Race To The Red Nail

Chez

Brian, it's really awesome to see you persevere all the way through to completing this goal! Well done man!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update on my progress so far. I recently got my order in for 75 Reds, 25 Grade 5's and a few Grade 2 5/16 bolts (6") and 2 extra IM pads. At the moment I've only bent 2 Red Nails within 2 iniches and hard kinked 3. Since my return from being sick I've been able to formulate a plan based off alot of advice I've been getting and this is what I've come up with so far.

• I can kink and move the Red nail faster now than I could before but in Double Wraps so the Nail is feeling physically easier to bend. Once I transition to the crush the double wraps provide too much padding absorbing my efforts so I need to switch to singles to finish it off. The big problem is that the transition to singles for crush lets the nail cool down and causing for a multi minute effort to bend it. I honesty know for a fact that once I get my hands better conditioned and I can kink the Red in singles that I'll have no issues crushing the Red within 1 minute. I can just feel it move easier with each hit.
  • I've improved my strength in crushing with weighted dips, chest lifts and gripper crushes but it's still not at the point where I can take a cold semi bent red and finish it off. Especially if it's off centered so I'll continue to work on that.
  • Double wraps are great to limit the pain but because there a bit fatter than singles I end up not having my hands at equal distances causing for off centered bends which at this point are a bitch to finish.
  • Working to get my hands and fingers much tougher through conditioning with short 60d's and grade 5's and the new addition of 5/16 grade 2s.
  • I know everyone says you need to focus on 7" steel for the Red and it's true but my fingers can't handle the bigger steel in singles at the moment so once they can, I'll only be bending Reds.

Well that's my progress so far. Sorry for such a long winded post but I wanted to be thorough in case anyone is at a similar point and can relate. I'm 100% positive at this point it's just about the finger pain and getting them conditioned. That's the only thing holding me back. Once I kink the Red in single wraps, it's OVER. Good news is my fingers are feeling much more conditioned with constant attempts in singles on grade 5's and the sort. Very soon.............

Just a quick update on my progress so far. I recently got my order in for 75 Reds, 25 Grade 5's and a few Grade 2 5/16 bolts (6") and 2 extra IM pads. At the moment I've only bent 2 Red Nails within 2 iniches and hard kinked 3. Since my return from being sick I've been able to formulate a plan based off alot of advice I've been getting and this is what I've come up with so far.
  • I can kink and move the Red nail faster now than I could before but in Double Wraps so the Nail is feeling physically easier to bend. Once I transition to the crush the double wraps provide too much padding absorbing my efforts so I need to switch to singles to finish it off. The big problem is that the transition to singles for crush lets the nail cool down and causing for a multi minute effort to bend it. I honesty know for a fact that once I get my hands better conditioned and I can kink the Red in singles that I'll have no issues crushing the Red within 1 minute. I can just feel it move easier with each hit.
  • I've improved my strength in crushing with weighted dips, chest lifts and gripper crushes but it's still not at the point where I can take a cold semi bent red and finish it off. Especially if it's off centered so I'll continue to work on that.
  • Double wraps are great to limit the pain but because there a bit fatter than singles I end up not having my hands at equal distances causing for off centered bends which at this point are a bitch to finish.
  • Working to get my hands and fingers much tougher through conditioning with short 60d's and grade 5's and the new addition of 5/16 grade 2s.
  • I know everyone says you need to focus on 7" steel for the Red and it's true but my fingers can't handle the bigger steel in singles at the moment so once they can, I'll only be bending Reds.

Well that's my progress so far. Sorry for such a long winded post but I wanted to be thorough in case anyone is at a similar point and can relate. I'm 100% positive at this point it's just about the finger pain and getting them conditioned. That's the only thing holding me back. Once I kink the Red in single wraps, it's OVER. Good news is my fingers are feeling much more conditioned with constant attempts in singles on grade 5's and the sort. Very soon.............

I am at a similar point, maybe not quite as far as you. I found some 5/16" CRS at the hardware store and I cut it to 7". This in theory is a Red nail, but this steel is a bit easier. I can bend it in IMPs, but I am working on the finger conditioning with the actual Reds. So, this might be an option for you to work on 7" stuff that will condition the fingers.

Finding the lengths locally is a big issue for me. The Home Depot's and Lowes have crap and I was lucky to even find Grade 2 5/16 but only at 6 inches.These feel perfect for conditioning. The only way I can get 7" steel a little weaker than a red is online but then you have to go through the hassle of paying shipping which sometimes comes out more than the damn steel. For now I'm stuck with my tough stock for conditioning being 1/4 6" Grade 5's, Grade 2 5/16 (6") and cut down galvanized 60D's.

Home depot and lowe's have 3' pieces of 5/16" HRS and CRS. That HRS feels like CRS. They're maybe 20# easier than a red. Great stuff to work on.

It takes time to condition the hands. Some people use Tough foot to strengthen the skin on their hands. Others just do high volume bending workouts.

Daniel, I'll give it another look because that really would be a huge help.

It takes time to condition the hands. Some people use Tough foot to strengthen the skin on their hands. Others just do high volume bending workouts.

Dude......This stuff looks awesome!!!! I'm not wasting time and will look to order some now. I'm going to do a combo of this and high volume bending. Great recommendation!

• Like 1

The bar stock is near the bolt section. There should bar small bar stock and sheet metal section.

that tuff foot is good stuff. Definitely helps with skin shredding.

Are you guys talking about the Tuf foot for dogs? If so, I might have to try this.

Are you guys talking about the Tuf foot for dogs? If so, I might have to try this.

Yessir.

Just ordered Tuf-foot. I read the dog and human versions are the same exact thing. Just marketed different. Once I try it out for a few weeks I'll report back.

Just got an order in from FBBC. I got some Bastards and Shinies. Wrapped up a Bastard in some BB wraps. Holy crap! It took me 10 minutes to bend the damn thing. I was cussing a lot. And yelling. And spitting. Chalk everywhere. Needless to say, my strength has diminished from 3 months not bending significant stock. At least I have stock to bend.

Took down a Black grade 8 from benders battlefield today in single IMPs. It went fast also. I have been told they rate around 500 lbs to bend. Finally starting to get my bending strength back.

• Like 1

Took down a Black grade 8 from benders battlefield today in single IMPs. It went fast also. I have been told they rate around 500 lbs to bend. Finally starting to get my bending strength back.

Nice man! Need to get 7" stock and work on that for the red. Let me know if you need anything. I just cut up all my rods to 7" and organized it all today.

Just got an order in from FBBC. I got some Bastards and Shinies. Wrapped up a Bastard in some BB wraps. Holy crap! It took me 10 minutes to bend the damn thing. I was cussing a lot. And yelling. And spitting. Chalk everywhere. Needless to say, my strength has diminished from 3 months not bending significant stock. At least I have stock to bend.

Interesting. I've never lost any strength even after 10+ months. Technique can suffer bigtime though. You'll be back to killing the stuff in no time flat. I want to see a badass bend from you at the March comp! If my hand heals I'll go for something big too.

Yeah. Could be a lot of stuff. I haven't been lifting big weights either so that is probably a factor. I'm training dude! Hoping to add some pounds to my totals from October! I'll bring something BIG to bend!

Thanks for the encouragement Dan!

What happened to your hand?

Went for the crush waaay too soon on a 5.5" red today. At around 80 degrees I tried to crush it. Heard alot of pops and cracks from my left palm. Then got immediate swelling. Did a modified grip sweep to 88 degrees and needed to crush it from there but couldn't due to the palm. Crap. After that took a 505# 7" bar from 18 degrees to 98 degrees in 6 hits. That's the crush zone for 7" so had to stop there. I should have done the 505 bar first. I may have been able to finish it and I want that bend way more. Oh well. Might be a little bit until the palm can take a full crush hit. The strength is doing really well. Despite being sick as a dog yesterday and margainally better today, bending feels good. I may not have been hydrated enough or something today. Or my conditioning is a little behind. I can still kink so will train that and benching in lue of crushing. I don't think it will affect the big picture much.

I saw your log thread. That sucks bro. Hope you heal well and soon.

Nice man! Need to get 7" stock and work on that for the red. Let me know if you need anything. I just cut up all my rods to 7" and organized it all today.

Interesting. I've never lost any strength even after 10+ months. Technique can suffer bigtime though. You'll be back to killing the stuff in no time flat. I want to see a badass bend from you at the March comp! If my hand heals I'll go for something big too.

Thanks a lot for the offer Daniel. I have some Drill Rod M bars cut to 7 inch length that I'm going to start working with. I have been delaying it because I needed my bending strength to come back with 6 inch stuff first. Felt like a major sissy with bending these last couple months.

Those bars are as hard as the Shinies I got. The first batch of bastards I had were around (est) 440. Just noticeably harder than reds. I bent them easily in BB wraps and just got one in IMPs. This month I have bent a rated 445# and then 465# in IMP's and I can barely wobble the new batch of bastards in BB wraps. Makes them 480-490 imo.

Those bars are as hard as the Shinies I got. The first batch of bastards I had were around (est) 440. Just noticeably harder than reds. I bent them easily in BB wraps and just got one in IMPs. This month I have bent a rated 445# and then 465# in IMP's and I can barely wobble the new batch of bastards in BB wraps. Makes them 480-490 imo.

Well, if that's the case then I'm right where I should be. If not, I have a lot of work to do! I was surprised at how difficult it was. It definitely did not feel anything close to a Red. The crush was immense! But therein lies the problem, I've never bent any rated steel, and am always going off feeling. Thanks for the reply Mike!

well, its definitely not a pretty bend but I took down a 6 inch Red Nail today in single IMPs. It took me 3 attempts with a couple mins rest in between each one and the form is god awful. At least I was persistent enough to finish it off. I was not very flexibility today and had to straight muscle the bar.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

well, its definitely not a pretty bend but I took down a 6 inch Red Nail today in single IMPs. It took me 3 attempts with a couple mins rest in between each one and the form is god awful. At least I was persistent enough to finish it off. I was not very flexibility today and had to straight muscle the bar.

Brute strength!

Was bound and determined that tonight was the night for my first full single IM pads Red nail bend and after rubbing my hands raw for a few minutes it finally happened. That's one helluva feeling. Didn't get a video, but got some after photos.