Race To The Red Nail

Chez

The Bastards I recently received are at least 50# harder then the Reds.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Just started to mess around with Double Underhand Bending. I know I won't cert the red DU but I want to start training all styles of bending to mix up training, become more well rounded and keep things interesting.

Good bend dude but that won't help you cert the red. The ONLY thing you need to cert the red is refined DO technique. The strength is there. Doing other styles won't translate into DO strength. The wrists are taxed in different ways and most those gains won't carry over to DO. If you are in a race to the red, then hit only 7" DO. I cannot stress this enough.

Edited by daniel reinard

Good bend those galvanized 60d nails vary like crazy. I had some that were not that hard but then some that felt twice as hard. Anything in one pad is difficult thought, nice job.

If you're down pick a bending goal for yourself for after the comp. I'll do the same. Then we can hammer the steel post comp.

I want to hit an Edgin by then. I doubt I will though. I'm trying to think of something right around 510 - 515. I guess i'll see how my workout goes next week.

I tested the wrist on a 1/4" bar last night. Lots o pain on the kink and the crush was too much to bear. Looks like I won't try bending until after the comp which gives me a month to focus on the comp and to be injury free by then. Sorry dude. You should still smash something.

Thanks guys. I was just messing around with DU because I haven't done it much and wanted to try it out. I'll be back to DO next session. After the Red, I plan on expanding my bending experience and may even try horseshoes.

If you're down pick a bending goal for yourself for after the comp. I'll do the same. Then we can hammer the steel post comp.

I want to hit an Edgin by then. I doubt I will though. I'm trying to think of something right around 510 - 515. I guess i'll see how my workout goes next week.

I tested the wrist on a 1/4" bar last night. Lots o pain on the kink and the crush was too much to bear. Looks like I won't try bending until after the comp which gives me a month to focus on the comp and to be injury free by then. Sorry dude. You should still smash something.

No worries Dan-o. injuries happen. Heal up buddy.

Thanks guys. I was just messing around with DU because I haven't done it much and wanted to try it out. I'll be back to DO next session. After the Red, I plan on expanding my bending experience and may even try horseshoes.

That's cool man! Horseshoes look fun!

Tonight's 7 inch Steel Practice: 7 Inch M Drill Rod Double Overhand. I had to do this is in Single bender's battlefield wraps though because my right index finger was crazy sore during my warm up bends in single IMPs. My hands still need to toughen up.

7 Inch M Drill Rod

Nice Chez! Any idea what those rods are rated at?

Got a few attempts to show. Results are the same as last week I'm afraid.

http://youtu.be/xA8Ch4s9aDo

http://youtu.be/RpUtnAifJ8A

Got a G5 bend and a G8 attempt from my younger brother to show! He's been bending with me off and on for the past year but really started to put some effort into it in the past 5 months or so. He's making good progress!

http://youtu.be/p1sC-c67ObE

http://youtu.be/TYgDi2jvCj0

Vids are kinda blurry!

Edited by Idiedintothe
  • Like 1

Mine too Chez. I wobbled a red tonight in IM pads and had to stop because it took some flesh with it. Good bend man!

Nice Chez! Any idea what those rods are rated at?

Got a few attempts to show. Results are the same as last week I'm afraid.

http://youtu.be/xA8Ch4s9aDo

http://youtu.be/RpUtnAifJ8A

Got a G5 bend and a G8 attempt from my younger brother to show! He's been bending with me off and on for the past year but really started to put some effort into it in the past 5 months or so. He's making good progress!

http://youtu.be/p1sC-c67ObE

http://youtu.be/TYgDi2jvCj0

Vids are kinda blurry!

Good Effort Buddy. Its funny that we are like total opposites. Your Kink is super strong while mine stinks and you struggle on the crush while that is my strength.

Mike Sharkey says the M bars average around 380-390 lbs while Aaron's site had them listed at 405 lbs: http://www.az-grip.com/calibration.php

Edited by Chez

Mine too Chez. I wobbled a red tonight in IM pads and had to stop because it took some flesh with it. Good bend man!

Thanks dude. We are going to get this. We both have the strength. We just gotta keep bending to toughen up our hands and improve our technique.

Some 7 inch bends from yesterday's training session. M Drill Rod and Red Nail in bender's Battlefield wraps. My index finger is still sore but much better. I'm going to rest it for 3 or so days and then go all out with IMPs again.

• Like 1

Great job big guy - your progress is really starting to gain momentum - ride the wave!

Great job big guy - your progress is really starting to gain momentum - ride the wave!

Thanks buddy. I have had my ups and downs with bending but I'm still fighting.

Are there hand conditioning tips that anyone would like to share? I bent a few warm up pieces last night and then a few 1/4"x6" square stock and after that I put away 2 Reds in about 3 minutes total ( I have only fully bent 1 red before this and it took about 5 minutes and 2 blisters, Go me!) and that rubbed a big blister as always on the center on my palm. I did'nt want to stop so I wrapped up a grade2 5/16"x 6 bolt and kinked and started sweeping it and then I felt a burning in my hand, I had rubbed the huge blister off. I am trying to toughen my hands but I don't know the proper way, if there is one to do it. Also, does the Tuf foot stuff produce dramatic results and is it worth the $15 dollars for an 8oz bottle. All my bending is done in single IM pads. All help is appreciated. Thanks

Edited by acromegaman

Like you said, bending in IMP's conditions the hands. I use tuf foot a lot and its great to build up thicker skin, but the area in the center of my plans gets super calloused and dry from chalk, lately I have been pumicing it with a stone and using coconut oil alternatively with the tuf foot. Kind of like how you would condition leather, which is after all skin. I alternate kink sessions with crush session and this seems to allow my skin time to heal & also this way its only stressing the skin in one direction per workout, which is less likely to remove a chunk than going back and forth in different directions.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

As said get some rest. Salt water soaks have helped my hands heal from tears quickly but remember that tissue is still new. Give them a bit of time.

Thanks guys. I am rubbing blisters on my hands every session and I want to do more but my hands wont let me. Do any of you have a good resource on hand care in this respect. I read a lot of vague comments on the board about how guys do this or that but that little bit of info doesn't really help me . Nbranson, can you please elaborate on your salt water treatments?

Tuf foot helps but it isn't an end all. I suggest letting them heal because they will keep tearing until some new skin grows in. Also don't be afraid to use single leathers. A soft set of leathers can feel similar to IMPs but will offer more protection against tears. Electrical tape over problem areas helps too. It can help hold things together better.