Race To The Red Nail

Chez

I had played around with double overhand bending months ago, but it just didn't feel comfortable for me...so I put my bending aspirations aside for a while until I started reverse bending several weeks ago in preparation for WSH. I'm happy to say I tried and bent my first blue nail tonight! I'm so psyched because I only bent my first yellow nail a week ago.

Anyway....I figured my first blue nail bend now qualifies me to post in this "Race to the Red Nail" thread even though I'm sure I have a loooong way to go.

I had played around with double overhand bending months ago, but it just didn't feel comfortable for me...so I put my bending aspirations aside for a while until I started reverse bending several weeks ago in preparation for WSH. I'm happy to say I tried and bent my first blue nail tonight! I'm so psyched because I only bent my first yellow nail a week ago.

Anyway....I figured my first blue nail bend now qualifies me to post in this "Race to the Red Nail" thread even though I'm sure I have a loooong way to go.

very nice! Once you get the shoulder flexibility and double overhand technique down, you will be kicking butt in that style as well. I have Grade 5's. I can give you a couple as WSH.

very nice! Once you get the shoulder flexibility and double overhand technique down, you will be kicking butt in that style as well. I have Grade 5's. I can give you a couple as WSH.

Thanks man! Hell...I'm going to Home Depot tomorrow to see if they have a bunch of Grade 5 and Grade 8 bolts!

You will be mine....

Grade5Bolts.jpg

haha, go get it big man. We may have to have a bending session after WSH.

haha, go get it big man. We may have to have a bending session after WSH.

Hell yeah....some tips from Jedd would be awesome!

Came from the honeymoon not long ago. Had two bending sessions. Bending session number one i bent few 60d's and few attempts of a 6" fbbc sq 1/4 couldnt bend it but small kink. Another day again 60's as a warm up, then one 60d breaking, then attempted what seemed 6" stainless but it was light ( i had it long ago but it wasnt rusted). The kink was easy but then the sweep was heck of a fight :s !!! But the crush was waaay hard. Anyway i bent it in IM pads in almost a minute give or take. Then i realized it was a titanuim WTF! Thats why it was coming back when bending it! Then i attempted the 6" sq and bent it too. Then i contacted IM and told them am ready. Then contacted my referee Mr. Andrew Posa to arrange the time. The time was tonight (Friday August 10, 2012). Good IM found me a referee becaue when i contacted them back in 2007 they couldnt find me. Here no one bends or are into grip.

So tonight was my OFFICIAL IronMind CERT attempt. He came to my house. We had a chit chat. Warmed up with few 60d's, then two grade 8 bolt. Then came the official cert attempt and bent it in around 12 seconds. I could've did better but mentaly i was weaker because i came from the honeymoon and was scared my form was off. Then we tried my CoC 3 and i almost closed it. So i didn't become that much weaker lol :p i have my cert on video but the man that videod me did a crappy job like video far andnlikewise. He didnt know what to video exactly. My mistake i shouldve told him. I will upload it tomorrow on youtube.

Thank you all for the motivation!

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

So tonight was my OFFICIAL IronMind CERT attempt. He came to my house. We had a chit chat. Warmed up with few 60d's, then two grade 8 bolt. Then came the official cert attempt and bent it in around 12 seconds. I could've did better but mentaly i was weaker because i came from the honeymoon and was scared my form was off. Then we tried my CoC 3 and i almost closed it. So i didn't become that much weaker lol :p i have my cert on video but the man that videod me did a crappy job like video far andnlikewise. He didnt know what to video exactly. My mistake i shouldve told him. I will upload it tomorrow on youtube.

Thank you all for the motivation!

Congratulations on the Red Nail!

Feels great to do this at last (in 2007 i wanted it so bad but unfortunately they could not find me a judge). :rock

Edited by Alawadhi
  • Like 1

Feels great to do this at last (in 2007 i wanted it so bad but unfortunately they could not find me a judge). :rock

Congrats! You Destroyed it. Hopefully I can join you on the list soon.

Congratulations on the red nail cert!!!!!

Thanks guys :rock Waiting for IM reply still. So race to the Gold Nail? HAHAHA I go with the 3/8 brass, then 5/16 drill rod, then a shiny, then big G5, then 3/8 fbbc, then a big g8/fbbc sq, then a gold. We'll see

The race to the gold will be more like a death march.

Congratulations on taking down the Red!

• 4 weeks later...

It's time for the rest of you guys to join the red nail list!

Constantly on my mind. I'm picking up the intensity with bending to get this goal accomplished soon. No matter what it takes, I will be on that list. Your videos on youtube are very motivational David.

I'm hoping to complete the cert by the end of the year. If not I'm confident I will have it before March of next year.

So I just finished my bending workout for this week. Offed 4 Reds in BB wraps, 1 in IMPs! I had a missed attempt earlier in the workout and decided to try a different approach. I had been using a pretty exaggerated pistol grip with my hands very far towards the ends of the bar. This was tearing the hell out of my palms between my index and thumb. I switched to a more wrist dominant grip which seemed to put a lot more force into the bar, instead of across the soft tissue of my hands. Gettin' closer to a cert!

Been a month or so lay off with bending but recently found a way to fit it in my AW specific routine. Trying to get back in this race!

Isaiah I actually tried this my last 2 bending sessions and had immense pain in the same spots, especially by the middle joint of my index fingers. It was really the stopping point for me on my big bends with a G5. Also had tried doing the G5 in IM wraps so needless to say it was a show stopper. Need to get my normal pistol grip back with the suede wraps and knock out some G5's to get my confidence back up.