Richaz Training Log

macaz

I made up a training regiment for myself. It may be a bit over ambitious. I will adapt accordingly.

The gripper routine was one I found that Heath Sexton made (thanks). The rest I added in.

Today was my first official day (it kind of starts on Friday). I followed the routine outlined but I couldnt close the gripper (COC 2.5)I closed last week. I was not surprised because my forearms are blasted after D.O. Axle and screwing around with a new BLOB-50. To all that can lift that Damn Blob :mosher

Here is my planed routine:

Friday: 3-4 attempts at goal gripper, forced in and turned into a negative

3 strap-holds 7-10seconds

Saturday: D.O. Axle

Two hand pinch

Blob work

Twist YO Wrist

Wrist-roller

Sunday: Off

Monday: Two attempts at goal gripper, forced in and turned into negatives

Three singles with a weaker gripper turned into an over-crush

One strap-hold

Tuesday: Wrist curls (normal and reverse)

Hammer-work (front lift and back lift)

Bending

Twist YO Wrist

Wrist-roller

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Off

Looks good Rich-keep crushing 'em! I'm doing some choked holds, Twist Yo Wrist, sledgehammer work, blob holds and plate pinching to mix things up a bit. I took a few grippers last weekend to my 25th college reunion, and no one there could close the #1-pretty funny. Got my old buddy interested in grippers-he could close the #1, and was surprised no one at reunion could close the #1. So he just ordered Trainer, 1 and #2, and we are having contest to see who closes the #2 first.

Looks good Rich-keep crushing 'em! I'm doing some choked holds, Twist Yo Wrist, sledgehammer work, blob holds and plate pinching to mix things up a bit. I took a few grippers last weekend to my 25th college reunion, and no one there could close the #1-pretty funny. Got my old buddy interested in grippers-he could close the #1, and was surprised no one at reunion could close the #1. So he just ordered Trainer, 1 and #2, and we are having contest to see who closes the #2 first.

It's good to hear from you again!

I take it no one at your reunion works construction :happy

That is cool you have a contest going with someone to get to the #2. That gripper is for sure a milestone. I hope that Rapture thing is not really happening tomorrow so we both have some time to reach our goals :upsidedwn:inno

AXLE 165X10 215X10 235X10 255X2

EURO PINCH 75X3 95X1 115X1 135FAIL

BLOB36LB PASSED L TO R 26TIMES 46LBX1L+R 56 FAIL 49 1L 2R

TWIST YO WRIST 20LB X 4 (STANDING ON PLATFORM)

WRIST ROLL 20X2 30X2

60D NAIL CUT TO 5.5" D.O. KILLED IT

GOOD DAY OVERALL

Rest day. Drank a beerX3, mowed the lawnX1 and bent a 13" 3/8 HRS. It was my first crack at braced type bending. Got it past parallel.

3 attempts at the 2.5 RH (darn close) I think I'll get again on friday)

1X#2 LH 2X#2.5 attempts LH

3 overcrushes RH T5 (like a normal 2.5 @128lb) Last overcrush needed a little help

2 Overcrushes LH T4 & 1 W/ T3

Two strapholds with something (forgot what) :upsidedwn

I'm back after the Gripboard not allowing my I.P. address. The gripboard must have thought my I.P was that of a spammer. I bet my kids were screwing around on the computer when I had the Gripboard open. I don’t know how they could make me look like a spammer but they have done some amazing things to my computer in the past!!

Maybe they clicked on something 100 times and made it look like spamming. :whacked kids

Yesterday I did wrist curls hammer work and some bending. I lost what I wrote down. I know I could not dent a G8 bolt 1/4" by 6".

Friday is my main grip routine day. Got close with my 2.5 which was very frustrating because I felt like I could do it today. I could do it two weeks ago so I’m wondering if this routine is right for me now.

I have been following the reps and giving it great effort but I don’t feel sore of worn out after so I am contemplating doing much more gripper reps of different sorts. One thing I played with today was closing a hard gripper I have mastered (#2) and doing micro reps to strengthen my final crush. I think Ill file down the #2 soon.

In stead of a set # of reps I will do what I’m feeling up to for about an hour. Maybe 2 days a week. Ill see how it goes for a few months and for sure try KTA this year.

:chris:

AXLE 165X10 215X3 265X4

2HP 75X2 125X1 130X1 135XFAIL

RT 105X1 130X1 155 5 LEFT 2X RIGHT HAND WITH 3 FAILS AT BEGINING 165 2 LEFT FAIL x 2 RIGHT 175FAIL R+L

2" VBAR 125X1 150X1 160X 1LEFT FAIL RIGHT

BLOB 36X1 46X1 51X1 56 FAIL

GOOD WORKOUT TODAY

Another day of lost gripper strength for my right. But my left seems to be catching up a bit. I have had a lot of good ideas for a new gripper routine. Ill have to try them all out at some point. I might try Bills suggestion of doing 10 goal gripper reps 3-4 times a week and see what happens. I’m wondering if Ill respond well to the volume well like I did with RRBT. Also Tim Struse had a good sounding routine I will also try.

I think my main problem now is all the DO Axle and new pinch lifting I have added. It is new and my hands are adapting.

I also have been loving bending. I got in a shipment of various stock form online metals (thanks Bencrush!) It is just in time for tomorrow which is bending day.

gallery_19587_1236_25639.jpg

Rich,

I found the same exact paradox as you're currently experiencing. Once I achieve a goal gripper close, it becomes difficult to close it in the next few weeks. I have a theory about this... I think it's hard for the body to always operate at near maximum capacity, and when you're barely closing a big gripper, you're close to that limit. So, your body backs off. To me, attempting big goal gripper every workout is like squatting or deadlifting a max weight week after week. It is very taxing on the CNS.

Anyway, that is just my theory. I could be way off here... just somethign to think about.

That makes sense to me. Maybe trying to hit the goal gripper every tome is not the best workout.

I will try Tim’s idea on Friday. It involves 85% on the main day and another day in the week at 65% with explosive force.

Today I did some bending. I killed a 5/16 @6” HRS. :mosher It started like a blue nail but the crush down was much much harder!!

I did a blue nail and yellow nail to warm up. I also tried a ¼ 6” square stock CRS. That thing is solid as a rock. I could not kink it!

Started to do forearm curls but my left wrist was warning me not to!

Did some sledge work today.

Today I built a "secret weapon" Ill post a photo soon. I used scrap steel I had laying around. I had a 3/4 round bar that I used as a top handle but not enough for a bottom lever handle. I used a 3/4 square bottom handle just to see how it worked and it works well but I will buy a piece of 3/4 round to replace the square. The square feels funny and pinches the skin easy.

My hands feel weak now so i will take a week off and start Tim Struse's routine in a week. Ill lay the routine out soon. I may add a few extreme negs to the routine because I want to use the neg machine.

I watched Joe Kinney's video Get A grip. It was good but I have a feeling if I tried the regimen he did I would cripple myself.

Here is that secret weapon thing. Man I have to take a week off for sure. My forearms feel burnt. I have this strange throb once in while in my right upper forearm. Even on my days off I still can be found messing around with something. Must stop!

gallery_19587_1236_40478.jpg

Very nice craftsmanship there on that implement of pain and strain! :mosher

Nice job on the piece-o-pain! It looks like you angeled the top handle down a bit too which helps a bunch.

Im enjoying my days off from grip and pinch. I can feel it is having a good effect. I think I will be better at grippers next week. I have been doing my normal gym routine which I never get into here. I also did a hand stand pushup yesterday and today!!! I was surprised. :blink

I could do them like crazy in college but I was like 180lb then. Now I am 235 and its not all muscle.

I did a bit of bending today because I was teaching a buddy at work how to bend. He may attend a WSH this august so I hope he can get up to a 60d.

I was able to kill a ¼ CRS Hex @6".

The 1/4 square killed me. Not a dent on that bastard. :cry

I did a bit of bending today because I was teaching a buddy at work how to bend. He may attend a WSH this august so I hope he can get up to a 60d.

The 1/4 square is a big jump. You might try some 6"x1/4 G5 bolts to bridge the gap. Also you can start taping on some steel to your training bar. ie 6x1/4 hex + 6x1/8 round or 3/16 square, etc

Its a good method for progression that I used to get into the tougher 3/8 stuff.

- Aaron

The 1/4 square is a big jump. You might try some 6"x1/4 G5 bolts to bridge the gap. Also you can start taping on some steel to your training bar. ie 6x1/4 hex + 6x1/8 round or 3/16 square, etc

Its a good method for progression that I used to get into the tougher 3/8 stuff.

- Aaron

Thanks for the advice. I will try G5.

I never thought of taping steel together. Ill have to get some skinny stock and try it out.

I hope to see you and Tim around at the Tucson WSH. I know you guys wont be competing but I hope you can make it.

Take the advice given by these accomplished benders and you will progress faster than you thought possible. Keep up the great work and may you reach your next goal in stellar time.

Started a new grip routine today.

65% of 1RM gripper = T3 ; 8 sets of doubles concentrating on speed and a hard close. Felt great.

Got some hex dumbbells at play it again sports in Mesa this weekend. 90lb and 80lb. Cut off the heads today for some blobbing tomorrow.

Today I got in a shipment of grippers. I was trying to get some in the 130+ range. I calibrated them as follows RB260N=126.5lb,

RB240N=136.3(yeah :mosher )

new COC2.5=127 was hopeing for 132ish (I was tired of my brick 2.5 that I can't close lately. All springs were oiled prior to rating.

Tomorrow I will do day 2 of my new routine. 6X1 with my new COC 2.5 @127lb. My hands feel stronger so I think I’m liking this new program (although I have not been doing it long enough to really know how Ill respond)

I like to do a few very light reps to keep my hands active most days. It doesn’t wear me down at all in fact I’m sure it is helping me in some way.

I picked up a Atomgripz 3band and crushed it with plenty to spare. This made me feel good because the last few weeks that thing was taking me three attempts to warm up to. Almost crushed it lefty too which is new.

Thanks guys for all the support here.