Richaz Training Log

macaz

Filled the aluminum buoy with lead this morning. Its still hot to the touch. I put it on the scale and its 90#s and was impossible to lift in gloves. I had to put a rope through the top loops to get the leverage to lift this sucker onto the scale. Im still not sure what its function will be other than being very heavy and odd. Maybe a ball and chain for my kids? :wub:

gallery_19587_1292_9085.jpg

This is a 108mm 4K shot-put I got from the antique shop in Prescott. I drilled a hole in it to weld an old eyehook into it and was surprised that it was hollow after about 1/2inch of steel. So I filled it with lead and welded the eye hook on it. Ill weigh it tomorrow. The lead made it quite hefty.

gallery_19587_1292_71182.jpg

Cool toys Rich. IMO that shotput will test the fingertip strength along with palm squeeze ability. I'm interested to see if you get carryover to wide pinching from fingertip strength, and 2HP from palm squeezing.

Very cool Rich! I enjoyed messing around with the FBBC Bomb back at one of the BBBs. I think it was the 2006 contest. Didn't hurt my feelings that I was able to tie for 1st place on it, lol.

@ Daniel, I forgot to hide the incriminating evidence in the background.

Today I did day 7 of week three. I think my best day yet. Did 6 quadruples with my 70% grippers. Felt good and the closes were fast.

Last Monday I did my gym workout session with sets of 5 squats up to 285#. What is strange is I am feeling that workout today seven days later. When I woke up my gluts were hurting and they have been hurting all day.

I have named my 90# ball Ashley in honor of my wife. I have a chain that loops around to the two built in loops and I have three metal pipes on the chain that fit inside each other. One is 2”, one 2.5” and a 3” pipe for different thicknesses of grip. It is fun to lift it this way.

I’m happy where this buoy project has lead (get it lead HAHAHA). Took a while to figure what I could do with it. I attached a chain and four pipes measuring 3.5", 3", 2.5" and 2". They fit into each other and the idea is for people to start at 2 and work up in diameter until failure. The whole rig is about 100#. I don’t know if I can do the 3.5 " yet but my first half hearted attempt was a fail. I can get all the other sizes. When I can do the 3.5 I’ll add the 4” which I have to find at the scrap yard still. Then to make it harder maybe grease on the handles?

Anyhoo

gallery_19587_1292_30833.jpg

That looks awesome rich. Great idea.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone. Ill bring the big ball and chain down to Tucson, maybe it can be in the medley if Aaron wants it in.

EXCELLENT idea Rich!!! I like that a lot.

Have you ever tried really thick vbar? You could rig something up at your house with your skills. I rigged up a 2 and 3/8" PVC vbar attachment (not much to "rig" up, lol) and that was a real humbler. Thicker just gets really stupid really quick.

That would be a great implement in a grip medley too. More points for lifting on the increasing-diameter handle even when the weight stays the same - just rack up more points by switching handles and banging out full pulls.

EXCELLENT idea Rich!!! I like that a lot.

Have you ever tried really thick vbar? You could rig something up at your house with your skills. I rigged up a 2 and 3/8" PVC vbar attachment (not much to "rig" up, lol) and that was a real humbler. Thicker just gets really stupid really quick.

Thanks Ben, The Vbar Idea is great. I have to see what I can rig up. It will have to have a solid pin or something to keep the sleeves on the 2" bar.

I did my 5 triples today with my 50 % grippers. I took a few hits on my 148# #3 ( after warming up) but was way off. :blush

Kind of bummed because I used to be able to close it semi consistent. I have a feeling that the lower volume high intensity is not right for me right now. I will complete a full month of this style of training and see were I am.

I just have a feeling that at this point in my grip development I respond better to heavy volume and poundage. KTA will be my next program I think in a few weeks.

I did my 5 triples today with my 50 % grippers. I took a few hits on my 148# #3 ( after warming up) but was way off. :blush

Kind of bummed because I used to be able to close it semi consistent. I have a feeling that the lower volume high intensity is not right for me right now. I will complete a full month of this style of training and see were I am.

I just have a feeling that at this point in my grip development I respond better to heavy volume and poundage. KTA will be my next program I think in a few weeks.

Hopefully you get the results you want, Rich. I agree with you though about the volume and load, that's why I just started round 2 of RRBT to end right around the time Daniel is hosting a comp here in the bay area. I never tried Tim's training method so I'm not referring to that, but the twice weekly full-bore sessions from the farmstrength routine got me basically nowhere with my grippers (though pinch and levers went up steadily). Everybody responds differently to everything, I suppose!

Hope it works out for you!

Today My grip & wrist training spilled over into the real world. I installed an attic ladder (that fold out kind with a lid) by myself and man holding it up and in place was a chore. Hard to explain but I had to move the whole unit into its hole I made. This was done in the attic while holding on the rafter support beams with the beam pinched between my shoulder and head for stability and support, while holding the awkward assembly one handed and screwing the ladders support box into rafters.

My left wrist is starting to feel like some healing is taking place as the positions that would aggravate it aren’t aggravating it anymore. I have been taking Animal Flex for a few weeks. Seems to help.

I've done one of those solo attic ladder installs before and yep thats tough to do it right. Congrats.

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron, Im loving the attic ladder. I have been storing and moving arround a ton of stuff up there. THe ladder realy makes it easy.

Did the last hard working day of week 3 of STP. I also hit my #3 a few times in the mix. I think I got it closed two times but didn’t have extra gas in the tank. I did my squats during my grip. Went from 225 to 305 in 10 pound increments. Each set above 225 was 5 reps. My ass is getting stronger.

I was pricing out that heavy threaded pipe at the home depot. I was thinking of using 1.25 or 1.5 inch stuff and basically making a chin-up bar in my garage. I kind of got the idea from watching Tim’s MM videos. I have a bunch of left over 2x6s to run across the rafters in the attic for max support for my husky frame. It also would have been good to have when I got an elk three years ago. I got some looks from neighbors walking buy when I cut it up in the driveway.

I'd suggest 1.25" for the pull-up bar - you can always add a towel or Grip4force etc. on top of it to make it thicker when you want, but it's nice to have a regular-sized bar for when you want your lats to be the first thing to fail

Edited by Tim Struse

There won’t be anything exciting in my training this week. It is the rest week of STP. Next week I should have super exciting stuff to post.

Yesterday morning we woke up to a freezing house. Our heater went out in the night and I had to bust out the kerosene heater to keep the pipes from busting.

Its crazy cold this December. I never remember it this cold. Usually the snow melts quick in December but it has been too cold to melt this year.

I ordered the full Ronny Colman Strong Man gripper set. They have in-between strengths like 125, 175 and I think 225 wich I always thought was cool. I have been eyeing them for a year and decided to get them finally. Ill calibrate them and post the results.

Hows the quality of those? Like HGs and GNCs

Hows the quality of those? Like HGs and GNCs

I don’t know yet. They don’t look like the HGs. HG makes the same grippers for Bone Crushers and Gladiator Grips.

Ill see if they are worth the money... they are really cheap so if they don’t break instantly then they are probably worth it.