Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

On another note, I clicked the 2.5 yesterday and held it closed but not completly closed for video proof yet. Tried a different approach that's been working across the board and seeing nice steady gains. One max effort heavy grip session and One volume session each week. It's working great right now.

What set did you use? Congratulations on the progress!!!

On another note, I clicked the 2.5 yesterday and held it closed but not completly closed for video proof yet. Tried a different approach that's been working across the board and seeing nice steady gains. One max effort heavy grip session and One volume session each week. It's working great right now.

If you really want to see gains on grippers, get your skinny butt to my house for a training session. J/K :) Brian is a super cool dude and a very strong Arm Wrestler. I see big things for him in grip as well.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

If you really want to see gains on grippers, get your skinny butt to my house for a training session. J/K :) Brian is a super cool dude and a very strong Arm Wrestler. I see big things for him in grip as well.

Thanks Chez!

bwwm, I used a MM set.

Hi all,

As this is a thread for Noob's to master the CoC 2.5, this seems to be the right place for me :)

I just joined the forum, have been using grippers for some months and can do a single TNS with the #2. Obviously the #2.5 is the next goal now. My challenge is to close this one also no-set. I plan to do a series of about three weeks heavy grip training, then take a week rest to let my hands fully recover and see how close I can get with the #2.5. If I can't close it, I'll repeat that cycle until the goal has been reached.

Edited by Knufy

Hi all,

As this is a thread for Noob's to master the CoC 2.5, this seems to be the right place for me :)

I just joined the forum, have been using grippers for some months and can do a single TNS with the #2. Obviously the #2.5 is the next goal now. My challenge is to close this one also no-set. I plan to do a series of about three weeks heavy grip training, then take a week rest to let my hands fully recover and see how close I can get with the #2.5. If I can't close it, I'll repeat that cycle until the goal has been reached.

Welcome aboard, its nice to have more people of same level to share their training progress.

How are you with mm-set on that #2,5 ?

Hi all,

that is a lofty goal. good luck.

Welcome aboard, its nice to have more people of same level to share their training progress.

Didn't try a MM-set yet. I bought my first Trainer about half a year ago and have been actively grip training for about 2.5 months. There is still a lot to learn, including setting techniques. But MM-set also goes a little bit against the approach I currently have. I use Pavel Tsatsouline's Grease the Groove approach as my current guideline in grip training. This means that:

• Training should be with a load which is at least 85% of my current 1RM. The nice thing is that CoC grippers are produced in such a way that each gripper needs about 85% of the force which is needed for the next level. It is therefore easy to select the right gripper with this approach. The drawback is that I need all the grippers including the x.5 intermediate grippers to gradually step up.
  • Never go to failure or exhaust the system
  • Train a lot of times per day, but be each time as fresh as possible.

The 85% rule defines which gripper I use for the training. If I can not or barely close a gripper, I use the level which is 0.5 steps below. If I can do a few reps with a gripper, that one is my choice. When I am doing office work, I have a timer on my computer which warns me every five minutes with a short signal. I grab the gripper, do one or a few reps with it, depending on how experienced I am with that level and continue regular work. The five minutes is long enough for full recovery because I don't see much decline in gripping power during the day.

I am doing this with a 48 to 72 hours interval to give my CNS, muscles and connective tissues enough rest before the next training session, although I don't normally feel any delayed onset muscle soreness. Using the 48 or 72 hours interval depends on the gripping force I can generate after two days. If this seems to be less than at my latest training day, I give my forearms an extra day of rest.

Training with MM-sets seems a little bit counterproductive to me in this approach, as it puts more strain on the hand over a shorter ROM, exhausting the system more. But I will try it in a few weeks when I do my periodical benchmark grip test.

Edited by Knufy

Didn't try a MM-set yet. I bought my first Trainer about half a year ago and have been actively grip training for about 2.5 months. There is still a lot to learn, including setting techniques. But MM-set also goes a little bit against the approach I currently have. I use Pavel Tsatsouline's Grease the Groove approach as my current guideline in grip training. This means that:

• Training should be with a load which is at least 85% of my current 1RM. The nice thing is that CoC grippers are produced in such a way that each gripper needs about 85% of the force which is needed for the next level. It is therefore easy to select the right gripper with this approach. The drawback is that I need all the grippers including the x.5 intermediate grippers to gradually step up.
  • Never go to failure or exhaust the system
  • Train a lot of times per day, but be each time as fresh as possible.

The 85% rule defines which gripper I use for the training. If I can not or barely close a gripper, I use the level which is 0.5 steps below. If I can do a few reps with a gripper, that one is my choice. When I am doing office work, I have a timer on my computer which warns me every five minutes with a short signal. I grab the gripper, do one or a few reps with it, depending on how experienced I am with that level and continue regular work. The five minutes is long enough for full recovery because I don't see much decline in gripping power during the day.

I am doing this with a 48 to 72 hours interval to give my CNS, muscles and connective tissues enough rest before the next training session, although I don't normally feel any delayed onset muscle soreness. Using the 48 or 72 hours interval depends on the gripping force I can generate after two days. If this seems to be less than at my latest training day, I give my forearms an extra day of rest.

Training with MM-sets seems a little bit counterproductive to me in this approach, as it puts more strain on the hand over a shorter ROM, exhausting the system more. But I will try it in a few weeks when I do my periodical benchmark grip test.

interesting you bring up the grease the groove technique. when i first started grippers about a year ago, all i had was the trainer. i would do 20+ sets of 10-15 reps throughout my day at work. i am a keyboard jockey but i wanted to try to mimic the effects of working with my hands throughout the day. the hope was that i would build strong tendons, ligaments, and skin to set me up for a long future of training. as i progressed up the scale of grippers, this technique fell off my radar.

i recently started doing this again. last week i did a 1.5 all day with sets of about 5. yesterday, i did singles all day on a ghp 5 (about a coc 2). the hope is that i will continue to toughen my hands to tolerate training with bigger grippers. a nice side effect is that the reps help me to hone my setting technique. people who work with their hands all day will always have a hand strength advantage over keyboard monkeys like me. this is my way to "work with my hands".

TentacleGrip don't sweat it bro, the people that show to to AW comps, amateurs or pro are insanely strong. I don't think I've ever been to a comp and thought yea that was easy. Just to give you a heads up too, some of the people that compete in amateurs are actually pros that have about 2-3 years experience but don't want to step up to the pro class for fear of losing and hurting their pride. Lately I've been seeing situations where people are competing in pro and amateur classes and to me it's a load of BS!

Amateur class should be reserved for people who are new to competing and should be limited to people with 1 year or less experience, sometimes up to 2 years depending on how many tournaments you've entered. I competed as an amatuer for my first year or so then when I won my first comp left handed I stepped up to the pro class. Been taking a beaten but I know the calibar that the Pro class holds and I want to be at that level one day so I'll just keep training hard. I compete at the 154lb class as well.

Thanks man. This one guy in particular at the comp that I totally underestimated had been competing for 5 years. He looked real light and had skinny arms, but ended up being the strongest guy I pulled in the division.

Anyways, live and learn man. I love training to win, but I always appreciate a loss. A win can be a bridge to the next level, but a loss to me is an important journey to better myself.

That being said, I'll want to compete in pro whenever I get the experience and strength to. May be a while, but still looking forward to it.

Hi all,

Hey man, welcome both to the gripboard and to my thread.

Whenever you make progress, have questions, or do a video, I'll be looking forward to seeing it here. :)

@bubba29:

Grease the groove has given me quite some progress in recent time. Dunno if it works with the very heavy grippers, but as long as progress is visible, I'll stick with it.

@TentacleGrip:

Thanks for the welcome! I am planning my first video in about 3 weeks. I hope I'll be able to show some reps with the #2 or a near close with the #2.5 by then.

@bubba29:

Grease the groove has given me quite some progress in recent time. Dunno if it works with the very heavy grippers, but as long as progress is visible, I'll stick with it.

@TentacleGrip:

Thanks for the welcome! I am planning my first video in about 3 weeks. I hope I'll be able to show some reps with the #2 or a near close with the #2.5 by then.

I think that grease the groove is awesome... however, at some point the jump from one gripper to another may be somewhat daunting at the higher levels... IMHO. Welcome about though, hope to see you closing the 2.5 soon.

@bubba29:

@TentacleGrip:

i just started my "grease the groove" training again. am i getting actual strength gains? not sure yet but i can say with confidence that it helps me get better at setting big grippers. a good set is important for me to close big grippers. bad set = failure. my hands just are big enough to give me much room for error.

@bubba29:

@TentacleGrip:

@Nufy - I used to use GTG for grippers until it got a bit much for my tendons/ligaments. I think GTG can work, but in the heavier grippers, one really has to be careful to make sure enough recovery is happening. Don't be afraid to take a day off or two, or drop some reps out of a given day. It also depends on what else you do that may tax your grip.

@bubba29:

@TentacleGrip:

@Nufy - I used to use GTG for grippers until it got a bit much for my tendons/ligaments. I think GTG can work, but in the heavier grippers, one really has to be careful to make sure enough recovery is happening. Don't be afraid to take a day off or two, or drop some reps out of a given day. It also depends on what else you do that may tax your grip.

monday i did a ton of singles on my ghp 5 from about 8 till 3. i knew i shouldn't push it past then. the ghp 5 is a big gripper for me. not my max but not a sure thing with a bad set. i was worried how i would react on my deadlift day on tuesday. hands were fine. that is my only gripper day of the week. other day(s) i'll do fat bar and pinch. so i only GTG one day a week. is that greasing the groove as Pavel defines it? no but if done right, i am thinking it may help my gripper strength.

Traded my RB for my friend's Vulcan today.

The spread on this thing feels unneccesarily huge. It feels more like a set trainer than anything, since the close is so damn easy compared to setting the thing.

In addition, anybody who's on here (especially Matt), what level can you close yours on?

I've closed mine on what I think is Lv.16, which I think is giving me too much credit...

Traded my RB for my friend's Vulcan today.

The spread on this thing feels unneccesarily huge. It feels more like a set trainer than anything, since the close is so damn easy compared to setting the thing.

In addition, anybody who's on here (especially Matt), what level can you close yours on?

I've closed mine on what I think is Lv.16, which I think is giving me too much credit...

It it's a retarded set... seriously it makes setting other grippers a walk in the park when you get used to it though. The 'levels' on the vulcan are pretty cumbersome,.. so I have no idea what level, as defined by david horne, that I can close. The biggest close that I've made is 7 notches up on the orange spring...

1 starting both ends at the first notch

1.5 being one end of the spring on first notch and the other end being on the second notch

1.5 being one end of the spring on first notch and the other end being on the second notch

Clarify this for me man, I didn't understand.

Also was the 7 notches on both sides?

I thought the levels were confusing at first, but it eventually clicked. Most springs (black, dipped end, etc) are gonna start at level 3, when set on the first notch on each side. To move up both sides one notch is to move up 3 levels. So with the black spring at the 2ND notch on each side is level 6. Level 4 is the rear only moved up, and level 5 is the front only moved up.

Ok....guess that's still kinda complicated. Lol. You'll get the hang of it.

Clarify this for me man, I didn't understand.

Also was the 7 notches on both sides?

If the spring is level then it is a whole number. If the spring is up higher on one end than the other then it is a whole number plus 1/2. Make sense?

(notch4) - - (notch3.5 & 4)

(notch3) - - (notch2.5 & 3)

(notch2) - - (notch1.5 & 2)

(notch1) - - (notch1)

Edited by hellswindstaff

Note: That is not David Hornes "Levels" system, because I don't care enough to figure it out. I'm just counting the notches to determine my progress.

I think the levels are great, it's a way to standardize everybody's strength on the device.

And speaking of... I realized that I had an orange spring, not a red.

So my vulcan levels are actually a whole lot lower than I first thought. Oh well!

Cool... we're at the same level of crush strength. Didn't you say that you closed the 2.5? Maybe you're still learning how to deal with setting the vulcan... it's a bitch I know.

Edited by hellswindstaff