Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

Dude.... that place sounds like it does rule. That's (bad word filter)ing SWEET that he is vegan and 500+lbs... how does that he even move?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm not sure how he moves, but just to give you an idea, his ankles are about 18 inches and his calves are probably 24+. His arms are definitely as big as my waist size. He's strong as hell. And he has girls hang off of his neck harness for neck training.

He's also got an AW table that has "REAL MEN LOVE BUNNIES" "VEGAN POWER" on the sides. :grin:

All in all, definitely a gentle giant.

Found this when I googled the place. Jedd, Andrew, and Adam take note. ;) I don't know where he's at training-wise, but this should be interesting to watch.

"Big Bald Mike is training for the the Mighty Mitts competition in 2013, a world-class grip competition that features an event to lift a 300lb dumbbell with a handle as thick as a soda can – to this day nobody has ever lifted it out of it’s box with one hand…. but he plans on being the first human to perform this feat of strength. He hopes to represent vegans in a way nobody has ever seen before, and that it will bring awareness to other athletes that incredible feats of strength can be achieved by following a compassionate, vegan diet."

Training wise, I saw him no-set a #2 and get a #3 pretty damn close. I don't think he specifically trains crush grip, and he doesn't set too well yet.

His open hand strength is off the charts, based on what I've heard. I could very well see him doing that feat of strength, if his open hand hasn't lost any power.

In other news, Mike plans to make a replica of the DB-in-box setup in his gym.

Taking a 1 week deload starting today, because my gripper strength (and overall strength) seem to have gone down.

Did a serious session of AW training today at a gym I was invited to in Kyle, called Bonebreaker Barbell.

The owner, Big Bald Mike, was a vegan, and the most enormous man I have ever seen... On the way there, Jarrod (AW Coach) called him 4 times my size, and I thought it was a joke. Happened to be true, he weighed in at 500+ lbs.

Definitely a place I'm going to visit regularly from now. Taking some friends too.

here is BBM in action.

Just out of interest has Mike been vegan for a long time (i.e. before he got so big)? I didn't think it was possible for a vegan diet to enable someone to get so fat.

Just out of interest has Mike been vegan for a long time (i.e. before he got so big)? I didn't think it was possible for a vegan diet to enable someone to get so fat.

No, he was a carnivore with an eating disorder before.

Since the beginning of this year, he's been a hardcore vegan, and he's lost 75#s already.

seems he was a vegetarian from early 09 to mid 2010. since then he has been a vegan. he has lost over 70 pounds since he started working with a doctor this past march. http://bigbaldmike.com/#!/who-is-mike/

seems he was a vegetarian from early 09 to mid 2010. since then he has been a vegan. he has lost over 70 pounds since he started working with a doctor this past march. http://bigbaldmike.com/#!/who-is-mike/

I just answered off the top of my head, so listen to this instead. :)

I have that exact same powerrack and I am a vegan... and I approve of this message.

Edited by hellswindstaff
  • Like 1

1-3 mm from closeing my 136.2 #2.5 on my right those last few mm are killer but I will take a vid next grip work out. :)

Good job man.

I'm resting this week again in preparation of my first AW tournament, coming this saturday. I'll be competing in the 154 amateur class, wish me luck!

I hear you on the 2.5# close. Mine is 138 and I can mms it pretty regularly, but CCS has been 1-2 millimeters from closing for months.

Good job man.

I'm resting this week again in preparation of my first AW tournament, coming this saturday. I'll be competing in the 154 amateur class, wish me luck!

You're currently at 154lbs?

I wish. I've got no idea what my current weight is, because I've sworn off stepping on scales more than once a month or unless necessary (weigh-ins).

I think I'll be getting more progress this way, I've been eating lots and taking mass gainer.

Come Saturday I'll see how much progress I've made but regardless I'll be competing under the weight since 154 is the lowest they have.y

I made my return for training for the 2.5 today. Today at the end of my session, as a test, I choked the 2.5 and was maybe 2mm with the right hand and .5in with the left. I really don't think that it's going to be long at all.

Also, upon close inspection of my set up, I believe the reason that my index joint bothered me was due to the setting technique which I am accustom to.

i worked with my 1.5 all day at work and during commutes doing mini sets. probably did between 150-200me reps each hand but more with my left. got home and tried the the 2.5. got it right and just a few mm away left.

my sets was better than ever on my left side. the practice throughout the day helped.

I am sore as a (creative expletive words)!

To give you guys an update, I pulled in 2 right and 2 left matches. I got flashed in all of them.

The level of competition there was incredible, even for the amateur light weight class.

That being said, I technically placed 4th on left because of a disqualification. I take it as a mark of shame. lol

I also got to see Mighty Joe and received my AW training strap from him. It's an amazing implement.

I'm planning to return to Europa in a year and placing much higher. I have a whole lot of training to do.

To give you guys an update, I pulled in 2 right and 2 left matches. I got flashed in all of them.

The level of competition there was incredible, even for the amateur light weight class.

That being said, I technically placed 4th on left because of a disqualification. I take it as a mark of shame. lol

I also got to see Mighty Joe and received my AW training strap from him. It's an amazing implement.

I'm planning to return to Europa in a year and placing much higher. I have a whole lot of training to do.

good for you for manning up and going to compete. a lot of people talk about it but never end up gettin the balls to do it.

Good work guys!

I moved my choker from GHP6 to my #3 (141lbs) and missed mms close on that GHP by 1mm. Also missed that #3 by 2-3mm from 15mm choke.

I really like these choker workouts so far, I was doing choker closes on that GHP6 and setting practice on #3 for few weeks and I hope to move up to choker closing #3 and setting on GHP7 soon.

But first I want to mms close that GHP6 which felt like a brick compared to my #2.5 at start of july when I bought it.

good for you for manning up and going to compete. a lot of people talk about it but never end up gettin the balls to do it.

Thanks man. I had a ton of fun at the comp and am looking forward to doing it again. Tommy competed in this one too, so he gets the honorary ballsyness trophy too.

Thanks man. I had a ton of fun at the comp and am looking forward to doing it again. Tommy competed in this one too, so he gets the honorary ballsyness trophy too.

+1 what Bubba said. You showed up, you did your best, and you probably know a lot more now about what you need to focus on than you did a few days ago.

Just for the record, I know nothing about AW. I'm impressed by your gumption.

Thanks Martin. Means a lot to me.

Just like you said, I do know a whole lot more about what I have to improve upon, namely my hits/"ready-gos".

It seems I'm lacking the overall arm strength that every other competitor seemed to have.

I'll be sure to train hard for my next tournament, possibly in October.

TentacleGrip don't sweat it bro, the people that show to to AW comps, amateurs or pro are insanely strong. I don't think I've ever been to a comp and thought yea that was easy. Just to give you a heads up too, some of the people that compete in amateurs are actually pros that have about 2-3 years experience but don't want to step up to the pro class for fear of losing and hurting their pride. Lately I've been seeing situations where people are competing in pro and amateur classes and to me it's a load of BS!

Amateur class should be reserved for people who are new to competing and should be limited to people with 1 year or less experience, sometimes up to 2 years depending on how many tournaments you've entered. I competed as an amatuer for my first year or so then when I won my first comp left handed I stepped up to the pro class. Been taking a beaten but I know the calibar that the Pro class holds and I want to be at that level one day so I'll just keep training hard. I compete at the 154lb class as well.

On another note, I clicked the 2.5 yesterday and held it closed but not completly closed for video proof yet. Tried a different approach that's been working across the board and seeing nice steady gains. One max effort heavy grip session and One volume session each week. It's working great right now.