Race To The Red Nail

Chez

The offending area is directly in the center of my palms. I'm going to try to the Tuf foot and give it a little time. Thanks for the help Daniel. If I get desperate I might try to tape my palm :)

it takes time. you have to convince the body to change the type of skin that it regrows in a specific area. there is no shortcut. but absolutely you need to let them heal before you stress them again. maybe try doing some volume bending in IMP's rather than a big bend every time. when I started this push for the red i spent 3 weeks bending like 200+ 60D nails just to condition my hands. i would kink 30 at a time, then come back and crush them later.

60D_zpse547144b.jpg

Any balm or ointment will help your skin heal. Neosporin even. Conditioning takes time man. There are no shortcuts. Work. Rest. Treat. Repeat.

Edited by Idiedintothe

I ripped flesh and skin off the side of my index finger last saturday when I was bending in IMPs.

It wasnt fully healed yesterday when I started bending again so I took duct tape and wrapped a around the wounded area.

I could bend this way without crying from pain :)

I took a Im Red down in IMPs and suede in 2 hits. Went to 90 degrees in 2 hits. Felt nice. Got the technique down somewhat.

I wanna thank all of you who have taught me this and that to improve my technique.

When I cert on the red, you are to thank guys!

Yeah, sounds like impatience is my problem. Lol. Again, thanks for all of the help guys.

Front sledge deadlifts in the mean time will work that DO iso wrist position.

+1

And holds for time.

Front sledge deadlifts in the mean time will work that DO iso wrist position.

+1

And holds for time.

Do you hold it in the front position? I need to go buy a sledge hammer which weight do you think is best for training deadlifts and holds for? Eventually want to get a shot loadable one and a half tire from here http://www.strongergrip.com/products/SLS-%28Shot-Loadable-Sledgehammer%29.html

Tommy, how long do you do holds and how far down the handle are you? I've only been doing it a short time and think max weight/length that can be held for 5 seconds might be the best replication of the stress of a bend. Not sure what more experienced sledgers are doing though.

Edited by daniel reinard

Tommy, how long do you do holds and how far down the handle are you? I've only been doing it a short time and think max weight that can be held for 5 seconds might be the best replication of the stress of a bend. Not sure what more experienced sledgers are doing though.

i have my sledge marked every inch for 15 inches up the sledge. when i start my levering, ill put my index finger on the 10 inch mark, and ill hold that for a ten count. after ive done both hands at ten inches, ill move straight to 5 inches and repeat. on my third and final set, ill grab on the end of the sledge and do a max hold for time (until the 90 degrees goes away) in my right hand, then match that time with my left. its imprtant to keep the wrist strength equal for a more center bend. bends that go offcenter are actually harder to crush.. so to avoid this, i do the levering ive described above.

on this note, while the static strength your gaining from the front holds is indeed what you want for DO bending, it is equally imprtant to do these same holds to the rear for a balanced wrist.

This sounds great. I have an 8# sledge at home, so I'll test this out. Thanks for the tips.

I worked this for the first time the other day as a test for my upcoming comp. Did it strict with a penny on the head. The next day the outer elbow muscles were nice and sore from a good working. Didn't feel it in the tendons, just the muscle. Got to 20" measured to the pinky from the head on a 10# with wooden handle. Mad respect for people who deadlift the whole thing, eg. Wigren on a 5kg sledge.

Just finished a workout with my brother. He was able to kink a Red to about 55 degrees just now! Super impressive considering this batch. I wrapped one up after finishing off one of my tough ass Bastards( In 5 minutes or so. Progress!) and I couldn't get that sucker under cert conditions! Super tough! I'd say there around 450-460. If my Bastards are 480-ish. Definitely a surprise for anyone trying to cert with this batch!

• Like 1

Just finished a workout with my brother. He was able to kink a Red to about 55 degrees just now! Super impressive considering this batch. I wrapped one up after finishing off one of my tough ass Bastards( In 5 minutes or so. Progress!) and I couldn't get that sucker under cert conditions! Super tough! I'd say there around 450-460. If my Bastards are 480-ish. Definitely a surprise for anyone trying to cert with this batch!

Did you just get the bastards also? Mike sharkey was saying he thought they were close to 500. I got mine last month and was the one I bent recently. Great job by your brother man that is awesome. I don't know of any brothers who have both certed on the red but you might be the first, very cool if so.

Did you just get the bastards also? Mike sharkey was saying he thought they were close to 500. I got mine last month and was the one I bent recently. Great job by your brother man that is awesome. I don't know of any brothers who have both certed on the red but you might be the first, very cool if so.

Yep. Just got 'em about a month ago as well. Tough as hell. I'm seeing some very slow progress. It's looking like he might cert this thing. The Holle brothers are cert'd on the Red I believe. Still it'd be cool to see his name up there also.