Noob Race To C.o.c. 2.5!

Electron

I know... that's why I said VERY POSSIBLE!

Does anyone plan on ultimately training for the #4?

But of course. I see no reason to stop short. Haha

I'm going to start working on the 3 in December, I can hold shut my RB adjustable set to a #3 equivalency but that's cheating it shut... Closing it will be an entirely different story. I'm still working on my endurance with the 2.5

Well as of yesterday my hands are pretty tired from a lot of tug work and I was about a penny's width from getting my 2.5. I am still hoping to have the 3 shut at least from a MMS set by March 2013.

I may be running a little behind though well see...

As far as the #4 goes I will go on record to say I am planning on making a run at it. I know its a beast the two I tried seemed crazy but then again so did the #2 at one time.

EMAN

Well as of yesterday my hands are pretty tired from a lot of tug work and I was about a penny's width from getting my 2.5. I am still hoping to have the 3 shut at least from a MMS set by March 2013.

I may be running a little behind though well see...

As far as the #4 goes I will go on record to say I am planning on making a run at it. I know its a beast the two I tried seemed crazy but then again so did the #2 at one time.

EMAN

You said tug work. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm not going to stop training grippers, just because I hit a certain level, but I can't say that I would ever be able to close a #4.

Not much. 2.5 to 3 is a much bigger gap.

Well, from 2.5 to 3 is a huge gap, indeed, but from 2 to 2.5 is also quite a gap in my view. I can get about 20 MMS reps with #2 and still quite cannot get one MMS with #2.5 (veery close though). Time will get me there.

How much harder is the 2 compared to the 2.5, I can close the 2 easily now.

It is all relative to your current strength level. If you can close the #2 easily now for 5 or 6 reps then the 2.5 may not seem like a big jump. I started in March and couldn't close the #2 and could barely move the #2.5. In April I could barely close the #2 and now I can rep the #2 for 5 or 6 reps and I am very close to shutting the 2.5.

If you are easily closing the #2 then 6 to 8 weeks seems possible.

It's all relative to your strength level. When I'm at the level to close a #2.5 with ease, the #3 will feel like a big gap.

Your 2.5 is an easy one too.

How much harder is the 2 compared to the 2.5, I can close the 2 easily now.

IMO the gap from #2 to #2.5 is as big or bigger than #2.5 to #3. But that was just my experience, it may be that as my training skill improved along with my set, I just progressed a little faster. I guess a lot will also depend on how tough your grippers are.

I must have an insanely tough 2.5 because I have been trying to get this damn thing for month and am no where closer today than I was months ago. Making nice gains on everything else but grippers for some reason is a huge weakness for me. I think i'm going to chill out with trynig to close it each week during my grip sessions and pick up a GHP 5 and get some singles, doubles, etc on that for a while before I attempt the 2.5 again. I don't think I can take another failed attempt mentally. It;s aggrevating.

I must have an insanely tough 2.5 because I have been trying to get this damn thing for month and am no where closer today than I was months ago. Making nice gains on everything else but grippers for some reason is a huge weakness for me. I think i'm going to chill out with trynig to close it each week during my grip sessions and pick up a GHP 5 and get some singles, doubles, etc on that for a while before I attempt the 2.5 again. I don't think I can take another failed attempt mentally. It;s aggrevating.

Same exact thing happened to me, man. Was within a couple mm's for months, it was infuriating. Definitely change things up, get some good time with the GHP 5 in. Do you have a Vulcan? Maybe work the set some more? Always good to change up your programming if you hit a plateau, if not take a full break outright for a little while.

Same thing happened to me. Everything else but grippers were going up. Then maybe a month ago i started training seriously with strapholds and all of a sudden last week I could close the #2.5 with no problem. Change is good, you just need to experiment a bit and keep things moving.

Same exact thing happened to me, man. Was within a couple mm's for months, it was infuriating. Definitely change things up, get some good time with the GHP 5 in. Do you have a Vulcan? Maybe work the set some more? Always good to change up your programming if you hit a plateau, if not take a full break outright for a little while.

I have an Adjustable RB that also has an extendor handle and am looking to order a GHP 5 end of the month. Thanks for the tip!

Same thing happened to me. Everything else but grippers were going up. Then maybe a month ago i started training seriously with strapholds and all of a sudden last week I could close the #2.5 with no problem. Change is good, you just need to experiment a bit and keep things moving.

Will try strap holds with the 2 as well. Glad I mentioned it on the forums to get some different ideas for how to change up my current gripper routine. Rest of my grip progress is going good so I'll stick with what I've been doing so far for those but grip has to change.

Think I and one or two others mentioned this earlier in the thread, but some 2.5's can be quite tough. My 2.5 is less than 10#'s RGC from my 3. Made the 2.5 training a biotch, but 2.5 to 3 seems to have been a lot less effort (almost there on the mms 3).

It's all relative to your strength level. When I'm at the level to close a #2.5 with ease, the #3 will feel like a big gap.

Your 2.5 is an easy one too.

True. That 2.5 never felt significantly harder than my #2. I could TNS that 2.5 all day, but only ever managed singles with my #3. And that was with a set deeper than CCS. I never have been consistent with it.

Do you think the knurling on that 2.5 is a good bit sharper than average?

I've noticed that with grippers as well. They move along almost in steps rather than waves, at least I.M.E.... I think that this may be because there are so many leverage changes as the fingers close, so there are many many sticking points with crush grip.

Edited by hellswindstaff

I've noticed that with grippers as well. They move along almost in steps rather than waves, at least I.M.E.... I think that this may be because there are so many leverage changes as the fingers close, so there are many many sticking points with crush grip.

That makes sense. I have great open hand strength, and I don't set grippers, I just pick them up and close them, and I have no problem at the start, but where I shut down is right at the last couple millimeters. So what I've realized is that is the range I have to train in, which is best done in isometric work, through static holds.

That makes sense. I have great open hand strength, and I don't set grippers, I just pick them up and close them, and I have no problem at the start, but where I shut down is right at the last couple millimeters. So what I've realized is that is the range I have to train in, which is best done in isometric work, through static holds.

The last couple of mm is where the tension is highest. To set a gripper may only take 60lbs pressure, but to touch the handles it may take 130lbs... those are arbitrary numbers but my point is the difference is huge.

I was actually referring to the joint angles of the fingers and as they change in degrees of flexion so do the leverages.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've recently developed a pain in my palm from doing negatives with the #3. When I try to close the #3 now the part where the handle digs into my palm hurts, it feels like a sharp nerve pain. Any idea what I can do to heal this? Just rest? It's been there for 2 weeks now.

Stop doing negatives.

Start doing things to push blood into the area.

Start massaging with liniment.

It may take weeks or months to heal... it may never heal.

Thanks for the responses guys. I've recently developed a pain in my palm from doing negatives with the #3. When I try to close the #3 now the part where the handle digs into my palm hurts, it feels like a sharp nerve pain. Any idea what I can do to heal this? Just rest? It's been there for 2 weeks now.

What hellwindstaff said... Also, you may need to stay off grippers for a few weeks, which gives you time to train other stuff that won't aggravate that. And stay off negatives, period.