Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Good to see you on the gripboard and posting in this thread mike. I'll be back to training tomorrow. Been a rough couple weeks for me, but I'm going to get back on track and continue to chase the red.

I'm back in this. I took some time off to focus on arm wrestling, but now I have a goal to crush the red nail in 2013 and get certified. Grade 5 1/4 are not a problem for me and prekinked reds are not a problem in IM pads. My problem after my first nail workout in a while is toughening up my hands and letting these blisters heal. Lol. How hard was it to get a judge to certify a bend? Are they pretty much located all over the USA or will I have to travel 4 states over to see one? I am just wondering if it is an arduous process. I am located in TN

I'm back in this. I took some time off to focus on arm wrestling, but now I have a goal to crush the red nail in 2013 and get certified. Grade 5 1/4 are not a problem for me and prekinked reds are not a problem in IM pads. My problem after my first nail workout in a while is toughening up my hands and letting these blisters heal. Lol. How hard was it to get a judge to certify a bend? Are they pretty much located all over the USA or will I have to travel 4 states over to see one? I am just wondering if it is an arduous process. I am located in TN

Seems that you have my same problem:i think i am ready to be certified on red nail but seen that i dont live in usa i dont know if IM can find me a judge.

• 2 weeks later...

I started my workout tonight out in 35 degree weather and set a new personal best on my hub lift, 75lbs. Then post workout I broke out a 60d spiral, 60d straight, and 1/4 G5 and tore them a new one in IM pads, so I decided to get out my Tractor Supply CRS 5/16 x 7" homemade Red nails and bent 3 of them suckers with zero problems. I am wondering if anyone has compared Tractor Supply Cold roll steel to IM Rednail Cold Roll and if it is considerably tougher than the Tractor Supply steel. I guess its time to order some red nails. I'll post a video tomorrow.

• Like 2

Good job bro. I'm not sure how the TS crs stacks up against the Red. It can't be too far off. If you're doing multiple crs bends in a session I'd say you will put a hurt on a Red.

http://youtu.be/AEsK1Ahuhpc

Turn down the volume when I start bending. I need to work on my bending sounds. Lol

i like very much the position of your hands on the bar,good work.

Thanks, I feel more comfortable bending that way and it ends up with the end of the 7" bar right in the center of my palm.

Good job bro. I'm not sure how the TS crs stacks up against the Red. It can't be too far off. If you're doing multiple crs bends in a session I'd say you will put a hurt on a Red

Thanks Daniel. I was hoping it was close in strength. I'll soon find out.

• Like 1

4th time is a charm it seems. At the NY grip thrown down I missed the Red again but moved it a little further but this time it went down! Used Double Wraps but moved to singles for the crush which seemed to make a big difference. After the Red I took a break and got my other PR which was a 7" CRS Square stock 1/4". Same situation doubles to singles but felt easier. Still need to get my hands more conditioned and work my way to singles because after these 2 bends I went for a cut G5 and couldn't get past the kink due to the hand and finger pain. Normally I can get those in 30 seconds in singles and even G8's and pain was never an issue so it's amazing how laying off bending for even a few weeks makes your hands so soft. Will post a video soon but pics below.

RedBend_zps8648b4b7.jpg

RedandSqureBend_zps1c3f7771.jpg

• Like 2

Hell yeah Brian!

From now on...they are just going to fall quicker and and with less padding.

It's all downhill from here! :rock:rock:rock

Great Job Brian. I'm going to jump back on this goal. I'm going to start slowly and really work on my technique. I took a break from bending but I'm back in this.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! You guys have all helped with staying motivated towards this goal so I'm very appreciative of that.

Mike, Gripper Crushes are awesome and I need to work on them more. What's actually help me a lot to improve my crush was getting back into lifting heavy on my chest, shoulders and triceps and also chest crush lifts. Started I maxed out at 120 but stuck with it and my max on the chest crush lift is 165 now. It's helped a lot.

Chez, I think it would be awesome if we both got certified on the same day, How cool of a video would that be! Let's keep at it.

Nate, big thanks for your advice on wrapping, it's made a HUGE difference in the Red Nail quest.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! You guys have all helped with staying motivated towards this goal so I'm very appreciative of that.

Mike, Gripper Crushes are awesome and I need to work on them more. What's actually help me a lot to improve my crush was getting back into lifting heavy on my chest, shoulders and triceps and also chest crush lifts. Started I maxed out at 120 but stuck with it and my max on the chest crush lift is 165 now. It's helped a lot.

Chez, I think it would be awesome if we both got certified on the same day, How cool of a video would that be! Let's keep at it.

Nate, big thanks for your advice on wrapping, it's made a HUGE difference in the Red Nail quest.

Very cool! I'm glad to hear it. You'll be baby stepping your way to singles. It won't take that long.

Good job! Getting closer to that goal. What is a chest crush lift?

Here's one type acro.

I've also found that dumbbell flys and bench transfer really well to DO.

• Like 1