Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

I've actually recently started including magnesium phosphate in my diet, aka epsom salt, dissolving about a 1/4 tsp in a quart of water and drinking it when winding down for bed. It's basically mineral water with a high magnesium content... not sure of the oral absorption rate of magnesium phosphate, but it definitely makes me more relaxed when I drink it and it's only 88c for a pound :P

If your system can handle it, then definitely go that route. For other folks it can have dramatic effects :excl:

I think that it's only a laxative in high doses, like 4-6 tablespoons(dont quote me on those numbers). I'm taking 1/4 teaspoon.

I'm to the point now where I can TNS a #2.5 pretty much every time. Still not able to CCS a #3, but I'm close. I can usually smash it from a 1.5" set. I'm not even going to think about certifying until I can TNS a #3 with the same consistency as a #2.5 now.

I'm to the point now where I can TNS a #2.5 pretty much every time. Still not able to CCS a #3, but I'm close. I can usually smash it from a 1.5" set. I'm not even going to think about certifying until I can TNS a #3 with the same consistency as a #2.5 now.

Congrats on the #2.5 closes, I'm very close to a #2.5 TNS, but can't quite get the last 1-2mm. Any tips on how to train that last little bit of the close from a compromised handle position?

Doing 1.5" set closes with the #3, as well as doing a wider variety of grip exercises (hub, rolling thunder, vulcan, fat gripz) has made me stronger all around. I didn't practice no-set closes for a few months...I only started back earlier this week. I dunno, the more I practice without a set, the more I prefer it. Seems like a great deal of energy is wasted on setting, especially deep sets. I really like the fluidity of a no-set close.

Don't get me wrong, setting to various depths is extremely beneficial in training. But at some point you can either close the gripper with one hand or you can't.

Doing 1.5" set closes with the #3, as well as doing a wider variety of grip exercises (hub, rolling thunder, vulcan, fat gripz) has made me stronger all around. I didn't practice no-set closes for a few months...I only started back earlier this week. I dunno, the more I practice without a set, the more I prefer it. Seems like a great deal of energy is wasted on setting, especially deep sets. I really like the fluidity of a no-set close.

Don't get me wrong, setting to various depths is extremely beneficial in training. But at some point you can either close the gripper with one hand or you can't.

Do you have large hands? With a no-set my middle finger is the only finger in a position that touches the other side of a gripper.

Do you have large hands? With a no-set my middle finger is the only finger in a position that touches the other side of a gripper.

8" from wrist to tip of middle finger...I'm guessing that's pretty average.

Just about half an inch larger to be exact. I'd say that half an inch is big with gripping strength, but then again look at Teemu.

8" from wrist to tip of middle finger...I'm guessing that's pretty average.

I'm just over 7 inches. However, I just moved the dogleg position in my hand and if I start from the position where is back farther than normal and I give it a slight set then it's almost a no-set. I'm just happy IM doesn't require it for a cert :P

I'm at 7.5, and I have a harder time trying to CCS grippers than TNSing them.

The compromised handle position gives me a lot of trouble.

What about you guys? Have this problem?

My fingertips of my middle and ring fingers are barely reaching over the handle of the gripper in a CCS with the standard position on the thumb pad... i wonder what IM will have to say about this when I can close the #3, #3.5, or #4, want to cert, and tell them about my predicament.

I'v been off grippers for a couple weeks now due to some injuries. Still can't really put much weight on my left leg, but I just could not stay away from grippers anymore.

Did some tns attempts and closed #2 with both hands, but somehow I feel like my left hand (off-hand, weaker in MMS) is stronger in tns than the right hand. It's hard to explain, but it's just easier to get my fingers on the handles on lefty, don't know why. Maybe my setting on left hand has allways been weaker thus it has developed more in the wider part of the close ?

Still alot of work to do to ccs or tns the #2,5.

To everyone out always because of injuries... if you don't change your ways then you won't be in this sport very long.

Good point, I had some wrist pains from doing negatives on my #3 which was just too brutal for me at this point. This is not the first time my wrists are hurt either, I'v had pain on them on several occasions years ago when I was doing manual work as a welder. I guess I need to strengthen them up slowly with other excersices to keep up. I'v actually done some ghetto-style levering with wooden kitchenchair for example :)

The leg injury has nothing to do with training.

Yeah, I think a CCS is awkward. I'd rather just not set it at all.

Did some tns attempts and closed #2 with both hands, but somehow I feel like my left hand (off-hand, weaker in MMS) is stronger in tns than the right hand. It's hard to explain, but it's just easier to get my fingers on the handles on lefty, don't know why. Maybe my setting on left hand has allways been weaker thus it has developed more in the wider part of the close ?

If you're right handed, then your right side is going to be better at the set than your left is, making it stronger in max attempts.

Then, we have the issue of the off hand being physically bigger than the other. People don't have perfectly symmetrical bodies, and 90% of the time, their left side is a bit bigger. My left hand is a 1/4 inch bigger than my right.

Also, the body has the tendency to be better at fine motor movements with the preferred side, and gross movements with the other.

Because of all these variations, your left is stronger at TNS and your right is stronger at MMS.

• Like 1

i am joining this thread again for my off hand. i am about a cm off with my left hand and want to close this damn thing. can do it pretty consistently with my right.

Good to have you back. How's your right hand coming along?

getting close to closing the ghp 6 which is a step up from the 2.5. it has been slow progress though. gonna keep on grindin while keeping healthy.

Cool. About how much harder does it feel?

I've wanted a GHP gripper just because I don't have one already, but because Wade probably meant them to be an alternative to the C.o.C.s, I already got their equivalents.

I'd get the GHP6, but I feel my 2.5 is stout and would be almost identical to one.

Cool. About how much harder does it feel?

I've wanted a GHP gripper just because I don't have one already, but because Wade probably meant them to be an alternative to the C.o.C.s, I already got their equivalents.

I'd get the GHP6, but I feel my 2.5 is stout and would be almost identical to one.

the ghp 6 is definitely harder than my 2.5. you may want the ghp 5 because i feel it is harder than a 2. may be a good training tool to progress to the 2.5. i love the knurling on the ghps and also feel the wider spread helped me develop a stronger set technique.

Edited by bubba29

I'm gonna list the grippers I have from 2.0-3.0 so you could possibly recommend me a ghp to get.

#2 (110ish) #2 Filed (107 before, prob. 115 ish now), GNC200 (120+ish), then my #2.5 (135-140ish), and my #3 (155+).

Maybe my GNC250 falls somewhere in between the 2.5 and 3, but I don't know.

So, based on that, what do you think is a good fit?

I'm gonna list the grippers I have from 2.0-3.0 so you could possibly recommend me a ghp to get.

#2 (110ish) #2 Filed (107 before, prob. 115 ish now), GNC200 (120+ish), then my #2.5 (135-140ish), and my #3 (155+).

Maybe my GNC250 falls somewhere in between the 2.5 and 3, but I don't know.

So, based on that, what do you think is a good fit?

how is your set? is it consistent and as deep as you want every time?

I ordered GHP6 and 7 in hope of making the transition from my #2,5 -> #3 smoother since that #2,5 seems to be much closer to #2 than #3. I also sent those c.o.c:s to be rated, really intrested of what they turn out to be.

Yeah my setting's been pretty good with both my hands. I tend to set really high up the finger side of the palm, it gives me great leverage.

So unless I'm burned out from something like AW practice (like I am now) my setting is no problem.

Yeah my setting's been pretty good with both my hands. I tend to set really high up the finger side of the palm, it gives me great leverage.

So unless I'm burned out from something like AW practice (like I am now) my setting is no problem.

then get the 6 and choke it down. then do some "negatives" kinney style. this where you cheat to get it closed the hold it for a ten count or so. that should help you get your 2.5 closed.