NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hello.

36, 6'2", 230.

Started training grip about 4-5 months ago, I saw a video of Adam Glass bend a wrench and I had to give grip training a try.

One thing led to another and I ended up at the Worlds Strongest Hands event yesterday in Wooster OH at Andrew's place. I have not competed in anything since grade school football. It was really fun, met some great people and learned a ton.

The guys there told me about this board and here I am.

Thanks for doing what you do, this is a great sport.

Jim

Good to see you here Jim!

Hello all,

My name is Dario G, I'm a 31 year old recent "grip addict". I'm 6'1, 258 currently, trying to turn existing fat into muscle. I recently ordered the No. 1,2,3 of the captains of crush hand grippers, really looking forward to strengthening my grip as well as hopefully gain some knowledge from these forums.

My goal is to be able to not only close the 3 but hopefully rep up to the 4 at some point.

Thank you for having me aboard.

Looking at the post number, kind of ironic and unrelated, 1979 is my birthdate, guess it's a sign I'm meant to be here :)

Edited by dariog

• 1 month later...

Im new here.

I have 2 Grippers, HeavyGrip 150 and HeavyGrip 200

Im on HG 150 and i can close it easily with both hands, in the beginning i could not even press it to the half way with my left hand whereas i was close at closing it with the right hand.

So I really worked on my left hands grip as it was really extremely weak, i never knew that before. So in a way, the grippers helped me work on my weakness which i never knew existed by that much of a difference compared to the right hand. I felt quite humbled due to not being even able to close it half way with my left hand.

But after 3 months of training both my hands, especially paying attention to the left hand. Now i am able to close the HG 150 gripper with both hands. Now i am working towards increasing the reps.

Edited by Ibn Saeed

Hello, my name is Mike. I'm 27 years old, 6'2, 220lbs. From Long Island, New York. Basically one day I realized I have the grip strength of a 9 year old girl so I started doing research. I came across the Captains of Crush grippers and now I'm totally hooked. I bought the Trainer and #1 and couldn't even close the #1. I was close but no dice. This was July of 2011. Since then I've become a bit addicted. After the CoC I bought a set of 5 HG grippers. 150-350. After that I bought a #2 and #3. I can now close the #2 for 4 or 5 reps with each hand. I've also spent some time at Home Depot. I made a loading pin, loadable levering device, rolling thunder, 2.5" handle and wrist roller. I also bought some 3/16 and 1/4 steel bars. I've bent all the different length of 3/16 but the 1/4 is still tough for me. I gotta work on my wrist strength and technique no doubt. At the time of writing I also have several orders coming. Vulcan with thumbscrews from Jedd, beginners benders bag and 3x gripper coming from FBBC, amongst other things.

Basically this shit is addictive! And I'm totally dedicated to certifying on the #3. That's my ultimate goal for the time being. I look forward to participating in the forum discussions. Thanks guys.

Hello gentlemen (and some iron ladies :grin: ), I'm Nathan. I'm 6'4", 90kg, and I live in Pretoria, South Africa. I've just recently started grip training; FYI I'm about 5mm off closing the No.2 CoC, and I'm also learning card tearing and a bunch of other random stuff.

Thank you to the moderators and the fearsomely strong dudes for all the excellent information available here!

hi,

my name is kevin and i am interested in developing good all around hand strength. i am 45 years old, 5ft 7 in and between 75-80 kg. i am in very good overall physical condition from my training practices. i have closed a number 2 coc gripper left handed and right handed but that was a at least 5 years ago. i have no set goals such as close the number 3 coc but i do want to increase my overall hand strength including pinch, supporting, and crush. i do need more wrist strength also. i read more on a forum than i post and im happy that i can access all the information here.

best,

kev

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy! My name is Martin and I am a bit of a kettlebell addict. In addition to the usual kb swings, snatches, clean and presses, and Turkish getups, I deadlift and work on pull ups for max reps and max weight. I'm 6' 3"; my weight hovers around 250 lbs.

I bought a CoC #1, and was able to close it out of the wrapper, but just barely. I've been doing Grease The Groove with the CoC #1, and am now able to knock off 5-8 sets of 5, and have started doing sets of 10 recently. I also bought Brookfields Grip Master's Manual, and have been dabbling with some of his simple backyard grip exercises. I think pinch gripping two 35# plates will be one of my next goals. I also have CoC #2, 2.5 & 3.0 on the way.

I really like the breadth and depth of this forum. That's why I joined.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey -

My name is Ryan and I have just recently started to get into grip training. I'm 33 YO and have been weight training for the past 12 years. I became more interested in the grip training when I discovered how my grip was limiting my DL, BB Rows, and other "pulling" exercises. I purchased a John Brookfield book and decided to incorporate the newbie training program as it was shown on this forum.

I started my grip workouts about 5 or 6 weeks ago, with the following lifts

2 hand pinch - 2 (two) - 25 lb plates - 3 sets of 15 second holds

finger curl - just the bar - 3 sets of 20, holding until failure on the last rep of the last set

wrist curl - just the bar - 3 sets of 20

reverse wrist curl - just the bar - 3 sets of 15 (due to my initial weakness in this area)

As of Sunday, 11/6/11, my last workout consisted of the following:

2 hand pinch - 75 lbs - 3 sets, 15 s each

finger curl - 70 lbs - 3 sets of 20, last rep on last set held to failure

wrist curl - 70 lbs - 3 sets of 20

reverse wrist curl - 50 lbs, 3 sets of 20

My goal is to increase my overall grip strength in all facets, with no specificity. I'd like to know how/when I should incorporate other exercises and routines after I milk these four exercises for another couple of months. I believe I'll get to some pretty decent weights (for me, at least) as compared to my baseline starting point. I am definitely hooked on improving my grip strength any way possible.

I also have been using a modified Starting Strength Workout for my weight training. My PR's and current lifts are as follows:

Back Squat - PR - 320 for 3 sets of 5; Currently at 215 X 3 X 5 as I'm recovering from a groin injury

Deadlift - PR - 380 for 1 rep; Currently at 305 for 1 set of 5

Bench Press - PR - 265 for 2 reps; Currently at 185 X 3 X 5 - tweaked my right rotator cuff area

Press - PR - 180 X 3 X 5; Currently working at 135 X 3 X 5

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on the following questions:

(1) - Is time or weight/exercise for the newbie beginner program the most important factor prior to moving forward on training?

(2) - I have been looking for my next routine once I tire of the newbie program. Is there something recommended?

I appreciate the vast knowledge of many on this forum and look forward to taking my forearm/grip strength to new heights.

hello

my names carl, i have been into grip since around feb of this year, im from merthyr tydfil south wales .uk i was browsing the internet, come across diesel crew, and jedd johnson i have been doing weight training seriously for well over 12 years and at first i was searching the net for training routiens, tips, advice on anything new as my training dident seem to be going anywhere :( and i liked what diesel crew was all about, i then was coming across more and more things on grip, videos on feats of strength, gripper closes, pinch and i was getting very intrested, i contacted steve gardner ( mobster ) via is website and arranged a vist to is gym for some advice, got more hooked, i later arranged a visit t david hornes grip factory for a training lesson and also wanted to buy some of davids equipment, which all went realy well and basically iv never looked back, i have since entered the wsh series and done how i thought very well, as im quite a newbie , the grip bug as defently got me buy the short and curlys haha im hooked :) so far iv had the pleasure of meeting some incredibly strong guys at david hornes grip factory, and also incredibly nice guys to go with that, who now i look at as good friends, and imlooking forward to meeting, talking, hopefully getting more advice off many more of the guys on here ( gripboard ) iv been browesing on here since yesterday and there is so much good info on here and good guys also ( and seriously strong :) ) so for me hopefully its onwards and upwards with my grip training, thank you everyone .

• Like 1

My name is Sobri Daniel. 5'10 200.... Could only close a #2...but from the looks of things....all the knowledgeable people on this forum could help me get to a #2.5 within a year. Blob training seem cool... I'd like to get into that if I could find one for less than 200 on eBay! Lol

Well guys I am technically not new here, but here with a new handle that is very well known at Rosstraining's forum: Speedy.

Been an avid user of grippers ever since I was in single digits and found them at my mother's place of work and been using them ever since. One day came across COC's in an article on Maxim, and haven't used the plastic sports store brands since. I been threw a few of COC's for one reason or another, and avidly carry a #2 with electrical tape on one handle with me at all times. Electrical tape is to keep my fingers from being torn up and have smooth as I can hands for my GF's body. :-P

I evolved my grip training to other forms: towel/manilla-rope pull-ups, dead hangs on items I can find, carrying around PC's with one handed grip (dead-hold) and etc. I used to take my grip training seriously but that got boring really quick. I found for me it's better and a lot more fun to integrate it into existing day to day tasks, and existing exercises like as I said before, with my pull-up training I throw in a towel and do it that way and that is only one example. I choose not to pull out a manilla rope at the public gym: don't want to scare people. :-D

The fire to start my goal again to get certified on the #3 with Ironmind and maybe compete here on these certifications has come again. I am currently on the path to quit smoking, get my rear back into shape, and get back the strength in my hands I once had. Quite frankly my grip strength hasn't gone down that much; I am just not used to the pains you feel in the beginning using a COC gripper but that will come with time. My boss gives me plenty of reasons to squeeze it through-out the day.

Hopefully by next year I will be carrying around the 2.5 and eventually the #3.

Any questions?

Hey guys, newto the forum (obviously). Been training grip since June or so. I was a competitive baseball player and swimmer until I was 20 yrs old, then stopped everything abruptly. I'm 31 now and have been training like crazy since March 2011. I'm 6'4" 265 lbs. found out I was decent at grip by accident. Was using the Euro Pinch device at a gym I was training at and was doing 145 on it (two hands) fairly easily. Then I started grippers not more than a few months ago. Just competed in a grip decathlon last weekend and did alright.

Closed a COC 2.5,

Lifted 290 on the 2" axle DL

200 on 2" VBar

Two hand euro pinched 174 lbs

One handed partial dead lift of 375 using the Strongergrip plateau buster

Two hand pinched two 45's for 61 seconds.

That's all I got for now. I'm from Minnesota. Want to know anything else, just ask. Glad to be here and looking to learn a ton from everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Name is Gary, 27 from Hertfordshire - been into grip training and bodybuilding for about 13 years. I have recently destroyed a crippling illness (after ignoring doctors and doing things my own way) and starting my mass journey from scratch again. During the illness I kept my strength with isometrics, leverage training and calisthenics... although I lost 3 stone of muscle mass.

I am probably the smallest and lightest guy on this board right now, standing at an impressive 5ft4 and weighing about 110lbs (like I say, illness knocked me into a frail being lol). I have extreme motivation and I don't use a gym, I train with logs, sandbags, thick barbells, kegs and homemade leverage bars etc. I done my first deadlift the other day with a 2" thick bar (I have tiny hands) and managed a 140kg lift (almost 3 times bodyweight). I am pretty pleased with this but need help getting my grip strong enough to get a 200kg deadlift with it.

Be nice hearing from you all. Oh, and by the way - feel free to call me short and puny, it just motivates me more ;) haha.

Hey everyone, I am Sean. I am a college student out in Boston, and in my spare time I am doing grip training. I started about 2 months ago with grippers and have been hooked since.

I come from a rock climbing background and climbed and competed since age of 6, then before college took some years off due to injuries. I am now doing grip training which has helped me set goals and push myself to achieve them.

I have learned a lot here and it's a cool forum.

Give me a shout if you're in the Boston area and looking to get a beer and chat about grip training. :rock

Hey guys, newto the forum (obviously). Been training grip since June or so. I was a competitive baseball player and swimmer until I was 20 yrs old, then stopped everything abruptly. I'm 31 now and have been training like crazy since March 2011. I'm 6'4" 265 lbs. found out I was decent at grip by accident. Was using the Euro Pinch device at a gym I was training at and was doing 145 on it (two hands) fairly easily. Then I started grippers not more than a few months ago. Just competed in a grip decathlon last weekend and did alright.

Closed a COC 2.5,

Lifted 290 on the 2" axle DL

200 on 2" VBar

Two hand euro pinched 174 lbs

One handed partial dead lift of 375 using the Strongergrip plateau buster

Two hand pinched two 45's for 61 seconds.

That's all I got for now. I'm from Minnesota. Want to know anything else, just ask. Glad to be here and looking to learn a ton from everyone.

Ryan, great to see you here on the forum man! I was very impressed with you at the contest. Both with your strength and with how easy you were to talk to. And you kicked my butt on 2HP and the 2HP hold for time! Excellent work. And 200lbs is a great first time pull on the 2" vbar too man. You will go far so I hope you stick with it! Closing a #2.5 is also a pretty big deal for the small amount of specific grip work you've done. It took me years to get to that level.

My name is Jordan, and I am a grip guy. Currently, I can close the #3 with a CCS and am working to close the #3.5 with a CCS on or before Christmas. My goals are lofty, but attainable. I want to be the first person to certify the CoC #4 under the new Ironmind rules. My set leaves much to be desired and there are still many things that I am learning despite how far I have come. Let me say that I don't consider myself an expert and hope I never do because that would close the door to my learning and getting stronger. This Saturday is a big day for me: I hope to close the #3.5 in a 40mm set. This will be a major milestone to getting ready to certifying in January. I am turning 30 next year, I want to certify on the CoC #4 before my 30th birthday. I like all kinds of grip but I am focusing on grippers because that is where I want to improve right now. I welcome any and all advice and constructive critism.

-Jordan

My name is Jordan, and I am a grip guy. Currently, I can close the #3 with a CCS and am working to close the #3.5 with a CCS on or before Christmas. My goals are lofty, but attainable. I want to be the first person to certify the CoC #4 under the new Ironmind rules. My set leaves much to be desired and there are still many things that I am learning despite how far I have come. Let me say that I don't consider myself an expert and hope I never do because that would close the door to my learning and getting stronger. This Saturday is a big day for me: I hope to close the #3.5 in a 40mm set. This will be a major milestone to getting ready to certifying in January. I am turning 30 next year, I want to certify on the CoC #4 before my 30th birthday. I like all kinds of grip but I am focusing on grippers because that is where I want to improve right now. I welcome any and all advice and constructive critism.

-Jordan

Jordan, glad to see you here man! You're going about it smart and already knocking down some big milestones. Best of strength man! Let us know how you do this Saturday. Are you training with Paul and Eric Saturday?

My name is Dan. I'm not a new member, been on the forum since 2006. It's been a while since i've been on i figured i would re-introduce myself. My current goals are to certify on the CoC 3, and compete!!! I've got lots of homemade apparatus at my home and would love to compete when it comes close to NY. Before when I was really into grip training I stopped due to job and other training goals. Biggest mistake of my life. I work as a CO and last month while restraining an individual he got loose from my grip. I thought how weak my hands were and immediately went home dusted off the grippers and other equipment and been going since. I truly do enjoy it, plus having a strong grip is bad ass! After my layoff i can close the coc1 with both hands, coc2 about 1/4 inch from close with right, rolling thunder 130lbs. with right. I also just ordered the kta program.

hello everyone, im taku, currently 20 years old.

i joined this program as i am due to receive the CoC Trainer, #1 and #2 in a couple weeks (im an aussie, int. shipping takes awhile). ive been interested in these grippers for a few years, as i only own grippers sold at sports shops which are far too easy to do that much (50+ reps if im keen).

The first time i tried these grippers is at a rock climbing place, which had a #1 gripper hanging on a practice wall. i do not remember if i managed to make the ends touch, but i know it was atleast close. from this experience, ive always wanted to buy one of my own, and decided to make the #2 my aim.

Another reason for getting these grippers is for my wrist health, and hands, as they tend to be weakpoints in my body and the most prone to injury in and out of the gym. i actually might have fractured the right wrist 4 years ago in a arm wrestle which crippled the wrist and prompted me to discontinue any arm wrestles, its alot better now after weight training but i still dont trust it for armwrestling.

i hope to learn alot on this forum about grippers and their benefits, and possibly try out the kta program if i successfully crush the #2:)

Hello My names is Rick. I haven't started specilizing on my grip yet I got 27 weeks of conditioning coming up. N.E. I'm here to pick up from those who have experience. I just hit a PR to day 9 dead hang pullups. So

I will continue miss. and develop my grip.

Hi everyone. I'm Luther. I'm now in fairly bad shape from years of sitting behind a computer and not having had time to work out while my kids were younger. I was a trithlete a couple of decades or so ago (I'm turning 50 next year). At one point I was training at least two to three hours a day on the road or in the pool and was in pretty decent shape, but I've never done much strength training.

I started working out again a couple months ago and have worked back up to feeling comfortable doing 60 push ups, 20 pull ups and 60 reps of an exercise wheel, but I found that my grip strength was stunningly weak. I bought a CoC Trainer and actually found that it was more than I could easily handle. (Please try to not laugh too hard at that!) With any luck, that will be ancient history in a couple of months, for I see grip training as something that I should be able to find time do these days, even from behind a computer or sitting around in an airport.

Hi everyone. I'm Luther. I'm now in fairly bad shape from years of sitting behind a computer and not having had time to work out while my kids were younger. I was a trithlete a couple of decades or so ago (I'm turning 50 next year). At one point I was training at least two to three hours a day on the road or in the pool and was in pretty decent shape, but I've never done much strength training.

I started working out again a couple months ago and have worked back up to feeling comfortable doing 60 push ups, 20 pull ups and 60 reps of an exercise wheel, but I found that my grip strength was stunningly weak. I bought a CoC Trainer and actually found that it was more than I could easily handle. (Please try to not laugh too hard at that!) With any luck, that will be ancient history in a couple of months, for I see grip training as something that I should be able to find time do these days, even from behind a computer or sitting around in an airport.

Sounds like you are in good shape still. I know I cant match you pushup and pull up #s and Im in OK shape. Good luck with the grippers!

carry a #2 with electrical tape on one handle with me at all times. Electrical tape is to keep my fingers from being torn up and have smooth as I can hands for my GF's body. :-P

get rid of that tape, girls love concrete-like hard hands ;)