Grippers Of Madness

John McCarter

• 3 weeks later...

For those who didn't see, and wondered why it has been quite on this log of mine, here is the reason. For the last 10 weeks I've been doing KTA (3rd time actually). I do plan to have elements from the program mixed within my normal grip work again. I may also mix in high rep work on certain days during the week.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=41399#entry586548

Also, the MM2 is heading my way and I'm going to focus more on things I was doing with KTA until the certification is over, then I'll mix in High Reps and Eccentric Training in the coming weeks.

Should note, that I haven't had much time to lift because of life in general. I won't always update this log, but I'll fill in what I can.

My current goals right now are to cert the MM2 Off Hand, then attack the GHP 8, and if I can, I want to get the MM3 certification.

Just wanted to do something different as I don't plan to do any training for the next 2 days and see how I many times I can rep my Certification #3 (feels about 154 lbs) and was able to close the gripper from a mms position 10 straight times with my right, 5 with the right, never done that before. This was also done after using my RB Adjustable gripper set to the strength of a #3.

I say KTA really did something for me!

• Like 2

11/29/2013 Negative Grip Work (Everything is considered cheated, except the warm up) (Grippers are switched out when one set is done: negative, overcrush, silver bullet, and back to negative gripper until a total amount is reached.)

Warm Up: (RB100, MMS reps) 5x10

Negative: (GHP 9, cheated to 10mm) 3x5 seconds

Overcrush: (178 lb GHP 8, cheated to closed) 3x5 seconds

Silver Bullet: (178 lb GHP 8, 2.4 lb plate) 3x5 seconds

Pony Clamp: 6x10 seconds

Isometric Lever: (12 lbs) 4x5 seconds

Extensors: (Red/Blue Bands) 6x10 seconds

First grip workout since being done with KTA! Really noticed something different about how my hands feel right now; not weak but almost like steel. Strange feeling my hands like this but I'm not complaining one bit. Every day that I did the program was a self-teaching experience. As I've said before, I plan to use elements from the program from now on within my grip program, it will not be KTA but things taken from it. Also, one day a week will take ideas from RRBT so I can work the Concentric portion of the gripper (just keeping everything in perspective when it comes to Eccentric/Concentric contractions).

For the next 3 weeks will be 3-4 days of nothing but Eccentric Contractions with grippers, 1 day of Concentric Contractions (about 50-100 reps performed on a gripper that can be closed around 5 or 10 times) and then a deload week to let the hands heal up.

Also, I'm going to file my GHP 8 for B.T.R. Training.

• Like 1

Meant to update on Saturday and Sunday.

Had a go at the MM2 Off Hand. Missed each attempt by 2-3mm. Even tried it out a few hours later when I was cold, still just 2-3mm. Had a really off night, but I'll be back to get revenge on the gripper! Since KTA, my recovery time is insane now, before the program it was good, now, it just seems to take little time to actually be good for when I work my grip for the next workout. Plus, when making the attempts, I was ready to make the next attempt within a minute apart from the last attempt.

Any how, here's the grip workout from Sunday.

12/01/2013) Grip Workout (High Rep Day)

RB Adjustable 5/6 Setting (a little harder than my certification #3): 3, 5, 5, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 7 = 100 reps

Pony Clamp: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 20, 20, 20, 20, 10 seconds each attempt.

Next time I do this workout, I plan to use the IronMind TTK.

• Like 1

Really wasn't feeling it tonight and just took everything easy.

12/03/2013 Workout (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

Kettlebell Swings: (24 and 31 K.G.) 2x10

Dumbbell Cleans: (101.4 lbs, PDA Rocky Handle) 3x1

1 Arm Deadlift: (143.2 lbs/64 K.G.) 3x5

Chest Expander: (90 lbs of Force) 4x10

Muscle Control: (Both Upper and Lower Body) 1x20 seconds

Wasn't feeling it on grip tonight, but still attacked it and was able to tear right into it. Going to be using my 178 lb GHP 8 for the next few weeks until it feels easy and will switch that out for my stiff 183 MM3 Replica.

Also, filed the GHP 8 a few days ago, it rated at 178 lbs, but since I filed it down to 16mm, should be around 180 or 183 lbs. Way more harder to use now. Also had the chance to use a silver bullet with that gripper, yeah, made things more interesting.

12/03/2013 Negative Grip Day (All grippers were cheated down in effort to work the closed position only)

Warm Up: (RB100, MMS Reps) 5x10

Negative Gripper: (GHP 9) 4X5 seconds

B.T.R. Overcrush Gripper: (Filed 178 lb GHP 8) 4X5 seconds

Silver Bullet: (Filed GHP 8, 2.4 lbs) 1x5 seconds

Pony Clamp: 4x10 seconds

12/04/2013 Workout (Everything is considered lifted unless noted)

Hip Squats: (272.4 lbs) 6x2

Dumbbell Cleans: 6x1 (104.3 lbs, used straps from having it fall to the floor)

1 Arm Deadlift: 4x1 (225 lbs)

Chest Expander Front Chest Pull: 2x5 (90 lbs of force)

Standing Back Bends: 1x15

Muscle Control: 1x20 seconds (Upper/Lower Body)

Meant to update yesterday, but not going to make this long and get right too it...

12/07/2013 Negative Grip Workout.

Warm Up: 5x10 - RB100, MMS

Negative: 4x5 seconds - GHP 9

B.T.R. Overcrush: 4x5 second - GHP8

Silver Bullet: 4x5 seconds - GHP 8 with 2.4 lbs

2 Hand Pinch using IronMind Block: 10x2 - 145.2 lbs

Wrist Roller: 3x5 - 186.8 lbs, Forwards and Reverse

Extensors: 6x10 seconds - Red/Blue Bands

12/08/2013 High Rep Grip Workout

Warm Up: 5x10 - RB100, MMS

Adjustable Gripper: 10/10/5/5/5/5/5/5 (100 Total Reps) - 6/6 Right (163 lbs), 5/6 Left (154 lbs), MMS

TTK: 36.2 lbs x 40/50/60/100/50 (300 Total Reps) (Using 36.2 lbs is easy but doing 300 reps took a lot out of me)

Levering: 9 lbs x 30/30/30/30 (120 Total Reps)

Extensors: 4x10 seconds - Red/Blue Bands

• Like 1

I can't believe how much volume you're doing, John. Stay healthy.

Will do man!

I'm only able to do things that I'm doing now because of KTA. After doing KTA, I don't know how or why, but my hands can just take more of a beating then what it did before, that program is just something different.

• Like 1

Got in a new toy yesterday, a 50 lb York Dumbbell, going to work a little pinching with it, can't really pinch it from the top but will have to work at that. Also switched out my GHP 9 for my CoC #4, wow, that sucker is stiff, really not use to the coc grippers anymore, thinking of switching that gripper out for a little while and seeing what I can do with it. Anyhow, here's tonights `grip workout.

12/11/2013 Negative Grip work)

Warm Up: 7x10 - RB100, MMS

Negatives: 5x5 seconds - CoC #4 rated at 208 lbs (should mention that this gripper feels very stiff).

B.T.R. Overcrush: 5x5 seconds - GHP 8

Globe Pinch: 10x5 seconds - 50 lbs (just going to cheat by lifting on the side until I build up in strength to hit it from the top).

Had more in the tank for Negatives and Overcrushes, but I didn't want to push it tonight. I think I may have ended up with torn skin if I went for more attempts.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a number of projects coming up. I'm taking a backdown week from grip right now. Going to start training for a contest coming up in April. Will be my first contest and just going to be interesting to see how everything works out for it. Also started studying to become a personal trainer. Going to attempt to get a workout in later, nothing grand, Hip Squats and Presses, maybe some curling action.

Starting a new 12 week grip cycle based around the Conjugate Method from Westside Barbell; cutting out all Negatives, pushed it as far as I can go with them right now. Going to do 2 days for closed grip, 2 days for open grip. On one day there will be max efforts, then the second day will be about speed. The reason I'm doing this, to get ready for the Gripday Party Contest I'll be attending in April.

12/24/2013 Grip: ME Day

Warm Up: 5x10 - RB100, Tetting SA, 20mm set block

Thor Grip machine: 3x1 - 224.3 lbs, one hand. Very hard to use this much weight for single hand closes.

2 Hand Pinch: 5x1 - 171 lbs

Sledge Hammer Deadlifts: 5x1 - 12 lbs, 14 inches down from the head.

Extensors: 5x10 seconds - Red/Blue bands.

This workout is meant to be a baseline of where I'm currently at and will progress from there.

Gave my Open Grip a go today, was just doing a ME Day and finding a base to where I currently am at. On pinch, felt like giving the hub a go, been a very long time since I've actually trained this item, I'm talking months, maybe even over a year since I gave this thing any serious thought. On the Hammer Deadlift, since I don't have an adjustable Sledge Hammer I took pipe, slipped on some collars, added a total of 21.8 lbs.

12/25/2013 Grip: ME Day, Open Hand

Rolling Thunder: (Warm Up) 2x5-3...(Working weight) 3x1 - 158.2 lbs

IM Hub: 3x1 - 57.7 lbs

Hammer Deadlift: 5x1 - 21.8 lbs

Wrist Roller: 4x1 - 10 lbs, Forwards/Reverse

Extensors: 4x10 seconds - Red/Blue Bands

12/27/2013 Dynamic Grip

Warm Up: 3x5 - Tetting SA

Gripper: 9x1 - 75% right hand with a 167 Elite, 62% left hand with a filed #2.5

2 Hand Pinch: 6x2 - 98.2 lbs at 57-58%, adsded a band with 40 lbs of force

Wrist Roller: 4x1 - 10 lbs, forwards/reverse

Extensors: 6x5 seconds - Red/Blue Band

12/27/2013 Dynamic Rolling Thunder with red resistance band

Rolling Thunder: 4x3 - 100 lbs, at 62% of Max.

I've been thinking of how I will attack my grip for this upcoming year, given it some thought and have found that negatives are something I'm going to be giving up for the next year or two (maybe I'll give Negatives up all together; I don't plan on using them anytime soon), I think it's time I put them aside for now and focus on other development; pinch is what I'm going to be really wanting to give more effort towards, while grip being the main movement. So, this is really my final posting about me using them, if people need help in using them, I'll still give out advice on how to approaching them.

Going to really look at things like 5/3/1 and the Cube Method (and other types of powerlifting methods) to influence how I approach grip training. Been looking at how other people use these methods and how it has worked for them with weight training, and how it will translate over to training the hands.

• Like 1

Felt really strong with the grip machine but just wasn't really feeling it on pinch today. Should be noted, I didn't write down the warm up weights and sets for the hip squats. Not a whole lot to report on and will end it there for tonight.

12/30/2013 Workout and Grip

Hip Squats: 7x2 - 375 lbs/170 kg

Military Press: 5x2 - 70 lbs/31 kg

Grip section)

Warm up Gripper: (Tetting SA) 4x5

Thor Grip Machine: (229.2 lbs/103 kg) 6x3

2 Hand Pinch: (177 lbs/80kg) 3x1

Isometric Level: (9 lbs/4 kg) 5x5 seconds

Extensors: (Red/Blue Bands) 4x10 seconds

Was intending to do the Open Hand Grip ME (Max Effort) Day tomorrow but will be busy with my girl and switched it over for today. I've noticed lately that my pinch grip is really improving from what little I've been doing. Should note I hit 2 very big P.R.'s in today's grip work, one for the Rolling Thunder (pulled in the 160's) and IronMind Hub (finally broke 70 lbs in a full lift). Also started using my Anvil Trainer and set a baseline around my Max right now. Below is the latest video I made, wanted to put something together about Negative Training (kind of my way of saying goodbye to what I did at one point in my life, but I've moved on from using Negatives and going to really work the positive side on the gripper now).

12/31/2013 Open Hand Grip ME Day

Rolling Thunder: 3x1 - 160 lbs/72 kg

Anvil Trainer: 3x1 - 161 lbs/73 kg

IronMind Hub: 71 lbs/32 kg

Wrist Roller: 4x1 - 10 lbs/4 kg

And want to wish everyone a Happy New Year, stay safe and set new p.r.'s this upcoming year.

http://youtu.be/Ka3yzvLZbpg

• Like 2

That's an insane hub dude! How did you fit almost 400 on a loading pin for squats?

That's an insane hub dude! How did you fit almost 400 on a loading pin for squats?

Thanks man, this was the second time I've done serious work on that sucker. The most I was able to do on it before was 64-66 lbs.

I used mostly 45's and one 35 or 25 plate, I've actually gotten more on it but that's when I was lifting weights like a madman back in the summer.

At that weight, even a half pound increase is incredible!.

Nice...im trying to locate more standard sized cap barbell 25s so I can load up on the pin. I like them because I can keep my feet closer together.

• Like 1

John-

You can delete this, if you like... Just wanted to say some things about this video: calling Joe a liar, is when you lost my interest. This "Kinney thing," has been played out. To put him in that light, to post a video about his methods, to make your methods sound better is crazy to me. Egotistical, even. To say he wasn't the right guy to teach grip- and you are? C'mon, John.

I agree with negs and positives should go together... Joe took care of that by squeezing the grip machine up on all of his reps. Him teaching to perform the forced reps with an extended handle, where using your body weight to manage how much your hand gets subjected to, is the way to stay safe. Is there holes to be filled in his story? Well, I still don't know how many reps he did for his thumbs. But, that's okay... I've learned my own body.

I've forced the biggest grippers you can- and have stayed injury-free. You do it at your own risk- and we don't have to drag Joe through the mud anymore. You seem like a nice, helpful guy, John... And don't mean to come down on you in your log. All the best with your grip training.

Robert

12/27/2013 Dynamic Rolling Thunder with red resistance band

Rolling Thunder: 4x3 - 100 lbs, at 62% of Max.

I've been thinking of how I will attack my grip for this upcoming year, given it some thought and have found that negatives are something I'm going to be giving up for the next year or two (maybe I'll give Negatives up all together; I don't plan on using them anytime soon), I think it's time I put them aside for now and focus on other development; pinch is what I'm going to be really wanting to give more effort towards, while grip being the main movement. So, this is really my final posting about me using them, if people need help in using them, I'll still give out advice on how to approaching them.

Going to really look at things like 5/3/1 and the Cube Method (and other types of powerlifting methods) to influence how I approach grip training. Been looking at how other people use these methods and how it has worked for them with weight training, and how it will translate over to training the hands.

Wise move John, negatives nearly destroyed my grip aspirations with the resulting tendinitis... i avoid them like the plague

• Like 1

John-

You can delete this, if you like... Just wanted to say some things about this video: calling Joe a liar, is when you lost my interest. This "Kinney thing," has been played out. To put him in that light, to post a video about his methods, to make your methods sound better is crazy to me. Egotistical, even. To say he wasn't the right guy to teach grip- and you are? C'mon, John.

I agree with negs and positives should go together... Joe took care of that by squeezing the grip machine up on all of his reps. Him teaching to perform the forced reps with an extended handle, where using your body weight to manage how much your hand gets subjected to, is the way to stay safe. Is there holes to be filled in his story? Well, I still don't know how many reps he did for his thumbs. But, that's okay... I've learned my own body.

I've forced the biggest grippers you can- and have stayed injury-free. You do it at your own risk- and we don't have to drag Joe through the mud anymore. You seem like a nice, helpful guy, John... And don't mean to come down on you in your log. All the best with your grip training.

Robert

I'm not going have your comment pulled, I stated right in the video that it was my opinion only. I've never said, and you may check, I was better than Kinney in any way, I do feel that there is a miss understanding of how he approaches the methods he gives (both written form and verbally), look at the video compared to the coc book, there is a huge contrast between his own training methods. I may not agree with how Kinney presents most of his methods, I do think there is very good topics he brings, also, there are bad ones. I know there are things that people have done to prove he was fake, I'm not one of them, even if my video attempted anything to make it seem like I was, I wasn't, personally I will still accept what he claims unless there is/was proof otherwise.

And I did state, if you put your stuff out there, you will become subjected, doesn't matter if it's for the good or bad; I knew personally that I could become subjected for making the video and how I formatted the topic. I know some will agree and others won't, but again, the video was only my opinion and no one else's.

Maybe the whole point of what I attempted to say in the video was missed. I had 2 reasons for why I made the video, I only wanted to give a simple guideline on how to perform Negatives safely, since there is not a lot of information on how to do them correctly when it comes to grip. And my second reason 2, I made the video so I could be done with the topic of Negatives for good.

No matter what people may think of me and why I put the video up, the topics within it, I welcome what others have to say.

• Like 1