Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Yeah, I would recommend some thicker wraps to recondition your hands. It might just take a bit to get back into the swing. I was off for month or so as well. Just in that short time my form went to crap. It's good to see you back in the mix Brian!

Went for some conditioning bends after my grip workout this morning with DO, 2x60D spirals then 3xBlues all in suede wraps. The blues have never felt easier and got all 3 bent in about a minute. I'm noticing that Bending with the DO technique is more strenuous on the hands and outer chest than wrist. It's a perfect addition to a grip workout.

Hands feeling much better now. Took care of some unfinished business with the zinc plated G5 I slightly kinked 2 weeks ago and the other G5 I had previously kinked before that. Then for good measure I took out a fresh G5 to seal the deal and show the G5 who's boss. The G5 went from very hard to just hard and will keep with the G5's for another week or 2 before attempting a G8.

• Like 1

Way to go man! That's some solid progress on the G5! I think your gains will be pretty steady up to the Red.

Hands feeling much better now. Took care of some unfinished business with the zinc plated G5 I slightly kinked 2 weeks ago and the other G5 I had previously kinked before that. Then for good measure I took out a fresh G5 to seal the deal and show the G5 who's boss. The G5 went from very hard to just hard and will keep with the G5's for another week or 2 before attempting a G8.

Keep killing it!

• Like 1

Hey guys, are you still looking for Racers? I started bending in March of this year and I do it about twice a month along with regular workouts and arm wrestling workouts, but I have been interested in getting certified since the beginning. I have bent 5/16 x 7 Hot roll in IM pads in June (at my high point), but have been more focused on pinch grip strength as of late. I am picking the bending back up again and plan to hang with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43V9JMitpPc&feature=plcp

Here's me with 1/4 x 7 square in IM pads. More to come.

New racers are always welcome! WIth the 1/4 square stock you bent in the video, how would you compare that other stock you've bent? Currently I can bend a 6" Grade 5 of diffrerent stock piles and suppliers and at one point thought a 7" 1/4 Square should've been easier than a 6" Grade 8 but I couldn't even budge the damn thing and was looking for other experienced benders to share there thoughts on the 7" 1/4 square stock difficulty.

Hey guys, are you still looking for Racers? I started bending in March of this year and I do it about twice a month along with regular workouts and arm wrestling workouts, but I have been interested in getting certified since the beginning. I have bent 5/16 x 7 Hot roll in IM pads in June (at my high point), but have been more focused on pinch grip strength as of late. I am picking the bending back up again and plan to hang with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43V9JMitpPc&feature=plcp

Here's me with 1/4 x 7 square in IM pads. More to come.

@matrixsleeper I believe they are pretty close for me personally. That might also have to do with the fact that this square hot rolled steel came from Home Depot. Where are you getting yours? I have some 1/4 G5 6" that I haven't messed with in a while, the next time I bend I will post a vid.

Gotcha. the 7" 1/4 square stock I got is CRS. I think there from steelworks but I could be mistaken. I have Jedd's bending Ebook and looked through the back for some steel resources. The place I ordered from allowed for custom cuts for all different sizes, thickness and shapes. They're also pretty accurate to the strength levels of Ironmind. Their 6" 1/4 CRS round stock is almost the same as the IM Blue nail but way cheaper in price.

The Home Depot square stock I've encountered has been actually fairly close to the FBBC stock my opinion( I haven't had any rated) which according to Aaron's rating list usually rates around 380lbs at 7". I've heard from other guys that the HD stuff can vary pretty wildly though.

I have bent a Grade 5 Zinc plated Bolt in ironmind pads before but here is a video of me doing it without rubber bands and in 14 seconds with extreme ease:

• Like 2

That was way to easy! You smashing any G8s yet?

Thanks dude. I have bent a black grade 8 from bender's battlefield in IMPs with rubber bands, but it was a slow grinding bend. I posted it earlier in this thread. As soon as I get more Grade 8's, I'll try a quick bend in IMPs without rubber bands and post the video if I can melt it.

After the International Axle Competion today, I smashed like four 70Ds ( 1 in IMPs), reversed a couple of 6" x 1/4" G5s, and kinked a 6.5" Edgin bolt to about 45o ( this bolt kicked my butt ), all courtesy of Mr. Aaron Corcorran, and still feel well enough to complete another full bending workout. I'm going to try for my cert within the next month, if circumstances allow.

Edited by Idiedintothe
  • Like 1

That was way to easy! You smashing any G8s yet?

Thanks dude. I have bent a black grade 8 from bender's battlefield in IMPs with rubber bands, but it was a slow grinding bend. I posted it earlier in this thread. As soon as I get more Grade 8's, I'll try a quick bend in IMPs without rubber bands and post the video if I can melt it.

Chez, if you continue to stretch, practice your kink, and form, you will smash a Red soon.

I have bent a Grade 5 Zinc plated Bolt in ironmind pads before but here is a video of me doing it without rubber bands and in 14 seconds with extreme ease:

looks like you could probably reverse that no problem

easy bend

Thanks guys. I just ordered a box of 50 Grade 8 bolts. I'm working really hard on this goal. My technique still needs work. I'm not very flexible across the shoulders and chest. The hardest part for me is keeping the steel high. I'll keep working on that.

After the International Axle Competion today, I smashed like four 70Ds ( 1 in IMPs), reversed a couple of 6" x 1/4" G5s, and kinked a 6.5" Edgin bolt to about 45o ( this bolt kicked my butt ), all courtesy of Mr. Aaron Corcorran, and still feel well enough to complete another full bending workout. I'm going to try for my cert within the next month, if circumstances allow.

Keep Kicking Butt buddy. I want to see you post a certification video soon. I have no doubt you will be on that list.

I realize I'm answering a question that hasn't been asked but, you know what it could be for you Chez? The bicep. My bicep and forearm meet when I bring the bar up to my chin, which actually stopped my hands from being able to hold onto the bar under my chin sometimes. I can feel the tension in my bicep increase as it is being smashed by my forearm. I do little stretches by pressing my hands on the corner of a wall and leaning into it to stretch out and loosen the elbow and compress my bicep/brachialis area. Just throwing it out there. Have you watch any other videos to work on your form?

I have noticed that. My upper arms are over 18 inches and my forearms are over 14 inches so they do get bunched up during double overhand. I'm actually working on that exact stretch. Its tough because I love weight lifting but its makes me bit tight and inflexible sometimes. oh well, no excuses. I have been watching a lot of bending videos. When I first started, I was bending at chest level and "chicken winging" because I couldn't get my arms up there at all. I'm definitely not a natural at steel bending.

I hear you. I've actually been avoiding curls for that exact reason. But yeah that stretch helps me a lot. I hope it helps you. I'll try to give you some pointers on your next video post if you like. Also sending vids to other benders for feedback would help. Keep at it brother.

• Like 1

Just killed a grade 8 in ironmind pads with no rubber bands in about 20 seconds:

Keep working hard guys.

• Like 3

Well done man. I honestly don't know how you smash those so low. Red next!

Thanks guys!