Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

At my best, I was about 1/8th of an inch away from shutting the #2.5.

This was a month or two ago, and I'm struggling to close a #2 now.

I took a week off and am back to training for it seriously though.

I can't close it from a set, but I touched the handles with my right hand which was probably the slowest inch of my life. lol. Have you tried it with a choker yet?

I've been getting better on the table lately though, ever since I've been practicing my hits.

I pull with 2 mexican guys who used to always beat me, but I've started to beat one of them (165#s, top-roller) pretty regularly and the other (175#s, hooker) once per practice or so.

I keep an armwrestling "hit-list" of people I want to beat, in the order of difficulty. Looking forward to crossing some names out.

Yeah I call him that all the time and he doesn't speak fluent English so me and the other dude get a kick out of it.

Some update, last couple weeks my crush strength was completly gone and I was struggling even in the warmups. I skipped workouts or just did some light training with #2, until today it was back on and with more power than ever. Closed easy #3 from 15mm choke with both hands and from 20mm width with right. Never even closed choked GHP6 before with left hand. I really need to figure out proper training cycle for myself, since I have no idea how to control this crush strength going on decline or peaking up. Maybe I just need to rest more? Currently I'm doing grippers 3-4 times a week, considering dropping it down to two and just adding more volume per exercise.

Hoping to finally MMS close that GHP6 in the next workout. (Didn't give it a go today, I re-choked it earlier and had few slight misses from 30mm after playing around with that #3)

I agree. I've been doing once a week for a while now, and that works for me.

Twice a week is common and I've heard of three times a week, but four is definitely too much.

I actually train four times a week. One max effort, one speed work, one submax closes regular speed, the other pure recovery with no eccentric. I also deload every fourth week and do no max effort work.

Oiled my gripper springs recently, and it made the close a bit easier and a lot smoother. A couple of days later I managed to get my #2.5 closed TNS with both hands. I'll have to wait a couple of days to recover and will try and get a video up of my next attempts. I usually train gripper once every 5 days or so, but will also mix in some levering etc, as well as lots of time spent hanging from a thickbar.

Some update, last couple weeks my crush strength was completly gone and I was struggling even in the warmups. I skipped workouts or just did some light training with #2, until today it was back on and with more power than ever. Closed easy #3 from 15mm choke with both hands and from 20mm width with right. Never even closed choked GHP6 before with left hand. I really need to figure out proper training cycle for myself, since I have no idea how to control this crush strength going on decline or peaking up. Maybe I just need to rest more? Currently I'm doing grippers 3-4 times a week, considering dropping it down to two and just adding more volume per exercise.

Hoping to finally MMS close that GHP6 in the next workout. (Didn't give it a go today, I re-choked it earlier and had few slight misses from 30mm after playing around with that #3)

good stuff. i have found that as i've progressed up the ladder of bigger grippers, i cannot train as often. can you mix in other types of hand/wrist training to get your fix and round out your strength?

Oiled my gripper springs recently, and it made the close a bit easier and a lot smoother. A couple of days later I managed to get my #2.5 closed TNS with both hands. I'll have to wait a couple of days to recover and will try and get a video up of my next attempts. I usually train gripper once every 5 days or so, but will also mix in some levering etc, as well as lots of time spent hanging from a thickbar.

nice job, that is strong. i am WAY off from TNS my 2.5 or even my GHP 5. 1.5 TNS is easy. i wonder if i had a narrower #2 if i could TNS that.

anyways, my gripper goal is to MMS my GHP 6. with some rest i may get it. i am going to seriously deload for a 9-29 competition so i may go after it hard then.

good stuff. i have found that as i've progressed up the ladder of bigger grippers, i cannot train as often. can you mix in other types of hand/wrist training to get your fix and round out your strength?

I'v done bending or thumb work sometimes after grippers, maybe I could do them on seperate days. I also really need to get my ass back to gym...

I'v done bending or thumb work sometimes after grippers, maybe I could do them on seperate days. I also really need to get my ass back to gym...

on the other hand, you just may have a huge capacity for training. i know for myself, i still feel i have "soft" hands. i have to be careful not to over work them. i am in it for the long haul. i will probably never get to the level of the top guys but i am OK with that. i am what i am.

i am enjoying the journey while trying to avoid major setbacks.

on the other hand, you just may have a huge capacity for training. i know for myself, i still feel i have "soft" hands. i have to be careful not to over work them. i am in it for the long haul. i will probably never get to the level of the top guys but i am OK with that. i am what i am.

That's just the thing I need to figure out, what works for me. I'v done alot manual labor and started going gym first time about 10 years ago, but I'v never really trained specifically for strength so this is still kind of unkown for me how my body responds to strength training. It's just hard to stay away from grippers when you dont feel the same kind of soreness in muscles as you do day after squatting or deadlifting.

That's just the thing I need to figure out, what works for me. I'v done alot manual labor and started going gym first time about 10 years ago, but I'v never really trained specifically for strength so this is still kind of unkown for me how my body responds to strength training. It's just hard to stay away from grippers when you dont feel the same kind of soreness in muscles as you do day after squatting or deadlifting.

imo, manual laborers have a definite strength and capacity advantage. you may just be able to sustain that kinda training. i know for myself, i do all day gripper training to try to mimic manual labor (i am a desk jockey). i'll do singles of my ghp 5 from about 8 in the morning till late afternoon. i feel it helps me. my max used to be a 2.5. now i can do that on command without chalk or a warm up. that is still the biggest gripper i've closed but i suspect i could get something a wee bit bigger if i had one to try. the ghp 6 still eludes me.

nice job, that is strong. i am WAY off from TNS my 2.5 or even my GHP 5. 1.5 TNS is easy. i wonder if i had a narrower #2 if i could TNS that.

anyways, my gripper goal is to MMS my GHP 6. with some rest i may get it. i am going to seriously deload for a 9-29 competition so i may go after it hard then.

Thanks! Training some MMS closes, but using a disadvantaged handle position has really brought along my TNS strength. I'm hoping that when I can consistently TNS my #2.5, I'll be able to CCS my #3.

In the Grip Strength Radio interview, Paul Knight mentioned he sometimes trains 2x/week, and will also back off to 1x/week until he feels recovered enough to try 2x/week again. I've been trying to do 2x/week pretty consistently, but I realize now I can't expect to always recover that fast.

Getting closer to a solid close on the 2.5. last 3 weeks for my max grip days I've been able to get a click but can't keep it fully closed long enough for a vid. Same thing happened again this morning but was able to rep out on the #2 and it felt a little easier than normal. Should be a few weeks out now before I can close the 2.5 for a vid.

Changed up my working sets with negative crushes for 5 sets on my RB adjustable 6-6 hard spring setting (CoC #3), then #2 over crushes, then a severely cut BBSA for a frew overcrushes.

In the Grip Strength Radio interview, Paul Knight mentioned he sometimes trains 2x/week, and will also back off to 1x/week until he feels recovered enough to try 2x/week again. I've been trying to do 2x/week pretty consistently, but I realize now I can't expect to always recover that fast.

For the past 6 months or so a 1 week deload from all max effort has kept me from feeling beat up at all. I think that it gives a lot of leeway for erroneous training, stress, lack of sleep, etc. Right now is the first time that I've felt beaten up in the past six months, which is due to going nuts on volume and skipping last months deload. The deloads have really helped me I know.

Edited by hellswindstaff

Finally got a #2.5 close TNS on video, haven't done any exercise at all in a few days. Got home yesterday, picked up the grippers and just felt great. Got a new PR lefty as well with 15 TNS reps of my #2. Got the #2.5 closed TNS lefty as well, but when I came to video the next attempt I just missed it - will put that up soon.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I would say that my left hand can only just do it for one rep, so probably about 10-15 range in terms of number of closes of the #2 to get the #2.5. However, I think I have an easy #2, so that could explain the high reps. Unfortunately I haven't got access to an RGC (live in the UK and don't have one myself). But my #2.5 is A LOT harder than my #2. the gap from #2 to #2.5 feels bigger than #2.5 to #3.