Race To The Red Nail

Chez

I hear you. I've actually been avoiding curls for that exact reason. But yeah that stretch helps me a lot. I hope it helps you. I'll try to give you some pointers on your next video post if you like. Also sending vids to other benders for feedback would help. Keep at it brother.

I posted a video a few pages back of me bending the square stock, would you care to critique the video for me? All I know of bending is what I have watched on Youtube and I think I also bend low like chez. I need all the pointers or to be pointed in the right direction because right now I am bending, but probably not to my fullest potential. Thanks for any and all help. I will post more videos.

The height of the bar on your bend is pretty good. The correction on form I would give, from what I can see, is to keep your elbows higher. This will keep the bar from being pushed down in the bend. You want to push your shoulders and elbows forward into the bar and not down. If you imagine there is a plane starting at the bottom of your shoulders extending out perpendicular from your spine that you cannot cross, this will help you to stop your elbows and arms from going down. When you attack the bar you will push forward with your elbows and arms parallel to that imaginary plane to bend. Bending your torso forward will give you more power combined with this concept. But it is your torso that moves down, not your elbows! Also it appears you're bending using almost all wrist strength from the looks of your form, which if you're trying to build wrist strength is a great way to go about it. However, if you're trying to bend the strongest bar possible you will want to start the bend with your hands further out towards the ends of the bar. And lastly, when you film yourself be sure to have a shot wide enough to see your entire torso and head area. This will allow others to have a contextually better image of your bending form, and will allow for more a accurate critique. All the best!

• Like 1

I really appreciate your critique and reading it has helped me grasp the whole " form" concept better than these last six months of watching videos and reading articles that I don't have to pay for. I am trying to go with hands closer together for wrist strength, but every now and then I do bend some bigger stock with my hands on the outer ends of the bar. I have bent 5/16 x 7" HRS in IM pads before with my hands closer together, but that was after a very stressful day at work and I felt completely stress free after that bend. Thanks again.

No worries man. Glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a training session at my house today with 3 other grip board members. After a long grip workout we decided to do a little bending. I wasn't going to try a red because I was pretty tired but the other guys encouraged me and it finally happened today. My First Full Red Nail Bend in Ironmind pads double overhand and under 1 Minute.

First Red Nail Bend!

One of the guys took a video on his phone and I'll upload as soon as he sends it. I was really amazed when it started to bend. Really freaking happy right now.

• Like 8

i knew you had it in you bud! great job!

Thanks a lot dude. You have really helped motivate me these last couple months. You're just a really good guy and appreciate all your help. Jobs not done yet. I gotta make sure these are easy so I can get on that list.

Never happened. LOL! :laugh:rock:laugh

Never happened. LOL! :laugh:rock:laugh

haha. The saying goes: Video or it never happened:

I thought my hands were higher but I'm still dropping my hands to chest level with bends that are at my max. Pretty sure I had my hands higher with all the warm up bends. Gotta take the rubber bands off next.

• Like 3

Awesome bend man! Congrats.

• Like 1

Awesome bend man! Congrats.

Thanks buddy!

Dude, Chez! Killer bend! Great progress! Next the cert.

• Like 1

Very inspiring. I might just do a bending vid right now.

Dude, Chez! Killer bend! Great progress! Next the cert.

Thanks buddy! We both got this.

EASY :rock To the red cert!

Enter. It's open for everyone!

EASY :rock To the red cert!

Is it too late to get in on this action? I want in!

Of course you can join. The race is for everyone to cert in their own time and doesn't stop when one person accomplishes the goal. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Completely forgot about posting for the race. Sunday I destroyed a G5 and almost got a G8 so as of right now I'm shooting for the RED in my suede wraps by end of this year. Will try for IM pads but for now I want to just focus on getting the bend.

Brain I think you will get that sucker before this year ends!

I am in the process of certification. I'm waiting for the nails to be sent to my judge.

Exciting!

• Like 5

I am in the process of certification. I'm waiting for the nails to be sent to my judge.

Exciting!

Nice! Kill it! Get some video dude. We all want to see.

Exciting!

Definitley want to see that vid. I remember one of your first posts where you were having trouble with the yellow the same time I was and now your ready to cert the Red. That is extremely impressive!

Ive been looking at this thread a lot lately. The recent video from Chez inspired me to try a little bending tonight. I took three pieces of drill rod bent to 30 degrees I got from Mike K and a red nail. I had a 355, 375, and 405 piece of DR. They all went fairly easy. The red was next.

I definitely need to toughen up the skin. Although this is the first time my middle finger knuckle has torn that bad. Pretty happy since my last bend was around 7 months ago.

• Like 1