x10 (RB Adjustable around a Trainer, TNS reps)

Pop's Gripper: 10x5 (245.3lbs, Two-hand closes; focus was on attaining 50 reps total)

TTK: 4x5 seconds (66.2lbs) (New personal best by 1 lb)

Isometric Level: 6x5 seconds (12lbs; forwards and reverse holds)

Extensors: 5x10 seconds (Red/Blue Band)

On the handle distance for reps, which distance do you use?

The distance I have the handles set at is an inch and half, but this is with my Sorinex Pop's Gripper. The handles on that machine is thick!

Little tip I found while working with grip machines, to get really better gains on grip machines is to actually have the handles set to a shorter distance than going full range it puts you in better working distance for the close part of the movement.

Been interesting last few days; spent some time and made some homemade equipment for Isometrics and Rolling Thunder handles out of some pvc pipes.

Wanted to do something really different today in grip and just do high reps, my RB Adjustable Gripper was set at a #2.5 level.

8/11/2013, Week 1, Day 3) High rep day

Warm Up Gripper: 3x10 (RB Adjustable, inbetween a Guide and Sport, TNS reps)

Working Gripper: 13x10 (RB Adjustable, #2.5 Level, 130 Total reps)

Isometric Pinch Grip: 15x5 seconds (40% strength, No weight plates used)

Isometric Wrist Curl: 15x10 seconds (40% strength, No weight plates used, Forwards and Reverse)

Extensors: 5x10 seconds (Red/Blue Band)

John, have you ever tried the "water trick" with your Rolling Thunder? It's not a "trick" as much as it is a technique to help you lift more - and it has actual real carryover to lifts that don't utilize the water trick method. I could explain it. Or you can just come over and bring your RT handle, since I don't have one anymore. I could transfer some knowledge to someone who could put it to good use.

I do thank you for the offer but I don't train the Rolling Thunder anymore. I'm just going to use my Fat Gripz every now and again.

Hahaha, you seem to be allergic to my RT advice John. But it's a good reminder for me - not to "offer" advice unless it's first asked for. Saw that you started an RT program. Jon has certainly increased his max quite a bit (50lbs) so it should be a good one to work with. Hopefully your RT advice allergy won't prevent you from gaining on it.

Guest Squat More

Bens right about the water in the palm, I do this for two reasons, 1) it gets my palm skin nice and warm before a pull and 2) I cleans off the chalk from my hands that is there from regular training. I hate pulling RT with chalked hands.

• Like 1

Wanted to really keep it simple today and forgot about the ideas of negative training and worked on crushing isometrics (same concept as negatives except when the opening phase of the gripper happens you just forget the movement altogether and end it right there.)

Week 2, Day 4) Crushing Isometric Training

Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 (Tetting SA)

Isometric Crush Gripper: 4x5 seconds (GHP Level 9)

Overcrush Gripper: 4x5 seconds (GHP Level 6) (Was intending to use a Level 7 but I had both grippers next to each other and forgot which is which)

TTK: 3x5 seconds (66.2 lbs) (Attempted 71lbs just for the hell of it, that was a mistake big time on my part, almost ripped my right thumb out of its socket, can still feel a little pain; just a few days off then I'll be back)

Was really busy yesterday and had to get in a workout less then 60 minutes long.

8/13/2013 Workout (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

1) Squat: 95lbs x 5, 135lbs x 5, 275lbs x 5, 300lbs x 10.

2) Rolling Thunder: 97lbs x 2, 117lbs x 15.

3) Military Press: 2x5 - 100lbs.

4) Curl: 3x5/5/12 - 65lbs.

5) Pony Clamp: 3x10

6) Wrist Curl: 3x10 - 120lbs (Forward and Reverse)

7) Dips: 1x30 - B.W. only

Week 2, Day 5) Rep Day.

Warm Up Gripper: 4x5 - RB Adjustable, Trainer Level.

Sorinex Pop's Gripper: 10x3 - 272 lbs, Two Hands.

Hub Pinch: 6x5 seconds -58.2 lbs, IM Hub.

Plate Pinch: 2x5 seconds - 25.5 lbs

TTK: 4x5 second - 55.2 lbs

Level Curl: 3x5 - 9 lbs

Extensors: 5x10 seconds - Red/Blue Band.

Really don't have time to actually do any lifting except on Tuesday; Friday if I'm lucky. Have to be a little creative when it comes time to working out and still have the same level of intensity I was doing. Spent some time and put together a little Isometric Training unit I can hook some chains onto, connected through a steel pipe, threaded through a pvc pipe (which is 2 inches in thickness) and work pushes and pulls and max contractions if I want to. Good thing, I can do this really any day and not get sore.

8/14/2013 Isometric Workout)

1) Quarter Squat: 15x5 seconds

2) Quarter Deadlift: 15x5 seconds

3) Curl: 15x5 seconds

4) Rack Press: 15x5 seconds

5) Muscle Control: 1x10 seconds

Wasn't really feeling up to anything today but put that aside and just did a grip workout. Left hand is getting closer to reaching the MM2, just need to get that sucker up to closing my 167 rated Tetting Elite. Right feels a little fried and went easy on it. Really hit up pinch grip as well.

Week 2, Day 6) Rep Work

(Everything is done from a mms set or wider)

1) Warm Up Gripper: 3x5 - Tetting SA rated at 88lbs

2) Singles Gripper: 6x1 - RB 300N Right hand (Feels in the low 170's), RB Adjustable 6/6 (feels about 160-163 lbs)

3) Rep Gripper: 3x5 - Tetting SM rated at 126lbs

4) Pinch Block: 6x2 - 58lbs both hands

5) Hub Pinch: 6x1 - 67.2lbs, Sorinex Hub

6) TTK: 5x5 seconds - 55.2lbs

7) Wrist Curl: 5x5 - 119.5lbs, Forwards and Reverse (also did 2 sets of Isometric holds for 5 seconds on the last set)