NEW MEMBERS Introduce Yourself Here

Sybersnott

Hi, my name is Sam, 21 years old. 5'10 and 185lbs. I'm mainly a lifter and runner, but found this site to help with grip for pull-ups and dead-lifts. I also purchased the #1 gripper, which I can now close a few times with each hand.

Some of my current stats:

Bench- 320

Deadlift- 450

Pullups- 16 from dead hang

1 mile run- 5:20

Goals:

Deadlift- 500

Pullups- 25

One arm pullup with either arm

Basically, I just plan to browse these forums to find new training ideas to supplement what I already do.

Have a good day!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my names Simon, i'm from the UK. I'm 5'6" 70kg ish. I have been training on-off for a few years but have gone at it propperly for about a year now (twice week, fullbody Squat/Deadlift centric), i've always been into grip, I only use fat bars, i have a length of 2" scaffold as my general barbell and a set of 2.5" dumbells for fun, I also own a David Horne vulcan gripper, which I can close at lv4 (spring on both no.2 notchs) for 5 reps on a good day, getting verry close to lv5. I've also got a tripple band gunmetal atomgrips on order, which I can't wait for! :D.

So thats me, i'll try to contribute where i can.

Strength to you all :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thorsten, 38 years old, 6'11", 175lbs from Germany.

I began recreational climbing in fall 2005 (mainly indoor) and remembered my old warehouse gripper from 15 years ago, asking myself if there wasn't any more challenging out there. Well, guess what, there was. :yikes

Bought my first CoC#1 somewhere around 2007 and the #2 a few months later, had multiple overtrainings and tendonitis :whacked ensuing due to double stress from climbing and gripping neglecting extensors and sufficient recuperation.

I am now a gripper addict with a good dozen of them, ranging from #1 (easiest except 2 plastic grippers) all thru #4 (except #1.5), the regular spread RBs from RB210 to RB330 and one RB Adjustable.

Aside from that I have 2 d.i.y.-thickbar dumbbells (2" and 3.2") a collection of 10 kettlebells (53#-88#), a 2" pull-up bar, a wall-mounted campus board (climbers training board for fingertip pull-ups) a 6lbs hammer with a nice long handle for levering, 2 pairs of heavy cast iron dexterity balls (c. 3lbs and 5lbs respectively, single ball!), some hardware store bending stock (German equivalent of 60D nails), a 140+lbs d.i.y.-army duffle sandbag and my beloved TTK (brandnew! awesome!!) to name a good share of it.

I enjoy training very much, especially grippers. My aim is to get a strong overall grip without getting injured. I can nowadays TNS a #2 RH and am 1/16 short of doing it LH (soon to follow!). I close a RB210 from ~1/6" or 40mm choker and a #2.5 from a ~3/5" or 15mm choker. My training consists of mostly high # workouts because I cannot put these d##### things down. Yesterday I did 50+ reps TNS #2 RH and 50+ reps MMS #2 LH, not continuously but sort of 'GTG-style' whenever I felt good to go for the next one. My next aim is to LH TNS my #2 and work up to my #2.5, hopefully till the end of the year. I ultimately plan to get certified (RB210,CoC,MM0) and like the idea of the Mash Monster ladder very much.

So far you guys at the gripboard have already helped me tremendously (been lurking a while) as absolutely every question or problem I had (periodization, recuperation, injuries, equipment, d.i.y.-grip tools, extensors, TTK, history of grip feats, you name it), had been discussed and solved, sometimes years ago. This is a wealth of training knowledge and some of you guys really care. Thank you! :rock

BTW: I think Gabriel Sum has not yet peaked (don't know him in person though...but love his vids).

Have a nice day, y'all!

Hey, My name is chez. I just signed up for the site recently. I'm turning 28 soon, a little over 6'1" and 250 lbs. I have been weight training since college and got into grip training a couple of years ago. I have closed the #3 with a parallel set but then stayed away from grip training for a while. I have a video of it on youtube. I just got super busy and but it to the side. I'm getting back into it and can consistently close the 2.5 now. I hope to get back up to where I was soon and certify on the #3 this year. I have done a little bending also.

Hey guys. My name is Yori.

I've been grip training for 2 months, and my goal is to be certified as a CoC #4 and to have the strongest grip:bodyweight ratio.

Current weight and height are 5'9, 130#s. I can do over 30 reps of pull ups, about 10 with a plate, and am nearly able to do them one armed.

I started with getting a HG150&200, and couldn't close the latter at first. I can now close it 10 times in each hand.

I'm trained in boxing but would like to learn another martial art. I started gripping because of arm wrestling, which would be fun to do competitively.

I work out with reps on the 200, 150, and another heavy duty gripper I found in my garage (not sure of poundage). I also do forearm twists between sets for burn.

I'm planning on getting a CoC grip soon, but from where I am (HG200 10 reps) which CoC should I get? Any tips on working my grip will also be helpful.

Hey guys. My name is Yori.

I've been grip training for 2 months, and my goal is to be certified as a CoC #4 and to have the strongest grip:bodyweight ratio.

Current weight and height are 5'9, 130#s. I can do over 30 reps of pull ups, about 10 with a plate, and am nearly able to do them one armed.

I started with getting a HG150&200, and couldn't close the latter at first. I can now close it 10 times in each hand.

I'm trained in boxing but would like to learn another martial art. I started gripping because of arm wrestling, which would be fun to do competitively.

I work out with reps on the 200, 150, and another heavy duty gripper I found in my garage (not sure of poundage). I also do forearm twists between sets for burn.

I'm planning on getting a CoC grip soon, but from where I am (HG200 10 reps) which CoC should I get? Any tips on working my grip will also be helpful.

Hey man, welcome to the gripboard. You could probably close a CoC#2 based on how many times you can do the HG200, definitely a CoC #1.5. You will be able to find many gripper routines by searching around. Try to do some plate pinching as well to make your thumbs strong.

Hey man, welcome to the gripboard. You could probably close a CoC#2 based on how many times you can do the HG200, definitely a CoC #1.5. You will be able to find many gripper routines by searching around. Try to do some plate pinching as well to make your thumbs strong.

Thanks for the reply! I already feel welcomed.

I'm the kind of guy who always needs a goal to work towards, so I want a gripper just out of my immediate reach. Would it be a good idea to get a CoC 2.5, or a #3?

I'll have to do some research about plate pinching. I do work my thumb by pinching the weaker gripper, but plates seem like a better way as they're more measurable.

Hi, my name is Henrik and I live in the north of Sweden.

My goal is to close the no. 3.

I've been doing some sporadical weight lifting and armwrestling for a few years, and after being introduced to the CoC's I thought grip training might be my area as I wasn't that strong at bench/deadlift/squat etc. I closed the no. 1 first time I tried. A few months later on 24th of December 2010 I had my first workout with the no. 2 (negatives, after watching Joe Kinney's "Get a Grip"), and I had 3 of these workouts before finally closing it on the 1st of January 2011. After that it took 2 or 3 months before closing the no. 2,5. So, now I'm working hard on the no. 3 and my goal is to close it this year. During my time of training I've found it hard to stay disciplined and focused on my goal during a few periods, summer especially, so for the first time for many years I'm looking forward to a cold dark swedish winter of routines, discipline and hard training.

Thanks for the reply! I already feel welcomed.

I'm the kind of guy who always needs a goal to work towards, so I want a gripper just out of my immediate reach. Would it be a good idea to get a CoC 2.5, or a #3?

I'll have to do some research about plate pinching. I do work my thumb by pinching the weaker gripper, but plates seem like a better way as they're more measurable.

A 2.5 is considerably harder than a #2. I would go with that and the #2, but if you can afford it order as many as you can to save on shipping costs. a #2, 2.5, and 3 will keep you challenged for quite some time.

Try some plate pinching out with 2-25 lb plates. Get 2 steel plates of the same size and pinch them up together with the smooth sides on the outsides. To keep the plates from slipping so much you can chalk the outer ring of the plates or where ever the plates come in contact with each other. If 2-25s are too easy try 4-10 lb plates then 2-35 ones. Experiment with different widths to get a complete strength.

Guest amanita

Hey guys,

I'm a 28 year old male 5'8, 135lbs. My addiction to grip training started a few years ago with my addiction to rock climbing (mostly indoors here in Iowa), which really got me interested in health and exercise in general (I also love running, biking, and slacklining). I love the inherent challenges in rock climbing of trying to get as strong as possible while remaining as small, agile, and flexible as possible (relative strength?) since extra body weight and bulk are the enemy. For that reason other than small weights and grippers, I mostly use my own body as the weight.

I currently have the trainer and #1, and a few other tools and exercises (I've been looking to Brookfield for ideas). I'm planning on starting the RRBT program as soon as I get the #1.5 and/or #2, followed by the KTA program. I still need to get a bit more comfortable with the #1 especially in my left hand before I can consistently crank out 5 reps in a set.

I'd especially like to talk to other rock climbers and how they've managed to remain faithful to climbing and training for climbing (hang board, campusing) while also remaining serious about the RRBT/KTA programs. Thanks guys!

Hey guys, my name is Graeme, I have an intrest in increasing my grip to help improve my deadlifts but to also just have a stronger than average grip. I have just purchased the number 1s and 2s in CoC hand grippers and am waiting for them to arrive in the post. A friend put me onto this forum, I can't wait to get started.

Hello.

36, 6'2", 230.

Started training grip about 4-5 months ago, I saw a video of Adam Glass bend a wrench and I had to give grip training a try.

One thing led to another and I ended up at the Worlds Strongest Hands event yesterday in Wooster OH at Andrew's place. I have not competed in anything since grade school football. It was really fun, met some great people and learned a ton.

The guys there told me about this board and here I am.

Thanks for doing what you do, this is a great sport.

Jim

Hello,

30, 1.75m, 80kg.

Found this board so I decided to join it to learn new things from other grippers. Looks like it's the best board about grip and I'm glad there are others interested in grip strength.

Practiced with kettlebells once in a while, started training grip about 2-3 weeks ago.

I can crush a HG200 (almost crushed it even now when I'm overtrained) and have finished building a Joe Kinney secret weapon just yesterday to do severe negatives.

I also have a JBG gripper (John Brookfield gripper with extensions, rated 200-400lbs) and I feel the pressing need to close it without extensions.

Problem is that it seems crazy strong compared to HG grippers. I can barely hold it closed with the extensions on - when it's supposed to be 200lbs, and it is tougher than the HG250 as well, maybe even than a HG300.

Is there any way to test the grippers to find their correct rating? Either the JBG is stronger or the HG's are extremely weak.

Edited by Apekiller

Hello,

30, 1.75m, 80kg.

Found this board so I decided to join it to learn new things from other grippers. Looks like it's the best board about grip and I'm glad there are others interested in grip strength.

Practiced with kettlebells once in a while, started training grip about 2-3 weeks ago.

I can crush a HG200 (almost crushed it even now when I'm overtrained) and have finished building a Joe Kinney secret weapon just yesterday to do severe negatives.

I also have a JBG gripper (John Brookfield gripper with extensions, rated 200-400lbs) and I feel the pressing need to close it without extensions.

Problem is that it seems crazy strong compared to HG grippers. I can barely hold it closed with the extensions on - when it's supposed to be 200lbs, and it is tougher than the HG250 as well, maybe even than a HG300.

Is there any way to test the grippers to find their correct rating? Either the JBG is stronger or the HG's are extremely weak.

Welcome, Yes the HG ratings are not near acurate. My link

Hey

17 (18 soon) year old guy from sweden here! Love training especially grip training.

stats:

186cm

87 kg

I have been training squats and deadlifs since december last year.

Deadlif: 160 kilo 150x3 140x6

squats 120kg

bench 90-100 kg

i have colsed CoC 2#

my goal is to close 3# before i turn 20 ( want to close it as a teenage)

Hey guys. I'm not actually new here, but I haven't posted in years. I was into gripping and bending a few years ago, but life got in the way for a while. I've decided to get back into it and see where it takes me. I've definitely lost a lot of strength, but that was to be expected. When I stopped, I had just succeeded in closing the #2, and I was able to bend a few 6x1/4" Grade 5 bolts as well as 6x5/16" Grade 2 bolts. Now I can close the #1.5 (occasionally), and I can't even make a Grade 5 wobble.

It does feel good to be back. I see there are a bunch of familiar names, as well as a lot of new names. I look forward to setting and reaching some new goals. :)

Hey guys, been reading the forums for a good few weeks now and feel i've acquired enough knowledge not to make a complete fool of myself on my maiden post! I first looked into grippers when i was trying to learn to do a muscle up, but was having to break from the gym to revise for my first year university exams and stumbled across CoC grippers. I decided to go for the #1 as i reckoned i had a decent grip and sure enough i was able to close it for 3 or 4 reps straight out of the packet with a partial set. A few weeks later, i had hit 10 reps with the #1 with a range just wider than parallel and so i bought the #2. Managed to partial set close the #2 out of the packet too, at which point i was feeling like a bit of a beast. A month or so later i have hit 5 reps with the #2 (again with a range just beyond parallel) and couldn't wait to get my hands on the #3. It arrived a few days ago, the spread is a good 1/8" more than the #1 or #2 and needless to say i haven't managed to get it shut just yet, best effort is getting the handles parallel from a partial set. My long term goal is to be able to TNS the #3, but in the short term i would like to MMS close it this year if possible.

Height: 6"0

Weight: 88kg

Hand size: 7 3/4"

Hey guys, been reading the forums for a good few weeks now and feel i've acquired enough knowledge not to make a complete fool of myself on my maiden post! I first looked into grippers when i was trying to learn to do a muscle up, but was having to break from the gym to revise for my first year university exams and stumbled across CoC grippers. I decided to go for the #1 as i reckoned i had a decent grip and sure enough i was able to close it for 3 or 4 reps straight out of the packet with a partial set. A few weeks later, i had hit 10 reps with the #1 with a range just wider than parallel and so i bought the #2. Managed to partial set close the #2 out of the packet too, at which point i was feeling like a bit of a beast. A month or so later i have hit 5 reps with the #2 (again with a range just beyond parallel) and couldn't wait to get my hands on the #3. It arrived a few days ago, the spread is a good 1/8" more than the #1 or #2 and needless to say i haven't managed to get it shut just yet, best effort is getting the handles parallel from a partial set. My long term goal is to be able to TNS the #3, but in the short term i would like to MMS close it this year if possible.

Height: 6"0

Weight: 88kg

Hand size: 7 3/4"

Welcome to the board!

Very good strength to be starting off with there mate! You should post a video of yourself tackling the #3, then we can make pointers on technique and stuff. Nice goals.

Good luck with your training.

Pete

Hey everybody,

My name is John, I'm 39 yrs old...6'2" 260lbs. I have a background in shot put and discus, but over the years I've strayed away from my roots of heavy lifting. Over the past year I've gotten back into heavy training and competed in a couple deadlift meets...my best so far has been 585 and I'm now training for another meet in December.

I've just recently gotten into grip training as I now realize it's been a missing component in my training...however, I love the fact that's it's also a sport unto it's own.

My starting hand strength is pretty modest as can be expected of someone new to this...I can close the COC#2 for a set of about 5 full reps in each hand (I just got my 2.5 in the mail yesterday, so I'll see how that goes on Tuesday)...I single hand pinched two 25's and was kinda close to getting two 35's off the ground the first time I tried pinch gripping (I'm running out today to get more 10's to see how many I can pinch)...and I two hand pinched 120lbs which made me feel like a little girl.

I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive sometimes....so I've already set up a dedicated area in my garage for grip training with a homemade wall mounted wrist roller...8lb sledge hammer...COC grippers #1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 & 3...two hand pinch apparatus and a homemade apollon's axle. On Monday, the UPS man should be delivering my Rolling Thunder handle w/loading pin and I also have on order the gripper machine from EliteFTS...pricey, but what the hell.

My immediate goals are to close the COC#2.5, single hand pinch two 35's, single hand pinch five 10's and continue to collect more stuff! Once I get a feel for where I'm at on the axle and rolling thunder, I'll set goals for them too.

I'm truly inspired by the feats of strength of the posters on this board. I'm hoping to learn fast so I can compete at some point in the near future. Are there any promoters in NJ that have contests?

Hello Everyone, I'm new here, excuse my bad english I'm from belgium, I'm addicted to the COC I fold the 2.5, bc I was wrong to go number 3, I hope to read good advice. a bientot.pascal

Welcome to all new members ! Nice to see a Belgian guy on this forum.

Edited by Joefrey
  • Like 1

Hi my name is Rodney,

I have been off and on the gripboard for a few years but have never made any posts. Currently I can knock out 2 to 3 good reps on my COC#2.