Race To The Red Nail

Chez

IM found me a judge. I'll attempt my cert after my wedding and honeymoon. Yesturday i bent 17 60d's for warmup, attempted 70d but didnt budge. I guess my technique was off on the 7". Then went to for g8. Bent it fast. Then a 6" fbbc sq. Also fast less than 30 seconds. I remember it being harder than the Reds. So i guess my techniques is off on the 7". All bend in IM pads.

• Like 1

IM found me a judge. I'll attempt my cert after my wedding and honeymoon. Yesturday i bent 17 60d's for warmup, attempted 70d but didnt budge. I guess my technique was off on the 7". Then went to for g8. Bent it fast. Then a 6" fbbc sq. Also fast less than 30 seconds. I remember it being harder than the Reds. So i guess my techniques is off on the 7". All bend in IM pads.

Awesome. Good luck. Kill it.

17 60d's? Wow! That's a heck of a warm up.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want this thread to die out. I'm still bending but I'm focused on reverse bending right now to get ready for world's strongest hands in August. The second event is the wrist developer and I don't own one so I'm doing reverse bends to compensate.

Here are some reverse bends from the other day:

As soon as WSH is over, I'll focus on DO again. How is everyone else doing towards this goal?

Nice bends Chez! And good progress! My progress has slowed significantly since reaching the Red. I'm still mastering it in my BB wraps and my goal is bending the damn thing in IMP's. I'm beginning to see what a feat of not only strength, but physical and mental toughness it is to bend this nail under certification conditions. It's quite a feat!

Thanks for the encouragement Tommy. I was wondering when my progress would start to slow down. I was hitting new PR's every two weeks when I first started. It seems that I'm actually reaching my physical limits instead of just working up to them. This is pretty cool to me. It tells me that the PRs I make past this point will be true increases in my limits.

Some of them are softer! It throws ya for a loop some times!

Thanks for the encouragement Tommy. I was wondering when my progress would start to slow down. I was hitting new PR's every two weeks when I first started. It seems that I'm actually reaching my physical limits instead of just working up to them. This is pretty cool to me. It tells me that the PRs I make past this point will be true increases in my limits.

I hit plateaus with grippers like that. I'll go nuts and hit a PR every workout for weeks then it stalls. I keep plugging away and then all of sudden, my strength soars again. You will get it buddy. You are naturally very good at bending. I read that IM is coming up with a black nail that is suppose to be between the red and gold so even after the red, you will still have something to strive for. I think Tommy would probably be able to bend the black right now or with minimal training.

I hit plateaus with grippers like that. I'll go nuts and hit a PR every workout for weeks then it stalls. I keep plugging away and then all of sudden, my strength soars again. You will get it buddy. You are naturally very good at bending. I read that IM is coming up with a black nail that is suppose to be between the red and gold so even after the red, you will still have something to strive for. I think Tommy would probably be able to bend the black right now or with minimal training.

Do you know if they are going to come out with a 2.5 nail also between the blue and the red?

Do you know if they are going to come out with a 2.5 nail also between the blue and the red?

I didn't read anything about that. Most guys use 6 inch x 1/4 inch grade 5 and grade 8 bolts to bridge the gap between the blue and red. They are other pieces of steel that people use but I forgot them. I'm in the same situation. I can bend a blue easy but not the red so I have been bending grade 5's and kinked red nails.

I took down a Black Grade 8 Bolt rated at 500lbs tonight double overhand in IMPs tonight. It took a while and the form was mad sloppy but I finished it. Hell of a fight. I forgot to show the bolt head and wraps and I had to run mid video to get a ruler. I didn't actually think this was going to happen tonight.

thats wussup! grats on the PR homie! :rock

Thanks dude. Bending hurts. My palms are nice and sore right now :cry .

Chez, you're on Fire!!! Nice work!

I've gotten pretty comfortable reversing 60d and grade 2 bolts. Back in March I couldn't get those things to move at all. I have been able to put a few hits on a 6"x1/4" grade 5 and start a kink in it, but it is definitely going to take a few months to build up the wrist strength for that. I have also been doing splayed push-ups and kettlebell crush lifts to get my chest conditioned and hopefully not tear anything up when I'm chest crushing the harder bolts.

Chez, you're on Fire!!! Nice work!

I've gotten pretty comfortable reversing 60d and grade 2 bolts. Back in March I couldn't get those things to move at all. I have been able to put a few hits on a 6"x1/4" grade 5 and start a kink in it, but it is definitely going to take a few months to build up the wrist strength for that. I have also been doing splayed push-ups and kettlebell crush lifts to get my chest conditioned and hopefully not tear anything up when I'm chest crushing the harder bolts.

Thanks buddy. I have been doing a lot of levering for wrist strength since that was my main weakness. My kink is my weak point. I'm sure you are going to be taking down that Grade 5 soon.

So I just finished my bending workout for this week. Offed 4 Reds in BB wraps, 1 in IMPs! I had a missed attempt earlier in the workout and decided to try a different approach. I had been using a pretty exaggerated pistol grip with my hands very far towards the ends of the bar. This was tearing the hell out of my palms between my index and thumb. I switched to a more wrist dominant grip which seemed to put a lot more force into the bar, instead of across the soft tissue of my hands. Gettin' closer to a cert!

• Like 4

Martin - Can't wait to see you smashin' some big bars buddy! Chez - Crazy progress! You're gettin' close to that Red dude! Nice bending!

So I just finished my bending workout for this week. Offed 4 Reds in BB wraps, 1 in IMPs! I had a missed attempt earlier in the workout and decided to try a different approach. I had been using a pretty exaggerated pistol grip with my hands very far towards the ends of the bar. This was tearing the hell out of my palms between my index and thumb. I switched to a more wrist dominant grip which seemed to put a lot more force into the bar, instead of across the soft tissue of my hands. Gettin' closer to a cert!

Good stuff. You're getting close. I wanna see a cert video. Keep working hard.

Isaiah - you did 5 reds in one workout?!?!? Nice job man!!! That is amazing!!! :bow :bow :bow

wow your progress is unreal can you get a video up of some of your big bends?

Yummy - I'm not sure when I'll be able to post a video again. I have video of some older bends on this thread that you can check out.

@yummy - I believe Isaiah. His a really focused bender. He was making really good progress this winter, and he was bending at the AZ Cactus Grip Showdown like a madman.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope everyone's training is going well. I have been focusing on WSH events so I haven't done much DO bending since that Grade 8. Stay motivated guys. I'm attacking Double overhand bending as soon as WSH is over August 18th. I need to get this goal crossed off my list!

All,

buy lots of grade 5's, grade 8s, 5/16th x 7" HRS, 5/16ths x 7" Grade 2s and 5/16th x 7" Steelworks CRS ... not sure about other brands, but if you have access to a homedepot, they have steelworks there. Steelworks will get you used to the 5/16th" stock but is easier than Reds ... also get some leather, for sure, because there is nothing better than gaining confidence knowing that you've bend some 5/16ths stock in leather and then working your way to thinner wraps like IMPS. Feel yourself out ... if your hands/fingers start to hurt bad, lay off. Then go for a PR once you've had plenty of rest ... if you don't hit your PR, work back down to something managable and train volume for that workout. Repeat. Plenty of stretching and chest workouts will help also. In addition, I like to bend at the end of other grip work ... it gets me and my hands primed. Chop chop

Thanks for the heads up. How hard are the GR2's compared to the IM nail?

quite a bit easier unless you get a "freak" grade 2, but most are pretty darn easy.

If you guys are willing to spend the money, I would buy all 7" stock ... just buy drill rod from Fastenal that way you can buy all different diameters, but I would stick with 7" if you plan on certing on a 7" red nail

Are you sure the stock you get isn't from the DOW? Please let me know I'm new to the bending world. I feel the power well let me free or run?

I hope everyone's training is going well. I have been focusing on WSH events so I haven't done much DO bending since that Grade 8. Stay motivated guys. I'm attacking Double overhand bending as soon as WSH is over August 18th. I need to get this goal crossed off my list!

I am also doing the same thing. I have been quiet with the Bending but after WSH I will be Hitting the Bending Hard. Good luck at WSH Chez.

• Like 1

I am also doing the same thing. I have been quiet with the Bending but after WSH I will be Hitting the Bending Hard. Good luck at WSH Chez.

Thanks dude. Good luck to you as well. 3 of events I have little to no experience on so it should be interesting.

I've been slowing down. I'm running out of stock and won't have any money to purchase more for quite a while. My gripper strength is really taking off though! And you only have to buy those once!

• Like 1